Holiday Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Santa Claus is Comin' to Town
(1970)
Directed by Arthur Rankin Jr and Jules Bass

Story of a baby fosters by the Kringle family and how he became to become Santa Claus.

This story is another Rankin Bass favorite growing up. Its cute and got some good songs.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Santa Claus is Comin' to Town
(1970)
Directed by Arthur Rankin Jr and Jules Bass

Story of a baby fosters by the Kringle family and how he became to become Santa Claus.

This story is another Rankin Bass favorite growing up. Its cute and got some good songs.
Not only a favorite but a fringe tradition at the house. Fringe in meaning that we don't always get to see it every year, but we do try to. And we did get to this year.

Not only a favorite but a fringe tradition at the house. Fringe in meaning that we don't always get to see it every year, but we do try to. And we did get to this year.
Yeah, it was on ABC tonight.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
You made a great choice with Rise of the Guardians. I haven't seen Arthur Christmas. Is it as good as Rise of the Guardians?
I thought it was a nice and innocent Holiday flick. I'd put it up there with Guardians as one of those Holiday movies that no one ever talks about, but is really good.

Thanks for the info. I think Arthur Christmas is playing on either Showtime or Starz this month, so I'll try to watch it.

The Year Without a Santa Claus (1974)
This might not be the best of the Rankin/Bass Productions, but it's one of my favorites, mostly because of the Miser Brothers. They have the best scenes and songs in the movie, and a fun sibling rivalry.

I like the Mrs. Claus in this because it seems like she is the smartest person in the movie. She just seems to know how to fix any problem.

I also liked the scene with Mother Nature. She reminded me of the old Chiffon margarine commercial. ("It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!")

But on the sad side, I felt so bad for poor little Vixen. I almost wanted to cry every time they showed him. He looked so sad.

I like the scene with the little girl singing "Blue Christmas", but I wish they would have introduced her a bit earlier so we would have had more of a connection to her when she was sad. It was hard to feel emotional for her because we didn't really know her yet.

There was a sequel to The Year Without a Santa Claus in 2008 called A Miser Brothers' Christmas, but it's not nearly as good as the original. The only connection to Rankin/Bass is the characters, and it doesn't have the same heartwarming look or feel of the original. They tried to expand on the sibling rivalry, and they even added another sibling, but it just didn't work. The sequel feels like a childish 1970s Saturday Morning Cartoon.

Tonight's review was my last movie for this HoF. This was a fun HoF. There were a lot of great movies. to everyone.

It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, but I ranked the movies and I sent in my list.

I also liked the scene with Mother Nature. She reminded me of the old Chiffon margarine commercial. ("It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!")
I remember that commercial! I use to like it as a kid.

Just Friends

Mike: Yeah I slapped the ham to it about an hour ago.
Chris' Mom: What ham did you slap, honey? Not the one I just bought.

I really enjoy a lot of Reynold Ryan films and he makes me laugh. A lot.
But not so much here. Occasionally and kinda far between.

I did like the three kids at the very end and the final line: "The bestest! Oh, sh#t."
But for the most part, I had a hard time making it through it all, to be absolutely honest.

Not much more to add to that, unfortunately. For that I am sorry.

This might not be the best of the Rankin/Bass Productions, but it's one of my favorites, mostly because of the Miser Brothers. They have the best scenes and songs in the movie, and a fun sibling rivalry.

I like the Mrs. Claus in this because it seems like she is the smartest person in the movie. She just seems to know how to fix any problem.

But on the sad side, I felt so bad for poor little Vixen. I almost wanted to cry every time they showed him. He looked so sad.

I like the scene with the little girl singing "Blue Christmas", but I wish they would have introduced her a bit earlier so we would have had more of a connection to her when she was sad. It was hard to feel emotional for her because we didn't really know her yet.

There was a sequel to The Year Without a Santa Claus in 2008 called A Miser Brothers' Christmas, but it's not nearly as good as the original. The only connection to Rankin/Bass is the characters, and it doesn't have the same heartwarming look or feel of the original. They tried to expand on the sibling rivalry, and they even added another sibling, but it just didn't work. The sequel feels like a childish 1970s Saturday Morning Cartoon.
Did you guys know there was a live action version?

And what a cast: John Goodman as Santa, Delta Burke as Mrs. Claus, Carol Kane as Mother Nature, Harvey Fierstein as Heat Miser, Michael McKean as Snow Miser!

Sadly, I've never seen it except for clips on YouTube.

There aren't any good quality clips, but this one features the memorable songs...

Klaus

Klaus: Ho ho ho!
Jesper: Wait, wait, wait. Time out. Really? THAT'S how you laugh?

Purposely screwing up at Postal Academy, Jesper thinks he'll be sent back home to a cushy, easy life.
Instead, his father, wanting him grow up and be a man, has him sent up north. FAR up north to a dismal little town of warring factions as the new Postman.

Where he cross paths with a woodsman who makes toys

And something new and magical is created.

I was pretty surprised by this lil gem of an origin story. It's amusing. The artwork is quite beautiful and at its heart a very lovely Christmas sentimentality.

Maybe tomorrow I will see if I can find The Bolshoi Ballet version of The Nutcracker and watch it. I have seen it on my firestick but need to investigate more.

Did you guys know there was a live action version?

And what a cast: John Goodman as Santa, Delta Burke as Mrs. Claus, Carol Kane as Mother Nature, Harvey Fierstein as Heat Miser, Michael McKean as Snow Miser!

Sadly, I've never seen it except for clips on YouTube.

I've heard about the live version of The Year Without a Santa Claus, but I've never seen it. It has a great cast, so I'll definitely watch for it.

I finally watched the movie Elf. It was better than I expected, but there was too much Will Ferrell and not enough Bob Newhart. However I didn't know that James Caan was in it. so that was a nice surprise. And I thought that Ed Asner was a strange choice for Santa Claus because he always seems kind of grumpy, but it was still nice seeing him in this.

I finally watched the movie Elf. It was better than I expected, but there was too much Will Ferrell and not enough Bob Newhart. However I didn't know that James Caan was in it. so that was a nice surprise. And I thought that Ed Asner was a strange choice for Santa Claus because he always seems kind of grumpy, but it was still nice seeing him in this.
I almost went with Elf. I like it, then again I like Will Ferrell.

I almost went with Elf. I like it, then again I like Will Ferrell.

I've only seen a handful of Will Ferrell's movies, but I think the only ones that I liked were The Producers (2005), Bewitched (2005), and Everything Must Go (2010). I might add Elf to that list too.

Most of us are already finished and I have 4 voting list in. I wanted to wrap this up by Christmas but Santa has gifted an extension So I'm setting the deadline at December 31st midnight, can everyone make that?

Let me know if this is correct:
Citizen Rules 8/8 list received
Edarsenal 8/8 list received
Gbgoodies 8/8 list received
Wyldesyde19 8/8 list received
MovieGal 8/8
Rauldc14 7/8
TheUsualSuspect 6/8
Thursday Next 5/8

Most of us are already finished and I have 4 voting list in. I wanted to wrap this up by Christmas but Santa has gifted an extension So I'm setting the deadline at December 31st midnight, can everyone make that?

Let me know if this is correct:
Citizen Rules 8/8 list received
Edarsenal 8/8 list received
Gbgoodies 8/8 list received
Wyldesyde19 8/8 list received
MovieGal 8/8
Rauldc14 7/8
TheUsualSuspect 6/8
Thursday Next 5/8

I'm done, so that deadline works for me.