The 13TH Hall of Fame

Tools    

I think everybody was in a nasty and delicate situation that was difficult to handle properly. My biggest issue with her was letting him on school grounds again before the investigation was complete.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Earlier on I read through some of The Hunt conversation and I really don't understand anyones problem with Grethe, outside of us knowing it's not true I don't really get why anyone would have any problem with what she did.

WARNING: "the hunt" spoilers below
I think I explained my problem with informing the parents before any explanation but the idea of blaming her in a malicious sense rather than a concerned, short-sighted, paranoid yet well-,meaning sense is absurd. I'd want someone like Grethe as the teacher of my kids in the sense that she will take it completely seriously: you also have to consider her first conversation with Lucas and his reaction. His reaction was questionable to say the least, it was calm and it was mostly concerned with who made the accusation, when more and more kids start accusing him and you know the first thing he asked was who was it it's difficult to not think he was pissed at the idea of one of his victims giving him up. That scene is completely set up that way actually, it ends with Grethe looking at him in an 'i'm not quite sure' way now when she entered this conversation thinking it was just something silly. Remember she first shows genuine concern when Lucas appears at the office and there's two parents in there: one crying, implying that she has just been told it isn't just Klara.

Think her response is underrated: she is awesome.

I think that character's response was highly unprofessional. All kids should be listened to with this topic but she was out of line. I've worked with investigators who deal with this nasty subject and where I am there is a very strict protocol that they, and teachers, must follow. I really disliked her and the colleague she brought in. I dont blame Klara.

When did she do this?
WARNING: "the hunt" spoilers below

The first time he came on school grounds was before there was any investigation as it hadn't been reported yet and she hadn't told Klara's parents yet. She had no choice there, Ole told her to speak to him about it first. The second time she didn't let him on school grounds, he did so himself and she literally ran away from him.
What I mean is that once there's even an accusation, he needs to be away from there and she's responsible for that.

The Hunt was intelligently written as, Greta wasn't the heavy, that she could have been portrayed as. And the little girl was made somewhat of the heavy, which put the blame on everyone and more importantly on no one person. That's a smart script as it was well balanced with no clear antagonist. Even the end scene continues that ambiguity.

My biggest problem is that she went behind his back and informed his son's mother. I understand informing the parents, though I don't think that's the right thing to do at such an early stage, but nothing should have been said to his ex until they had investigated it further.

Just want to confirm that i absolutely don't think of Klara as the antagonist. That's not what i'm saying when i'm defending Grethe.
Yes, I know. I was just saying how I personally viewed the movie.

How was she out of line? What did she do wrong?
I think the whole way she went about it was wrong conduct. She started a witch hunt.

Cam, I respect the fact you want to protect kids, and me too, matey, but for me that was the whole point of the film. She didnt go by the book and wrecked an innocent man's life over it by talking out of school before an actual investigation. There is no coming back from there which is what the end scene was about.

Look one thing we can agree on, this is a devastating movie to watch.

Also it's questionable if he would have told her then as she had just allowed Marcus to come and live with him and he'd not want to jeopardize that. Grethe knew that.
She also had to know that if there would be a strong possibility of Marcus not being allowed to see his father once his mother knew about the accusations. Which to me was probably a big part of why she told the mother in the first place, in a misguided attempt to protect his son.

I think this film being slightly altered and Lucas being guilty would make us all agree that Grethe was right in her actions, so i don't agree with you there.

But it wasnt. The movie is about kangaroo court, not a rock spider. Both sides are very delicate to deal with which is why civilised societies hve strict protocol on dealing with it.

Exactly. Every action taking from Grethe was well meaning, and i dunno if Marcus was attacked verbally or pysichally in town and Grethe or Lucas hadn't informed his mum about it then i think there'd be a problem there. I get that it shouldn't have been her place but just as a human being you've got to feel serious concern there and i think most of Grethe's actions were exactly that, i never got the sense that she was doing something to keep her job or whatever.
When I said she was probably attempting to protect Marcus, I didn't mean from the backlash of the people in the town, I meant from Lucas himself.

Unless you are telling me that an identical situation with an actual paedophile would bother you because of what Greathe did?
Have I said that? It's one of the reasons I've put off watching Edar's nom because it is about a rock spider. Dont put words in my mouth. TIA.

I think this film being slightly altered and Lucas being guilty would make us all agree that Grethe was right in her actions, so i don't agree with you there.
I agree, if Lucas had turned out to be a real pedophile, then Grethe wouldn't be the heavy (in most viewers eyes).

It's only because we feel so badly for Lucas, that we then seek to find someone to blame. That's human nature. I'm sure that the director was aware of that and constructed the film accordingly.

Myself I felt like the cute little girl was a royal PITA, until the end scene, when Lucas forgives her, I then 'forgave' her too.

Not that she's culpable for her actions at such a young age, she's not, it's more of an emotional release to blame someone for Lucas' problems.

You kind of have to say that if you have a problem with Grethe's actions in general. If not you admit your problem is dictated by the result and if this wasn't a film about an innocent man you wouldn't care.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Grethe's actions were at least completely logical and well meaning.
Well meaning? Sure. Logical? No. They were completely knee-jerk reactions. She didn't put any thought into what she was doing.

In any case, I don't see her as the villain of the film. If anything, the cowardly townspeople who harassed Marcus, who physically assaulted Lucas, who destroyed his property and killed his dog are the villains.

Agreed with this except ever blaming Klara. There's got to be a villain and here there isn't really one which frustrates us, Grethe is the adult and she clearly did somethings wrong so we want to blame her but we really can't and shouldn't, she was actually kinda great and protective over 'her' kids and in the end it was just a terrible situation.
I was saying, emotionally I blamed her, not that she should be logical blamed by anyone (nor did I logically blame her).

I was describing my emotions as I watched the film. That's why I said she is of course not culpable for her actions at such a young age.

What don't you understand?

Please don't play dumb. Trying to have a conversation with you here and i don't appreciate that.
You're impossible.

Great post, MissV.

Was telling the parents not logical? Telling the other parents? Telling his wife who had a kid that may have been abused by him, which must have been her thought process?
Immediately telling them was not logical, no. Again, it's a knee-jerk reaction based on emotion, not logical thought.

I'm not saying that I don't understand why she did what she did, but I do not believe for one second that she actually put any real thought into anything before acting.

Flesh and Blood

Ugh, this was silly....Sorry to say that, but I have to call it, like I see it...and there wasn't much to see here. I kept waiting for the movie to get interesting, I thought at some point the movie would have a point, but it never did. It had only the vaguest idea for a theme...and the acting was pretty bad too. Jennifer Jason Leigh who I use to like, was just out right bad in this, and so was her prince boyfriend. What a dunce character he was. But nobody was as annoying as the pregnant red hair lady, ugh, I hated her.

This kind of movie could have used some dry humor or clever wit, it had neither and it needed something. The only good thing I can say is, I wasn't bored, but I wasn't entertained and I certainly wasn't engaged.

I just don't see anything interesting in it.

Dead Poets Society (Peter Weir, 1989)
Imdb

Date Watched: 04/30/17
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 13th HOF, Sarge's Nomination
Rewatch: Yes, but it had been a very long time and I remembered almost nothing about it.

This is a movie that I probably should have liked. The story was both uplifting and incredibly sad and the performances were mostly strong, particularly from Robin Williams and Robert Sean Leonard. However, something about it just didn't work for me.

Perhaps I just wasn't in the right mood for it - I know this is a generally well loved film - but it struck me as being rather corny and contrived. Where the filmmakers expected me to be inspired or else heartbroken, I found myself feeling nothing. In fact, I was so detached from the film that I actually burst out laughing at what was actually a tragic scene (though in my defense, the slow motion screaming of "No!" was pretty damn ridiculous). It is an odd thing though, considering that there are a few films I really love that are even more corny and contrived than this (I'm looking at you, With Honors!). Perhaps this film's lack of nostalgia for me was also a factor? I'm not sure of the reason, but I just couldn't get into this one.

-