Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Because that's what most 'normal' people do. They don't do 'old', they don't 'do' subtitles (or reading) and they don't do Black & White. Remember, we're the weirdos.

I have a friend who doesn't wanna watch any movies filmed on... film.
No joke.
She says they're just "too grainy".

So, like, I can't even get her to watch The Princess Bride.
What in the world?

So this person would refuse to watch Blade Runner, Black Hawk Down, Gladiator etc?

Those 3 films have such good image quality that most film review sites call the 4K UHDisc versions of them 'reference quality'

Because that's what most 'normal' people do. They don't do 'old', they don't 'do' subtitles (or reading) and they don't do Black & White. Remember, we're the weirdos.
Black and white doesn't have to mean old though.

Black Sunday (1960) -

Barbara Steele does iconic work in dual roles as a resurrected witch, Princess Vajda, and as the ancestor she torments in this prime example of Gothic horror. You're likely not skeptical of anything that's in black and white if you're interested in this subgenre, but let's hope it's never colorized because it's a masterclass in black and white cinematography. The sets - the cemetery and Vajda family castle interiors in particular - also have a lot to do with this for how they exemplify the classic Gothic look and feel. In other words, it's the kind of movie you can imagine being projected on the walls of haunted houses or Gothic night clubs. Oh, and did I mention how good Barbara Steele is in this? Not only is she convincing as our seductive yet terrifying villain, but Steele also goes all in with her portrayal of sweet, rightfully despondent and in short much different in personality descendant Katia. It's not just about the scary stuff, though: the movie is also very much a classic Gothic love story thanks to the chemistry Steele shares with John Richardson's accidental hero, Dr. Gorobec. While the movie makes the most of its obviously low budget, the seams show here and there, most notably in a scene with an (obviously) fake bat. It's classic status still stands; not to mention, it's a must-see for Hammer fans since it has the same self-contained and lean, but not light qualities of that studio's best output.

What? Why not? Why would you dictate what films you watch by going only on what colours are on the screen?

Eh, I was that way once. He's still young and I'm working on him. He loved The Lighthouse so I'm thinking it's more the year than just b&w. He gets frumpy when I pick a movie before 1990 but he's coming around on them.

Eh, I was that way once. He's still young and I'm working on him. He loved The Lighthouse so I'm thinking it's more the year than just b&w. He gets frumpy when I pick a movie before 1990 but he's coming around on them.
Keep at it.

I told him he'd probably be better off watching A Virgin Spring first. Hoping that one piques his interest in foreign films.
LOL. Most likely will put him off foreign films for life.

Don’t consider myself weird & I do all of the above.

Been on a rewatch kick since the boy has moved back waiting for his apartment to become available. His taste in movies and mine are miles apart. He likes love stories and silly comedies and I don't. Growing up he hated horror movies but my house, my rules. He won't watch b&w or foreign films....yet. I'm working on it. Knowing that we've watched:
The Return of the Living Dead
Hereditary
Martyrs
Event Horizon
Dead Alive
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Night of Something Strange
Heathers
When Harry Met Sally
and
Three Men and a Baby

I have fun watching him get uneasy at some of them, especially Dead Alive and Night of Something Strange, which are obviously gore-fest comedies. So far he has liked them all. Moon, Mystic River and Frailty are next up. Last House on the Left is one he wants to see (just because of its rep) but I told him he'd probably be better off watching A Virgin Spring first. Hoping that one piques his interest in foreign films.
I'm a horror fan and even I thought Last House on the Left was pretty bad. If you can get him to see Virgin Spring, that's definitely a max improvement.

Don’t consider myself weird & I do all of the above.
Not considering yourself weird and not being weird are two different things. Just try to remember that most people don't know or care who directed a film. They want big sparkly thing go bang.

Black and white doesn't have to mean old though.
Nor does subtitles, but that's not the point.

Why do so many of us not enjoy the cinema experience (as much as we used to)? Because we're there to watch the film. Not watch the film and.... Just watch the film. Personally, I wouldn't allow food in there, but that's where they make their money so that's the way it's gotta be.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Not considering yourself weird and not being weird are two different things. Just try to remember that most people don't know or care who directed a film. They want big sparkly thing go bang.

Nor does subtitles, but that's not the point.

Why do so many of us not enjoy the cinema experience (as much as we used to)? Because we're there to watch the film. Not watch the film and.... Just watch the film. Personally, I wouldn't allow food in there, but that's where they make their money so that's the way it's gotta be.
Hold on, you don't snack when you watch a film?

weirdo

Romeo and Juliet (1936)
+++

Director: George Cukor
Romeo: Leslie Howard Juliet: Norma Shearer
Mercutio: John Barrymore Tybalt: Basil Rathbone

Just on that alone made this a MustSee! for me.
Along with them, adding to the enjoyment of this film, was C. Aubrey Smith as Juliet's father, Capulet. As well as two entertaining surprises, a twenty-something Andy Devine as a Capulet man (the one accused of biting his thumb at some Montagues in the Opening) and played with a delightful fire, Juliet's Nurse by Edna May Oliver.

The standout here, for me, was Norma Shearer. She was utterly effin enchanting as Juliet. The scene at the masked ball when they first see each other and she "forgets" about her dance partner got me completely hooked.

Yes, yes, I know Howard (43) and Shearer (36) were WAAAAY too old to play star-crossed teenagers, and for the longest time, it kept me from seeing this version. But, I gotta tell ya - They nailed it.

My only minor disappointment was expecting a genuinely intense swordfight between Barrymore and Rathbone, but with Barrymore very very drunk, very very much of the time, I guess they couldn't pull off too many wide shots of the two men fighting, so there was a lot of one-sided shots of each combatant. Done very f@ckin well, I must admit. And Howard's and Rathbone right after was even better still.
Not on the level of Rathbone and Flynn's epic fight in Robin Hood,

But still, both Rathbone and Barrymore were ideal in their roles. Giving proper gravitas and whimsical perspectively.

Quite the production and definitely worthy of the echelon of Great reproductions of this Shakespeare Classic of two kids from warring families who fall head over heels, so hard, so fast, only to -- well, you know how it ends. (And shame on you if ya don't)

Red Notice (2021) How is it that in a film with Dwayne Johnson, Ryan Reynolds,and Gal Gadot, the best performance is by Ed Sheeran? This is bland, predictable, and generic. Even worse, it isn't entertaining or fun. Poorly written, underdeveloped characters and mediocre action, Red Notice is one of the worst films of the year.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

It is weird to watch "American" movies made for a foreign audience. This film is made for a hybrid audience (this is the future, as evidenced by the NBA). The sweet spot for profits is that film that rests on a saddle between these to groups, although this one leans more in the direction of a Chinese audience. The film criticize bad-dad
WARNING: "YOU MUST GO IN - SPOIL YOURSELF - YOU'RE WORTH IT" spoilers below
for not recognizing the return of his daughter along with the son, but the son is the one who inherits the ten rings. So... ...kinda progressive? Super progressive for China?

The CGI is good. It is amazing that they picked a funny female side-kick who is physically "dumpy." The actress is funny and has screen presence, but she is no K-Pop model. It's nice to see someone who looks more like a mere mortal on screen.

The story is vacuous. Call to adventure, baby-talk mythology, solve problem with violence, blah, blah. No amount of CGI cover over the by-the-number plotting, but there are some nice action scenes and it is nice to look at.

Will I be rushing to rewatch it? No. Was it "OK"? Sure. Is this the new bar for Marvel?

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

It is weird to watch "American" movies made for a foreign audience. This film is made for a hybrid audience (this is the future, as evidenced by the NBA). The sweet spot for profits is that film that rests on a saddle between these to groups, although this one leans more in the direction of a Chinese audience. The film criticize bad-dad
WARNING: "YOU MUST GO IN - SPOIL YOURSELF - YOU'RE WORTH IT" spoilers below
for not recognizing the return of his daughter along with the son, but the son is the one who inherits the ten rings. So... ...kinda progressive? Super progressive for China?

The CGI is good. It is amazing that they picked a funny female side-kick who is physically "dumpy." The actress is funny and has screen presence, but she is no K-Pop model. It's nice to see someone who looks more like a mere mortal on screen.

The story is vacuous. Call to adventure, baby-talk mythology, solve problem with violence, blah, blah. No amount of CGI cover over the by-the-number plotting, but there are some nice action scenes and it is nice to look at.

Will I be rushing to rewatch it? No. Was it "OK"? Sure. Is this the new bar for Marvel?
I have no interest in watching this, but it is nice to see Tony Leung get some of that sweet, sweet blockbuster money.

You Can't Get Away With Murder (1939)
+

This unknown gem was a surprise Double-Feature for me when it popped up after Romeo and Juliet, and without looking it up or researching it, I simply ran with it, knowing nothing of the plot as I experienced it.

It seems the Studio rather liked hooking up Bogart with the Dead End Kids since this one had him with the leader of the gang, Billy Holap as a somewhat good kid, Johnny, who prefers to hang out with gangster Frank Wilson (Humphry Bogart). Regardless of how his older sister (Gale Page) and her engaged beau, a Security guard (Harvey Stevens) worry and fret.

Sh#t goes sideways after Johnny steals Stevens' gun and goes on a crime spree with Wilson. First, robbing a gas station, and then a jewelry store where the owner, an old man, is killed by Bogart and leaves the gun behind to frame Stevens.
All of this occurs in the first third of the movie. Including the two of them arrested for the gas station, and Stevens is sent to Death Row for murder.
The next two-thirds of the film goes down in Sing-Sing prison in New York. And Holap's character is torn between his loyalty (and fear) for Bogart as the Day of Execution draws closer.
A bonus to this movie is Henry Travers as Pops. Playing a more rough around the edges "Clarence" as he would in '46 in It's a Wonderful Life. Playing the angel on Holap's Johnny's shoulder.

Another aspect that I could not confirm was the similarities between this film and a few character points in Shawshank Redemption. With a kind old man running the library, and there's even a character named Red
WARNING: "who," spoilers below
on the morning of his Release is denied Parole. The source of Morgan Freeman's nickname Red for the red stamp used when denying Parole.

They are distant points, but I couldn't help but feel there may have been some inspiration or a minor tip of the hat by the author to a possible old-time favorite crime film.

And quite a crime film it is.

The cinematographer Sol Polito, who did countless films such as Now, Voyager, I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang, 42nd Street, The Charge of the Light Brigade, to name a small few, several times, truly stood out in this film. There is a scene in prison with a fistfight with prison guards done with shadows on the floor that included the prison bars. I was very impressed with the creativity of hiding the violence while still invoking the danger of it. It played out brilliantly. Understanding how well used "shadow play" is used as a device, it was STILL a well-used and clever device, all the same.

While the opening setup of the two lovers making plans for a future felt a bit sappy, it set the framework for this very intense, dark crime film packed with dangerous, untrustworthy characters and the emotionally distraught conflict that tears and gnaws at young Johnny.

Five Steps to Danger - This is from 1956 and it starts out as a promising enough noir. I mean, just take a gander at that poster above.

"First she lured him into her car ... Then she let him taste her lips ... and then ... THE TERROR BEGAN!" What's not to like?
The CIA gets involved as well as the FBI but the focus remains on the characters played by Hayden and Roman and they're enough to keep the audience invested. Hayden is money in the bank as far as I'm concerned and Roman performs admirably.
80/100
I don't believe I've seen this one! IMO Ruth Roman is a perfect noir actress. She's not only a dish, but has a wider range than she's sometimes given credit for. Hayden? What can you say. He was a goofy SOB, but he made some great pictures.

SF = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.impawards.com/2006/v_for_vendetta_ver2.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2132679

V For Vendetta - (2005)

I was wondering if I'd feel any different towards this film if I watched it again - I mean, it's cracking the top 200 on the IMDb, so it must be doing something right. A bit of a repudiation to how the world was back in '05 - with fascism on the rise. I remember much gnashing of teeth over blowing things up (that's only what the bad guys were meant to be doing.) I never read the graphic novel, but I'm not sure if that helps or hinders my appreciation of V For Vendetta. Hero, revolutionary and freedom fighter V dances and prances around reciting poetry, but his accidental side-kick Evey (Natalie Portman) is our more natural window into his world. I don't mind films like this and Watchmen (which I have read) but never managed to really love them.

7/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6337743

Land of the Blind - (2006)

Another political satire - an extremely farcical one that lampoons both the left and right extremes in a fictional land of revolutions and coups. A little too direct for some, but I think it's extremely funny and captures just how similar both sides are. Ralph Fiennes and Donald Sutherland are excellent - as is the goofy and humorous script - something you'd expect from a Terry Gilliam during his Brazil days. Takes place in a fictional land where a Kim Jong-un-like dictator (the simple-minded filmmaker son of the previous dictator) imprisons a leftist revolutionary (Donald Sutherland) who begins to influence one of the guards (Ralph Fiennes.) The scene is set for the revolution - but what will life be like if the wise and kindly man becomes the nation's leader? From history we know only too well... (this film doesn't have many fans - but I'm one now)

8/10

By May be found at the following website: http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/19f3fd1e, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=28785256

Catfish - (2010)

New filmmakers Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman got extremely lucky in how this documentary developed and panned out - fascinating and something you can't stop watching - but I can't say anything about it lest I ruin the surprise for first-time watchers. Enjoyed it a lot the second time around, even knowing what happens along the way.

WARNING: spoilers below
The title itself is a kind of spoiler I guess - it's become part of our language itself. Not to mention the television series spin-off.

7.5/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=12473657

Sweeney Todd : The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - (2007)

Squeezed in this horror/musical - who knows, it might feature in the 2000s countdown. Hadn't seen it before, and was surprised that the whimsical Burton went full on horror here. The running time flew by, so I was surprisingly entertained by a film I never went anywhere near until now. The musical sequences aren't bad, and Alan Rickman along with Timothy Spall are always welcome. Caps off some Oscar nominations and wins from the 2008 award ceremony that I nearly have full coverage of.

7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

'Shock Corridor' (1963)

A fine Samuel Fuller film. Journalist attempts to win the pullitzer prize by entering a mental hospital pretending to be a patient in the effort to solve a murder then writing an article about it. What I like was that the plot has an air of predictability about it, but Fuller is still able to weave subplots in and out to make it interesting and not a foregone conclusion.

7.7/10

The intersection of style and content in this film is, to me, top tier.