Gideon58's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

and David Arquette being sexy is a given...I've always thought he was sexy.
So do I, but apparently we're strange for feeling that way.

A DATE WITH JUDY

A Date with Judy is an affectionate slice of Americana from 1948 that takes a simple story with some surprisingly adult touches and wraps it in the accustomed MGM gloss.

Based on a famous radio program, this is the story of a hyperactive small town teen named Judy Foster, played by Jane Powell, who wants to run her life and everyone else's, especially her family. This film actually has two basic story lines: There is a romantic quadrangle between Judy, her taken for granted boyfriend Oogie (Scotty Beckett), whose sister Carol (Elizabeth Taylor), a spoiled and manipulative daddy's girl, is smitten with an older soda jerk named Stephen (Robert Stack) who only has eyes for Judy. The other story involves Judy's father (Oscar winner Wallace Beery) hiring a dance teacher (Carmen Miranda) to teach him how to rhumba in time for his upcoming 20th anniversary. These two simple stories are seamlessly woven together into a very entertaining musical comedy that entertains from start to finish.

The screenplay by Dorothy Cooper and Dorothy Kingsley has some adult touches that I didn't see coming...when Judy tells her dad that she is in love with Stephen and he asks her if the guy has proposed, she says that she may just ask him, something that I'm sure was pretty unheard of in 1948. The dynamic between Judy and Carol had a contemporary feel, like something out of a daytime soap opera...Carol is constantly pulling the wool over Judy's eyes in an attempt to steal Stephen from her and Judy can't see it.

Richard Thorpe's energetic direction serves the story and he gets what is required from his cast to make this work...Jane Powell is a little sugary but perfect in the title role and Elizabeth Taylor is a revelation in the role of Carol, looking breathtaking and well beyond her teenage years, in a role that would foreshadow a lot of her work as an adult actress. Scotty Beckett was an absolute charmer as Oogie and Stack made an impressive leading man, but if the truth be told, Wallace Beery very quietly walks off with this movie as Judy's blustery father...a man often clueless about what's going on with his family but not loving them any less for it. If you're a fan of MGM musicals, this one's a must.

Loved your review, I can feel your enthusiasm for the movie! It's been years since I've seen A Date With Judy, but I remember really liking it and being impressed with the acting skills of a teenage Elizabeth Taylor.

Loved your review, I can feel your enthusiasm for the movie! It's been years since I've seen A Date With Judy, but I remember really liking it and being impressed with the acting skills of a teenage Elizabeth Taylor.
Taylor was fabulous in this! I've been wanting to see this film for years knowing I would love it and it absolutely did not let me down, loved it!

SEX TAPE

From the people who brought us the dreadful Bad Teacher comes Sex Tape, a 2014 comedy that is actually not as sleazy as its title implies, but it's no classic either.

The film stars Cameron Diaz and Jason Segel as Annie and Jay, a couple who when they first met were all about sex...anywhere, anytime, taking time out for sleep and meals only. But after ten years of marriage and two kids, they are too tired and don't have time for sex anymore and when the opportunity finally presents itself, they decide to make a sex tape where they plan to demonstrate every position illustrated in the book, "The Joy of Sex". Upon completion Annie tells jay to erase the tape and, of course, he doesn't and the tape ends up in "the cloud" of several I Pads that the couple distributed to family and friends. Then Jay gets an anonymous text that says "Enjoyed your video," which initiates a frantic mission for Jay and Annie to retrieve all the I Pads in order to find out who saw the video and to prevent it from going viral.

What was refreshing about this story is that it wasn't really about the making of the tape itself, which actually takes only a few minutes of screen time, but watching Jay and Annie confront people who got the I Pads and trying to gauge from their faces whether or not they've watched it yet or not. The confrontation with their best friends Robby (Rob Corddry, who co-starred with Diaz in What Happens in Vegas) and Ellie Kemper (from NBC's The Office) is brilliantly directed and the reveal that they have watched the tape is not as obvious as you would expect and I love that they not only support Jay and Annie in their mission, but that they LOVED the tape.

Jake Kasdan's direction ranges from manic to on-target, with the above mentioned scene a definite highlight. Jason Segel and Kate Angelo's screenplay doesn't shy away from the subject matter and really only gets away from them in one scene that features a hysterically funny cameo by Jack Black (where has he been?), but doesn't ever get truly nasty or obscene.

Kasdan puts a lot of trust in his actors here. Segel and Diaz, who did work well together in Bad Teacher make a wonderful couple here and the fact that they have slightly better material than they did with Bad Teacher is a definite asset. Corddry is very funny as is Rob Lowe playing a potential business partner of Annie's who also got an I Pad. Segel's confrontation with Lowe's very angry dog is pretty funny too. Also loved the outtakes from the actual sex tape which Kasdan cleverly placed at the end of the story. Like I said, it's no classic, but a big improvement over Bad Teacher.

MOULIN ROUGE

As mentioned in my review of The Great Gatsy, Baz Luhrman is a director who prefers flash over substance, great visuals over great dialogue, and risk over the safe and conventional and never was this more evident than in his 2001 surprise hit Moulin Rouge, a splashy and colorful musical diversion that broke all the rules of movie musicals, causing passionate debate over its merits...this is one of those films that people either really really love or really really hate.

What Luhrman has done here is taken a classic movie storyline that is very simple on the surface and employed every cinematic illusion in his directorial magic hat to distract us from seeing how really conventional the story is by surrounding it with enough pageantry and dazzle that we think we're seeing something unique. When you strip away all the smoke and mirrors, what you have here is a romantic triangle: a wide-eyed and sensitive writer (Ewan MacGregor) instantly falls in love with a courtesan (read: prostitute) named Satine (Nicole Kidman) who returns the writer's feelings, but is also being wooed by a wealthy Duke (Richard Roxburgh), who has agreed to finance Satine's latest stage venture in exchange for her sexual slavery.

Luhrman takes this variation on a cinematic love story and dresses it up with cinematic storytelling techniques from other places...we have love at first sight, we have the woman choosing love or money, the obsessive rich guy who sees his competition but is in denial about it, the man willing to use his money to secure the love of a woman who doesn't love him and even murder the man she does love and how just when it seems live love conquers all, star-crossed lovers can still be kept apart and endings aren't always happy.

These story elements are nothing new to movies so Luhrman dazzles us with amazing visuals and musical interludes and since the story elements aren't original, Luhrman didn't feel that an original score was necessary, so he borrowed classic and contemporary music that somehow perfectly frames the story. Luhrman tells a musical story that takes place in turn of the century Paris but somehow makes music by Rodgers and Hammerstein, Madonna, Elton John, and Paul McCartney seem absolutely at home and appropriate with some stylish new arrangements by Craig Armstrong, though there are a couple of songs written especially for the movie like "Come What May" and "The Show Must Go On" that work too, though some of the most memorable musical moments in the film are new interpretations of songs we know like "Diamonds are a Girl Best Friend" and especially "Roxanne", a dazzling combination of intense vocals, inventive choreography and effective editing that must be seen to be believed.

Luhrman's hand-picked cast is perfection, led by Nicole Kidman's dazzling star turn as Satine, which earned her an Oscar nomination, perfectly complimented by MacGregor who creates one of the sexiest leading men I have ever seen in a musical. Kudos as well to Jim Broadbent as Zidler, the theater owner and John Leguizamo as Toulouse Lau-trec. The film won richly deserved Oscars for art direction/set direction and for costumes, which should have been no surprise for a director who is all about the visual...the film I suspect is an acquired taste, but a musical lover who is looking to be challenged might find something to work with here.

SPIDERMAN 2

Sam Raimi's ambitious direction is the primary asset of 2004's Spiderman 2, the sequel to his 2002 hit that, despite some minor plot contrivances and credibility issues provides solid entertainment for most of its running time.

This film finds Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) dealing with everything in his life going wrong...he's lost his little part-time job, the girl he loves, MJ (Kirsten Dunst) is marrying someone else, he's flunking out of college, and he's moments from being thrown out of his dingy rented room because he's behind in his rent. Meanwhile Spiderman has to deal with Dr. Otto Octavius (Alfred Molina), a brilliant scientist who has developed a fusion energy source mechanism that consists of four huge mechanical octopus like tentacles that the "Doc Ock" loses control of and finds himself the unwitting commander of a seemingly unstoppable killing machine. Issues that Peter has with best friend Harry (James Franco) also come to light.

Sam Raimi and screenwriter have mounted a story that initially annoys but works once it gets going. The film spends way too much time dumping on poor Peter Parker and just when you think there's nothing else that can happen to him, Spiderman loses his powers and gives up crime fighting but we're supposed to accept the fact that the second that MJ is in danger, his powers magically reappear? However, there are some moments of real sadness and pathos that really register...I loved when Peter attempts to get his powers back by trying to jump over the top of a pair of buildings, fails, and hurts his back...the sight of him walking between the parked cars in the alley holding his injured back was one of the saddest things I have ever seen. I also loved at the end of the hard to believe stopping the train sequence that it took everything out of Spiderman and he literally collapses in the arms of the passengers...a beautiful reminder that this super hero is human, which is sometimes easy to forget.

The film also brings up a lot of question regarding the sanctity of Peter's secret identity and doesn't really provide answers. It is implied that Aunt May (Rosemary Harris) suspects who her nephew is, but never voices it...MJ tells Peter that she suspects it, yet we're supposed to believe that Harry had no clue? Harry's shock at learning the truth was a little hard to swallow but what it led to was brilliant...a perfect set-up for a third film.

Tobey Maguire once again brings a beautifully human aspect to this super hero and the offbeat casting choice of Alfred Molina as Doc Ock was inspired...I loved that Doc Ock had a conscience and that he didn't want to cause all the harm he did, including the death of his wife (Donna Murphy), and even in full villain mode, Molina always conveyed Otto's lack of control in the situation and I love the glance of his humility we are provided near the climax. The movie takes awhile to get going but once it does, it's a fun ride and I never found myself looking at my watch.

SCREAM 3

Wes Craven, screenwriter Ehren Kruger and the gang from Woodsboro are back for another round of slasher madness in Scream 3,a fresh variation of tongue in cheek gore that captures the spirit of the first film better than the second and puts the characters we really care about center stage.

The film opens with the murder of Cotton Weary (Liev Schreiber) who was considering a cameo appearance in the third STAB film where the killer again rears his ugly head once again in an attempt to get to our heroine Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell), who finally has to face the truth about her mother.

Craven and Kruger got the franchise back on track here with a return to the subtle humor that lets the audience in on the joke, primarily through the meeting of the real Woodsboro characters and the actors playing them in STAB who take their roles very seriously until they realize that these roles might be a possible death warrant.

The film reunites Dewey (David Arquette) and Gail (Courtney Cox Arquette with a bad haircut) in Hollywood where Dewey is a technical consultant on STAB 3 and Gail is the host of her own entertainment magazine show. The "will they or won't they" between these two characters still has mileage and Craven and Williamson are fully aware of that. The attraction between the two is always an undercurrent here though both find themselves very serious about getting to the bottom of what's going on. I love watching these two but I'm kind of over Sidney...I don't know if it's the actress or the character or the fact that Craven hasn't properly explained what he's trying to do here, but Sidney just seems like she accidentally wandered off the set of a more serious slasher movie, though Campbell does manage a semblance of chemistry with Patrick Dempsey, the detective who gets involved in the goings-on with Cotton's murder.

The Arquettes had proven chemistry and when given chance to carry the story, they really delivered...there's also solid support from Lance Henriksen, Scott Foley, Josh Pais, and especially Parker Posey, who steals every scene she's in as STAB Gail Weathers. The second film was a little too serious in tone for what I was introduced to in the first film, but this film is more in spirit of the first and was a lot of fun.

Well, I love the seriousness of Scream 2. It's the darkest Scream movie and I love it for that.

Kevin Williamson actually did not write Scream 3. He wrote the treatment for it, but his treatment was vastly different from what they actually made. Ehren Kruger wrote the screenplay. Some of Kevin Williamson's ideas are still in the movie -- like being on the set of Stab 3 and Gale having Parker Posey tagging along with her. Parker Posey is great. I like Scream 3. But I would have liked to have seen what a true Kevin Williamson version of it would be like, since this is basically an Ehren Kruger screenplay.

Well, I love the seriousness of Scream 2. It's the darkest Scream movie and I love it for that.

Kevin Williamson actually did not write Scream 3. He wrote the treatment for it, but his treatment was vastly different from what they actually made. Ehren Kruger wrote the screenplay. Some of Kevin Williamson's ideas are still in the movie -- like being on the set of Stab 3 and Gale having Parker Posey tagging along with her. Parker Posey is great. I like Scream 3. But I would have liked to have seen what a true Kevin Williamson version of it would be like, since this is basically an Ehren Kruger screenplay.
I know you preferred 2, but it seems that the humor was a predominant spirit of the first film and one of the main reasons I enjoyed it so much, not your typical slasher film, you know? So I was a little turned off by the serious tone of the 2nd film, but the tone of the first film seemed to resurface in 3 and that's why I enjoyed it more. I didn't realize Williamson didn't write the screenplay, I will make that correction in my review.

You rated the worst Scream movie higher than the second film? Damn.

And not that I follow these things closely and always trust in them, but on Rotten Tomatoes the first sequel has a 81% score from critics, while the third film has a series-low of 36% ...

I can't quite remember what I wrote about the first and second films a while back when I rewatched them, but I do remember feeling like the sequel went on a little too long and got a little too lost in its own spoof of sequels and follow-ups. The missing tongue in cheek humor I don't remember much, I actually seem to recall it was more fun and more aware than the first, and sometimes too much aware.

Scream 3 feels kinda like a soap opera to me. Gideon likes those things.

ZOMBIELAND

From the "Check your brain at the door and enjoy the ride" genre of filmmaking comes 2009's Zombieland, a thundering and imaginative post-Apocalyptic adventure that moves at a lightening pace, never takes itself too seriously and entertains from start to finish.

The entire country has been destroyed by zombies, leaving nothing but carnage and destruction in their wake. There are a handful of human survivors trying to find passage to safety but, of course, the zombies are still out there.

Columbus (Jesse Eisenberg) is a nerdy college student trying to get back to Ohio to find his parents who runs into Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson), a cocky, gun-toting tough guy obsessed with twinkies and they meet a pair of sisters (Emma Stone, Abigail Breslin), also trying to get home, initiating one of the wildest human vs zombie showdowns ever.

Director Ruben Fleischer displays definite influence in his work...Spielberg, Tarantino, Romero, Craven...his use of slow motion even brings to mind the great Sam Peckinpah, but it is influence only...his work is truly original and his ability to properly pace an action film is unparalleled. The main reason I said to check your brain at the door is because the movie doesn't allow you time to think...if you try to figure out everything that's going on, you're going to miss a lot. The screenplay by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick is delightfully tongue in cheek and applies great pressure to the 4th wall without actually breaking it...every time Columbus employs one of his rules, it appears on the screen in huge block lettering. We're placed in the middle of an awesome action adventure that never lets us forget it's just a movie either.

Woody Harrelson absolutely lights up the screen as Tallahassee and appears to be having a ball here...I don't think I have ever enjoyed him onscreen more and the unexpected chemistry between him and Eisenberg, brilliantly channeling Tony Randall, is a joy to watch. There's also an off-the-wall cameo appearance by Bill Murray, whose mansion provides our quartet a brief respite from their adventure, but it's only brief. This movie was one hell of a roller coaster ride...speaking of which, the finale that takes place in a deserted amusement park, is nothing short of spectacular. Don't try to figure it out, don't think about it, just hold onto something and watch. Fans of Tremors, Eight Legged Freaks, and From Dusk Til Dawn will have a head start here.

SCREAM 4

Mad genius Wes Craven and partner in crime Kevin Williamson have brought their Woodsboro adventures full circle with 2011's Scream 4, the best film since the first that once again finds that seamless blend of tongue in cheek humor and genuine horror in a viable story from a formula that should have been running out of steam but apparently is anything but.

It's been ten years since the first film and there have now been 7 STAB films made that have taken on a cult status in Woodsboro a la The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The local movie buffs even have an annual STAB-a-thon where they watch all seven films back to back. Sydney Prescott (Neve Campbell) has written a best selling book and has returned to Woodsboro for a book signing on the same day that the killings start again with a pair of sisters.

To say much more about the plot would ruin it for the uninitiated, but suffice it to say, that Craven and Williamson have actually created a fourth story that not only has cinematic legs, but actually does a 360 back to the first film that I really didn't see coming. Again, Craven and Williamson continue to break the rules, having characters talk about horror movie cliches before they are actually played out onscreen, only exacerbating the shock for the viewer. As mentioned onscreen during the film, the murders have gotten bigger, badder, and bloodier...Ghostface is not playing this time, getting too close for comfort with characters we've grown to love like Sheriff Dewey (David Arquette) and wife Gail (Courtney Cox), who find their marriage as well as their lives jeopardized here.

The Arquettes and Neve Campell wear these characters like comfortable shoes by now and there is some solid new support here from Marley Shelton, Hayden Pannetiere, Rory Culkin, and especially Emma Roberts, but it is the genius of Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson, creating the most unique movie franchise I have ever experienced, bringing it full circle and leaving the option for more.

I'm glad you liked it. For me, Scream 4 is the worst one, but I don't hate it. Ehren Kruger worked on that movie's screenplay a little, too. There were plans for Scream 5 and Scream 6, but Scream 4 didn't do so well at the box office and then Wes Craven died.

Man,we have totally different views on scream 4..but i think we may have discussed it before?
courtney looks great in that poster though,i always get sad when i see her now,she was so beautiful

Man,we have totally different views on scream 4..but i think we may have discussed it before?
courtney looks great in that poster though,i always get sad when i see her now,she was so beautiful
I think have totally different views on the entire franchise than anyone else here.

I think have totally different views on the entire franchise than anyone else here.
Actually you pretty much have the majority opinion, only difference is you prefer 3 to 2.

Scream 4 is the best since the original i agree.

I absolutely hated it. but i love the first 3-i would find it difficult to rate them though as i love different things about each.
im surprised to not see Neve Campbell in more stuff though-she was everywhere for awhile in the 90s.