The 12th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Tyler isn't here! Tyler went away! Tyler's gone!
@camo Detective Kim kind of reminded me of Han from fast and furious. Quiet temperament, never said anything out of line, had a kind of fluency to him and a calmness of his movement and the way he presented himself in the film. But when you put a "cool" guy like that, and surround him with idiots, he's gonna stand out.

Now, I haven't seen the movie in a while,so my memory might be scewed

thanks all! And I know, Camo, I've actually got it done to an art reading your reviews if I haven't seen the movie yet by reading the opening and then skimming most and it's always a 50/50 chance that the last paragraph is a closer or talking about the end of the movie.
haha you're the man Ed seriously . Yeah, i've noticed myself i always start with a weird opening before i talk about the film; it varies from what i know about the film/director or a story about my experience watching the film like my The Man From Nowhere one. Seriously everyone read my first paragraph (first only though) of my Man From Nowhere review and do what i accidentally did it made it so much more awesome; have to watch the full thing like that sometime .

I'd honesty just not read it til you've seen the film, i think it's kind of an unwritten rule (especially since Citizen started the keep a post with links to reviews thing) well not rule but i think it's understood here that people don't have to use spoilers. i think i'm going to start including a disclaimer at the start of each one because i'm very erratic and could ruin the whole film in the first paragraph haha. Seriously though, Cricket is keeping the reviews in that post for a reason just return to them after you've watched the movie. Up to you of course but i personally do because even though Citizen for example doesn't spoil anything he does give his general thoughts and i don't like allowing the possibility of them to influence me.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I gotcha. For me I do like to comment on the review itself when I can. Mostly out of courtesy for someone taking the time to write it all out.
Pretty impossible with the initial torrent of reviews we started with, but like with 40's I did go back to read in full when I do my own and its a great setup having the links like that.

@camo Detective Kim kind of reminded me of Han from fast and furious. Quiet temperament, never said anything out of line, had a kind of fluency to him and a calmness of his movement and the way he presented himself in the film. But when you put a "cool" guy like that, and surround him with idiots, he's gonna stand out.

Now, I haven't seen the movie in a while,so my memory might be scewed
Honestly that makes perfect sense. I think that's exactly what it was particularly your last sentence.

WARNING: "The Man From Nowhere" spoilers below
The scene when his more energetic partner flykicks the guy on the wheelchair then Kim calmy walks over completely demonstrates this.

Tyler isn't here! Tyler went away! Tyler's gone!
Haha, exactly my thoughts... He also does it at the beginning, when his subordinates are having trouble with the big guy, he grabs a bottle

I gotcha. For me I do like to comment on the review itself when I can. Mostly out of courtesy for someone taking the time to write it all out.
Pretty impossible with the initial torrent of reviews we started with, but like with 40's I did go back to read in full when I do my own and its a great setup having the links like that.
I get what you're saying and you are right but you can bring the review back up weeks after it was made to comment on it and possibly spark discussion after you've seen the film, i and i think everybody since we've started doing that has done so, Cosmic in particular likes to quote the parts of past reviews she found interesting or whatever after seeing a film i've noticed.

The keeping the reviews in one post thing started because people were picking different films to watch at different times, on different schedules, etc, and it was a pain to go through the vast amount of pages that these quickly build up to find out what everyone else thought about the film. I think it works really well, i rep every review then get back to them when i've watched the film. This is the only time i've been way ahead of most which has made it mostly not neccessary for me but it helped alot in the others.

What awards are offered at the end of this tournament?
I awarded Miss Vicky a moustache for winning the separate Character Award in the 11th HOF that i hosted. Other than that there's not really awards haha.

Romper Stomper (1992)
Dir. Geoffrey Wright
Starring: Russell Crowe, Daniel Pollock, Jacqueline McKenzie

Honestly, early in the film I had to stop and check if this was supposed to be taken seriously, or if it was some form of satire because I wasn't sure how the audience was expected to react to the completely insane brutality on screen. The characters behaved ridiculously, but not in an amusing way, and thankfully it wasn't meant to be seen as a joke.

Russell Crowe gives a remarkable performance throughout the film. Many youths looking to find their place are willing to follow a charismatic leader and adopt more fanatical ideology in order to belong, and Russell Crowe is completely believable as the charismatic leader. Daniel Pollock was also great with his more subtle and quiet performance, and it really is a tragedy that the actor is no longer with us. I did enjoy the second half of this film a lot more than the first, where the pride and arrogance of Hando was on full display, and he slowly starts to unravel as his authority begins to be undermined.

Romper Stomper is difficult to watch at the start, but that's entirely the point. It deals with uncomfortable subject matter in a realistic manner that isn't interested in picking sides like in American History X. This isn't an exploitation film, and it isn't preachy, and for that it earns a lot of respect.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Romper.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	28476  

I get what you're saying and you are right but you can bring the review back up weeks after it was made to comment on it and possibly spark discussion after you've seen the film
Agreed. It might seem awkward at first to comment on something that was written weeks ago, but it's never too late to start a conversation, or to ask questions about why someone saw an aspect of a film differently than you.

Cosmic in particular likes to quote the parts of past reviews she found interesting or whatever after seeing a film i've noticed.

I just finished reading all the Romper Stomper reviews in more depth than before, and I'm sensing a theme here:
This movie brings the point home that Violence Begets Violence but without preaching or grandstanding
[...] the film looks at them with an eye that is far more observant than it is critical or preachy.
This isn't an exploitation film, and it isn't preachy [...]
Maybe I should've read the other reviews before writing my own, but whatever. I'm glad we can all agree on that point.

On a side note showing I'm getting old. . . I kept finding myself shaking my head, asking "What is wrong with you kids?!" lol
Me too!

(Except I've always felt that way so it's not a new development for me haha)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
great review, cosmic.
I agree on how "This isn't an exploitation film, and it isn't preachy, and for that it earns a lot of respect." I feel the exact same way.
Davey and Hando were almost a two halves of one coin and through the film you see how they begin to conflict when previously they connected.

Maybe I should've read the other reviews before writing my own, but whatever. I'm glad we can all agree on that point.
Nothing wrong with echoing the thoughts of others. The lack of bias is definitely one of the film's strengths and is worth pointing out.

Royale, who was your favourite villain? I think mine was Jong-seok for the reasons i mentioned in my review with special mention to Big Bear or whatever his name was because he had the funniest moment in the film.

WARNING: "The Man From Nowhere" spoilers below
I liked Ramrowan alot too but i was a bit disappointed with his final fight with Cha Tae-sik and as soon as i saw him around So-mi i didn't think of him as a villain and expected the ending that redeemed him.

Edit: Love that i posted this in the middle of a Romper Stomper discussion/convention . I started writing it then went away from my computer before finishing and posting it. Kinda want to discuss The Man From Nowhere because it was great and i don't even know what i want to discuss about it haha.

I love the review links.... In past Hofs, I (and others) would write reviews of the noms but many (I'm guessing) didn't read them until after they had seen the movie (which is understandable) but then so many post had been made that I get the feeling many if not most didn't bother to go back through the entire thread just to read someone elses reviews. Which made it feel like a waste of time to even write a long review of a nom.

So yea! for the links....I've even went to past Hofs with links and reread certain movies reviews. And after the Hof is done and over the links make's for a useful reference tool.