Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I've seen RIPD a couple of times, enjoyed it too

Blue Ruin (Jeremy Saulnier, 2013)
Imdb

Date Watched: 05/15/2020
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: The 22nd MoFo Hall of Fame
Rewatch: No

This is a pretty straight-forward film about a man forced to confront his past in order to exact revenge on the man who he believes murdered his parents. With such a premise it could have been something really great. It could have had a protagonist I could've really gotten behind and those acts of vengeance could've felt a whole lot more satisfying. Unfortunately, however, the protagonist we get is a traumatized shell of a man who is just too empty to garner more than a vague sense of sympathy from me.

I did appreciate though the casting choice. Star Macon Blair lends a sense of authenticity to the lead role as the somewhat dumpy-looking every man, Dwight - a man turned killer without any combat training or past experience. But, again, that emptiness of the character prevented me from ever being truly invested in him.

Overall, Blue Ruin is a solid film and it held my interest for its 90 minute run, but this is not something I'm likely to ever revisit and I've probably been a bit generous with my rating.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yeah that was the bummer for me. The premise seemed intriguing to me and I thought I would really like it.

Will you be following my watching pattern Miss Vicky and is Last Picture Show next?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I was a bit disappointed in Blue Ruin when I first saw it too, but the more I thought about it after, the more I appreciated it.
I love when that happens actually. It hasn't happened to me on a lot of movies, but it has for a few.

2001 is one I can somewhat think of, as I think I rated it a 6 on first watch but I'd consider it about a 7.5+ now

THE LAST PICTURE SHOW

I usually love films that feel like a glimpse of a distant time in a forgotten world that once was. And doubling that up with a dose of coming of age drama, I’m usually all for it… However, ‘The Last Picture Show’ didn’t quite do it for me. At least not as a whole. Most of the first hour had me struggling to care much about anything going on. I wasn’t invested in the characters, where they were coming from or where they were going. Of course, I realized, that in reality they weren’t going anywhere and that was kind of the point in a way. But the little moments leading up to all this just didn’t work for me much and the coming of age stuff was only interesting to me when it was coming to an end… when finally reflected upon it began to resonate with me, but we were past the halfway point by then and it was a little too late for me (sort of a like the characters in the film).

If the first half had worked for me then the second half would have hit even harder. Because when focusing on that second half and the transition into bleaker territory then I would certainly say there is something great to be found in this film. The way emptiness and loneliness come crashing down out of nowhere and quickly changes the tone of everything. The confusion about coming of age but also coming to terms with who you are, where you are going and what you are doing with life. How you must abandon something that might already have abandoned you and how the things that used to have meaning now have nothing at all – or perhaps it has taking on a different meaning entirely. All those thoughts, feelings and phases that is constantly changing and the inevitable confrontation of life with little to no comfort. It was almost a constant increase in interest for me, only it occurred to me a little to late. And like the characters, I was left with this weird feeling of something having passed me by… and I’m not sure if I missed it or if I’m just missing what was never really there to begin with?

Thankfully, unlike these characters, I have the ability to actually go back and relive the moments. I will probably do that in the future, but for now, this was a frustrating watch for me. I’m not sure if the coming of age stuff really worked for me or if the images of dogs trying to mate or traffic lights going from green to red was really thoughtful, playful or neither of those things. Here’s hoping the first half will work much better for me in the future...

The Matrix (1999)

Agent Smith is so cool! Damn what a character with that distinctive way of talking...and with the way he tilts his head I believed he was a sentient program inside the matrix. Kudos to Hugo Weaving for creating one helluva distinct & imaginative character...now that's acting!

While I'm singing the praises of the cast, Morpheus was cool as ice! And what a great casting choice to use Laurence Fishburne, he totally made the role. Morpheus gets those cool shades and all the great lines.

Come to think of it, Agent Smith has cool sunglasses too. To me the best thing about The Matrix is the very unique look the film had. I'm talking about the sets & clothing. I swear for years after this film I seen people dressed in black in those long angle length coats. Even Trinity's short slicked back hair added to the unique fashion style of the movie.

Then there's all those ground breaking special effects that has shaped the direction of movies and even TV commercials for decades. The Matrix was as influential as other great sci fi's like 2001 or Blade Runner.

I wish I could say I liked all the action-fighting sequences but in general I'm not a big action fan, it's just not my thing...Though the action scenes were well done and unique. Mostly I loved the sci-fi concept of The Matrix and the look of the film...and Agent Smith too!
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	ESBbu0VWAAIvXhH.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	64594  

Morpheus gets those cool shades and all the great lines.

Come to think of it, Agent Smith has cool sunglasses too. To me the best thing about The Matrix is the very unique look the film had.
I seriously thought you were going to say that the best thing about The Matrix is all the eyewear.

Joker (2019)

I watched this only a couple months ago so I'm going to pass on rewatching it. Initially I was not interested in this movie as I thought it would be hyper violent. But I decided to watch it for the 2019 MoFo Film Awards. Originally I set out to watch all the Oscar nominated for Best Picture movies. I ended up watching only: Ford v Ferrari, Little Women, 1917 and of course Joker. Joker by far was the best of the bunch and that's thanks to Joaquin Phoenix. I do think he's probably the best actor working today. I haven't always enjoyed his movies, but Phoenix is almost always the bright spot in the films he's in.

So when watching Joker I was very impressed with both the film and Phoenix's portrayal of a man suffering from an emotional/mental condition compounded by the **** that he gets kicked into his face on a daily basis. The introspective look at Arthur Fleck, aka Joker, was what struck me as the most poignant part of the film.

I know some people hate this movie and I think I know why. It's because of 'expectations'. A lot of the negativity the film got was from Batman fans who expected a continuation of the Joker character they knew from the various Batman sequels. When the film wasn't as they had expected then then were disappointed. That happens with many films...preconceived ideas can kill a film...However with me, I've not seen any of the Batman movies say for the first two and I don't like superhero flicks, so when I seen this was an intelligently made film about a man suffering with a troubled life, I liked it! I almost wish they hadn't named it Joker and tied it into the Batman universe. Of course that was done to sell tickets, but the film works wonderfully on it's on accord. In a way Joker reminds me of a silent film we seen in an HoF called Laugh Clown Laugh (1928) it's about a man who has a condition where he can't stop laughing.

Gosh I didn't mean to write that much! Below is my original review.

Brilliant first hour! The film held me spellbound like few films do. I was very focused on the story of the mentally ill Arthur Fleck and his continual downward spiral into something very dark and disturbing. And yet I liked Arthur, or at least I had great sympathy for him. In the first hour of the film three key ingredients came together: a disturbing story of the ultimate underdog...and a music score that accentuated the emotions of the scenes...and the third key component is Joaquin Phoenix who in my opinion is the best actor working today. Phoenix is able to dive into his roles and bring a resonances that makes us believe his angst, even when his character is unsavory as is the Joker. That first hour gets a 5/5+ rating. And Phoenix well deserved the Oscar for Best Actor.

However, and you know there had to be a however! Like most all blockbuster Hollywood movies Joker goes to far over the top and lost it's balance in my eyes in the second half. The first killings in the subway was justifiable (in movie standards) as Arthur had just been attacked and beaten. But the next two killings were more for shock value and gore and lost any empathy I had for the character. I get it that the target audience like that type of shock/gore, but it's too bad because what I seen building in the first hour was washed away by the super-hero movie craze of the second half.

Don't get me wrong there was still moments of genius in the second half but to much of it relayed on Scorsese's The King of Comedy (1982). I couldn't believe how similar the two were. Now if someone tells me the director/writer Todd Phillips was a fan of The King of Comedy and was paying homage to it...then cool. But otherwise it looks pretty close to plagiarisms to me. Maybe not by legal standards but as far as creative script writing goes, pffft.

I rate the second half at 3/5

I'll balance out the two ratings and my official rating:

@Citizen Rules

I was really surprised when I looked back at your review thread and saw that you'd seen and, for the most part, enjoyed Joker. I was not expecting that at all so it was a very pleasant surprise.

It's interesting that you point out the similarities between Joker and Laugh Clown Laugh because Todd Philips has actually said that he took some inspiration from another 1928 silent film, The Man Who Laughs, about a disfigured man who is unable to stop smiling even though he experiences deep sorrow.

Also, I still haven't got a clue what movie you thought I was going to nominate and it's bugging me!

ETA: Your post comment. That movie never crossed my mind and it isn’t one that I’m likely to ever nominate. I love it, but not in a way that I would consider Hall of Fame worthy.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
State of Siege (1972)

I’d never heard of this film at all before this hall of fame and probably wouldn’t have watched it if left to my own devices. I’d heard of Costa-Gavras and his film Z, but I’ve never seen that either. They don't seem to be very easy to get hold of. I don’t know what I was expecting, having only the title to go on, but it somehow wasn't quite what I expected.

I feel like the context of the political situation needs some kind of explanation when attempting to describe it, but as I had only the faintest idea of any of the context before watching it, I’ll refrain from any attempts at explanation. Perhaps there is more to be got out of this film if you are more knowledgeable about the situation, but I found that I could follow what was happening from how it unfolded on screen.

There was something about this that felt like a dramatization of a real event, and yet when I read about it, it seems that it wasn’t exactly a true story, but based on similar events in order to illuminate the wider story of what was happening with the Uruguayan government, the guerrillas and the American involvement.

There was something about this film that reminded me of Army of Shadows – not just the subject matter of kidnap and resistance cells, also the pace and the cool blue-grey colour palette. I liked the way it was shot. I thought the way they conveyed the flashes of torture was well done, it wasn’t exploitative or lingering on it but got across the reality of the way it had been used by the police.

I think the flaw for me in this was that it was so focused on the political situation that there was very little attempt to make any of the characters into characters, to understand their motivations, quirks, relationships or personalities. Except perhaps for the journalist. Perhaps it just wasn’t that sort of film, but it did come across as a little cool and impersonal.

I think it was a very interesting film and I’m glad it was nominated. Thanks also to Citizen for helping me find it.

I also watched State of Siege earlier today. I probably won't get anything written tonight though, since I only just realized that tomorrow is a holiday, so now I need to go to the shops before they close.

I've been getting groceries every two weeks instead of every week during the pandemic, but I'm still not used to buying for those extra days in between trips so I've been stretching things pretty thin. Poor students on primarily prepacked ramen diets probably have more in their cupboard than I do right now haha. I would just go Tuesday morning, but I actually have to go to work for the first time in 2 months since we're getting ready to reopen, assuming restrictions lower in June as planned that is.

We always get groceries early in the morning, so going at night is going to be really strange. If you're wondering why I keep going on about this instead of just leaving, it's because I'm waiting for my brother to finish eating, and he's the driver. At this rate I could write something about State of Siege after all.

Blue Ruin has been rewatched. That’s 5 watched so far (8 if you count those I have already watched, but will most likely rewatch).

That’s 3 new watches and 3 rewatches left for me.

The Last Picture Show (Peter Bogdanovich, 1971)
Imdb

Date Watched: 05/17/2020
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: The 22nd MoFo Hall of Fame
Rewatch: No

While it was kind of neat to see so many familiar faces when they were young, the novelty of that wore off pretty quickly and the film didn't have a whole lot more to offer for me.

I disliked or was apathetic to nearly all of the characters, with Mrs. Popper being the one possible exception. But even then I didn't feel much and I had trouble sticking with the film.

Which is not to say that the film isn't well made or that it doesn't achieve what it aimed to achieve. It does well to set a mood of despair and longing and of the slow death of the characters' childhood. The black and white images and the constant nasal droning of old time country music also do well to evoke the time and place in which it is set.

The problem is I don't like that nasal droning. I find it irritating. And a whole lot of nothing really happens in the movie - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. That sort of thing can work quite well when I'm invested in the characters. But I wasn't invested in them. I spent the entire film feeling nothing but detachment, which was maybe the point, I don't know, but it's not a film for me.

3 out of 5 out of respect for the things it does well. If I were giving it a rating based purely on my enjoyment, it'd get maybe a 2.

-