Favourite Horror Films since 2000

Tools    

Unregistered User
Surprised no-one mentioned Martyrs. Would be high up my list along with Kill List. I'm a sucker for home invasion so could add the likes of The Strangers, Inside, Sleep Tight etc

Surprised no-one mentioned Martyrs.
I thought it was a solid movie, but not one of my favorites.

High Tension
Frontiers
Inside

are all better french horror films imo

The Martyrs American remake was god awful.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I liked Martyrs, but can only stomach one viewing.

Suspect's Reviews

I considered Martyrs for my list, but there were only ten spots.

1. The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
  2. It Follows (2014)
  3. Eden Lake (2008)
  4. The Others (2001)
  5. Silent Hill (2006)
  6. A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
  7. The Ring (2002)
  8. The Witch (2015)
  9. 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)
  10. Hidden (2015)

I still haven't seen a couple acclaimed ones like Let the Right One In or Ginger Snaps yet, but here are mine that I can remember.

1. Silent Hill (of course! )
2. Pan's Labyrinth
3. Dog Soldiers
4. Dawn of the Dead (2004 remake)
5. Underworld (more action-horror but I really like the first one)
6. Antichrist
7. Shaun of the Dead (comedy horror spoof but I'll include it anyway)
8. The Witch
9. Blade 2
10. Sinister

I have a feeling I'm forgetting one... oh well.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
1. Let the Right One In (2008)
To me, it's one of the most beautiful films ever made, brilliant in every way!

2. It Follows (2014)
So, so creative. I don't understand how people don't like this, although some of the acting is quite crappy. Best horror film of the decade without a doubt and the soundtrack was splendid One of the best Anglophone horror films in a very, very long time!

3. Martyrs (2008)
A film of two halves, but both were magnificent. The child abuse sub plot was even more gut wrenching because it's sadly a reflection of reality. I thought the ending was superb and very thought provoking as well! But like Suspect said, there's no way I could watch this again

4. Calvaire (2004)
Watching someone do a cow doesn't even cover half of the disturbing things in this

5. 28 Days Later (2002)
The "humans are the real monsters" thing is drastically overdone, and since Mary Shelley, very few people have done it effectively, but it worked here. The idea of rallying up young women to rape and subsequently re-populate a desolate Britain was terrifying but simplistic.

6. The Descent (2005)
Very claustrophobic, very compelling. The evolved, human element of the monsters was interesting, too!

7. Ginger Snaps (2000)
One of the best werewolf films out there! Very emotive, and very powerful. Katharine Isabelle and Emily Perkins were terrific. Another horror that is actually darkly funny at points!

8. You're Next (2011)
The humour is subtle and actually works in it, unlike 99% of horror films that try to be funny. It was very enjoyable though, and a nice ode to the home invasions films during the exploitation era.

9. American Mary (2012)
Ginger Snaps is the better film, but this is Katharine Isabelle's best performance by some considerable length. Tristan Risk is terrific in this as well, and is one of the most underrated actresses out there at the moment. It had its faults as well, but on the whole, it was hugely original and very lovingly crafted!

10. Session 9 (2001)
The acting was pretty dire, but it was freaking terrifying at some points

I have to return some videotapes...
1. Shaun of the Dead
2. 28 Days Later
3. The Descent
4. Evil Dead Remake
5. Saw
6. Trick r' Treat
7. It Follows
8. Dawn of the Dead Remake
9. Hostel
10. Paranormal Activity

2. Pan's Labyrinth
Well if this counts as horror then it would easily be my #1. I never count it as horror though. IMDB has it as drama, fantasy, war and i think wiki decribes it perfectly as dark fantasy.

6. Trick r' Treat
Seems to only be us two who really like thsi.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I would have had that #1 if I counted it as horror. It certainly has plenty of horrific parts though.

I love Trick r Treat! Shut up, Camo!
What was your favourite story? Mines was probably Sams. I really liked the principals one too found it really funny and i love Dylan Baker, and the bus massacre one was good too. Didn't like the virgin one that much though.

I liked the principal one and the virgin one most. My least favorite was Sams. You're the weird one, Camo, not me!

I liked the principal one and the virgin one most. My least favorite was Sams. You're the weird one, Camo, not me!
I don't know:

WARNING: "Sams story spoilers" spoilers below
I love the idea of Sam being the protector of the rules and traditions of Halloween and i felt they built up my curiosity perfectly before explaining it really well. Also that last scene starting from when the old guy comes out to give the kids candy all bandaged up and we pan out to the rest of the neighbourhood seeing all the other characters was one of my favourites. Also i just love Sams design with or without the sack head and just the way he moves about.

The Virgin one:

WARNING: "virgin story spoilers" spoilers below
Wasn't bad i just felt it wasn't as interesting as the others and i didn't like how three of the scenes from it where told in during the first two stories. Admittedly though the transformation scene was good and i didn't see either twist coming. One thing i didn't get was the principal vampire scene when he attacked the girl outside the bar, what did he do to her if he didn't bite her and why was she drowsy? Since he clearly wasn't a vampire as one of the girls took his fake fangs out.

Another thing i didn't get:

WARNING: "principal story spoilers" spoilers below
In the principal story how was the kids head on the table at the end? He was clearly burying him, obviously you can say he was only burying his body but then how was his body moving? It's not as if he cut his head off and brought it in the house before he covered the hole back up because he comes straight into the house after it and the head is already down in the garage. Did i miss something or were we just to take this as a supernatural element? If we are that is a bit disappointing because i liked how that story was the only one without anything supernatural.

Sorry for turning this into the Trick r Treat discussion thread haha, it was just a few thing i was wondering.

Well if this counts as horror then it would easily be my #1. I never count it as horror though. IMDB has it as drama, fantasy, war and i think wiki decribes it perfectly as dark fantasy.
I would have had that #1 if I counted it as horror. It certainly has plenty of horrific parts though.
If Shaun of the Dead is being counted then I definitely think Pan's Labyrinth should. Even just for the Pale Man alone!

I'll understand if you wanna do strictly horror that it might not be counted, but for me I consider it a fantasy-horror with a war side story.

My life's a disaster zone.
Kill List - unsure whether it qualifies as a horror, very creepy though.

If Shaun of the Dead is being counted then I definitely think Pan's Labyrinth should. Even just for the Pale Man alone!

I'll understand if you wanna do strictly horror that it might not be counted, but for me I consider it a fantasy-horror with a war side story.
Count it if you want, i see why you would i just don't think of it as one. To me it is like considering Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter horror because of some of the monsters featured, obviously those are on a lesser scale but that is just what i think of it.

Shaun of the Dead is pretty clearly a Horror-Comedy. Obviously it isn't going to scare anyone other than maybe very young children but it has gore and zombies and jump scares. I just think it fits horror better than Pan's even though it is more comedy.

Not super-crazy for horror from this time period, but i'll go

1. SCREAM 4

Yeah Yeah Yeah

2. FREDDY vs. JASON

3. JENNIFER'S BODY

Hole - Courtney Love

4. BUBBA HO-TEP

5. TRICK 'r TREAT

Jack O'Lanterns