Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2021 Film Challenge (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=62923)

Wyldesyde19 10-17-21 06:38 PM

Overachiever!
I’m still about 25 films from finishing both lists, meanwhile, Tak is on her second run….

Takoma11 10-17-21 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2246408)
Overachiever!
I’m still about 25 films from finishing both lists, meanwhile, Tak is on her second run….
Take how many films I watch in a week. Divide by 1.5. On a scale from one to ten, that is how stressed out I am.

Wyldesyde19 10-23-21 12:39 AM

Will Jabs be unable to finish his own challenge??? 😜

Wyldesyde19 11-01-21 10:34 PM

Update! 11/1! Almost finished with this, and I should be able to knock this out by the beginning of December.*
Only a few of the Main challenges are problematic, but I guess I can order the ones I need off of the criterion collection.
Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

edarsenal 11-02-21 04:39 PM

Re: 2021 Film Challenge

Kickin some serious BEE-Hind, wylde!!

VERY cool ass films there.
Tell me of 3. a silent film Cobra (1925). What was that like? Never heard of it and the title sorta caught me. Looking it up I see it's a Rudolph Valentino film and I ain't never see one of his full features YET. (bad llama). Curious about your thoughts on that one.

Wyldesyde19 11-02-21 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2250379)
Kickin some serious BEE-Hind, wylde!!

VERY cool ass films there.
Tell me of 3. a silent film Cobra (1925). What was that like? Never heard of it and the title sorta caught me. Looking it up I see it's a Rudolph Valentino film and I ain't never see one of his full features YET. (bad llama). Curious about your thoughts on that one.
It actually was pretty decent. I’d recommend it based purely in the fact that Valentino dies well before his time and while he has a larger then expected filmography, many of those are lost films that may never be found.

edarsenal 11-03-21 12:06 AM

I just finished it and like you said, it WAS pretty decent. A bit slow, with almost little going on, but it definitely shows the talent of the man. Ranging from playful to tortured.
Makes me curious to watch one of his more successful films, The Eagle (1925).
I also stumbled over this Cecil de Mille film, The Affairs of Anatol (1921) that caught my eye. Have ya heard of that one?

Wyldesyde19 11-03-21 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2250435)
I just finished it and like you said, it WAS pretty decent. A bit slow, with almost little going on, but it definitely shows the talent of the man. Ranging from playful to tortured.
Makes me curious to watch one of his more successful films, The Eagle (1925).
I also stumbled over this Cecil de Mille film, The Affairs of Anatol (1921) that caught my eye. Have ya heard of that one?
I also watched The Eagle for this challenge, and liked it as well, though not as much as Cobra.
Haven’t seen the DeMille one but for next years challenge, I’m choosing the 1920’s as my Decade.

edarsenal 11-03-21 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2250437)
I also watched The Eagle for this challenge, and liked it as well, though not as much as Cobra.
Haven’t seen the DeMille one but for next years challenge, I’m choosing the 1920’s as my Decade.
The Twenties could be a solid decade to go with. I've been pretty sparse with that decade through my life as well.
I'll hold on to a Link I found for the de Mille should ya find yourself interested.
I'll definitely will be joining in next year's as well.

Wyldesyde19 11-03-21 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2250441)
The Twenties could be a solid decade to go with. I've been pretty sparse with that decade through my life as well.
I'll hold on to a Link I found for the de Mille should ya find yourself interested.
I'll definitely will be joining in next year's as well.
Definitely interested!
I’m looking forward to next year already. Have a bunch of directors available via tubi that I aim to use for many of the categories.
Choosing Takashi Miike as my director, since he has 10 films available on tubi.
Hopefully, they remain once the new year turns.

edarsenal 11-03-21 12:38 PM

Seen only a couple of Miike.
I'm almost tempted to go with deMille. I'd have to go over his list a little more to see.

Question: when the end of the year comes and there are still unfinished spots, do we continue to finish them off in the new year while starting up the next year's challenge?

Wyldesyde19 11-03-21 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2250513)
Seen only a couple of Miike.
I'm almost tempted to go with deMille. I'd have to go over his list a little more to see.

Question: when the end of the year comes and there are still unfinished spots, do we continue to finish them off in the new year while starting up the next year's challenge?
It means you failed to finish the challenge within the time frame, and thus failed. Bad!

edarsenal 11-03-21 02:43 PM

gotcha

Wyldesyde19 11-03-21 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2250582)
gotcha
It bears mentioning that it’s not a literal contest or anything, but just a fun challenge. If you can’t finish it, there’s no shame to that. 🙂

Wyldesyde19 11-05-21 04:20 PM

Made a purchased off of the criterion collection today to finish the normal challenge:
Frances Ha (mumblecore)
Ashes and Diamonds (Polish film school)
Ride the Pink Horse (recommended by another participant)

Should arrive within the next week or so. Meanwhile, I’m going to continue to crank out Nightmare Mode, which is now down to 18 films.

Takoma11 11-05-21 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2251153)
Made a purchased off of the criterion collection today to finish the normal challenge:
Frances Ha (mumblecore)
Ashes and Diamonds (Polish film school)
I really like both of these movies. I think Frances Ha gets a bum rap from people who, and I rarely say this about film, don't actually understand the point the movie is making.

Wyldesyde19 11-05-21 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2251159)
I really like both of these movies. I think Frances Ha gets a bum rap from people who, and I rarely say this about film, don't actually understand the point the movie is making.
I’ve been meaning to watch Frances Ha for years, and just haven’t gotten the chance to yet. Really looking forward to it. *
Ashes and Diamonds is another, although it’s been on my radar for well over a decade now as well.
I only learned about Rise the Pink Horse about 2 years ago I think? Sometime after I joined this site, anyways. So looking forward to that as well.

Wyldesyde19 11-08-21 04:09 PM

That was quick!
My criterion films arrived!
*does happy dance*
Between those three and renting La Roue this weekend, I will be able to finish normal mode before December rolls around.
That’ll give me enough time to finish what ever lefts overs I have in Nightmare mode (17 as of today).

Captain Terror 11-12-21 12:58 AM

B. Times are a-changing
[Watch one film from each of these iconic decade-genre combinations]
1. 1930s Musical - Follow Thru (1930)
2. 1940s War film - The Most Beautiful (1944)
3. 1970s Apocalyptic film - The Chosen Survivors (1974)
4. 1980s Coming-of-age film - The Boy Who Drank Too Much (1980)
5. 1990s Courtroom Drama - The Rainmaker (1997)

7 films remaining

If anyone can recommend a good one from the Polish Film School, lay it on me.

crumbsroom 11-12-21 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2252678)

Night Train
The Devil

kgaard 11-12-21 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2252678)
Kanal is excellent.

Captain Terror 11-12-21 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2252679)
Night Train
The Devil
Thank you, sir!

Originally Posted by kgaard (Post 2252745)
Kanal is excellent.
And thank you, sir!
This appears to be part of a trilogy? (That's based on approx 30 seconds of research on my part.) Is it ok to watch it out of sequence?

Jabs 11-12-21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2252904)
This appears to be part of a trilogy? (That's based on approx 30 seconds of research on my part.) Is it ok to watch it out of sequence?

Yes they are only thematically connected.

kgaard 11-12-21 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2252904)
And thank you, sir!
Is it? ( :googles: ) It is! Yeah, I just watched this without watching A Generation. A glance at the wiki page of that one suggests that the two aren't related except thematically, I guess? In my experience, at least, the sequence doesn't matter.

It looks like all three films are on Criterion if you prefer to do it in order, though.

Captain Terror 11-14-21 11:00 PM

How soon is now?
watch 10 films released in 2021
1 Red Dot
2 Jakob's Wife
3 Oxygene
4 Fear Street 1994
5 Fear Street 1978
6 Fear Street 1666
7 Godzilla vs Kong
8 Martyrs Lane
9 Censor
10 In the Earth

I actually completed Nightmare Mode before the Main Challenge.

5 movies left!

SarahKarim 11-17-21 06:03 AM

nice

Takoma11 11-17-21 10:01 PM

Down to my last category really (I have two more films from Demy to watch and I need to finish Foreign Correspondent for my actor category), and trying to decide on a country. I was originally going to do another Fassbinder binge (and thus do 10 German films), but I am wrapping up a 10-film run from Demy and I'm not sure I want to do that immediately again. Then I was going to do Japan, but I realized that's what I did the first time around.

I'm kind of in a thriller/action mood, so maybe I should go with South Korea? Thoughts?

Wyldesyde19 11-17-21 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2254329)
Down to my last category really (I have two more films from Demy to watch and I need to finish Foreign Correspondent for my actor category), and trying to decide on a country. I was originally going to do another Fassbinder binge (and thus do 10 German films), but I am wrapping up a 10-film run from Demy and I'm not sure I want to do that immediately again. Then I was going to do Japan, but I realized that's what I did the first time around.

I'm kind of in a thriller/action mood, so maybe I should go with South Korea? Thoughts?
Italy. You can cover Giallo and Polizioteschi films, which I feel are under seen, particularly the latter.
Including myself.

Takoma11 11-17-21 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2254332)
Italy. You can cover Giallo and Polizioteschi films, which I feel are under seen, particularly the latter.
Including myself.
I thought about Italy. But I guess I'm in more of a contemporary mood. I'll keep it in my back pocket, though.

Wyldesyde19 11-17-21 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2254334)
I thought about Italy. But I guess I'm in more of a contemporary mood. I'll keep it in my back pocket, though.
Hmm. There’s always China/Hong Kong. Wuxia and the heroic bloodshed action films that are contemporary.

Takoma11 11-18-21 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2254338)
Hmm. There’s always China/Hong Kong. Wuxia and the heroic bloodshed action films that are contemporary.
I started mapping out some Korean films. I'll see how I feel after one or two. I'm in a weird mood, movie-wise. I sort of want something a bit intense, but in this sweet spot of not being too bleak or sad.

edarsenal 11-18-21 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2254570)
I started mapping out some Korean films. I'll see how I feel after one or two. I'm in a weird mood, movie-wise. I sort of want something a bit intense, but in this sweet spot of not being too bleak or sad.
Korean films do hit that sweet spot but, like anything, it can be tricky.

Takoma11 11-19-21 04:58 PM

I have a vision...
watch 10 films from the same director (Demy)
Les Horizons Morts
Le Sabotier du Val de Loire
Ars
Lola
La Luxure
Bay of Angels
Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Young Girls of Rochefort
Slightly Pregnant Man
Une Chambre en Ville

Another really good batch. Favorites were definitely Le Sabotier du Val de Loire, Bay of Angels, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Young Girls of Rochefort, and Une Chambre en Ville.

A Slightly Pregnant Man was the only one I wouldn't strongly recommend.

Captain Terror 11-22-21 08:04 PM

F. I see dead people:
[Watch one film from each group of deceased directors, actors & cinematographers]
1. Elia Kazan - Panic In The Streets (1950)
2. Akira Kurosawa - Sanshiro Sugata (1943)
3. Yul Brynner - Villa Rides (1968)
4. Janet Leigh - Pete Kelly's Blues (1955)
5. Gordon Willis -The Godfather Part III (1990)

(2 films remaining)

Takoma11 11-24-21 07:21 PM

I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
watch 10 films from the same country (South Korea)
The Housemaid
Beyond All Barriers
Incoherence
Influenza
Hand in Hand
Seoul 1988
The Call
Time to Hunt
Forgotten
The Chase

I'm so close! Just one more film from another category and I'm finished!

From the collection above I really loved The Housemaid and Hand in Hand. I really liked The Call (at least until it botched that ending!) and Forgotten.

Takoma11 11-24-21 10:14 PM

DONE!!

This second time around the track I made room for more shorts and was less concerned about watching "classics" and tried to go with what interested me most. Definitely saw some great stuff!

Regular Mode  

Nightmare Mode  

Captain Terror 11-25-21 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2256005)
DONE!!

This second time around the track I made room for more shorts and was less concerned about watching "classics" and tried to go with what interested me most. Definitely saw some great stuff!

Regular Mode  

Nightmare Mode  
Very impressive feat to finish twice in one year. Congrats.

I also chose Open Hearts for my Dogme. Did you review it somewhere? I haven't watched it yet.

Takoma11 11-25-21 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2256110)
Very impressive feat to finish twice in one year. Congrats.

I also chose Open Hearts for my Dogme. Did you review it somewhere? I haven't watched it yet.
I believe I reviewed it in the "Rate the Last Movie . . . " thread. I think that if you search the film here you can see all of the reviews for it.

Wyldesyde19 12-01-21 03:37 AM

Update 12/1! Rounding the finish line!

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Captain Terror 12-01-21 09:33 AM

I've only got 2 movies left but for some reason I'm dragging my feet about getting to them.

kgaard 12-01-21 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2257866)
I've only got 2 movies left but for some reason I'm dragging my feet about getting to them.
Same. I'm lacking Coming of Age '80s and Dogme 95. I have the movies picked out; I just have to get around to watching them.

By the way, for anyone who cares, I ended up using Angst as my Horror Gore film. It feels like an edge case: most of the film is not gory at all, but the one scene that is (you know it if you've seen it) is extremely gory, so I'm counting it.

Captain Terror 12-01-21 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by kgaard (Post 2257878)
Same. I'm lacking Coming of Age '80s and Dogme 95. I have the movies picked out; I just have to get around to watching them.
Yeah, I've already got 'em picked out too, so it's just a matter of watching them now. And yet last night I found myself watching Army of the Dead, which *checks notes* is neither Polish Film School nor Dogme 95.

Captain Terror 12-04-21 03:48 PM

DONE!

edarsenal 12-04-21 03:57 PM

NICE!!!
CONGRATS Cap!!

I am SOOOOO behind! I've got like 60 films left to go
bad me
https://i.makeagif.com/media/1-07-2015/NWislq.gif

Captain Terror 12-04-21 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2258767)
I am SOOOOO behind! I've got like 60 films left to go
bad me
Tak finished the entire thing in less than a month, so don't give up. You'll have to cancel all holiday plans of course, but what's more important?

edarsenal 12-04-21 04:08 PM

Priorities - god bless 'em!!!

Captain Terror 12-04-21 04:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2258764)
I have a vision...
watch 10 films from the same director
If I may be allowed to toot my own horn, I accomplished this one 14 times this year. :cool:

Takoma11 12-04-21 11:46 PM

Look how disappointed Jankovics is to have just missed the cutoff.

Captain Terror 12-05-21 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2258865)
Look how disappointed Jankovics is to have just missed the cutoff.
I almost watched a 10th but it was 3 hours long. Ain't nobody got time for that, Janks.

Wyldesyde19 12-05-21 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2258780)
If I may be allowed to toot my own horn, I accomplished this one 14 times this year. :cool:

We’re most of these, if not all, watched on Criterion Channel?
I’ve been meaning to subscribe to it for awhile now.

Takoma11 12-05-21 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2258895)
Do it. The collection and rotation of films is excellent.

Captain Terror 12-05-21 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2258895)
No. Most of the Kurosawas and Reinigers and a few Weirs were on CC. All the old B-movie stuff was on Prime or Youtube.

But like Takoma says, it's well worth the cost.

Rockatansky 12-05-21 11:17 AM

Trying to figure out if Kulik or Waggner is most on brand.

Captain Terror 12-05-21 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2258923)
Trying to figure out if Kulik or Waggner is most on brand.
Buzz = Bad Ronald & Crawlspace
Waggner = Wolfman and Batman TV series

It's a tie.

SpelingError 12-05-21 01:32 PM

You've only seen 28 films from Jean Yarbrough? True cinephiles should have watched at least 29 of his films, so this is proof that you're a fraud!

Captain Terror 12-05-21 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2258940)
You've only seen 28 films from Jean Yarbrough? True cinephiles should have watched at least 29 of his films, so this is proof that you're a fraud!
Hey, it's not my fault that The Women of Pitcairn Island is so hard to find!
But the year's not over yet.

kgaard 12-06-21 09:43 AM

One to go! (For the main challenge--as expected, I won't complete Nightmare Mode, though I will get a few of those categories done.)

Wyldesyde19 12-07-21 09:10 PM

Decided not to rush myself, as I have all month to watch the 10remaining films (2 from normal and 8 from Nightmare). All are saved to be watched at my leisure.

Meanwhile, I’m already planning for next years challenge.

Jabs, when will you have it ready, my man?

kgaard 12-08-21 11:50 AM

Done with the main challenge! I may finish one or two more nightmare categories, but I'll consider that a bonus.

For the curious, my final two films were In Your Hands for Dogme 95 and Mystic Pizza for 1980s Coming-of-age film. In Your Hands was a really interesting story about an inexperienced prison priest who has to deal with a new inmate whose seemingly miraculous abilities have implications for her own personal life; Mystic Pizza was fine (and its handling of sexual politics better than a lot of other movies of its time), but I suspect would have been much better had original writer Amy Holden Jones been able to direct it as she had wanted to.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Captain Terror 12-08-21 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by kgaard (Post 2259996)

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times!
watch 10 films released in the same decade
Christine (2016)
Kate Plays Christine (2016)
Interesting. I've seen (and loved) the former but hadn't heard of the latter. Do you recommend it?

kgaard 12-08-21 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2260008)
Interesting. I've seen (and loved) the former but hadn't heard of the latter. Do you recommend it?
I can't recommend it, no. I think it fails at a fundamental level. This is what I wrote at the time. But as I note in that review, I particularly recommend this piece by Miriam Bale talking about both movies. If you don't mind reading up on a movie before watching it, I think it will give you a better idea of if you want to go through with it.

Captain Terror 12-08-21 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by kgaard (Post 2260034)
I can't recommend it, no. I think it fails at a fundamental level. This is what I wrote at the time. But as I note in that review, I particularly recommend this piece by Miriam Bale talking about both movies. If you don't mind reading up on a movie before watching it, I think it will give you a better idea of if you want to go through with it.
Funny, it appears that I upvoted your original review but I must have forgotten. (It's been a long year). I'll check out the article.

kgaard 12-08-21 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2260038)
Funny, it appears that I upvoted your original review but I must have forgotten. (It's been a long year). I'll check out the article.
Yes, yes it has.

Wyldesyde19 12-12-21 01:38 AM

Nearing the finish line on this, and next year I’ll go with what everyone else had done and crowd source favorites, if it’s an option again that is. There were a few that I was really interested in that haven’t had the chance to see yet, mainly Short Term 12.

Jabs, how’s next years challenge looking?

Wyldesyde19 12-15-21 02:13 AM

Update 12/14! Almost done!
Normal mode: 1
Nightmare: 5

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Wyldesyde19 12-19-21 03:41 PM

Update 12/19! Normal mode complete! Now to finish up Nightmare Mode.
Normal mode: finished!
Nightmare: 5

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Wyldesyde19 12-21-21 07:31 PM

If Jabs doesn’t get the next one up, I wonder who among us might be interested in continuing this?

Iroquois 12-29-21 12:48 PM

Well, I finally finished this. Here are my final results...

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Wyldesyde19 12-29-21 01:19 PM

Just have one film left. Will get to it either tonight or tomorrow.
Either way, I wonder if Jabs intends to run this again for next year?

Wyldesyde19 12-30-21 03:46 AM

And done!

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

edarsenal 12-30-21 04:01 PM

My final tally was pretty dismal across the board for my first-time participation.
Though I do very much wish to attempt to finish this in the coming month or so or perhaps find homes for the next movie challenge for the ones listed I did not get to.

Watchlist films
Viewed films
Passed On; 2022 films

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Captain Terror 01-01-22 07:14 PM

Just wanted to acknowledge our host, if I haven't done so already. This was a lot of fun and it forced me to watch some stuff I'd not have considered otherwise.
:up:

kgaard 01-02-22 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2267987)
Just wanted to acknowledge our host, if I haven't done so already. This was a lot of fun and it forced me to watch some stuff I'd not have considered otherwise.
:up:
Same here. Good stuff and I'm looking forward to this year's challenge. In particular I want to note that I watched Kanał and Close-Up just for this and they were a couple of my favorite films from the year.

Takoma11 01-02-22 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by kgaard (Post 2268055)
Same here. Good stuff and I'm looking forward to this year's challenge. In particular I want to note that I watched Kanał and Close-Up just for this and they were a couple of my favorite films from the year.
Same in terms of Kanal and, yeah, it was great!

edarsenal 01-02-22 04:22 PM

FULLY AGREE!!

TO @Jabs!!

https://c.tenor.com/pQxt4ZDjAz8AAAAC/cheers-party.gif

Jabs 01-03-22 02:32 AM

Thank you all for your kind words!
I am happy you appreciate the effort and that the challenge has helped you discover good films that might have otherwise flown under your radar.

Jabs 01-01-23 03:33 AM

It bugged me all through 2022 that I never finished this challenge, so I made up for it.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode