Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I really like him as well. As I said above, I dont care for the stuff actors do outside of work. Lovely score, especially the cello piece Gabi plays for her backstory, for once a bright colour scheme that didnt offend me, and I just really related to Charlie. His opening story is gut wrenching. I'm not sure who Bel Powley is off the top of my head but thought Rupert Grint did a pretty fine job away from Harry Potter, and Bucharest for the location was a lovely choice. For me it brought in the creepy yet beautiful atmosphere of Hostel which set the mood for Nigel and Darko (bit of a reach there but just the late night mood I was in). I really dont see what the critic's gripe was.
Bel Powley was in the 2nd photo movie, not this one. I was amused by Mads’s character being named Nigel. Doubt very much that Scandinavians use this name.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I was amused by Mads’s character being named Nigel. Doubt very much that Scandinavians use this name.
LOL same for me. Nigel No Friends, and there is no doubt at all why he had none. god that was a good performance, and I loved the chemistry between him and Gabi.

This might just do nobody any good.
I mean, there’s nothing I can really say about Casablanca anymore, right? It’s great, the performances are the stuff of Hollywood legend and, like all truly great efforts, the parodies, the homages and other decades worth of referencing never actually factor in any negative way while viewing it. There’s all those quotes I knowingly and unknowingly used throughout my life. It’s so economical. By the time Ilsa and Victor come in, it feels like you’ve seen a whole narrative go by. Characters like Ugarte, Yvonne and Annina feel fully realized and that’s before you get to most sweeping of romances.

Edit: I should shoutout Claude Rains for a most charming performance. A pragmatic and humorous man stuck amidst tragedy. I love him.

More than any of that, however, it’s Bergman’s close-up while she’s listening to Sam play “As Time Goes By” that I think will stick with me forever. I gasped a bit.

Love the poster you used in movie your watching tonight thread (although not sure if it's a poster or not). Great movie.

It was a screenshot.

That’s another thing - despite it being my first viewing, there was that familiarity with the images, the vistas, the locations, their names and the characters’ that had been embedded in me by cultural osmosis.

I wonder when the last time I felt that was... my first time watching The Godfather, maybe? I guess I’ll get it back the day I finally watch Citizen Kane.

I’ll get it back the day I finally watch Citizen Kane.
I bought Citizen Kane recently & I am determined to sit down & finish it, which is something I have never been able to do. Inspired by @Citizen Rules.

I bought Citizen Kane recently & I am determined to sit down & finish it, which is something I have never been able to do. Inspired by @Citizen Rules.
I still have it on my watchlist as well.

Doubt very much that Scandinavians use this name.
They don't. At all. But any parent anywhere ay any time could be subject to a perceived "cool name choice" as evidenced by the couple of Dexters born in 2011 here.

Is his character meant to be Scandinavian?

They don't. At all. But any parent anywhere ay any time could be subject to a perceived "cool name choice" as evidenced by the couple of Dexters born in 2011 here.

No clue, but when I see Mads I presume his character is Scandinavian. Which makes no sense, I know.

Nigel is not used in America, BTW. Only a few West Indians here use the name. It’s the name of my favorite brother.

No clue, but when I see Mads I presume his character is Scandinavian. Which makes no sense, I know.

Nigel is not used in America, BTW. Only a few West Indians here use the name. It’s the name of my favorite brother.
Lmao Nigel should never be used tbh. It's a bit like Horatio in ridiculous names that have no busibess beng called out in throes of passion.

Lmao Nigel should never be used tbh. It's a bit like Horatio in ridiculous names that have no busibess beng called out in throes of passion.
Gotta disagree love. I love the name Nigel & it perfectly suits my middle bro.

Totally not awkward right now...

I can’t imagine anyone younger than 50 with the name Nigel.

I like it as well, especially for Mads in that role. Totally does not suit such a vicious, sad character.

The Nun's Story (1959)

Kind of an epic "hero's journey" type of movie with Audrey Hepburn as a nun, struggling between her natural independence and adhering to her vows of obedience.
I'd dare to call this a feminist movie, but where those holding the reigns of power aren't so much the members of "man's" world, but the Catholic church and the order of nuns themselves (the church in no way is portrayed as the "bad guy," but the message is clear that complete, life-long, religious commitment may not be for everyone, especially strong-willed daughters of world-renowned surgeons who are very intelligent scientists themselves). The story takes place prior to WWII and ends at the beginning of the war.

Some of the scenery is very nice (as much of it was shot on-site). My only fault of the film is that it's a bit slow moving while being 2.5 hours long, so may not be for everybody as "Sister Luke" travels from one position and set of challenges to another.

P.S. Keep an eye out for Colleen Dewhurst in an early role in probably the film's only "action" scene! (I thought she was Faye Dunaway at first, but realized this film would be too early for her). Plus, Peter Finch is in the movie - he's mad as hell and he's not gonna take it anymore!

I saw that a few times when I ws at school. Good movie and the two leads are fantastic, but scratching my head at the idea that the catholic church and feminism works in the same sentence.

Most interesting man in the world
Pee-wee's Big Adventure 1985 8 / 10

"When eccentric man-child Pee-Wee Herman gets his beloved
bike stolen in broad daylight, he sets out across the
U.S. on the adventure of his life."

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)

Wanted to see this just before the 2018 Oscars so I rented it. I love this movie. Frances McDormand was excellent here, and I expected no less. The director, Martin McDonagh, wrote the part with McDormand in mind, so it was truly tailor-made for her. There are certain actors and actresses that you look back on and say "Well, that role was just perfect for him/her" or "the role fit them like a glove." Such is the case here. It's a perfect marriage. The story should now be known to most movie lovers, but for those who don't know, it's a simple set-up: A woman in a small Missouri town has waited a long time for the police to find her daughter's murderer. So, sick of waiting, she rents out three billboards asking the police, particularly the chief (Woody Harrelson), why nothing was been done. Given that, though the set-up may be simple, the fallout from these signs is anything but.

McDormand's grieving mother has moved beyond the crying stage and is angry and immovable, setting most of the town against her. That Harrelson's chief is very sick and garners the town's sympathy doesn't help her cause. There are some instances of people trying to bully her to get her to back down but she absolutely will not budge and if anything becomes more resolute. Another potential roadblock is the violent-tempered mama's boy of a deputy played wonderfully by Sam Rockwell, who butts heads with McDormand, with neither flinching. In fact, everyone in her life or town is affected in some way: the chief and his family, her teen son, her ex-husband and his very young love, the printer she hired for the billboards, her best friend and co-worker, etc. etc.

The main three acting honors of course start with McDormand, continue with Harrelson, and complete the circle with Rockwell, who are all nominated for Oscars and deservedly so. But the rest of the cast is fine: Caleb Landry Jones, Lucas Hedges, John Hawkes, Peter Dinklage, Sandy Martin, Zeljko Ivanek, Abbie Cornish, Amanda Warren, Kathryn Newton...and so many more. An impeccable cast where every role adds to the overall scope of the movie and nothing is wasted. Director Martin McDonagh has done an amazing job with this film, going from bits of black humor to total darkness to sympathy to redemption to uncertainty---so many themes all rolled up into one solid satisfying whole. Great movie.