Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

It's like Rob Zombie's origin aspects of his Halloween remake, for me an origin story of Leatherface isn't really needed. Lili Taylor was excellent as usual and her casting was what got me interested in this film, and the actor who plays the young Leatherface was an interesting choice but apart from that, rather disappointing.

Punch-Drunk Love
7,5/10
The movie's ambient polution to summarize Barry's psycho struggles annoyed me a little bit, but I enjoyed the movie's script and Sandler's acting was mostly good.
Good points. The acting was good (love Emily Watson's expressiveness), but I'm not a fan of schlemiel/putz stories, even when they're trying to be off-beat. Sandler's character reminded me of Jackie Gleason's "The Poor Slob".

Had I seen this film when it came out I wouldn't have had such high expectations for Phantom Thread. But what was most irritating about the film was it's neurotically busy dreadful music score by Jon Brion. Good Lord.

~Doc

Se correr o bicho pega. Se ficar o bicho come.
Good points. The acting was good (love Emily Watson's expressiveness), but I'm not a fan of schlemiel/putz stories, even when they're trying to be off-beat. Sandler's character reminded me of Jackie Gleason's "The Poor Slob".

Had I seen this film when it came out I wouldn't have had such high expectations for Phantom Thread. But what was most irritating about the film was it's neurotically busy dreadful music score by Jon Brion. Good Lord.

~Doc
That's it, I've got very uncomfortable with those nonsense sort of drums, IDK.

Persuasion ('95) - 9/10

One of the best Austen adaptations, coming in the '90s Janeitism slew of movies & mini-series & spin-offs. Well made period piece with stately British understatement (the most dramatic point is when a lady falls and bangs her head during a seaside promenade); nicely authentic candle-lighting and street scenes. Also very good acting performances: Ciáran Hinds carries off the hero (ie: best available bachelor) role with aplomb; heroine Anne is played perfectly by Amanda Root, as are the roles of her sisters Mary (self-centred hypochondriac) and Elizabeth (haughty and vacuous snob).

25th Hour (2002) - Spike Lee

- All-around amazing rewatch. Ed Norton is fantastic and Barry Pepper also shine in the movie. 4min monologue scene is a thing of a beauty. Ending is great.
-

Welcome to the human race...
Just for having the unmitigated gall to post that at me...

The City of Lost Children -

Great film that is mainly worth watching for featuring Ron Perlman at his most Suspect:

https://tvbookmark.com/
John Wick (2014) 8/10

Persuasion ('95) - 9/10

One of the best Austen adaptations, coming in the '90s Janeitism slew of movies & mini-series & spin-offs. Well made period piece with stately British understatement (the most dramatic point is when a lady falls and bangs her head during a seaside promenade); nicely authentic candle-lighting and street scenes. Also very good acting performances: Ciáran Hinds carries off the hero (ie: best available bachelor) role with aplomb; heroine Anne is played perfectly by Amanda Root, as are the roles of her sisters Mary (self-centred hypochondriac) and Elizabeth (haughty and vacuous snob).
I haven't seen that one but I liked the adaptation with Sally Hawkins very much.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
When We First Met

(Ari Sandel)

I made the mistake of reading a bit about this film while I was watching it. I had no idea that it was a time travel movie. Did I just make the mistake of telling you too? I'll say no and go with the fact that I'm an idiot as my defense. When We First Met is a romantic comedy that feels like a mix between Groundhog Day and Click and it does a good job of separating itself enough to feel like its own thing.

Noah meets the girl of his dreams, Avery, at a Halloween party. They hit it off instantly having what he calls, the best night of his life. He goes in for the kiss at the end of the night and receives a hug and the moniker "friend". Flash-forward 3 years and she is now getting married to a handsome, athletic all around nice guy Ethan. Depressed, Noah gets drunk at the engagement party and Avery's roommate Carrie has to drive him home. He forces her to drive him to his work instead, which happens to be a bar. In his sorrows he sits in a photo booth, the exact one he and Avery used 3 years ago and wishes he had another chance when they first met. Boom. He time travels to that exact night and is given another chance to woo the girl of his dreams.

What makes this film a little more interesting than the generic 'Groundhog Day' rip-off is that I also mentioned it feels like Click. In that film Sandler's remote is broken on fast forward and he misses years of his life and has to patch together what has happened in his past to understand why he is where he is now. This film incorporates the same thing. Each night Noah tries something different to bag the girl of his dreams and after each night we go forward 3 years and see where they would have ended up in each scenario. In one scenario Noah plays the "bad boy" angle and they make out that night. Flash forward 3 years and he wakes up in bed beside her. He's excited, but when he goes to show affection she turns away. Apparently their relationship has turned into "booty-calls" and nothing more. This is heartbreaking for Noah as he wants a more tangible relationship.

Each time he goes back he tries something new to win her over until he realizes something and does that one thing that makes things "good" in the end. This is telegraphed very early and comes as no surprise when it happens. Adam Devine plays Noah, he was given a chance to re-write aspects of the script to suit his comedy style, most of it works. He's a likable guy in the role and manages to showcase a little bit more than just his comedy chops. This film actually made me realize how bland Alexandra Daddario is. I'm not sure if it is just how the character is suppose to be perceived or her, I hope it's the former because it works in favour of the film. I really liked Shelley Hennig as the roommate. She had a natural feel, despite one common phrase that became annoying. She was also good in the terrible film Unfriended, so I hope to see more from her in the future.

When We First Met is a typical romantic comedy that checks off all the boxes, but does it in a slightly fresh way. I didn't mind it even though I usually hate that kind of stuff. The material is a fresh enough take on an old road map that you forgive some of the short comings.

Suspect's Reviews

Pillow Talk (1959)

One of the great romantic comedies from the '50s-early '60s. It still holds up today. It's impossible to watch and not get a few belly laughs.

~Doc

Good documentary. Weiner was a very likeable charismatic politician who would have made a good mayor in the City, IMO. Unfortunately he shot himself in the foot & is now in prison. So self-destructive.

This might just do nobody any good.
Unfortunately he shot himself in the foot
Shot a bit higher, I think.