The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

That is certainly a valid excuse.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

When I was a kid, countdowns counted down a lot faster than this.
Vamp said this:

I am just letting you guys know that I am not home right now. To be honest, I am currently at the hospital for my mother. I am going to be here for the next couple of days for sure because I rode with her to the hospital in the ambulance, and I have no way to get home right now (I don't even have enough for a cab). So it is going to be a while before I can get home and get back to this but I will.

I apologize for it but this is more important right now.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I just want to thank all of you for your thoughts, prayers and kind words. I really, really do appreciate it. To say that it has been hard these past few days is actually an incredible understatement. But I do appreciate the way you guys have been about it. It does make me feel better.

My mother isn't too well at the moment, to be honest. There is hope for things to slowly get better, but there is one thing in particular that is a problem and something that is the most worrisome in this situation. Hopefully over the next few days things will improve with that, too.

I don't want to fall too behind on this countdown. I have been spending a lot of time at the hospital. And I will be there again tomorrow (I left today mainly because my mom was so knocked out - I think she desperately needs the sleep she is getting right now). So there was no real reason for me to be there if she didn't know I was there today.

So I want to get caught up with this countdown. Especially if I can't get a chance to get back to it again in the very near future. If you guys don't mind, I would like to post the movies for the past 4 days, along with today's films. That way we can be caught up, and even if I spend enough time at the hospital, maybe we won't fall so behind again.

I will get the first film posted now (this would've been originally posted on Saturday).

...So I want to get caught up with this countdown. Especially if I can't get a chance to get back to it again in the very near future. If you guys don't mind, I would like to post the movies for the past 4 days, along with today's films. That way we can be caught up, and even if I spend enough time at the hospital, maybe we won't fall so behind again.

I will get the first film posted now (this would've been originally posted on Saturday).
Vamp whatever you need to do, we'll understand. Posting 4 days worth of movies sounds like a good idea to me. And if it's easier on you to post several days worth of movies whenever you get the chance, that would be fine

~60~

Director: Alberto Cavalcanti, Charles Crichton, Robert Hamer & Basil Dearden
Producer: Michael Balcon
Distributor: Eagle-Lion Distributors Limited

78 Points - 6 Lists
(2nd; 6th; 8th; 15th; 23rd; 24th)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'll continue hoping and praying for mom, SV and truly do hope she does better and very happy to hear she's getting some rest.

And, as before, PLEASE, she is FAR MORE IMPORTANT, we can, and will wait for you and for her.
So, however you wish to proceed, please know this.

~59~

Director: Sam Wood
Producer: Samuel Goldwyn
Distributor: RKO Pictures

81 Points - 6 Lists
(4th; 5th; 9th; 12th; 21st; 24th)

~58~

Director: John Ford
Producer: Samuel G. Engel
Distributor: 20th Century Fox

82 Points - 9 Lists
(8th-2x; 9th; 15th; 21st; 22nd-2x; 23rd; 24th)

~57~

Director: George Waggner
Producer: George Waggner
Distributor: Universal Pictures

83 Points - 5 Lists
(1st; 7th; 8th; 14th; 17th)

~56~

Director: Howard Hawks
Producer: Howard Hawks
Distributor: United Artists

83 Points - 9 Lists
(6th; 10th; 11th; 14th; 18th; 21st; 22nd; 24th; 25th)

OK. I will take a break for a couple of minutes - and give you a break from this. I've posted 5 films and I will post the other 5 in a couple of minutes.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I really like Dead of Night and I've seen The Pride of the Yankees numerous times since I first watched it as a kid. Even so, I didn't vote for them.
Dead of Night (Cavalcanti, Charles Crichton, Basil Dearden, Robert Hamer, 1945)
Classic Rating

The original horror anthology film still delivers the goods, with sparkling acting, a taut script and a large house in the country providing a perfect setting for chills and thrills, which are masterfully held off until the striking ending. The framing story of the architect dreaming about coming to the house and knowing almost everything which will happen is a great way to pin all the subsequent stories which range from the humorous (the golfing ghost) to the incredibly eerie (the ventriloquist and his dummy). If you haven't seen this, you owe it to yourself to remedy that and see where many classic horror scenarios come from. Michael Redgrave gives an awesome performance as the ventriloquist.

~55~

Director: Carol Reed
Producer: Carol Reed
Distributor: Rank Organisation

84 Points - 5 Lists
(3rd-2x; 12th; 14th-2x)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My Darling Clementine is a gorgeously-shot version of the gunfight of the OK Corral and the events leading up to it. The Wolf Man is a fun and iconic monster movie, albeit overly silly at times. Howard Hawks' first ever western, Red River, was #11 on my list.
Red River (Howard Hawks, 1948)

Spectacular western epic about the first cattle drive along the Chisholm Trail is actually a thinly-veiled retelling of Mutiny on the Bounty. But years earlier, Thomas Dunson (John Wayne) breaks free from a wagon train with his longtime friend Groot (Walter Brennan), a wagon, a bull and some horses. Dunson tells his fiancee (Colleen Gray) to continue on with the train and that he'll send for her when he's ready. By the time the two men make it to the Red River in Texas, they realize that the wagons have been attacked by Indians. After the Indians attack them at night, young Matt arrives at their camp with a cow but he's half-crazy having witnessed the Indian attack on the wagon train before escaping. Years later, after the Civil War, Matt (played by Montgomery Clift as an adult) returns to help Dunson and Groot drive the herd of almost 10,000 cattle west to Missouri, although there are rumors that there's a railroad in Abilene, Kansas, which would eliminate the danger of Missouri raiders stealing the herd and killing the men. Dunson wants to take them to Missouri though and becomes despotic on the drive, causing many of the men to grumble and question his authority. Eventually, there is a mutiny and Dunson is left behind injured and embarrassed while Matt leads the herd to Abilene. Dunson vows to kill Matt once he recuperates and comes after him.

Red River is full of action, male bonding, Indian attacks, gunfights, fistfights and the recreation of a full-fledged cattle drive where all the principal actors actually are involved in transporting a huge herd. It's also a character study of a bitter man who hasn't reconciled himself to a new postwar world where he needs more help than he ever has before but is too proud to ask for it since it will make him seem weak. I'm not going to go into the details about the films ending which has been discussed here recently, except to say that it makes total sense to me and is the only ending I can think of which does in the light of the way the two main characters have been presented for over two hours of screen time. If you want to see a father kill his son in a western, go watch The Big Country where it makes sense, but don't ask an epic western about the founding of a great cattle empire to end with one of the founders dead over a stubborn old man's misplaced sense of pride.

~54~

Drunken Angel

Director: Akira Kurosawa
Producer: Sojiro Motoki
Distributor: Toho

85 Points - 6 Lists
(3rd; 9th; 13th; 14th; 15th 17th)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
THANK YOU, SV!!

Have not seen Dead of Night though it looks like quite a great movie and I see that the lead is the same gentleman who played Bob Cratchet in my favorite version of A Christmas Carol (1951)

Again, thank you SV for getting me to watch The Pride of the Yankees. Quite a delightful story with Gary Cooper and Teresa Wright and a surprisingly young Walter Brennan whom I barely recognized in this. It was also great to see most of the players WERE players from the Yankees while Lou Gehrig played.

Wolf Man is my favorite old time horror and one of my old time favorites that got knocked out by new watches. Relieved to see it make it. With Lon Chaney Jr as the tortured Larry Talbot and Claude Rains as his father. Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

My Darling Clementine is arguably one of THE best renditions of the Shootout at the OK Corral with Henry Ford as Wyatt Earp and Victore Mature as Doc Holliday, and, of course, Walter Brennan as Clanton. The final shoot out is one of the best. Could not fit it into my list, as worthy as it is.

Did not vote for it, but Red River is a solid western where John Wayne plays quite the prick and does a helluva job doing it.

Seen: 28/45

My List:
#16 Now, Voyager (78)
#17 The Suspect (70)
#18 Waterloo Bridge (93)
#21 The Pride of the Yankees (59)
#24 Gilda (72)
#25 Arch of Time (1 Pointer)

~53~

Director: George Seaton
Producer: William Perlberg
Distributor: 20th Century Fox

85 Points - 9 Lists
(2nd; 7th; 13th; 15th; 19th; 21st; 23rd; 24th; 25th)