Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~71~

Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Producer: Alfred Hitchcock & Harry E. Edington
Distributor: RKO Pictures

63 Points - 4 Lists
(1st; 4th; 18th-2x)

Gilda is a fun love/suicide triangle noir , though I think it gets kind of messy in the final act.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Gilda was my #20. A luminous performance from Rita Hayworth. But I prefer the start of the movie, the various tensions and suspicions between the three central characters gives it a power that gets lost towards the end.

Surprised Suspicion is that high, 3rd tier Hitch for me. Gilda on the other hand I expected not to be seeing for a while longer. Sadly neither made my list

Faildictions:
70. The Lady From Shanghai
69. The Most Beautiful

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Well, what do you know? A movie I've both seen and voted for. Gilda was my #11 and the first one from my list to appear. Rita Hayworth was both stunning and very capable as the female lead, but I think I liked the interaction between the two male leads more. The back and forth, the one never quite knowing if the other really has his back, or is secretly planning to stab him in it.

Over all a very entertaining watch.

Gilda, another I considered but didn't have room for. It's one of Glenn Ford's best performances. He's an actor who often seems to be better suited to supporting roles, but here he gets a chance to really shine.

And of course I'm always happy to see the lovely Mrs Welles

Suspicion, I've seen it but hardly remember it. Looking at the cast: Cary Grant, Joan Fontaine, Cedric Hardwicke, I can see why this film would be so well liked, as them be some fine actors

Suspicion & Lifeboat
makes two Hitch films already, I'm sure we'll see 3, maybe 4 more of his films make it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Surprised Suspicion is that high, 3rd tier Hitch for me. Gilda on the other hand I expected not to be seeing for a while longer.
I'm surprised Gilda is this low too.

Suspicion wasn't really a hit for me.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Gilda has plenty of sex, gay sexual innuendo and real violence in its examination of what, if anything, is the difference between love and hate. Hitch wasn't happy that he had to change the ending of Suspicion but many people don't seem as concerned - don't worry, I won't spoil it.

Seen - 30/30
My List
16. A Letter to Three Wives (76)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I considered both Gilda and Suspicion for my list, but unfortunately I couldn't find room for either movie. I'm glad to see both movies made the countdown anyway.

It took me a while to warm up to Glenn Ford, but as I see more of his movies, I like him more every time.

Suspicion is the same as Lifeboat for me, a Hitch I haven't seen in 20 years and one I felt no need to revisit.

Gilda was on my list of contenders and it turned out that it would be in my top 35. I forget the girl's name but damn that's a lot of woman.

Gilda was on my list of contenders and it turned out that it would be in my top 35. I forget the girl's name but damn that's a lot of woman.
Oh hey it's in Jeff's post on this page. It's good that I'm so observant

Finally, we have the first film from my list! Interestingly enough, the first film to appear from my list was near the bottom of my list as well: Gilda was my #24.

Suspicion & Lifeboat makes two Hitch films already, I'm sure we'll see 3, maybe 4 more of his films make it.
Probably four: Notorious, Rebecca, Rope and Shadow of a Doubt.

Nice clip, Jeff. 'Preciate it. Gilda is a wonderful movie, and I'm a complete Rita Hayworth kind of guy (she's just ahead of Ava Gardner). But IMO it wasn't strong enough of a film to be in my top 25.

I've always liked Glenn Ford in just about all of his films. However some of his earlier roles, like this one, suffer from his collegiate looks. Another one would be The Loves of Carmen, done just 2 years later. Best at more "common man" roles, he often doesn't seem convincing as a heavy, at least early in his career.

I liked Suspicion, but not enough to rank it high. It is a film notable for some of Hitch's inventive techniques. He had a light placed in the glass of milk Grant was carrying to Fontaine, in order to brighten the focus on the object which people suspected might be poison.

It was also nice to see Nigel Bruce in a non-Dr. Watson role. I believe Hitchcock revealed that he wanted to make the Grant character a true villian, but that the public would not accept Cary Grant as that kind of individual, so there had to be a reconciliation type ending showing Grant to be innocent.

~Doc

I love both of these movies, Gilda a bit more than Suspicion, but neither made my cut. Yet Gilda (to quote Get Smart for those that remember) "missed it by that much!"

Suspicion would be among Hitchcock's best were it not for the happy ending Hitch went with. But up until then there is some great stuff including one of Cary Grant's best performances, using his charm for (apparently) masking evil. I did not vote for it. Gilda and Postman were on my shortlist, but neither made the cut.

However two of my choices from the bottom of my list have finally shown!

Rossellini's Rome, Open City is for me his greatest film, and still a powerful portrait of the Second World War from the perspective of Italians caught up in the horrors. I had it at number twenty on my list, six points. And my one-pointer in the twenty-fifth slot showed, too: Powell and Pressburger's beautifully stylized Black Narcissus with those isolated nuns.

MY LIST
20. Rome, Open City (#74)
25. Black Narcissus (#79)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra