Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   22nd Hall of Fame (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=61399)

rauldc14 04-26-20 03:51 PM

22nd Hall of Fame

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...pe=image%2Fpng

Here we are again my friends! Time for our 22nd Hall of Fame! Time to add another great winner to our Hall of Fame entrants! I hope we get a nice interesting mix again, seems like we always do. Happy watching!

Rules will remain what they have been. Here they are as a brief reminder:
Movie Nominations: Any movie under 240 minutes can be nominated, except for previous HoF winners.

PM me your nominations and include: film title & year of release. Keep your nomination a secret until the reveal of the films.

Open Door Policy: For one week after the reveal of the movie nominations, I will be taking new members.

Length of HoF: There will be approximately one week of viewing time per movie, so if there are 10 movie nominations the HoF will be about 10 weeks long. The deadline to finish will be posted after the HoF starts.

During the HoF: Everyone watches the nominated movies and will discuss them in this thread. You need to write at least a few sentences about your thoughts on each movie, after you watch it. Part of the process is discussion of the movies as a group.

Note: If you've seen a movie recently or have seen it many times you can skip watching it, otherwise you have to watch all nominated movies.

Requesting help to locate movies: If you have trouble locating a movie make a post and ask for help. When responding with a movie link send it by private message, don't post links or embed films in this thread.

Dropouts: Members who don't finish will be disqualified and their movie nomination removed from the HoF. Please make sure you have the time to complete this, it helps to start watching the films right away so you don't have a bunch of movies to watch at the end.If for any reason you do need to drop out, absolutely let me know you can't finish.

New HoF Members: New HoF members will need to post their movie write ups on a regular basis. 1 write up in the first 2 weeks, and 3 in the first month and so on. That way we know your keeping up. If you're going to be absent from watching movies for a period PM me and let me know, otherwise I might think you've dropped out.

rauldc14 04-26-20 03:51 PM

Re: 22nd Hall of Fame

Ahwell- Nomination Received
Siddon- Nomination Received
Neiba- Nomination Received
Citizen Rules- Nomination Received
Rauldc14- Nomination Received
Edarsenal- Nomination Received
Miss Vicky- nomination received
CosmicRunaway- nomination received
Thursday Next- Nomination Received
MovieMeditation- Nomination Received

Mildred Pierce (1945, Directed by Michael Curtiz)
Nominated by Citizen Rules
https://jojud265nia2bj9sy4ah9b61-wpe...-c-default.jpg

The Last Picture Show (1971, Directed by Peter Bogdanovich)
Nominated by Rauldc14
https://830936.smushcdn.com/1677424/...strip=1&webp=1

State of Siege (1972, Directed by Costa-Gavras)
Nominated by Siddon
https://awculture.files.wordpress.co...ot-2.png?w=604

Waco: The Rules of Engagement (1997)
Nominated by Wyldesyde19
https://img.thedailybeast.com/image/...co-hero_ftg5xg

Shine (1996, Directed by Scott Hicks)
Nominated by Edarsenal
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/9b/90/ed/9...021606f150.jpg

The Matrix (1999, Directed by the Wachowskis)
Nominated by Thursday Next
https://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/file...trix-keanu.jpg

Inglorious Basterds (2009, Directed by Quentin Tarantino)
Nominated by Ahwell
https://www.denofgeek.com/wp-content...fit=1200%2C675

Blue Ruin (2014, Directed by Jeremy Saulnier)
Nominated by Cosmic Runaway
https://lamovieboeuf.files.wordpress...2014.jpg?w=810

I, Daniel Blake (2016, Directed by Ken Loach)
Nominated by Neiba
https://cdn.theatlantic.com/thumbor/...e/original.jpg

Dronningen (2019, Directed by May El-Toukhy)
Nominated by MovieMeditation
https://www.ekkofilm.dk/media/dyn/re...6_1200x630.jpg

Joker (2019, Directed by Todd Phillips)
Nominated by Miss Vicky
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/lwwW...858/joker2.jpg

rauldc14 04-26-20 03:52 PM

Reviews

Cosmic Runaway 11/11 LIST RECEIVED
Blue Ruin
Mildred Pierce
Shine
The Matrix
The Last Picture Show
State of Siege
Inglorious Basterds
Dronningen
Waco: The Rules of Engagement
I, Daniel Blake
Joker

Neiba 10/11
I, Daniel Blake
Inglorious Basterds
The Matrix
Mildred Pierce
The Last Picture Show
Blue Ruin
State of Siege
Shine
Dronningen

Ahwell 11/11 LIST RECEIVED
Inglorious Basterds
The Matrix
Joker
Dronningen
State of Siege
I, Daniel Blake
Blue Ruin
Shine
The Last Picture Show
Mildred Pierce

Rauldc14 11/11 LIST RECEIVED
The Matrix
Blue Ruin
The Last Picture Show
Dronningen
State of Siege
Shine
Mildred Pierce
Inglorious Basterds
I, Daniel Blake
Joker

MovieMeditation 11/11 LIST RECEIVED
I, Daniel Blake
Shine
Inglorious Basterds
The Last Picture Show
Blue Ruin
Mildred Pierce
Joker
Dronningen
The Matrix
State of Siege

Edarsenal 8/11
The Matrix
Shine
Inglorious Basterds
Mildred Pierce
Blue Ruin
I, Daniel Blake
State of Siege

Miss Vicky 11/11 LIST RECEIVED
The Matrix
Blue Ruin
The Last Picture Show
Dronningen
State of Siege
Shine
Mildred Pierce
I, Daniel Blake
Inglorious Basterds
Joker

Citizen Rules 11/11 LIST RECEIVED
The Matrix
Joker
Blue Ruin
I, Daniel Blake
The Last Picture Show
Mildred Pierce
Shine
Dronningen
State of Siege
Inglorious Basterds

Thursday Next 11/11
State of Siege
The Matrix
Blue Ruin
The Last Picture Show
Shine
Inglorious Basterds
I, Daniel Blake
Dronningen
Joker
Mildred Pierce

Wyldesyde19 7/11
The Matrix
Inglorious Basterds
The Last Picture Show
Joker
Shine
Blue Ruin
I, Daniel Blake

Siddon 11/11 LIST RECEIVED
I, Daniel Blake
Joker
The Matrix
Inglorious Basterds
Mildred Pierce
The Last Picture Show
Shine
Dronningen
Blue Ruin
State of Siege

Citizen Rules 04-26-20 04:24 PM

In...of course! I'll think and think and think about my nom before I finally get tired of thinking and just go with one:p

neiba 04-26-20 04:40 PM

Gonna finish the western HoF in the next 3/4 days, and the Personal Recomendations in the week or 2 after, so this will be alright! In!

Citizen Rules 04-26-20 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by neiba (Post 2086006)
Gonna finish the western HoF in the next 3/4 days, and the Personal Recomendations in the week or 2 after, so this will be alright! In!
Hope you haven't forgotten about the Noir Hof, the deadline is June 1st. So far you haven't reviewed any of the nominations.

neiba 04-26-20 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2086017)
Hope you haven't forgotten about the Noir Hof, the deadline is June 1st. So far you haven't reviewed any of the nominations.
I know! :) That's under control as well! :) Will review my first one tomorrow!

ahwell 04-26-20 07:21 PM

Nom sent!

Wyldesyde19 04-26-20 09:14 PM

I might have to sit this one out due to work, guys. 🙁

rauldc14 04-26-20 09:22 PM

4 noms already! Thanks guys!

Wyldesyde19 04-26-20 10:21 PM

Taking a wait and see approach here. I’m still working a lot at work, but that may be coming to an end soon.
I’ve just been too exhausted to watch movies lately. Which sucks 😫

Citizen Rules 04-26-20 11:03 PM

Yahoo! I sent my nom in and I just checked and no one so far on this thread has watched it before. This should be fun:)

pahaK 04-27-20 01:35 AM

I'll probably wait for the reveal before making my mind.

John-Connor 04-27-20 04:13 AM

Trying to avoid repeat viewings, so I'll wait for the reveal as well.

Citizen Rules 04-27-20 01:12 PM

Can anyone else see the photo on the 1st post? I can't.

ahwell 04-27-20 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2086167)
Can anyone else see the photo on the 1st post? I can't.
i can see it!

ahwell 04-27-20 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2086102)
Trying to avoid repeat viewings, so I'll wait for the reveal as well.
you (and in fact everyone) have seen my nom but LB shows that you gave it a 4.5 so at least it would be a fun watch:p

which brings up the question why I'm even nominating something everyone has watched... well I looked through and I don't think I could nominate something no one has seen yet, most of my options are very very well known at the moment and I love this movie to death so I just picked it.

Citizen Rules 04-27-20 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2086173)
i can see it!
That's so weird. I seen the photo on the 1st post yesterday, but today it just a small place holder.

Can anyone else see it?

Citizen Rules 04-27-20 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2086174)
you (and in fact everyone) have seen my nom but LB shows that you gave it a 4.5 so at least it would be a fun watch:p

which brings up the question why I'm even nominating something everyone has watched... well I looked through and I don't think I could nominate something no one has seen yet, most of my options are very very well known at the moment and I love this movie to death so I just picked it.
That's been a long time debate in HoFs. Some prefer nominations to be unique & underseen. Others think an HoF should be about nominating the best of the best.

To me what's cool about a general HoF is the diversity, as we get a good mixture. This time I picked a well known, but underseen classic film. So far no one has seen it, that's posted on the thread.

CosmicRunaway 04-27-20 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2086175)
Can anyone else see it?
I saw it yesterday and can still see it today. Maybe try clearing your cache? That usually sorts out little weird issues like that.

Citizen Rules 04-27-20 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2086255)
I saw it yesterday and can still see it today. Maybe try clearing your cache? That usually sorts out little weird issues like that.
Thanks, I did try that. I have Firefox set to clear all cache, history and cookies upon shut down. I also just tried a different browser, Chromium and it didn't show me the photo either. It's so weird!

It must be my internet provider service or my DNS lookup? This is what I get when I right click on the image and select 'view image'.

CosmicRunaway 04-27-20 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2086262)
It must be my internet provider service or my DNS lookup?
Actually, now the image isn't showing up for me either. Perhaps it was still stored in my cache, and that's why I could see it earlier. I get the same screen when trying to view image as well.

rauldc14 04-27-20 04:45 PM

Changed it out

edarsenal 04-28-20 03:58 PM

I'm in!! I am number five
raul was kind enough to alert me in pm - again, thanks raul!! Didn't even notice this popping up :rolleyes::o

I went with one I haven't seen since it came out and loved as well as it is the first time for and actor, who has become a very strong favorite of mine. NO idea how many folks have or have not seen it

rauldc14 04-28-20 04:01 PM

I got Citizens nom too so we have 6. It's looking like an interesting one like always!

Miss Vicky 04-28-20 05:49 PM

In and nom sent.

It's a well-known movie so I'm sure some of you will have already seen it. It's also pretty polarizing so I expect to see some hate for it.

Citizen Rules 04-28-20 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2086544)
In and nom sent.

It's a well-known movie so I'm sure some of you will have already seen it. It's also pretty polarizing so I expect to see some hate for it.
Maybe it will be what I hope it is, cause I'd really like to rewatch that one. Well, I guess I'll just have to wait for the reveal.

You haven't seen mine, but Ed has. So far he's the only one that's seen it (according to the MoFo List)

Miss Vicky 04-28-20 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2086548)
Maybe it will be what I hope it is, cause I'd really like to rewatch that one. Well, I guess I'll just have to wait for the reveal.

You haven't seen mine, but Ed has. So far he's the only one that's seen it (according to the MoFo List)
I didn't check to see who has or hasn't seen my nom, but I don't think you've seen it yet.

Citizen Rules 04-28-20 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2086549)
I didn't check to see who has or hasn't seen my nom, but I don't think you've seen it yet.
Ah, then it wasn't the movie I was thinking about, as that one isn't on any MoFo list. I'm interested in seeing what it is, I don't have a clue though what it might be...maybe it has Phoenix?

Miss Vicky 04-28-20 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2086554)
Ah, then it wasn't the movie I was thinking about, as that one isn't on any MoFo list. I'm interested in seeing what it is, I don't have a clue though what it might be...maybe it has Phoenix?
My nomination isn't on any MoFo list, either. It may or may not have Phoenix. You'll have to see when the noms are revealed.

Citizen Rules 04-28-20 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2086555)
My nomination isn't on any MoFo list, either. It may or may not have Phoenix. You'll have to see when the noms are revealed.
Maybe it is what I'm thinking.

rauldc14 04-28-20 07:42 PM

Miss Vicky brings us to 7. Whoop!

MovieMeditation 04-28-20 07:55 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/xUx5QDxK2zoYg/giphy.gif

ahwell 04-28-20 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 2086570)
You joining??

ahwell 04-28-20 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2086554)
It must be her favorite movie, Mary Magdelene.

rauldc14 04-28-20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 2086570)
Join my friend! You must!

Citizen Rules 04-28-20 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2086573)
It must be her favorite movie, Mary Magdelene.
I like to see that one!

Miss Vicky 04-29-20 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2086606)
I like to see that one!
Why? I suffered through it because of Phoenix, but trust me I suffered. What makes you want to watch it?

Anyway, I had a look around and it seems mine will be a rewatch for most of the people who have signed up so far. Maybe even all. There are a couple people I’m not sure about, though. Either way I’m looking forward to reading people’s thoughts on it.

rauldc14 04-29-20 11:53 AM

MovieMed has returned to join us! Exciting! We have 8!

ahwell 04-29-20 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2086684)
That's great! Can't wait to watch Alita: Battle Angel.

MovieMeditation 04-29-20 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2086689)
That's great! Can't wait to watch Alita: Battle Angel.
:laugh:

Citizen Rules 04-29-20 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2086632)
Why? I suffered through it because of Phoenix, but trust me I suffered. What makes you want to watch it?
I thought Mary Magdalene (2018) looked interesting when you posted about it in your Joaquin Phoenix movie rating thread. I don't think I've seen a movie about Mary Magdalene before and it seems like an interesting subject.I also usually like movies that have a woman as the lead character. I see it's rated pretty low however, only 5.5, so if I ever do see it I might not end up liking it.

Citizen Rules 04-29-20 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2086684)
Glad to have you back MM!

rauldc14 04-30-20 02:28 AM

And I'm hoping to get Cosmic in this yet!

CosmicRunaway 04-30-20 06:11 AM

I don't think I've been in a General HoF since the 17th, so I'm definitely long overdue for joining one haha.

I did watch a potential nomination yesterday, but wasn't really feeling it. Luckily I'm finished with the Noir HoF and Film Awards, so I've got some time to dedicate to searching for a film for this now.

pahaK 04-30-20 06:25 AM

In case the nominations don't appall me, I've also been trying to figure a potential nom for myself. Oddly most of the candidates feel like they'd cause a ruckus, again :D

rauldc14 04-30-20 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2087020)
In case the nominations don't appall me, I've also been trying to figure a potential nom for myself. Oddly most of the candidates feel like they'd cause a ruckus, again :D
You haven't seen my nom according to your lists if they are updated.

rauldc14 04-30-20 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2087018)
I don't think I've been in a General HoF since the 17th, so I'm definitely long overdue for joining one haha.

I did watch a potential nomination yesterday, but wasn't really feeling it. Luckily I'm finished with the Noir HoF and Film Awards, so I've got some time to dedicate to searching for a film for this now.
And you haven't seen my nom either if your lists are accurate so join! :)

CosmicRunaway 04-30-20 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2087030)
And you haven't seen my nom either if your lists are accurate so join! :)
They're probably 85% or more accurate. I keep meaning to thoroughly go through them, but ultimately end up getting tired of looking up all the titles (I am pretty horrible with remembering names), and give up. Maybe one day I'll get through them all haha.

Regarding what you mentioned in your post comment: I was honestly thinking the same thing. It would definitely be a rewatch for everyone, but I doubt anyone would need to watch it again explicitly for this HoF if they didn't want to. If I can't think of anything, I'll probably go with that, or another very similar film.

ahwell 04-30-20 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2087054)
They're probably 85% or more accurate. I keep meaning to thoroughly go through them, but ultimately end up getting tired of looking up all the titles (I am pretty horrible with remembering names), and give up. Maybe one day I'll get through them all haha.

Regarding what you mentioned in your post comment: I was honestly thinking the same thing. It would definitely be a rewatch for everyone, but I doubt anyone would need to watch it again explicitly for this HoF if they didn't want to. If I can't think of anything, I'll probably go with that, or another very similar film.
Definitely hoping you join, I always love your detailed writeups! And you always bring a cool nom to the table.

CosmicRunaway 04-30-20 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2087061)
And you always bring a cool nom to the table.
Well, get ready to be disappointed by whatever I pick haha. :cool:

Miss Vicky 04-30-20 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2087065)
Well, get ready to be disappointed by whatever I pick haha. :cool:
Glad to see you're joining.

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...aqapproves.gif

Citizen Rules 04-30-20 12:23 PM

Glad to see Cosmic join in our merry band of HoF members:) So that's eight members, that's a decent number and hopefully we'll pick up a couple more.

ahwell 04-30-20 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2087090)
Glad to see Cosmic join in our merry band of HoF members:) So that's eight members, that's a decent number and hopefully we'll pick up a couple more.
Nine since MM joined too :)

Citizen Rules 04-30-20 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2087098)
Nine since MM joined too :)
Ha, too early in the morning for me to count, ha.....Good to have MM too!

CosmicRunaway 04-30-20 03:38 PM

I might do something a little weird, and nominate a film that I was actually a little disappointed by when I first saw it, but upon further reflection, have come to like a lot more.

I'd prefer to rewatch it first, but if Raul wants to get this HoF started soon, I can just go with it and hope for the best. It's not on any of the lists, so it's hard to judge who has already seen it. I'd creep through everyone's post histories, but the keywords in the title are a bit too generic for that haha.

rauldc14 04-30-20 09:15 PM

I don't plan an unveil until Sunday, so I guess it depends if you would get to it before that

CosmicRunaway 05-01-20 06:40 AM

I managed to watch it last night. I don't think it's going to be a popular nomination, but I want to see what everyone else has to say about it.

ahwell 05-01-20 11:41 AM

Hoping we can get a tenth!!:shifty:

rauldc14 05-01-20 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2087347)
Hoping we can get a tenth!!:shifty:
I second this. But it just might be Pahak.

There's one trend with this Hall of Fame so far so it will be interesting to see how it shapes up.

edarsenal 05-01-20 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway (Post 2087296)
I managed to watch it last night. I don't think it's going to be a popular nomination, but I want to see what everyone else has to say about it.
paint me intrigued

Thursday Next 05-01-20 02:06 PM

OK, I'm in.

Edit: nomination sent :)

Citizen Rules 05-01-20 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2087412)
OK, I'm in.

Edit: nomination sent :)
:up: Good to have you back.

Siddon 05-01-20 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2087348)
I second this. But it just might be Pahak.

There's one trend with this Hall of Fame so far so it will be interesting to see how it shapes up.

Alright we got 10 time for the reveal

MovieMeditation 05-01-20 03:02 PM

I’m very excited about this. A lot of familiar friendly faces in this HoF! Just like good ol’ times. Should be super fun.

As always I try to pick something that definitely isn’t the obvious choice, so once again I went very much off the radar so I’d be surprised if anybody have seen it. Some may have heard of it though.

ahwell 05-01-20 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Siddon (Post 2087432)
Alright we got 10 time for the reveal
Lol you really trying to move this along. I think Raul said he would Sunday, and 11-12 wouldn’t hurt either!

CosmicRunaway 05-01-20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2087348)
This is intriguing.

Did we unintentionally make this a specialty HoF by nominating films from the same genre or decade? haha

Citizen Rules 05-01-20 03:49 PM

Yup, they're all westerns this time:D

Thursday Next 05-01-20 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 2087451)
As always I try to pick something that definitely isn’t the obvious choice, so once again I went very much off the radar so I’d be surprised if anybody have seen it. Some may have heard of it though.
I went in the opposite direction and picked a very well known film... but I don't think it has been nominated in any hall of fame before.

rauldc14 05-02-20 11:27 AM

So it will be a night unveil, I'm thinking around 7:30-8PM central.

10 films for us right now!

Miss Vicky 05-02-20 12:46 PM

Looking forward to the reveal tomorrow.

I'll probably be getting kind of a late start on watching for this, though. I'm still trying to cram for the Westerns countdown.

ahwell 05-03-20 10:18 PM

Just rewatched my nom and loved it just as much!

Miss Vicky 05-03-20 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2087669)
So it will be a night unveil, I'm thinking around 7:30-8PM central.

10 films for us right now!
Impatiently waiting...

Siddon 05-03-20 10:30 PM

Yeah whats the story with this...Netflix is going to pick my new DVD's in a couple hours. I really don't want to lose a week especially if I end up having to go to work next week.

rauldc14 05-03-20 10:33 PM

Here now!

ahwell 05-03-20 10:35 PM

Yay! Looking forward to the noms!! :)

rauldc14 05-03-20 10:43 PM

Nominated by Rauldc14

Nominated by Siddon

Nominated by Edarsenal

Nominated by Ahwell

Nominated by Neiba

Nominated by Miss Vicky

rauldc14 05-03-20 10:44 PM

Pictures will be updated by I wanted to post the noms since I was already late. Went for a longer walk than I anticipated

Miss Vicky 05-03-20 10:52 PM

I don't know that I've ever even heard of this movie. The fact that it's from the 40s doesn't make me very optimistic.

Nominated by Rauldc14

I think I meant to watch this for the 70s countdown but never got to it. No idea what to expect.

Nominated by Siddon

I don't think I've ever heard of this one. No clue what to expect.

Nominated by Edarsenal

Despite the fact that I used to own this on VHS, I've never seen it. I like Geoffrey Rush a lot though so I'm hoping to like it.

I didn't like this movie 21 years ago and I doubt I'm going to like it now.

Inglourious Basterds (2009, Directed by Quentin Tarantino)
Nominated by Ahwell

I LOVE this movie! So violent, so funny!

I don't think I've even heard of this.

Nominated by Neiba

No clue what I'm going to think of this.

Not a clue what I'm going to think.

Nominated by Miss Vicky

Obviously I love this. I know @ahwell is gonna be thrilled to see it again! ;)

Wyldesyde19 05-03-20 10:53 PM

I’ll be staying out of this one guys. I’ve already seen most of these. I’ll be ready to join the next one for sure.

rauldc14 05-03-20 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2088176)
I’ll be staying out of this one guys. I’ve already seen most of these. I’ll be ready to join the next one for sure.
I know I've said this a million times. But that's going to happen. It's called a Hall of Fame for a reason...

ahwell 05-03-20 10:55 PM

Really cool noms! I’ve seen three of these:

Inglourious Basterds, my own nom, as I said just rewatched this and loved it.

The Matrix - fantastic movie, will rank highly for me.

Joker - Didn’t like it at all, which was too bad since I wanted to.

I’m not sure if I’ll rewatch Matrix and Joker since I saw both of these fairly recently (Joker Jan 15 and The Matrix Dec 12)... but depending on how tough I find them to rank with the other films I may rewatch.

ahwell 05-03-20 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2088175)

I don't know that I've ever even heard of this movie. The fact that it's from the 40s doesn't make me very optimistic.

Nominated by Rauldc14

I think I meant to watch this for the 70s countdown but never got to it. No idea what to expect.

Nominated by Siddon

I don't think I've ever heard of this one. No clue what to expect.

Nominated by Edarsenal

Despite the fact that I used to own this on VHS, I've never seen it. I like Geoffrey Rush a lot though so I'm hoping to like it.

I didn't like this movie 21 years ago and I doubt I'm going to like it now.

Inglourious Basterds (2009, Directed by Quentin Tarantino)
Nominated by Ahwell

I LOVE this movie! So violent, so funny!

I don't think I've even heard of this.

Nominated by Neiba

No clue what I'm going to think of this.

Not a clue what I'm going to think.

Nominated by Miss Vicky

Obviously I love this. I know @ahwell is gonna be thrilled to see it again! ;)
Fine I’ll rewatch:rolleyes:

ahwell 05-03-20 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2088176)
No worries excited for you to join the next one!

Miss Vicky 05-03-20 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2088179)
Fine I’ll rewatch:rolleyes:
Maybe it'll grow on you a little. Or maybe you'll hate it even more.

rauldc14 05-03-20 11:00 PM

If I have to rewatch Basterds you better rewatch Joker Ahwell!

Anyways I have only seen Miss Vicky's and Ahwells nominations other than my own.

Wyldesyde19 05-03-20 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2088177)
I know I've said this a million times. But that's going to happen. It's called a Hall of Fame for a reason...
I’m aware, but normally one would hope with the literal thousands of movies out there it might not have happened that way.
Please don’t take that as criticism nor any kind of indictment, it’s not meant as that. I was just amazed at the amount I’ve seen on this.

Wyldesyde19 05-03-20 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by ahwell (Post 2088180)
No worries excited for you to join the next one!
Yeah, I have a film in mind for next time for sure.

Miss Vicky 05-03-20 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2088182)
Meanwhile, I'll be having a blast rewatching them both!

ahwell 05-03-20 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2088182)

Anyways I have only seen Miss Vicky's and Ahwells nominations other than my own.
Then spell Inglourious right in your post you basterd

ahwell 05-03-20 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2088185)
Hey Joker might shock me and become my fav of 2019. I already bumped it up a half star (2 to 2.5) since I think I may have just been a little pissed it was nominated for best picture.

rauldc14 05-03-20 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2088185)
I like Joker, just didn't love it

Miss Vicky 05-03-20 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2088188)
I like Joker, just didn't love it
I didn't see any write-up or rating of it from you anywhere, so wasn't sure if you'd even seen it. Good to know you liked it at least, since our tastes are often quite different.

Siddon 05-03-20 11:13 PM

Well it looks like the theme is going to be bleakness

This is actually playing on TCM Sunday, so pretty happy about this one. I liked it the first time I watched it, obviously Rules is thinking of the Noir hall and this is a good pick.

Nominated by Rauldc14

I didn't like it when I saw it in High School but I was a stupid kid then. I will be watching this one again and paying closer attention. Very intrigued with watching this with I, Donald Blake.

Nominated by Siddon

This was my pick, thinking of both the noir Hall of Fame and the film challenge this was shot in Chile based on Uruguay from a Greek filmmaker who is considered part of the French New Wave.

If you are going to do JAB's 2020 challenge this fits a number of categories.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=60462

1. French New Wave
2. South America
6. Criterion Collection
4. Marcello Mastroianni/Yves Montand/Paul Newman/Toshiro Mifune
2. a foreign language film

Nominated by Edarsenal

Yeah I've never seen this one, it's never on TV and it's not available on Netflix so good pick.

Eh....yeah I'll watch it again see if I see something new but...eh

Nominated by Ahwell

Pretty, if I was doing Tarantino I would have gone True Romance for the Noir aspect...would have been on theme.

Excellent pick from Cosmic, this was a great indie thriller that came out years ago.

Nominated by Neiba

A lot of people love this movie...I thought it had been nominated before. I thought it was okay I don't know how it's going to compare to the other noms.

Never heard of it, looks interesting.

Nominated by Miss Vicky

Good pick selecting something playing on HBO May 16th

rauldc14 05-03-20 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2088189)
I didn't see any write-up or rating of it from you anywhere, so wasn't sure if you'd even seen it. Good to know you liked it at least, since our tastes are often quite different.
I only do write ups on letterboxd these days. Sorry about that.

Miss Vicky 05-03-20 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2088192)
I only do write ups on letterboxd these days. Sorry about that.
:shrug:

Nothing to be sorry about. I figured most if not all of the participants will have seen it already anyway. I picked it because I wanted to watch it again.

rauldc14 05-03-20 11:17 PM

We were super heavy on films this century. Only Citizen myself and Siddon went old school

rauldc14 05-03-20 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2088193)
:shrug:

Nothing to be sorry about. I figured most if not all of the participants will have seen it already anyway. I picked it because I wanted to watch it again.
It will be nice for me do do a proper review for it too

Wyldesyde19 05-03-20 11:27 PM

My favorite part of the reveals is seeing each individuals particular nomination. I like matching people to their picks and looking at their past picks and look at a possible theme.
Weird, I know. 🤷

Citizen Rules 05-03-20 11:33 PM

My thoughts or lack of them:p

This was on my list of future HoF noms like forever, so I thought why not go with it. It's tagged noir at IMBD but it's more of a melodrama, not really a noir. I've seen it a couple of times and it's in my top 10. I also just watched the Kate Winslet mini series Mildred Pierce which was also good.

Nominated by Rauldc14

I also had considered this as my nom. I've seen it once and it's one of the very few films that I think I reviewed to harshly. So I've always wanted to revisit it and see if I was right or wrong.

Nominated by Siddon

Not heard of it and that's a good thing.

Nominated by Edarsenal

Also not heard of it and that's still a good thing:)

I seen this once and like 20 years ago, I was very impressed by the sci if elements of the story. I've been thinking I should watch it again, so I will.

Nominated by Ahwell
I'm not a fan of Tarantino or his films, think of how Miss Vicky feels about Kubrick and that's how I feel about Tarantino.

Not heard of it, but interested in checking it out.

Nominated by Neiba

This seems like a Neiba nom:)

Never heard of it and I can't even pronounce that title, it must be foreign? I didn't bother to look up any of these films, I just started typing:p

Nominated by Miss Vicky

Not what I thought she was going to nominate. But it will be interesting to read the reviews of it.