Mojo Filter's Top 30 Beatles Songs

Tools    

As you all know by now from my previous thread, my all-time favorite band are The Beatles.

John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr made the most incredible music in history together.

The following are my all-time Top 30 favorite Beatles songs ...
(All the songs in this list are original compositions, no cover versions are included!)

30. YOUR MOTHER SHOULD KNOW
(Lennon/McCartney - 1967, Magical Mystery Tour)

Magical Mystery Tour was a dreadful movie, but both the film and the soundtrack album had some really great moments, the highlight being this sweet and charming Paul-penned tune.

29. TICKET TO RIDE
(Lennon/McCartney - 1965, Help!)

John was the main songwriter of this classic. Paul's contribution, according to John, was the way Ringo "played the drums." Paul disagreed, insisting that both he and John wrote the song together, but crediting John for writing 60% of it.

28. SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND/WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS
(Lennon/McCartney - 1967, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band)

Paul was the chief songwriter of and main contributor to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, both the song and album, as well as the concept in which The Beatles pretended to be a different band. With A Little Help From My Friends was a product of John and Paul working together to come up with the right song for Ringo, playing the role of the imaginary character Billy Shears, to sing. The result was a phenomenal breakthrough and historical milestone in music.

27. I'M ONLY SLEEPING
(Lennon/McCartney - 1966, Revolver)

John wrote this song about himself being physically lazy when not touring. The song, featured on the groundbreaking Revolver album, also marks one of The Beatles' first experimentations with Psychedelic Rock.

26. BLACKBIRD
(Lennon/McCartney - 1968, The Beatles)

Paul wrote this song about the Civil Rights Movement and the racial tensions of the 1960's in America. With Paul's subtle and simple arrangement of acoustic guitar and foot taps, it's one of the most powerful songs on The Beatles' self-titled double album, famously known as The White Album.

25. RAIN
(Lennon/McCartney - 1966, B-Side to "Paperback Writer")

John wrote this song during the Revolver recording sessions, but the song did not appear on the album. It ended up as the B-side to stand-alone single Paperback Writer. The song, recorded during The Beatles' experimentation stage, is famous for being the first ever recording in history to include backward vocals, courtesy of John and producer George Martin.

24. I WANT YOU (SHE'S SO HEAVY)
(Lennon/McCartney - 1969, Abbey Road)

Contrary to popular belief that John wrote this song about heroin, the bluesy 8-minute epic is entirely about his infatuation with Yoko Ono. The song is considered to be groundbreaking and original in that it introduced the world to what would later be known as 'doom metal'. It's hard to believe and quite amazing that the same group that started off writing those fast pop songs like Please Please Me and She Loves You would sound like this just a few years later, but that's what makes The Beatles the best band ever.

25. RAIN
(Lennon/McCartney - 1966, B-Side to "Paperback Writer")

John wrote this song during the Revolver recording sessions, but the song did not appear on the album. It ended up as the B-side to stand-alone single Paperback Writer. The song, recorded during The Beatles' experimentation stage, is famous for being the first ever recording in history to include backward vocals, courtesy of John and producer George Martin.

I think Paul claimed he co-wrote even this one, like even 50-50.

24. I WANT YOU (SHE'S SO HEAVY)
(Lennon/McCartney - 1969, Abbey Road)

Contrary to popular belief that John wrote this song about heroin, the bluesy 7-minute epic is entirely about his infatuation with Yoko Ono. The song is considered to be groundbreaking and original in that it introduced the world to what would later be known as 'doom metal'. It's hard to believe and quite amazing that the same group that started off writing those fast pop songs like Please Please Me and She Loves You would sound like this just a few years later, but that's what makes The Beatles the best band ever.

Ah, yes! It's the most "Pink Floyd" Beatles song. Criminaly underrated. Only John can write something like this.

23. MOTHER NATURE'S SON

This beautifully arranged acoustic number was written by Paul with, according to Paul, a little contribution by John during The Beatles' 1968 visit to the Maharishi in India. The song was recorded for the White Album by Paul with producer George Martin in the absence of all the other band members, to the dismay of John.

22. HERE COMES THE SUN
(Harrison - 1969, Abbey Road)

Even though he had written numerous songs before, in my opinion, 1969 was the year when George Harrison really blossomed as a singer/songwriter, with 2 of his songs, Here Comes The Sun and Something, landing on the album Abbey Road; both songs rivaling the best of Lennon and McCartney's catalog and being amongst the most relevant compositions of his entire career.

21. EVERYBODY'S GOT SOMETHING TO HIDE EXCEPT FOR ME AND MY MONKEY

By 1968, John was known for writing the edgier and more straight-out hard-hitting rock songs, while Paul was known for the softer and much less subtle songs; that's not saying that John didn't write any ballads, and Paul didn't know how to rock out. Not only was Me And My Monkey one of John's hardest rocking songs, but it is the song with the longest title in the entire Beatles' song catalog. According to John, the track, like many of his compositions during the late 60's, is about him and Yoko.

22. HERE COMES THE SUN
(Harrison - 1969, Abbey Road)

Even though he had written numerous songs before, in my opinion, 1969 was the year when George Harrison really blossomed as a singer/songwriter, with 2 of his songs, Here Comes The Sun and Something, landing on the album Abbey Road; both songs rivaling the best of Lennon and McCartney's catalog and being amongst the most relevant compositions of his entire career.
Ah, YES!!! One of the most beautiful songs ever written! I was just talking today to a guy, and it's his fave.

20. I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND
(Lennon/McCartney - 1963, Meet The Beatles!)

John and Paul wrote this song together when The Beatles were breaking through to international fame. The song was their first hit in America. Beatlemania had finally conquered both sides of the Atlantic...and the rest is history.

Not many Beatle's songs I don't like but I Want To Hold Your Hand comes close. I really like the rest, Here Comes The Sun being my favorite so far.

19. I ME MINE
(Harrison - 1970, Let It Be)

George wrote this song about egocentrism. It was the last song ever to be recorded by the band, excluding John, before they officially disbanded in 1970. It is my all-time favorite Beatle George song.

Not many Beatle's songs I don't like but I Want To Hold Your Hand comes close. I really like the rest, Here Comes The Sun being my favorite so far.

I love all of their songs, but I am a bigger fan of their material from the 1967 - 1970 era. I Want To Hold Your Hand is an exciting pop song from early on that I couldn't help but include in my Top 30. My father used to love their earlier stuff, and this along with She Loves You were the first songs I ever heard by them.