The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It is after midnight, making it Monday here on the east coast of the USA, as well as the bar I am sitting in. So take it from my phone, chumps.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	house.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	16480  

Well, it's not midnight for me. So I get four movies in one day.

HOLY CRAP.

Finally a movie I have seen AND voted for.

I didn't exactly love it, but Hausu was definitely an unforgettable and bizarre trip.

My List
1. Not On The Countdown
22. Hausu
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Hausu is a crazy fantasy with lots of creativity and not much budget. I think a little of it goes a long way but it's short, so I won't complain about its inclusion. I know some others will. All the President's Men gets my vote as Pakula's best film, and I saw it eight times at the theatre when it came out. It's a great history lesson but done as a human comedy, crossed with a paranoid mystery/thriller, by the awesome cast and terrific William Goldman script. There are so many wonderful performances (basically everybody, including those whose voices are only heard on the phone), but kudos to Redford and Hoffman for playing Woodstein. Oh, it's probably the best newspaper picture ever made. Too bad I didn't vote for it.

hausu just missed my list. probably would've had it at #27. that says more about how few 70s movies i've seen than the quality of the movie, but i still really like it. haven't seen the other one, but it was on my watchlist.

i've now seen 7/26 with two from my list.

I had All The Presidents Men at #14 on my list. Two superb performances, probably my favourite performance from each. I'm not a Redford fan, but he's great in this and the script is top notch.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
President's Men is a good film but I think that hangs entirely on it being a portrayal of real events. In that respect, it's not much of a film at all. Never heard of Hausau.

And I agree with honeykid that Reford and Hoffman are great in it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
"All The President's Men" was one of the movies that kept flipping on and off my list, but it eventually ended up off my list in favor of a few other Robert Redford movies that I like better, but it's a great movie, and I'm glad that it's on the list. (Not that there was ever any doubt in my mind that it would make it.)

I've never heard of the other movie.

I know Hausu is a weird little low budget foreign film, but I have to wonder what parts of these forums the people who have never heard of it have been reading? It seems like discussion of it has been all over the boards recently.

But maybe that's just me and my obsessive checking of the forums like 20 times a day.

I know Hausu is a weird little low budget foreign film, but I have to wonder what parts of these forums the people who have never heard of it have been reading? It seems like discussion of it has been all over the boards recently.

But maybe that's just me and my obsessive checking of the forums like 20 times a day.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I tend to zone out when the conversation is about foreign films. I've watched a few of them for the movie tournament, but I think there was only one that I actually liked.

I tend to zone out when the conversation is about foreign films.
I tend not to pay that much attention to discussion of foreign films either, but when any movie has imagery like this:

I get just a little bit curious.

I tend not to pay that much attention to discussion of foreign films either, but when any movie has imagery like this:

I get just a little bit curious.

I don't know anything about the movie, but that's gonna give me nightmares.

This was largely a test to see if I could do an update, including the anchors on the first page, from a bar, with a slight buzz, from my phone. For clarification, I am the buzzing one, not my android.

Test successful.

*URP*
Attachments

Name:	2014-07-28 00.44.15.jpg
Views:	1329
Size:	317.1 KB
ID:	16475  

This was more difficult to look up in a bar, but now I'm finally home, so....this was yet another tie, both earning exactly one hundred points. Hausu had three top ten votes (a 4th, an 8th, and a 9th) and appeared on eight lists overall. Even though All the President's Men had only one top ten vote (a 5th place), it was on twelve ballots, making it the seventy-fifth film on the countdown, and Hausu the seventy-sixth.

Attachments

Name:	pres.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	16479