1930s Hall of Fame

Tools    

Glad to hear you like Bachelor Mother, Cosmic. I couldn't tell you anything about the score, lighting, etc either, as I was into the world of Polly and David.

I think the funniest part to me was when David went to the complaints department to return the broken duck. I loved the way Ginger was hidden behind the counter and was feeding him lines...and he actually reported them word for word. I liked that for some reason.

Make Way For Tomorrow
(1937)

Director: Leo McCarey
Starring: Beulah Bondi, Victor Moore, Thomas Mitchell

I was not immediately drawn into Make Way For Tomorrow's opening scene, since there was something about the performances that seemed strangely amateur. The delivery of certain lines almost made me feel like I was watching a high school play. There was an intentional awkwardness there, which does get explained when we learn more about the family dynamics, but the whole situation just didn't sit right with me. I was honestly worried that I wasn't going to be able to enjoy the film at all, but fortunately that wasn't the case.

Warning: The following two paragraphs contain spoilers.

It took a little while, but the performances did start to grow on me. I found myself becoming more and more engaged with the story, and by the time that first phone call was over (the one which interrupted the bridge lesson), the old couple had worked their way into my heart. Their relationship and unwavering love for each other was incredibly sweet, and I'd be lying if I said that their inability to be together didn't cause my eyes to water just a little bit. I think the most memorable scene for me was when Lucy demanded that her husband never know that she was going to an old age home. It was incredibly touching, especially since she also sparring George from having to send her away himself.

After having skimmed some reviews that focused on how emotional the film was, the ending was actually not as depressing as I was anticipating. Yes, it's likely that they may never see each other again, but at least the hope is still alive. Even if that day together was their final goodbye, it was an experience they'd surely remember. I appreciated that the film didn't force an overly sentimental or unrealistically happy ending. We do at least get the satisfaction of seeing the children finally confronted with the fact that they treated their parents poorly, which was another of my favourite scenes.

So despite a rocky start, I did end up liking the film quite a bit. There were some lighter moments here and there which prevented the situation from being completely heartbreaking, while still staying grounded in realism. It's definitely not the kind of film you watch to lift your spirits, but it's not something unpleasant either. I'm glad it was nominated because it's definitely not something I would've tracked down on my own

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tomorrow.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	45918  

I hardly recognized Beulah Bondi in her old age make up...She was actually 47 at the time of the movie.
I never would've guessed that she was so young at the time of filming.

How is it that they managed to do such a good job ageing an actress in the 30s, yet modern films often do it terribly? (*cough*Prometheus*cough*)

It destroys me every time. Leaving it till last haha.

Anyone got a link for Pepe?

...How is it that they managed to do such a good job ageing an actress in the 30s, yet modern films often do it terribly? (*cough*Prometheus*cough*)
They were good at makeup back then weren't they! I'm impressed.

The makeup artist for Make Way for Tomorrow was Wally Westmore. The Westmore's are a multi generational family-dynasty of Hollywood makeup artist. 1000s upon 1000s of movies have had a Westmore as the makeup artist. Their descendants still work doing makeup today.

They even have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame

Westmore's Wiki
Attachments

Name:	WestmoreStar.jpeg
Views:	281
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	45924  

That reminds me of Max Von Sydow who was only 43 when they filmed The Exorcist

Up until a couple of years ago, I always thought it was an elderly actor. When I started watching Bergman movies, I was so confused.

That reminds me of Max Von Sydow who was only 43 when they filmed The Exorcist
That is another fact that continues to shock me every time it's brought up, despite the fact that I've heard it before. It's like my brain refuses to believe it or commit it to memory.

Child Bride
(1938)

Director: Harry Revier
Starring: Shirley Mills, Bob Bollinger, Diana Durrell

While there have been films in previous Hall of Fames that I haven't exactly enjoyed, I'm usually able to understand why they are appreciated, or find at least one positive thing to say. This is the first time where that is not going to be the case, and I'm still uncertain how to feel about that. As such, this review is probably going to be significantly shorter than what I would typically write.

Child Bride is not the film I was expecting it to be. I was mentally prepared to watch a dark, exploitative, and truly uncomfortable story. However, what I got was a boring, tedious film that felt like an eternity despite its short runtime. I am not exaggerating when I say that this was one of the worst films I've ever seen. The performances were absolutely appalling, especially from the adults, though the script didn't exactly give them the best material to work with. One thing I am grateful for is the fact that the film's best actor, the dog, remained unharmed on screen. So I guess I did technically think of something positive after all.

Attachments

Name:	Child.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	45931  

Interesting trivia, the little person (Don Barrett), is Angelo Rossitto who was 'Master' in the Master-Blaster of Mad Maxx Beyond Thunder Dome.
I thought his voice sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it.

Child Bride was actually recommended to me by someone on the forum before. Any guesses as to who?
Minio? Swan? I have no idea.

Child Bride is not the film I was expecting it to be. I was mentally prepared to watch a dark, exploitative, and truly uncomfortable story. However, what I got was a boring, tedious film that felt like an eternity despite its short runtime. I am not exaggerating when I say that this was one of the worst films I've ever seen.
I'm not saying it's great but I could probably come up with hundreds of films I liked less in an hour armed with google and IMDb But it's good that people have differing tastes and I'm not going to argue. Majority of people haven't liked my HoF16 nom either and my noms in song tournaments seem to get equally little love so this is nothing new.

I'm not saying it's great but I could probably come up with hundreds of films I liked less in an hour armed with google and IMDb But it's good that people have differing tastes and I'm not going to argue. Majority of people haven't liked my HoF16 nom either and my noms in song tournaments seem to get equally little love so this is nothing new.
The fact that you don't complain or put down the taste of others totally outweighs a couple of poorly received nominations.

...But it's good that people have differing tastes and I'm not going to argue. Majority of people haven't liked my HoF16 nom either.
The first main Hof I entered, was the 8th Hof, my nom came in second to last. So look at it this way, you have something to aim for next time.

You're OK in my book Pahak And btw I liked both your noms, though I didn't love them by any means. They were interesting. I'm glad you've joined Hofs and I hope you'll join more.

I don't think any two people have exactly the same taste, and even generally beloved films have their detractors. The same person can easily love one of your favourites, but hate your next one. I think that's what makes these HoFs so interesting.

I've had nominations end up just a couple of points away from first place, and I've also had a film come in dead last. That's all part of the fun as well.

So yeah, I hope that no one feels completely disheartened by any negative reactions to their nominations. Even if your film doesn't ultimately place high in the rankings, it's been shared with people who might not have watched it otherwise. And there's always next time, as long as you don't give up.

I don't know if this is true for any one else, but I've never regretted watching any nomination, even if I didn't enjoy them. It's the experience (as well as any discussions that might come out of them) that really counts.

Pépé le Moko (1937)

Cheers cricket & Citizen for the help finding this

The main thing that strikes me about this film is the atmosphere. I feel like it's transported me to Algiers for 90+ minutes. Through its tight alleyways and sweaty criminal underworld. Impeccably shot. Like really damn impeccably shot. To manage to do that with this set design...excellent. It's been a good few years since I've seen it, probably when I was first going through Renoir, Carné & Duvivier.

Pépé's story is tragic, longing for a return to a France that he views with nostalgia. Only enhanced when combined with the thing he loves as much as France; women. Gabin is great here. I think his usual cynicism worked pretty well and it only adds to his excellent '36-'39 stretch of filmography. I found it difficult to feel much sympathy for his character but it's interesting to watch him again portray someone firmly in the realm of grey. It is very much a noir in the way the plot plays out so I can see it having had somewhat of an influence in America. Particularly with the US remake and the offers Gabin received after this film made its way over.

It's a good mix of the poetic and the thriller. And there are some fine tense moments. In particular, one section involving Pierrot and Régis had me on the edge of my seat, it is so well done and paced perfectly. However, there's a feeling that it is a tad lightweight from a character or plot perspective and that's probably why I don't love it. There just isn't much to delve into beyond Pépé's characterisation. I also think that the police are hilariously incompetent. Minor complaints though as I still think it's very good. Loved the ending too. Worth watching for the production alone even if noir is not your bag.

I don't know if this is true for any one else, but I've never regretted watching any nomination, even if I didn't enjoy them. It's the experience (as well as any discussions that might come out of them) that really counts.
I've watched five and haven't regretted one so far.

In all seriousness, I am enjoying this quite a bit and I definitely intend to take part in more HoFs as they show up. For me, the differing thoughts on each film is the main appeal.

@Citizen Rules @CosmicRunaway

I'm not sure if you misunderstood me. I'm not disheartened or sad if my nominations aren't liked. I don't participate in these to compete for the "victory" but to have an incentive to watch potentially good or interesting films that I wouldn't otherwise pick. That's also how I choose my nominations; something I expect majority haven't seen but I like a lot and/or find otherwise interesting. Also because tastes vary I try not to choose overtly long films.

I'll be joining more HoFs for sure. I may skip one every now and then if I don't feel like watching as much movies as I do now but it won't have anything do with the (lack of) success of my prior nominations.