The 12th Hall of Fame

Tools    

I haven't seen Grand Budapest Hotel in its entirely, only up to that scene which I think was still pretty early in the film. It definitely wouldn't be fair to skip watching anything for a HoF just because you don't like the start of it. I had no real reason to continue watching it before, which made it pretty easy to just turn it off.

I might not dislike the film quite so much this time, and who knows, maybe something will happen later in the runtime that will actually make me like it (or at least not despise it). I have a better idea what to expect going in this time, and I want to try and keep an open mind about it.

maybe something will happen later in the runtime that will actually make me like it (or at least not despise it).
Doctor Strange and Magneto appear and do the "Puttin' on the Ritz" routine from Young Frankenstein.

Y Tu Mamá También
(2001)
Dir. Alfonso Cuarón
Starring: Gael García Bernal, Diego Luna, Maribel Verdú

Y Tu Mamá También is an occasionally funny story about self-discovery and sexuality that not only feels like an actual road trip through the Mexican countryside, but one that also infuses its story with elements of the political, social, and economic situations prevalent in Mexico. While at first I did find the leading male characters, Tenoch and Julio, to be rather irritating and incessantly horny, their quirks started to grow on me as their characters developed throughout the film. Similarly, while the narration seemed abrupt and very intrusive the first few times I heard it, I eventually began to appreciate it and the history it provided.

I'm not even going to pretend to know anything about Mexico and its history, but from what I've seen,
Y Tu Mamá También does a great job infusing its story with important social elements. For example, the lives of Tenoch and Julio couldn't be any different. Besides what we're told about their families throughout the film, just seeing their houses would paint a vibrant enough picture of the class division between them. The distinction between the very political wedding the boys attend early in the film (where they meet Luisa), and the cultural wedding they pass on the road (where they are asked to donate money to the bride), also reflect the differences between the classes in a more subtle manner.

Luisa's story has a much more tragic start than that of the boys, and while her personal journey is not really the main focus of the story, it does frequently steal the show. Moments like the scene where she's on the phone having a very emotional conversation, and the boys can still be seen and heard joyously playing a game nearby contrasts the disparity in their journeys perfectly, yet also highlights their similarities, if that makes any sense.

The more I think about it, the more I actually have to say about the film, so I'm just going to stop here. I'm glad this was nominated, because I had remembered even less about this film that I thought and I probably wouldn't have rewatched it otherwise.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Y Tu.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	28464  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
thanks camo, I truly appreciate that but I am also cool with it too. I'm here for the movies and conversation any ole way.
I've given huge props and respect to Vicky for movies in the past for sitting through movies she'd normally wouldn't and with Grand Budapest, like her, I really don't care for Anderson, at all. My nom is just a HUGE, HUGE exemption to the rule and to be honest, if I'd seen Vicky joining BEFORE i sent it in, I'd have happily found another out of courtesy.
For myself, I've reached a point in my life that if I can't enjoy a movie, I'll stop.
So, if Cosmic, or anyone else has a problem trying to watch Budapest and are unable to, that is more than cool with me.

And yes, Vicky, I AM SO SORRY I didn't post this BEFORE you did your review

That's very big of you, Ed.

But I want to watch the movie again anyway, and see it through to the end. I want to give it a fair chance. I can't promise I'll actually like it, but I will at least keep an open mind.

I've given huge props and respect to Vicky for movies in the past for sitting through movies she'd normally wouldn't and with Grand Budapest, like her, I really don't care for Anderson, at all. My nom is just a HUGE, HUGE exemption to the rule and to be honest, if I'd seen Vicky joining BEFORE i sent it in, I'd have happily found another out of courtesy.
For myself, I've reached a point in my life that if I can't enjoy a movie, I'll stop.
So, if Cosmic, or anyone else has a problem trying to watch Budapest and are unable to, that is more than cool with me.

And yes, Vicky, I AM SO SORRY I didn't post this BEFORE you did your review
While I would have preferred that you had nominated something else, I would have watched your nomination regardless. When I join HOFs I do so fully expecting everyone else to watch what I nominate and I hold myself to the same standard, even if it's something I'm sure I'll hate. Besides, even with directors that I dislike, there's always a chance that I'll find that one movie that is the exception. I kind of doubt that'll happen with Wes Anderson, but I also doubted that it would happen with Paul Thomas Anderson and then Inherent Vice came along.

Glad you enjoyed it Cosmic, really good review

Ed mate you are a saint!. Nah though nobody should be allowed to skip or only watch part of anyones nomination. I don't want to join a hall of fame if people are allowed to stop watching my nomination because they aren't enjoying it and still vote on it despite not having seen it all, i've watched all of every film nominated in a hall of fame i've joined. Nobody forced anyone to join, they decided to and they should know that they have to watch all of each nomination.

Does anyone do that because if they do i think this is going to be my last hall of fame? Not trying to be dramatic , just saying though if people are fine with that happening then these are clearly not for me.

Tyler isn't here! Tyler went away! Tyler's gone!
The Man From Nowhere

Firstly, i had a copy of this which was horribly dubbed i didn't realize it was until i tried to watch it. I actually watched the first ten minutes of it because it was hilarious hearing thesse American-dude voices badly dubbed over the actors was kind of brilliant . It was fine though i already knew where else to watch it.

Man this was great. Action movies are more miss than hit for me these days but i thought the story and performances were really well done. The interactions between Cha and So-Mi in particular, he was a bit of a moody emo type at first but i did buy into him genuinely caring for her despite them only having a few scenes together. The kid was adorable and really funny i loved her "Pawnshop Ghost and Garbage sounds like a good rock band" line. Their relationship wasn't exactly original i mean troubled kid grows attached to loner who turns out to be superhuman sounds like Leon: The Professional (just want to point out that he even had a cactus that meant alot to him like Leon and his flower) with obvious differences, but i honestly felt like their relationship was more believable than Leon and whatever Portmans characters name was even though they were together for a fraction of the time they were; the last scene before she is kidnapped with her "you are more mean but i don't hate you for it because then there would be no one that i like" line broke my heart. I think this is what sets this apart from alot of other Action Movies i don't care for when i watch them now i genuinely cared about the characters. That first half an hour did a much better job of getting me interested in the upcoming action than similar films like say Taken where the acting and dialogue is terrible so i don't really care what is going on. One thing i didn't think was necessery though was his wife being pregnant when she died, it wasn't bad but it was so obvious when you saw the first brief glimpse of her in what was clearly a hospital and also i really don't think they needed this to make Cha and So-Mi's relationship more meaningful. I'd have liked it more if it was from his simple interactions with her. Again though it wasn't a bad thing because it did explain why he was so distant and seemingly empty, would have preferred some other explanation though personally. The scene where they reunited was so beautiful and i actually really liked the twist even though i saw it coming. Ramworan had gave off a sympathetic vibe from his scenes with So-Mi which i thought was well done.

The villains were well developed as well (as a side note i'm terrible at remembering Korean names so i'm using wiki and i might get some of them mixed up); they really did feel like a sinister organization little things like the Oh Myung-gyu brutally slapping basically demeaning Man-Seok who'll later take over the organization himself and will be shown as callously brutal with the axe scene or even showing the lower down guys like Jong-Seoks wealth with the hottub scene gave off the impression of great power and that coupled with their brutality made this helpless young girl in their possession a drastic situation. The organ harvesting angle was also an interesting angle i wasn't expecting; makes it all the more horrifying. Jong Seok was a great villain. He was so campy and crazy loved his voice and facial expressions, he really came across menacing. Him and his brothers relationship was great i think it is a common one seen in movie or tv show villains; the psychotic one and his laidback but equally brutal partner but it was fun to watch anyway. Big Bear or whatever he was called was the man i wish he wasn't killed so soon i mean i understand that he served his purpose and more of him would've became repetitive but god that first fight where the guy runs out of nowhere at him and he picks him up and throws him through the window got one of the biggest laughs of the film from me. The police were great too, they were pretty clueless and funny. Detective Kim was probably my second favourite character after Cha actually. He didn't really even do anything he just somehow managed to be the coolest character in a film full of cool characters.

Anyway sorry for rambling i've barely even mentioned the action mostly because i'm not good at explaining what i liked about it.I thought it was a great idea not to show Cha Tae-sik fight until an hour in, even though when they finally did it was short and against nobodies it was still very effective with it being intercut with the cops reading his background for the first time. His brutality towards Jong-Saek when he found out what was happening to the children was amazing and so was the final wrist-slitting fight, the fight with Ramworan who was the only one that could actually fight him was a bit of a letdown though. The music was another thing that was excellent did a great job of building the tension and excitement.

Anyway great nom Royale . Not sure if it will hold up because action films rarely do with me but i liked this alot. Barbara next for me.
Glad you liked it!! And your review was spot on.

I've been slacking on the movies the past few days, I work two jobs but I'm off the next three days, so my list is about to be obliterated

Withnail & I

I just finished watching this and it took all of my effort just to get through it. I found it tedious, like a stage play full of inane dialogue but with no emotion, no development, no story, no theme and not funny either.

I didn't care about the characters, I didn't care about their story, I found the talky-long scenes draining. The tall guy, Withnail was annoying and so over the top that I cringed when he talked, his friend was just plain boring. I really didn't like this, sorry but I have to be honest in my review.

I really struggled with it. There was a few scenes I liked, the best was the tea and cake shop when they were drunk and told to leave...but said they were millionaires who would buy the shop just to fire the proprietor.

Romper Stomper (Geoffrey Wright, 1992)
Imdb

Date Watched: 1/13/17
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 12th HOF, my nomination
Rewatch: Yes

Although I've seen Romper Stomper many times and the most recent watch was only about 18 months ago, I'd somehow forgotten just how unrelentingly brutal this film is. From the opening scene to the last, it is packed with a level of realistic violence that is seldom seen in other films. And this isn't just a bunch of gunfights but rather street fighting with fists, boots, knives, boards - anything they can get their hands on - and people are left bloodied and limp on the street.

But the film has more to offer than simple barbarity. Russell Crowe turns in a stunning (and terrifying) performance as the charismatic leader of the gang of neo-Nazi skinheads who inflict terror on the Vietnamese inhabitants of Melbourne (that is, until their victims decide to band together and fight back). He absolutely disappears into the role. But his is not the only impressive performance. Daniel Pollock is a wonder as well as the quiet and more sensitive Davey - the only one of with any shred of humanity in a mob of monsters. Sadly though, this was Pollock's final performance - he commited suicide by throwing himself under a train at the age of 23.

What's interesting too is that - though the story doesn't end well for its characters - the film looks at them with an eye that is far more observant than it is critical or preachy. And this makes Romper Stomper that much more powerful and unsettling.

+

Barbara

Think this was the film i was the most clueless about going into it, never heard of it or anyone involved with it like the others so i truly didn't have the slightest clue what to expect. This got me intrigued early on, i think an easy way to sucker me in is having a standoffish character like Barbara was during the cafeteria scene, the very slightly odd behaviour always peaks my curiosity probably more than full-on weird behaviour. I noticed this a few weeks ago while watching another film so it is funny that it happened again here. Barbara completely oozed seemingly unprovoked hostility during the car scene, because i really didn't know what was causing her to act this way it felt very awkward; you could've cut the tension with a knife in that scene. This all did well to create tension and make me curious, early on i could really see why on the poster i posted the other day it said something like "if you liked The Lives of Others you'll love this" i thought it was probably just because it was set in East Germany but it definitely felt similar with the paranoia and secrecy, guess it makes sense since life in East Germany must have been like this for people. At first i found it very odd that Barbara seemed much less paranoid than the guy who actually worked for the Stasi in The Lives of Others despite being only a doctor, but she did start to slowly unravel after constantly being watched. Both Barbara and Andre were really good characters, i was into their relationship. I like how through persistance he started to crack her frosty demeanor, their bike ride together although brief was very sweet with her cracking smiles at what he was saying. I think they had good chemistry; have to mainly praise Nina Hoss for that Ronald Zehrfield was good too but she had the more difficult job since she had to play a naturally untrusting character who was beginning to warm to him. Another thing i liked about her was her genuine care for her patients, someone who has been through what she has could probably be forgiving for not being the most compassionate person but through her scenes with and related to Stella and Mario it really came through, and in a subtle way. The ending was very good and unexpected for me; i expected her to try to escape and get caught didn't even consider Stella or her staying with Andre.

One thing i'd call this film is calm, very calm. All of the characters felt like they were constantly talking in soft and/or hushed voices, that makes sense since alot of it was set in a hospital but even outside it felt like that, the countryside, the woods, etc. It's weird because this made it very relaxing to me while it has a tough subject matter. I think this calm tone went exceptionally well with the very pleasant look of the film to the point that i think i'd somewhat enjoy this even if i didn't like the story/characters. The scenes with Barbara on her bike all had beautiful scenery and were very well shot but i also really liked the look of some of the scenes inside the hospital, one in particular comes to mind it was one of the early ones where Barbara and Andre were in Stella's room; think it may have been the one she said Andre had to leave but i could be mixing it up, anyway i don't know it had this red tint that was very appealing; the nighttime scenes too they might have been my favourite. As i've said before i'm really not good at all at describing what i liked about the visuals so i'll just say i liked the look of this film.

Good nom Cosmic i liked this quite a bit. Really like having you in these hall of fames because you seem to always nominate German films and i've barely seen any. Just City of Lost Children and a rewatch of Romper Stomper left for me, rewatching Romper tomorrow so i can finish with a first time watch.

I don't want to join a hall of fame if people are allowed to stop watching my nomination because they aren't enjoying it and still vote on it despite not having seen it all, i've watched all of every film nominated in a hall of fame i've joined. Nobody forced anyone to join, they decided to and they should know that they have to watch all of each nomination.

[...] if people are fine with that happening then these are clearly not for me.
So much this ^.

These HoFs would lose all integrity if people were allowed to just stop watching something (or not watch it at all) due to differences in taste. We all know going into these that there's a chance there'll be a few nominations we're just not going to take to. You take that risk going in.

On the plus side, there's also a chance that you'll watch something that you don't think you'd like, or that you wouldn't otherwise have watched, and you'll actually really enjoy it.

Nice write-up Camo! Glad you enjoyed it!
This all did well to create tension and make me curious, early on i could really see why on the poster i posted the other day it said something like "if you liked The Lives of Others you'll love this" i thought it was probably just because it was set in East Germany but it definitely felt similar with the paranoia and secrecy, guess it makes sense since life in East Germany must have been like this for people.
I mentioned The Lives of Others in regards to this film earlier in the thread as well. I knew a few people here had seen The Lives of Others, and having won an Oscar, that film is fairly well known but I think that Barbara tackles similar subject matter, and does it better. Yet Barbara is not that well known, which is a shame because in my opinion it's a really good film and one of my favourite new watches last year (the other being Tokyo Godfathers from the Animation HoF).

One thing i'd call this film is calm, very calm. All of the characters felt like they were constantly talking in soft and/or hushed voices, that makes sense since alot of it was set in a hospital but even outside it felt like that, the countryside, the woods, etc. It's weird because this made it very relaxing to me while it has a tough subject matter.
I agree. The quiet atmosphere and camera restraint (it practically never moves), makes this a very easy to watch film, despite the tension and subject matter. There are no sudden changes in volume that make you reach for the remote/dial, which is much appreciated. I can't remember what I was watching the other day, but I had my finger on the volume button the entire time.

Good nom Cosmic i liked this quite a bit. Really like having you in these hall of fames because you seem to always nominate German films and i've barely seen any..
Thanks! It's nice to know that I'm a welcome addition to these, because I recall being really uncertain and nervous about joining the 11th HoF haha.

I was actually thinking of making a Top German Films/German Recommendations thread/list to spread the German love. Partly because I'd never be able to settle on a General List, but also because I have an affinity for German films because they are what got me interested in film making and studying film in a serious manner in the first place.

Think The Lives of Others had the benefit of winning an Oscar as well as being alot more direct and less subtle (still subtle though) than Barbara, i think it is probably an easier film to get into which is why it was bigger than Barbara, and also it was first that probably played into it. Think i liked them both about the same, they have different approaches and i think there is value in both of them.

I'd definitely be interested in that German thread as outside a few directors i don't know much about German cinema.