Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~9~

Bicycle Thieves

Director: Vittorio De Sica
Producer: Giuseppe Amato & Vittorio De Sica
Distributor: Ente Nazionale Industrie Cinematografiche

382 Points - 20 Lists
(1st-2x; 2nd; 4th-4x; 5th-4x;
6th; 7th; 8th; 10th-2x; 12th; 13th; 14th; 18th)

Top Nine Guess (Someone needs to finally beat SC):

01. Casablanca
02. Citizen Kane
03. It's A Wonderful Life
04. Double Indemnity
05. The Third Man
06. Rope
07. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
08. The Maltese Falcon
09. Bicycle Thieves
1 down

Bicycle Thieves is the only one left i've not seen. I own it and am planning on watching it next month, not seen any De Sica yet.

Never seen it - every time I've been meaning to something has sadly put a spoke in the works.

grabs coat off the hook....

My prediction for the rest of the list:

1. Citizen Kane
2. Casablanca
3. The Third Man
4. Double Indemnity
5. It’s A Wonderful Life
6. The Maltese Falcon
7. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
8. Rope

1. casablanca
2. kane
3. third man
4. indemnity
5. falcon
6. wonderful life
7. rope
8. sierra madre
criticker

Bicycle Thieves was all the way at #5 on my list.

My List:

2. Shadow of a Doubt (#17)
3. The Great Dictator (#11)
5. Bicycle Thieves (#9)
8. Notorious (#15)
10. Out of the Past (#32)
11. The Philadelphia Story (#37)
12. Stray Dog (#64)
13. The Grapes of Wrath (#13)
14. Laura (#12)
15. His Girl Friday (#14)
17. Drunken Angel (#54)
18. The Ox-Bow Incident (#39)
19. Sullivan’s Travels (#68)
22. Gaslight (#41)
24. The Lost Weekend (#24)
25. Five Graves to Cairo (1-pointer)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've seen Bicycle Thieves numerous times since I first saw it over 40 years ago at college, but it didn't make my list.
Bicycle Thieves (Vittorio De Sica, 1948)
- Emotional ringer of a flick may be almost as perfect a little film about almost as perfect a little story as any other. A man needs a bike to earn a living for his family after WWII, and after he retrieves it from the pawnshop, he loses it from a thief who needs it for whatever his own reasons. Of course, unless the man can find another bike, his job is now gone. De Sica was one of the founders of the neorealist movement although he always had more-commercial tendencies and came after the real Godfather, Luchino Visconti (Ossessione, La Terra Trema). This flick will always be seen as good, but I just cannot give it a higher rating because it's almost so simple that any one could make it. Sorry, but that's what makes me different (right or wrong) from many of you.

I'm just shocked on Rope and Madres placements. I mean, they just aren't even talked about much here.
Which 40's films are outside of the Hall of Fames really? Think Rope is regularly brought up as the "underrated hitchcock" even though i don't think it is underrated. Have actually seen a fair amount of Madre discussion here too and know quite a few big fans of it. The avatar i most connect Mark F with is still is Bogart in Madre one.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm just shocked on Rope and Madres placements. I mean, they just aren't even talked about much here.
While Rope isn't popular with everybody, it is highly rated by quite a few people - try a search for Hitchcock threads. I know Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a favourite of several members also. I think a few of the top 10 films weren't talked about much in the 40s threads before this list, possibly because everyone assumed everyone else already knew about them and focused more on films they thought might be overlooked.

On the other hand, we could all be wrong and something we're all assuming is top 10 is actually 101 and everybody underestimated Lassie Come Home.

I think it might have to do with members who haven't seen many 1940s films, putting those two towards the top of their list. Those two movies are some of the most well known and watched of the 40s films among MoFos.

Rope was decent, but not that great. On the other hand The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is all kinds of great.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
While Rope isn't popular with everybody, it is highly rated by quite a few people - try a search for Hitchcock threads. I know Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a favourite of several members also. I think a few of the top 10 films weren't talked about much in the 40s threads before this list, possibly because everyone assumed everyone else already knew about them and focused more on films they thought might be overlooked.

On the other hand, we could all be wrong and something we're all assuming is top 10 is actually 101 and everybody underestimated Lassie Come Home.
Nah, I still keep waiting for the monstrous moment where a big film was missed off the list. Unless you include Titanic.