1930s Hall of Fame

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Way to go, abderite.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Because the smart ones think it's deep lol
You just implied you're not smart. You roasted yourself!

Make Way For Tomorrow is 90 minutes of glorious guilt, a pair of elderly parents invite their four(though they have five) children to an evening dinner when they reveal that they are going to lose their house. The father retired for four years spent his savings and now both parents need to be taken in and taken care of. The children...terrible horrible children split the parents up one going to California the other to New York.

One of the things I love about the 1930's is you get these complicated films about complicated emotions with older actors. Films like Min and Bill, Lady for a Day, and Dodsworth touch on aging and aspects of life that contemporary (though really from the 50's up) had no interest in. So movies like this become sort of unicorns to be treasured and valued.

What this film is about it basically the human condition, often times in the film it's the unsaid moments. When the mother is speaking on the phone to her husband and the crowd playing cards are all dealing with existential crisis on their own. Or when the couple has to say goodbye at the end knowing that their is a decent chance one of them will pass away soon.

And I'm sorry if you don't see the artistic value in scenes like that.

...One of the things I love about the 1930's is you get these complicated films about complicated emotions with older actors. Films like Min and Bill, Lady for a Day, and Dodsworth touch on aging and aspects of life that contemporary (though really from the 50's up) had no interest in...
That's a good point you made. It does seem like after the 1930s, movies focused on the stories of the elderly and told from their point of view, were few and far between. I hadn't seen Make Way For Tomorrow until this HoF, it's an impressive film.

Cool beans! We're all doing great which is a good thing as the deadline is in just 5 days on the 28th.

Cosmic Runaway, PahaK & Nathaniel are done.
And Cricket, Edarsenal, Siddon and myself have only 1 more film to go. I'm watching my last one, Scarlett Empress tonight.

Edarsenal is going to host the 30s Hof Part 2 which will start shortly after this one ends. Hope everyone will join that, it should be small so easy to do.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Part 2 WILL BE a mad race since it'll be a short run, finishing off BEFORE The 30s Countdown which starts after the September 30 due date for all lists.
But with the the usually short film lengths and, most likely, small group of participants, we should be able to knock it out. So, this will be the one to get a personal favorites that you may feel few know about that you'd love folks to consider for their lists.

And that is a solid remark about such a small amount of films about older folks. I can only think of a couple, myself and more than are set up on someone old thinking back about when they were young.
And Make Way For Tomorrow is quite the excellent hidden gem.
I also want to commend @pahaK for speaking as he felt, gotta respect that.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Child Bride

Well. . .

To be truly honest, I am actually a little befuddled on what, exactly, to write about this.

I imagine I will get the obvious points out of the way.

Yeah, the acting was very hammy. My guess would be, since this was intended more as a public message against Child Brides, as the opening credits suggest, it kinda set the level of production talent a bit low. Though, considering what it was aiming at, I could almost look past that. For the simple fact that I actually did get concerned over the people of the story, even between the eye rolls I had with the acting.

There was a potential to make something pretty d@mn haunting and gritty, considering much of the aspects and situations that played out.
But, being a Public Message against Child Marriage, it's intent was to sensationalize, and thereby, shock and offend. So that upset citizens would speak up and out about Child Marriage and do something to outlaw it.

As for the swimming scene. . . well, to be honest, I simply saw a kid swimming in the nude. Not frolicking, or playfully splashing about with a sly/demure look. She simply went swimming. At one point calling her dog in to join her. Should we be concerned of the possible bestiality that some sicko would fantasize about, because of it?
The only "dirty" thing was the pervert watching her, and that's on that character. Not on a kid swimming in a pond.
The perversity was up on the ridge, watching, not in the pond.

Not much more to say, except I did enjoy the badly done fist fight and how the guy gets shot on his wedding day. I actually was worried that it was gonna be Freddie who would shoot him and go to jail for it.

Eh, hate to be cocky, but I might very well have the most well-developed, eclectic, all-embracing taste here.
To me well-developed and all-embracing don't mix. All-embracing is more synonymous with no taste, brainless consuming of everything like being a cinephile version of a black hole that swallows everything without emotion, without hate or love.

@pahaK

All-embracing is more synonymous with no taste
There is no such thing as no taste. You can have a bad taste, but you've still got one. That's one.

All-embracing does not mean loving everything, but loving something in everything. That is, finding a movie you love in every genre, movement, niche... And experiencing all those vastly different ways of filmmaking. Open-mindness and eagerness to discover new things, new perspectives. That's two.

brainless consuming of everything like being a cinephile version of a black hole that swallows everything without emotion, without hate or love.
Oh, I believe that everbody (even Marvel fans) do show emotions, hate, or love when watching movies. That's three.

All-embracing does not mean loving everything, but loving something in everything. That is, finding a movie you love in every genre, movement, niche... And experiencing all those vastly different ways of filmmaking. Open-mindness and eagerness to discover new things, new perspectives. That's two.
This was the everything I was referring to. I find it hard to believe that anyone will honestly love something in everything. I don't find such taste (or lack of it, a matter of taste in itself) either achievable or pursuable.

Also it's definitely different from open-mindedness and eagerness to discover new things you mention. That is a goal I too consider worthy of chasing and for me it is the main reason I'm attending HoF's even though it often means watching films I don't like.

I'll leave you now to your ivory tower and return to my beloved mediocrity.

This was the everything I was referring to. I find it hard to believe that anyone will honestly love something in everything.
Your lack of faith astounds me. Surely, compared to a dauntless traveller who's penetrated all corners of Earth, a countryman who never left his village is a guy who thinks it's simply impossible to find the women of Amazonia pretty, the cousine of China tasty, and the tribal dances of Papuan tribes poetic.
Also it's definitely different from open-mindedness and eagerness to discover new things you mention. That is a goal I too consider worthy of chasing and for me it is the main reason I'm attending HoF's even though it often means watching films I don't like.
Fair enough, but if you watch enough new films, you will discover ones you love. It's just an inevitable consequence. And by discovering other films made the same year, getting to know how they were made back then, and getting a grasp, expanding your sensibilities, you become more sensitive to cinema in general, and every kind of film in particular. Naturally, there are films you will get immediately, but then you've got plenty of cinema that needs you digging deeper to fully understand it (on emotional level).
I'll leave you now to your ivory tower and return to my beloved mediocrity.
Academic approach to film kills it. Watch movies with your heart, not your mind. I believe that since films speak directly to the heart, it's only natural for a heart to speak directly about films.

Scarlet Empress seems like it was made to be a silent film and that was retrofitted for sound. Marlene Dietrich goes from I assume 12 to 30 in the story as rather than try and pinpoint a period of time the director chooses to cover Catharine the Great for a generation. Having an actress in her 30's playing an ingenue is unfortunate and doesn't really work with modern sensibilities.

Dietrich carries the film though because every other character in the film is grossly over the top with a style of acting that would have worked with a silent film but falls apart with sound. Visually the film is a delight though, the crazy set pieces, long tracking shots even breaks for humor and montages work really well for the story.

The Scarlet Empress (1934)

I really liked this and for one reason, the sets are amazing! Those sculptures, wow! If I could give an Academy Award to the designer of those statues...I would. That was one of the coolest looking sets I've seen. It's so amazing how the sculptures impact an emotional statement about Russia and gives the film this heavy dark feeling. I mean look at the emotions that pour out of them! They're contorted, they're forlorn and forsaken, their in misery...as is the Russian peasant in this movie. And if that wasn't enough darkness there's a torture montage at the beginning of the film....that let's us know we're not in Kansas anymore.

Kudos to the director for world building which makes the film. I felt like the Tsars castle was this dark, heavy, dreadful place with huge rooms and heavy wooden beam construction. I loved the use of staircases, which made the film three dimensional, in a two dimensional medium. This is world building! I'm glad that most of the scenes took place in the castle, as it felt like a real place that could be explored (at one's own peril) vs a Hollywood set. So impressive.

I said at the start of this HoF that I had never seen The Scarlet Empress, but I realized when watching it that I had seen it. I remember the way the Russian castle felt, like I had been there in a dream. I didn't remember any details at all. But my wife remembered the horses charging up the staircase. A very cool scene if I say so.

Glad to have watched it again.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	46366  

@CosmicRunaway @cricket @edarsenal @pahaK @Nathaniel @Siddon

We're done! and I was the last one to finish, ha But we did all finish and ahead of schedule too, very cool guys!

I'm going to do the results tomorrow. What time are you guys going to be online? Let me know AND let me know what time zone your in. OR if you want to be helpful, convert your time to PST, that's the time zone I'm in. I'll try to do the results when the most HoF members are online.

If this time zone converter I'm using is right, I'll be home from work a little after 5:30am Pacific, and will gone to bed by 2:30pm. I always convert to and front Eastern (since that's easier and I actually remember that one) so in case the converter is wrong, that's between 8:30am and 5:30pm Eastern.

But as always, I can just catch up on the reveal the next day since I know my schedule is vastly different than most people's, and it's best to cater to the majority. I'll be up for work again by 10:30pm? Pacific/1:30am Eastern, so if you do the reveal in the evening, I won't actually be too late checking out the results haha.