24th; 25th)

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~47~

Director: John M. Stahl
Producer: William A. Bacher
Distributor: 20th Century Fox

98 Points - 7 Lists
(1st; 3rd; 4th; 15th; 20th-2x; 21st)

Another one of mine. Leave Her To Heaven waa my #20. I loved the look of the film and it is a pretty sharp little thriller. Really need to get the baby Blu and watch it again.

~46~

Director: William Dieterle
Producer: William Dieterle & Charles L. Glett
Distributor: RKO Pictures

98 Points - 8 Lists
(4th; 7th; 10th; 14th; 16th; 17th; 19th; 23rd)

~45~

Director: Michael Curtiz
Producer: Jerry Wald
Distributor: Warner Bros.

107 Points - 8 Lists
(2nd; 7th; 10th; 11th; 13th; 16th; 20th; 22nd)

The Devil And Daniel Webster was my 14. I watched it right before the deadline and it fits my tastes perfectly. The only thing keeping it from a perfect s ore and being much higher on my personal list is that lead performance which I really hated. The barn court scene is awesome and the shadows outside the mansion at the party might be the creepiest thing I have seen in a movie.

I contemplated having both Mildred Pierce and Sergeant York (especially that one) on my lists, but neither made it.

The only one out of this set that did was Meet Me In St. Louis. Re-watching it for the first time in a long time for the Musical HoF made me realize just how much I loved that movie. I had it at number 20.

I kind of have a hard time watching The Devil and Daniel Webster because all it does is make me think of this particular episode of The Monkees.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Leave Her to Heaven was on my list! Love Gene Tierney in that!

I have to wonder if the entire top 20 (except for one big one I haven't seen, will he comprised of my entire list.)

Meet Me in St. Louis is not my kind of movie but I can at least say I enjoyed it more than I expected to.

I watched Cat People twice because I wasn't sure how I felt about it the first time. The conclusion I came to is that I like it a lot but not enough to have garnered consideration for my list.

If I watched Leave Her to Heaven again it may have made my list. It has a couple of extremely memorable scenes.

Sergeant York was my #25. It has a great story and another very human performance from Gary Cooper.

The Devil and Daniel Webster was my #19. It's a movie well suited for my taste.

Mildred Pierce was my #20. I thought it started out as a typical noir with a typical bad girl, and then it morphed into something completely different.

My list-

#9 My Darling Clementine (58)
#15 Scarlet Street (73)
#19 The Devil and Daniel Webster (46)
#20 Mildred Pierce (45)
#21 Key Largo (77)
#22 Red River (56)
#24 Pride of the Yankees (59)
#25 Sergeant York (50)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Two more of mine showed - that makes eight already
Meet Me in St. Louis (Vincente Minnelli, 1944)

The greatest movie musical of the 1940s is also one of the great Christmas movies and one of the best family films ever made. The songs: "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", "The Boy Next Door", "Skip to My Loo" and "The Trolley Song" have passed into folklore. Judy Garland's chemistry with Margaret O'Brien is indelible. The Halloween scene where Maggie goes to the scariest house on the block, throws flour in the owner's face and tells him that she hates him is incredible. Basically, this is a film, which is full of joy and laughter, yet makes you cry almost non-stop. If it's not at the top of your Christmas movie list, watch it and move it up. Trust me: the more you watch it, the more you move it up.

The Devil and Daniel Webster (William Dieterle, 1941)

Those are the words that Daniel Webster (Edward Arnold) mulls over early on in this wonderful film, but the Devil, aka Mr. Scratch (Walter Huston), tells him that it doesn't matter much because if he doesn't sell his soul, then Webster will never become President of the United States. These adversaries have much to contribute to this sometimes down-home, sometimes mindblowing adaptation of Stephen Vincent Benet's story. Director William Dieterle, who fled Germany for the U.S. in 1931, is mostly known as Warner Bros. "Go-To" director for various prestigious biographies, many starring Paul Muni, but he should not be shortchanged of his position as one of the more-personal directors working in the Studio System. Besides this classic, he also made such films as the delightful pre-Code Jewel Robbery, Charles Laughton's magnificent The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939) and the trippy noir The Accused (1948).

The premise of the film is that hardworking but dirt-poor farmer Jabez Stone (James Craig in a career performance) is having difficulty on his New England farm (somewhere near the border where Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire meet up). All the farmers in the area are hard up, but Jabez cannot seem to support his pretty young wife Mary (Anne Shirley) and God-fearing Ma (Jane Darwell). Well, when a bag of seed is ripped open and lost, a calf has to be sold to make a property payment, and Mary injures herself, Jabez spits out loud, "Consarn it! Well, if that ain't enough to make a man sell his soul to the Devil...and I would too for about two cents." He realizes what he did and whispers, "I guess nobody heard." Oops! The next thing he knows he finds two pennies in his pocket and this wacko guy Scratch shows up with a contract, offering him seven years of "Money and ALL That Money Can Buy". Jabez accepts the offer, somehow missing out on the importance of what happens after the seven years.

This film was made at RKO and released about five months after the studio put out a little home movie called Citizen Kane. Most of the crew and technicians from Kane also worked on this film, and it shows in the spectacular visuals and sound. One example of something basically unrivaled in film to this day is the scene of the dance/party celebrating Mary's about to give birth. The neighbors have all gathered in Jabez's barn for the occasion while Mary is upstairs in the house going through childbirth with Jabez's Ma's help. Mr. Scratch has brought with him an exotically-attractive woman named Belle (Simone Simon), from "Over the Mountain". The dance scene where Jabez falls helplessly in love with Belle is a masterpiece of lighting, sound, movement, sets, and music; the last part provided by Scratch himself, as he plays the most-devilish version of "Pop Goes the Weasel" on his violin that anyone will ever hear. The score is provided by Bernard Herrmann, who received the film's only Oscar and the only one of his illustrious career. (He was also nominated that year for Citizen Kane.)

The movie culminates in an awesome scene where Jabez Stone goes before a Judge and Jury of the Damned to decide his fate, with Webster defending and the Devil prosecuting. It is a truly memorable ending to a must-see film. When I grew up watching this film on TV, it had already been edited for re-release to 85 minutes. This was done because it was no longer a first-run feature, but the distributor thought they could maximize profits by running it as the second feature in the 1950s with a newer, undoubtedly weaker first run film. That was the version which was available on TV for everyone. So, I'm happy that Criterion has added 22 minutes to make it as long as they could find. It's true that you can often see the difference in the quality of the film's transfer based on what was restored, but that shouldn't matter to a true film buff. It was great at 85 minutes and it's just that much better at 107.
Seen - 56/56
My List
6. Heaven Can Wait (63)
10. The Devil and Daniel Webster (46)
11. Red River (56)
13. Yankee Doodle Dandy (66)
16. A Letter to Three Wives (76)
17. Meet Me in St. Louis (48)
20. Sullivan's Travels (68)
23. Miracle on 34th Street (53)

Glad to see most of those make the countdown (especially Leave Her To Heaven) but none of them made my list

Glad things are beginning to look up a little with regards your ma SV.

I have seen Meet me In St Louis and Cat People. And I voted for Mildred Pierce. It was my number 11.

9. Drunken Angel (1948)
11. Mildred Pierce (1945)
14. Odd Man Out (1947)
17. Kiss of Death (1947)
20. Nightmare Alley (1947)

My List: 5
Seen: 24/56

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Meet Me in St. Louis was my #22. A cute and colourful treat of a movie musical. Leave Her to Heaven is the only other one of that batch I have seen. I liked it but it wasn't in my top 25.

Bingo! I'm so glad to see that two of my Hof movies made the list....and two movies from my Top Ten made the list...and three from my voting list made the Countdown, it's my lucky day

Meet Me in St Louis
was my #24 and was my nom in the Musical Live Action Hof One of the great 1940s musicals and there was a lot of them in that decade. Judy Garland is so special in this sentimental look back to the early 1900s.

Leave Her to Heaven
was my #3, I love this film, it's on my Top 10.
My Review This is by far my favorite Gene Tierney film. It's a sophisticated, slow burn drama-mystery that final developes into a thriller. It does all that while still be somber and reflective and never goes bombastic. This was my nom in the 9th HoF

Mildred Pierce was my #7 and it's also on my Top 10 movies. If you've never seen Joan Crawford before..and I'm not talking about in Feud...then this is a good one to see why she was such a powerhouse.

Sergeant York not on my list but I did consider it. Gary Cooper these days doesn't get the appreciate he deserves, but at least MoFo recognizes his acting skills. I do have another Gary Cooper film on my list.

Cat People
seen it, it was a fun watch, but nothing that stuck out for me. I prefer I Walk With a Zombie over this.

The Devil and Daniel Webster...I have heard of it of course, but
have not seen this yet, but want to.

~44~

Director: Orson Welles
Producer: Orson Welles
Distributor: Columbia Pictures

109 Points - 8 Lists
(6th; 9th; 10th-2x; 11th; 13th; 15th; 25th)

~43~

Director: William Wyler
Producer: Samuel Goldwyn
Distributor: RKO Pictures

109 Points - 9 Lists
(5th; 6th; 8th; 12th-2x; 14th; 22nd-2x; 24th)

The Little Foxes was my #5. Davis is amazing. Love the quick biting dialogue. Darkly comedic and looks incredible. Credit to Cricket for bringing to my attention. Should be much higher.