22nd Hall of Fame

Tools    

We doing this now?

18 - #1
19 - #1
20 - #2 (would have been #3 if Rear Window wasn't DQed)
21 - #1

Pixar - #1 (but after rewatching most of the noms I'd change that to #3)
Classic Comedy - #1 and #2
Pre-30s I - #1 and #5
2nd Sci-Fi - #2
Pre-30s II - #1 and #2
2nd Animation - #1
Golden Age Comedy - #2 and #4
VHS Comedy - #1 and #7
Japanese - #2
Western II - #1
Best Picture II - #3

I have voted my own nomination #1 every time but one; in 1930s HoF I voted The Scarlet Empress over my nomination (the notorious Child Bride). But like @Miss Vicky I tend to nominate personal favorites.

EDIT: And no, Child Bride isn't really a personal favorite

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
When Rear Window was DQed that would have made High Noon number 3 on my list. Still kinda pissed Rear Window was DQed, it deserves to be in the HOF certainly.

When Rear Window was DQed that would have made High Noon number 3 on my list. Still kinda pissed Rear Window was DQed, it deserves to be in the HOF certainly.
It will probably get nominated again someday.

Or we can do a specific Hitchcock hall though it likely needs to be curated more so than nominated for balance and quality. Psycho had already won but I believe their are 21 Hitchcock films that could/should be reviewed and watched.

The 39 Steps, The Birds, Dial M for Murder, Foreign Agent, Frenzy, Jamaica Inn, The Lady Vanishes, Lifeboat, The Lodger, Man who knew too much, Man who knew too much(1956), North by Northwest, Notorious, Rear Window, Rebecca, Rope, Shadow of a Doubt, Spellbound, Strangers on a Train, To Catch a Thief, Vertigo

We've talked about a Hitch HoF in the past and I said I would host it. It would be fun and hopefully would draw in new members. We need to keep getting in new members to replace those who no longer are joining up.

The trick is not minding
We've talked about a Hitch HoF in the past and I said I would host it. It would be fun and hopefully would draw in new members. We need to keep getting in new members to replace those who no longer are joining up.
I know I would definitely be up for a Hitch HOF. I own two box sets of his. One that’s a red velvet like box with many of his classic and a set with his early works, including some of his silent films, like The Lady Vanishes, Jamaica In and the 39 Steps. *

I know I would definitely be up for a Hitch HOF. I own two box sets of his. One that’s a red velvet like box with many of his classic and a set with his early works, including some of his silent films, like The Lady Vanishes, Jamaica In and the 39 Steps. *
I could see doing a Hitch HoF in several stages:

The British Era: 1944 and earlier
The Early Hollywood Era: 1945 to 1953
The Prime Years: 1954 to 1959
The Later Years: 1960 to 1976

Or something like that I just did that quickly. There's probably other ways to break his film periods into groups. I suppose to keep it simple just two Hitch HoFs The British Years & The American Years

I would join any Hitch HoF. Or what COULD be fun would be picking a director with a small amount of films and having everyone who joins watch those films.

The problem with a Hitch HOF is his movies are pretty standardly ranked for the most part. Obviously with a decent sample size, Psycho will beat a movie like The Man Who Knew Too Much. Rear Window would be a Topaz. Or maybe I should just shut up and let this move on. Forget what I said

The problem with a Hitch HOF is his movies are pretty standardly ranked for the most part. Obviously with a decent sample size, Psycho will beat a movie like The Man Who Knew Too Much. Rear Window would be a Topaz. Or maybe I should just shut up and let this move on. Forget what I said

Psycho won't be allowed in as it already won a Hall of Fame

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I agree with raudlc. Besides, I usually join HoFs to discover films I wouldn't probably ever watch otherwise. I've seen almost everything from Hitch's American period already, many of them multiple times, so it would be a HoF filled with rewatches.

It's not the rewatching that bothers me. I'm the rewatch guru really. It's the fact of the results predictability for me anyways. I prefer an atmosphere like the director dissection for something like that.

It's not the rewatching that bothers me. I'm the rewatch guru really. It's the fact of the results predictability for me anyways. I prefer an atmosphere like the director dissection for something like that.
Yeah, that was a good thread too bad it died out.

I've watched Shine, but don't expect a particularly interesting write-up for that one, since once again I don't really know what I want to say about it. I found the nominations for the Noir HoF so easy to write about, but so far these films are making me draw a blank.

Perhaps being off work so long due to the pandemic is making my brain turn to mush haha.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Matrix

Agent Smith: I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell, if there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it.

There is a basic movie equation that states that a protagonist is as strong as their antagonist. A good hero needs a really good villain, and with Hugo Weaving playing the unrelenting Agent Mr. Smith

who's mannerisms and speech patterns is dead on for the character he portrays is an ideal immovable object for Keanu Reeves' genesis (Neo) and eventual growth into a unstoppable force.

The first in the trilogy of the Matrix films, this is a serious addition to the sci-fi/action genre within a dystopian landscape. It's "bullet time" action sequence being snatched up, copied and even parodied within a few years of its debut in some twenty odd films. Even the name, referencing the facade that blinds us from what is truly occurring has been ingrained into our everyday slang.

The Wachowskis world building, as well as their introduction into that world is quite the adrenaline filled ride with some wonderful sci-fi philosophy giving this stylized film a solid ground to stand upon and reach skyward.
Following Mr. Anderson's discovery, or more accurately, being discovered by the dystopian world and those doing battle within to "wake up" those imprisoned and used as "copper tops" for the IAs who control the Matrix.

From the very first time I stepped out of the movie theater, heart pumping with excitement from the incredible ride I had just thoroughly enjoyed, I've been a fan of this film and the trilogy itself. The action and solid dystopian story line blends extremely well and while some of the wire fighting is a little off (which isn't a serious critique since wire use is a fallible technique in itself) it still remains a powerhouse with excellent primary and secondary characters. Some of my extreme favorites being The Orcacle played by Gloria Foster and Tank (Marcus Chong).

A d@mn good start to an incredible list of nominations!

The first in the trilogy of the Matrix films
I think you'll find that there's only 1 entry in the series. It was a great stand alone film that thankfully had no sequels.

I honestly don't hate the sequels as much as a lot of people do, but I also haven't watched Revelations since I saw it in theatres, and turned off Reloaded the last time I tried to watch it haha.