Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Stands up to every rewatch. Great acting.

Excellent documentary.

Copenhagen (2014)

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Walter Hill's 1978 masterpiece is a hard bar to hurdle

Mehhhhh. If you're expecting this to be as good as Drive or The Driver, you'll be disappointed. Run-of-the-mill crime thriller that feels like the B-level movie that it is.

5/10[/quote]

The truth is in here
The Mangler

The Mangler... What can I say about The Mangler? It tells the story about these factory workers, who under very hard conditions work with folding laundry. One day someone gets hurt by one of them. The overhead Bill Gartley gives it no attention and passes it off as just another working accident. The next day things get really grim, when poor Mrs. Frawley gets stuck in the machine... AND CRUSHED BY IT! It's very gory and hard to watch, but at the same time I couldn't stop laughing at Gartley's outrageously over-the-top behavior. That scene sets the tone for the rest of the movie. Tobe Hooper really does a great job presenting this thing as a real menace, silly as the idea of a murderous laundry-folding machine may be.

At first it looks like it's going to be about Sherry (as well as Lin Sue), but that turns out not to be the case. We get to a scene with two people driving a truck with a fridge from the factory inside. A policeman gets really mad and stops them. They always drop it on him while carrying it. A cause of evil or just regular tomfoolery? Who knows. After this point the story switches to the perspective of police officer John Hunton, as well as his dearest (but also annoying) best friend Mark Jackson. The Stephen King trademark is vividly present here, as he's known for creating very colorful and zany characters. Hunton's grumpiness compared with Jackson's overexaggerated friendliness and clumsy nature makes for a really entertaining duo. Mark made me laugh many times, and Daniel Matmor turns in a wonderfully hammy performance. Ted Levine is equally a blast to watch, as he continually switches from distressed and muttering to screaming really crazily whenever the moment calls for it. Vanessa Pike is very believable as the frail and traumatized Sherry, but if there's anyone who loves being in this movie most of all, it's Robert Englund. His portrayal of this heinously evil and demented (and also hilarious) boss of this mangler factory is such a joy to watch that even if all the supernatural elements got too much for me, I couldn't bring myself to give this movie a low rating.

As the movie goes on one revelation after another gets more and more ridiculous, which only heightens the enjoyment. Because of the strong directing by Hooper it manages to stay suspenseful even in the bizzarrest moments. And trust me, by the end, it gets really bonkers. If you love that sort of stuff however, it will give any fan of the inanimate horror genre a reason to smile throughout.

WARNING: spoilers below
I really have to give the ending praise as well. After all the horrible ordeal Sherry has gone through with that godawful machine, she not only goes back to work almost instantly, but gets highly rated by the company and gets to yell at the workers themselves. Not to mention that damn machine is back again. It's slightly darkly comedic, but mostly very sad. It's a striking last scene, and Hunton's decision to throw the roses in the garbage when he first wanted to give them to her sticks out as symbolic for his wilting hope over working conditions and just life in general to be fairer.

Someone might call me crazy for giving this movie so many positives, but Hooper knows what he was doing. He made something with the right mix of the serious and the campy, all the while also managing to throw in a pretty deep subtext about industrial capitalism. Yes, people, even a picture about a laundry-folding machine can have meaning if there's a clever mind behind it.

The Mangler

Someone might call me crazy for giving this movie so many positives, but Hooper knows what he was doing. He made something with the right mix of the serious and the campy, all the while also managing to throw in a pretty deep subtext about industrial capitalism. Yes, people, even a picture about a laundry-folding machine can have meaning if there's a clever mind behind it.

OK, you sold me! I'm trusting you. There's nothing I want more than to rediscover Tobe Hooper films that I'd have otherwise written off as failures. I'm queuing it up next. Thanks for the review!

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

IT (2017)

Lactose intolerant, the definitive version.

Welcome to the human race...
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre -

they took my baby away from me

The Boy in Striped Pajamas - 8/10.

Baby Driver (2017, Edgar Wright)

-

Overall this was loads of fun - often silly but exhilarating. The best thing about the movie was, no doubt, the unbridled kinetic energy of its action/chase sequences, which I thought were brilliantly done. In the acting department, Jon Hamm's performance as Buddy definitely stood out to me the most (esp in the diner 'showdown' toward the end of the movie).

On the down side, I thought the ending was disappointingly dumb and generic - it was almost as though the director had completely run out of ideas by that point. But still, despite its flaws, the movie left me with a good feeling when the end credits rolled.

I never liked the second trilogy but watched this (tried to) on tv last night with Mr D. 1. for Darth Maul and Ray Park's kick arse talent. Unfortunately I didnt last long enough (I'm pretty sure sure he doesnt turn up 15 minutes in) nd 2. To prepare for @Rodents live viewing at xmas time. My god, seems I had forgotten Padme and Anakin's absolutely dreadful cheesy romance. No amount of out of control long man hair or curls can save that absolutely woeful Mills and Boon fanfic. What the hell was George thinking. Sorry Rodent, my rating is a bowl of cat sick and I cant bring myself to join the viewing for trilogy 2, rattus. I feel traumatised. Send medic.

The Mist (Frank Darabont, 2007)

Fun but does lack a little clarity in places

Worth checking out for Reynolds not being able to act. Very sad. I lasted maybe 12 minutes of torture. Bless free to air networks here with having such great taste. My weekend is complete.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Coco

Release Date: November 22

As a Pixar fan, it has been soul damaging walking out of their recent offerings with barely positive reviews. Inside Out was the last film I would consider fantastic, everything post 2010 has been underwhelming to say the least. So I and many other people have looked at Coco as the last glimmer of hope before discarding PIxar as just any other animation studio. So how was it?

I can confidently call this the second amazing Pixar film in the 2010s. Since Toy Story 3, I would say that Inside Out and Coco are the couple that live up to the name of the beloved movie studio.

Miguel as a protagonist is easy to get behind and extremely likable. From the way he carries himself, to his voice, to the way he displays his passion. Lee Unkrich and his team nail the most essential thing: making the audience want our main character to succeed.

The story is structured very particularly and it felt like I was watching something new from Pixar, given the construction of the narrative. Granted, the Pixar formula is still there, and it is extremely present, but this particular story has complexities that differ from anything else in Pixar's filmography. The film does something I haven't seen Pixar do before, and it gives you a disjointed story you have to piece together, and once you get to the end, the result is emotionally fulfilling

This picture is also unsurprisingly very poignant, Pixar is known for bringing those tears, and this film is no exception. The last 10 minutes I would say are emotionally rich, and they bring together this story beautifully. The animation is fantastic, as one would expect. The music is also great; the main theme "Remember Me" is particularly memorable, and is symbolic to the overall plot. But my favorite song is "The World es mi Familia", it's just so catchy, and it also transcends the most important theme of the movie.

The maturity displayed in this film is astounding. I missed seeing some of the very dramatic story beats that normally inhabit Pixar films. Finding Dory and Cars 3 were just too kid-friendly to really sell maturity. The Good Dinosaur tried, but it just tried too hard that it ended up feeling so forced. Coco, on the other hand, like Inside Out nails this down to a tea. It is essentially about death, remembrance, and the importance of family, and the way the themes are executed in no way feel like the filmmakers are talking down to children. There is one flashback scene in particular that surprised me, even for Pixar. I was not expecting to see something so twisted; and I loved it.

The only flaw I have with this film, which keeps me from giving it a perfect score, is the way some of the twists and turns were handled. Don't get me wrong, the twists were effective, and an amazing trigger for some of the film's more raw elements. It's just that the way some of those plot twists connected and resolved themselves often times felt a bit convenient and an easy way to advance the plot. Now, these were not nearly as lazily executed as the ones in Finding Dory, but it is something to note.

Overall, this movie did not disappoint. It is uplifting, heartwarming, poignant, beautiful, complex and a fantastic new entry into Pixar's near-flawless filmography. I would recommend this one to any person

GRADE - 95/100

Halloween IV: The Return of Michael Myers. Ten years after the events of the original Halloween and Halloween II, lunatic killer Michael Myers is in a coma but soon wakes up after learning he has a young niece (Danielle Harris) and heading back to his home town to spread a little bit of Halloween spirit in true blood-soaked style. As ever, the perenially obsessed Dr Loomis (Donald Pleasance) is soon hot on his trail. This 1988 horror flick is not, in my opinion, up there with H20 but is still a fun and entertaining addition to the series.