Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=62530)

edarsenal 10-25-20 06:52 PM

Re: The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2134876)
Now I’m curious which movie two people thought I would like.
I'll tell ya after you review it.
Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2134880)
I was also very much considering picking it for you.
Hmm, that actually put me at ease a little about it, and regardless hope it's enjoyable.
Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2134881)
The Crow (1994)...I'm guessing.
I think it's Otherwordly/fantastical aspect would be a put off for her though the rest would be pretty d@mn good and could shine above that. I was VERY tempted. Though I don't remember seeing it on the Lists

Oh, and resent my Noms

Citizen Rules 10-25-20 08:42 PM

Well if The Crow is indeed picked for anyone, I'm not confessing my choices until this is over:shifty: Mums the word!

cricket 10-25-20 09:17 PM

I'm not going to show what lists the movies are on this time. It's a lot of work so figure it out yourselves!

Wyldesyde19 10-25-20 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2134901)
I'm not going to show what lists the movies are on this time. It's a lot of work so figure it out yourselves!
I think we can figure it out. 🙂
You’ve done enough just hosting this.
About when can we expect the lists to be available?

Miss Vicky 10-25-20 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2134905)
Looks like he still needs noms from Suspect, Inmate, and Thursday.

cricket 10-25-20 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2134905)
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2134910)
Looks like he still needs noms from Suspect, Inmate, and Thursday.
And me:p

Citizen Rules 10-25-20 10:22 PM

@TheUsualSuspect @Thursday Next @@Frightened Inmate No 2;
See above^

Citizen Rules 10-25-20 10:23 PM

Ha, I still can't tag inmate, geez:p

edarsenal 10-25-20 10:33 PM

I have the same problem with John-Conner

Citizen Rules 10-25-20 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2134925)
I have the same problem with John-Conner
Miss Vicky knows how to tag him, she showed us once, and damn if I haven't already forgotten:p

Thursday Next 10-26-20 06:24 AM

Sent my nominations. It's harder than it looks! Citizen and Ed were the easiest to pick for (not that that guarantees you'll like the picks!) and HeyFredrick was the hardest. I did agonize a little over whether to go for a riskier or safer pick for Neiba and Miss V... in the end I went one way for one and the other way for the other but not saying which. I also ended up having a lot of the same films on a lot of people's shortlists... I'll save the ones I didn't use for general HoFs.

TheUsualSuspect 10-26-20 08:55 AM

Will send my nominations today.

Hey Fredrick 10-26-20 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2134970)
Sent my nominations. It's harder than it looks! Citizen and Ed were the easiest to pick for (not that that guarantees you'll like the picks!) and HeyFredrick was the hardest.
WHAT? As long as it isn't a rom com, western, war flick, silent flick, musical, comedy, courtroom drama, classic Monster movie, anime, documentary, Woody Allen, James Bond, Charlie Chaplin, black and white or in a language I don't speak I'm open to just about anything. As long as it was made between 1984 and 1985. ;)

TBH, I think I'm one of the easiest to choose for.

Thursday Next 10-26-20 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hey Fredrick (Post 2134991)
WHAT? As long as it isn't a rom com, western, war flick, silent flick, musical, comedy, courtroom drama, classic Monster movie, anime, documentary, Woody Allen, James Bond, Charlie Chaplin, black and white or in a language I don't speak I'm open to just about anything. As long as it was made between 1984 and 1985. ;)
In that case your nom is fine ;)

cricket 10-26-20 08:07 PM

Suspect will be sending his in soon and I sent a message to Inmate. Whichever day I get them I will post them that night. If I receive them at night I will post them the next night. I haven't even decided yet for some of you difficult bastards.

cricket 10-27-20 09:04 AM

Inmate's noms are in. Just waiting for Suspect and then I'll finalize mine. If he sends them within the next 9 or 10 hours they'll be up tonight.

TheUsualSuspect 10-27-20 02:35 PM

Sorry, I forgot. Been hectic at work and home. I will have them to you before 7:00pm. Est

Sorry for the delay.

cricket 10-27-20 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 2135444)
Sorry, I forgot. Been hectic at work and home. I will have them to you before 7:00pm. Est

Sorry for the delay.
It's cool, if it's around that time I can probably still post them today. If I can't, so what!

TheUsualSuspect 10-27-20 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2135448)
It's cool, if it's around that time I can probably still post them today. If I can't, so what!
At work, but I'm going to sneak away and put together a list now.

TheUsualSuspect 10-27-20 04:07 PM

Submitted...in haste...sorry guys. I tried to pay attention to any restrictions.

Miss Vicky 10-27-20 04:20 PM

Sweet. Looking forward to seeing what's been picked for me!

cricket 10-27-20 04:33 PM

Ok boys and girls, keep a look out in a couple hours.

cricket 10-27-20 06:13 PM

It doesn't look like anybody is here now so I'll check back in about an hour and a half.

Miss Vicky 10-27-20 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2135500)
It doesn't look like anybody is here now so I'll check back in about an hour and a half.
I'm here!

cricket 10-27-20 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2135501)
I'm here!
I'd say check back in like an hour. It'd be good if we can get a couple more.

edarsenal 10-27-20 07:20 PM

I'm here as well and stick around for it

Miss Vicky 10-27-20 07:22 PM

I'm at work ATM but will keep an eye on this as much as I can.

Wyldesyde19 10-27-20 07:24 PM

At work but keeping an eye on it. Super excited for the picks!

Thursday Next 10-27-20 07:24 PM

I am here!

cricket 10-27-20 07:30 PM

Ok I'm busy but I'm going to start revealing in the 2nd post. Members are in alphabetical order except I'm last. I may have to take a couple of breaks.

edarsenal 10-27-20 07:31 PM

do as you need, @cricket!!

Thursday Next 10-27-20 07:36 PM

Ohh, this is interesting. One of those picks for Citizen looks good - don't know why I didn't pick it myself!

Thursday Next 10-27-20 07:39 PM

Did someone just nominate Midnight Cowboy for everyone? Or is it just a coincidence? One of those picks for Ed was my second choice for him.

Miss Vicky 10-27-20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2135534)
Did someone just nominate Midnight Cowboy for everyone? Or is it just a coincidence? One of those picks for Ed was my second choice for him.
Inmate didn't get it on his list and I've already seen it so it can't be nominated for me.
I'm kind of jealous about some of the movies these people get to experience for the first time.

edarsenal 10-27-20 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2135535)
Inmate didn't get it on his list and I've already seen it so it can't be nominated for me.
I'm kind of jealous about some of the movies these people get to experience for the first time.
I was that way for the first HoF. Can't remember who it was, but they had classic Must See! after Classic Must See! and I was jealous as hell for them AND pretty d@mn happy for them in equal measure.

Thursday Next 10-27-20 07:44 PM

I've seen it too so it won't be on mine. One of Inmate's would have been my back-up pick for him too.

I like how it's all alphabetical so there's no clues who picked what.

Hey Fredrick 10-27-20 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2135536)
I was that way for the first HoF. Can't remember who it was, but they had classic Must See! after Classic Must See! and I was jealous as hell for them AND pretty d@mn happy for them in equal measure.
Pretty sure that was Ahwell. Everything on that list was outstanding.

Miss Vicky 10-27-20 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2135536)
That was probably ahwell. He's basically just a kid so he's got a lot of watching to do.

Thursday Next 10-27-20 07:51 PM

HashtagBrownies has a lot of vampire movies to watch :rotfl:

edarsenal 10-27-20 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2135537)
I've seen it too so it won't be on mine. One of Inmate's would have been my back-up pick for him too.

I like how it's all alphabetical so there's no clues who picked what.
The secretive aspect worked really well in the first one and then people volunteered after a review wasn't written. Really enjoyed that
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2135539)
That was probably ahwell. He's basically just a kid so he's got a lot of watching to do.
YES! Thank you!!
and thank you @Hey Fredrick. For some reason your quote didn't show up

Miss Vicky 10-27-20 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2132008)

Miss Vicky watches-

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...%281986%29.pnghttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...don_poster.jpg

An American Werewolf in London (1981)
Blue Velvet (1986)
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989)
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Miller’s Crossing (1990)
Ordinary People (1980)
The Player (1992)
Secrets & Lies (1996)
Strangers on a Train (1951)
The Untouchables (1987)
David Lynch is a director I forgot to put on my list of dislikes, but I've only seen a few of his so maybe I'll like Blue Velvet. I've been meaning to watch The Untouchables for ages now because I love Costner. No idea what I'll think of the rest.

edarsenal 10-27-20 07:58 PM

Some great lists coming out for folks and looks like both me and Fredrick will be checking out Ace in the Hole

hey, @Miss Vicky, how ya feelin with the ones picked out for ya?

Hey Fredrick 10-27-20 08:05 PM

I love The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover but it's an acquired taste.

edarsenal 10-27-20 08:08 PM

I saw Blue Velvet when it first came out and it's a bit foggy, so it's hard to gauge but it could be one of those exceptions for you.

edarsenal 10-27-20 08:10 PM

Looks like you got a nice mix, @ThursdayNext.

Have not seen The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover but I've been forever curious about it.

HashtagBrownies 10-27-20 08:13 PM

Well, looks like an interesting selection this time:

Blood Simple (1984): Actually really excited to see this one, I heard of the plot awhile back and it sounds very intriguing.
Fright Night (1985): Who can go wrong with 80's horror?
The Great Silence (1968): Just the type of western I like!
Ikiru (1952): I've enjoyed what I've seen so far from Kurosawa, some more than others, so I say this will be good too.
Interview with the Vampire (1994): I've heard good things about this one.
Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979): I've loved everything I've seen so far from Herzog, so big hopes for this one.
Platoon (1986): I can't believe I haven't seen this one either haha, time to check it out now.
Quills (2000): Yeah I definitely know who nominated this one. Looks really good.
Sonatine (1993): I've been meaning to watch a Kitano film for awhile now, no better place to start I guess.
Sweet Smell of Success (1957): Looks stylish and the plot sounds interesting.
Jackie Brown (1997): Funnily enough I literally just watched this one last night without any knowledge that it was going to be picked! I can post a write up of it tonight.

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2135540)
HashtagBrownies has a lot of vampire movies to watch :rotfl:
I noticed lol, I mean i have been kinda slacking on horror, especially considering the Halloween season is nearly over, so it's no bother for me.

Thursday Next 10-27-20 08:13 PM

I suspected I would get Contact, Parasite and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - the first two because they are obvious omissions I haven't got round to yet, the latter because I think it's pretty much the only thing left on the Millennium list I haven't seen.

(Actually I predicted I would get Blue Velvet too, but will have to see what Miss Vicky makes of it instead!)

I'm looking forward to Arsenic and Old Lace. I meant to watch 3.10 to Yuma for the Westerns list but didn't get to it in time (and I think I could take a good guess at who nominated it...). The Fugitive I probably should have watched by now. I don't know much about Paper Moon, Random Harvest or Working Girl and I've genuinely never heard of Night Moves or Going My Way so they will be a complete surprise.

Looking forward to it!

cricket 10-27-20 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2135542)
David Lynch is a director I forgot to put on my list of dislikes, but I've only seen a few of his so maybe I'll like Blue Velvet. I've been meaning to watch The Untouchables for ages now because I love Costner. No idea what I'll think of the rest.
I'm pretty sure you had Lynch on your list of dislikes.

Miss Vicky 10-27-20 08:14 PM

Also, I haven't the slightest idea who picked what on my list.

cricket 10-27-20 08:16 PM

I wonder if any of these make someone's ballot for the upcoming all time countdown? And I mean folks watching for the first time.

edarsenal 10-27-20 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by HashtagBrownies (Post 2135547)
Well, looks like an interesting selection this time:

Sonatine (1993): I've been meaning to watch a Kitano film for awhile now, no better place to start I guess.
This is one of the very few I haven't seen and dying to. Looking forward to your review when it comes across the board

Miss Vicky 10-27-20 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2135549)
I'm pretty sure you had Lynch on your list of dislikes.
So I did.

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2132047)
-As many of you already know, there are a number of directors that I generally dislike. While choosing a film from one of them isn't an automatic dealbreaker, please be aware that the chances of your nomination ranking highly on my ballot will be pretty damn low if you disregard this bit of advice. Such directors include Stanley Kubrick, Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson, David Lynch, and Darren Arronofsky. There may be more that I'm not thinking of as well.

cricket 10-27-20 08:19 PM

Downfall, Philadelphia, and Secrets & Lies were all high up on my hoped for list. A 2nd member attempted to choose Downfall for me. These are very smart people.

I didn't realize A Man and a Woman was on any of the lists. I just put this on my watchlist about 3 days ago after noticing someone's post about it in the rate the last movie thread.

The Right Stuff and Good Night and Good Luck are both movies that I've always had interest in but never took the plunge.

The Help, appearing to be a woman's movie, is probably one of the last movies on our lists I would have gotten to......except, it's already on my Netflix DVD queue because my wife wants to see it. Is somebody spying on me!?

Underground is a movie I must have heard of because I contributed to it's list, but it wasn't on my radar. A quick look on it's IMDb page, and I have a feeling it might be a sleeper.

Across the Universe is something I definitely wasn't familiar with. A quick peek tells me well this is different!

Somebody picks All About My Mother and I'm thinking what is this geriatric BS. Wait, it's Almodovar? Sold!

Underworld, the vampire movie? I seen that shlt already. Oh no it's a crime film from the great Josef Von Sternberg. How the hell did I miss this when I was prepping for the pre-30's countdown?

Good job peeps!

Thursday Next 10-27-20 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2135552)
I wonder if any of these make someone's ballot for the upcoming all time countdown? And I mean folks watching for the first time.
I'm only including things I've seen more than once, so it would have to be something I really loved enough to watch again in the next couple of weeks to crack my 25.

edarsenal 10-27-20 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2135550)
Also, I haven't the slightest idea who picked what on my list.
I'm not even ATTEMPTING to guess which film from who. It was a surprise every time I found out.
Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2135552)
Quite a few most likely

Hey Fredrick 10-27-20 08:23 PM

I can say, with a fair degree of certainty, that none of these will make my ballot.

Wyldesyde19 10-27-20 08:28 PM

I’m assuming the recommendation for me is Blade Runner: Final cut?
I have seen Blade Runner, which is marked off, but did not mark off Final Cut version since I read it adds a lot more.
Just making sure.

Thursday Next 10-27-20 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2135546)
Looks like you got a nice mix, @ThursdayNext.

Have not seen The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover but I've been forever curious about it.
Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2135553)
This is one of the very few I haven't seen and dying to. Looking forward to your review when it comes across the board
Starting to think Ed feels he got the wrong list of movies :p

Hope you like some of your own films (and we'll keep these in mind for next time...)

cricket 10-27-20 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2135559)
I have seen Blade Runner, which is marked off, but did not mark off Final Cut version since I read it adds a lot more.
Just making sure.
I was only given Blade Runner so it must be. Is final cut on one of the lists?

Miss Vicky 10-27-20 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hey Fredrick (Post 2135558)
I can say, with a fair degree of certainty, that none of these will make my ballot.
Yeah, one of these movies would have to completely blow me away for it to stand any chance of making my ballot. There are a number of them on other people's lists that might though.

Thursday Next 10-27-20 08:32 PM

I don't think it's clear on the Ebert list that it's the final cut, it just says Blade Runner 1982 which is uncrossed for Wyldesyde.

Hey Fredrick 10-27-20 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2132008)

Hey Fredrick watches-

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...oviePoster.jpghttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ngofcomedy.jpg

Ace in the Hole (1951)
All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
The Awful Truth (1937)
Ginger Snaps (2000)
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)
Inherit the Wind (1960)
It Happened One Night (1934)
The Killers (1946)
The King of Comedy (1982)
Paris Texas (1984)
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)
Ace in the Hole (1951) - Never heard of it.
All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) - Probably should have seen this one by now.
The Awful Truth (1937) - Never heard of it
Ginger Snaps (2000) - Heard of it
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001) - Heard of it and I'm pretty sure I know who nominated it. Not as sure as I was with Pink Flamingos but pretty sure.
Inherit the Wind (1960) - Never heard of it
It Happened One Night (1934) - Heard of it
The Killers (1946) - Never heard of this one. Thought it was the John Woo one at first glance but I'm pretty sure he wasn't making movies in 1946
The King of Comedy (1982) - Heard of it and have avoided it. But I also avoided Blair Witch forever and ended up liking that one so....
Paris Texas (1984) - Started watching this last weekend and fell asleep 51 minutes in. Not because it was boring but because I started it at one in the morning
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962) - I know all about this one. Have probably quoted it a few times but have never seen it. I really like Bette Davis so I'm glad to finally see it.

Last time around my top 3 films were ones I had never heard of so I'm pretty okay with this.

Hey Fredrick 10-27-20 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2135563)
Yeah, one of these movies would have to completely blow me away for it to stand any chance of making my ballot. There are a number of them on other people's lists that might though.
My ballot is submitted. Maybe one of these will make the next all time list, who knows.

Wyldesyde19 10-27-20 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2135564)
I don't think it's clear on the Ebert list that it's the final cut, it just says Blade Runner 1982 which is uncrossed for Wyldesyde.
For some reason it is clear on mine. I’ll take final cut if so however. I’m fine with it

cricket 10-27-20 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2135559)
Just making sure.
Ok I looked it up and Ebert has The Final Cut as one of his great movies, but not the director's cut or the original version.

edarsenal 10-27-20 08:41 PM

Ace in the Hole (1951)
The Apartment (1960)
Caberet (1972)
Marty (1955)
Midnight Cowboy (1969)
Spartacus (1960)
Strangers on a Train (1951) These are all Must See's! that I truly need to see. Ace & Marty I've been on the fence about but I got a feeling they are ones I'll thoroughly enjoy.

Sullivan's Travels (1941) One of several from the 40's Countdown I've been wanting to see. Actually saw the ending one day on TCM and have been wanting to see it all. Get to now

Almost Famous (2000) When this came out I was iffy about it and have grown curious over time about it.

The Wages of Fear (1953) Read the short description of this on IMDb and it sounded similar to Sorcerer from '77 so that's got me hyped AND it's FRENCH! Très putain sympa!! (Very f@cking nice)
A Taste of Honey (1961) Completely unknown so should be quite the adventure

Very, VERY happy with my list -- THANKS EVERYONE!

cricket 10-27-20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2135570)
Ace in the Hole (1951)
The Apartment (1960)
Caberet (1972)
Marty (1955)
Midnight Cowboy (1969)
Spartacus (1960)
Strangers on a Train (1951) These are all Must See's! that I truly need to see. Ace & Marty I've been on the fence about but I got a feeling they are ones I'll thoroughly enjoy.

Sullivan's Travels (1941) One of several from the 40's Countdown I've been wanting to see. Actually saw the ending one day on TCM and have been wanting to see it all. Get to now

Almost Famous (2000) When this came out I was iffy about it and have grown curious over time about it.

The Wages of Fear (1953) Read the short description of this on IMDb and it sounded similar to Sorcerer from '77 so that's got me hyped AND it's FRENCH! Très putain sympa!! (Very f@cking nice)
A Taste of Honey (1961) Completely unknown so should be quite the adventure

Very, VERY happy with my list -- THANKS EVERYONE!
Sorcerer is a remake to Wages of Fear

edarsenal 10-27-20 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Thursday Next (Post 2135561)
Starting to think Ed feels he got the wrong list of movies :p

Hope you like some of your own films (and we'll keep these in mind for next time...)
:rotfl::rotfl:
It's Christmas morning, presents are open and toys everywhere and no matter how happy you are with your toys ya STILL look over and remark, "You got that?! I didn't get that."

cricket 10-27-20 08:55 PM

So the last time around Strange Days was the only movie to be nominated 3 times. A quick scan tells me this time Paper Moon is the only movie to be nominated 3 times. There's a few nominated twice.

edarsenal 10-27-20 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2135571)
Sorcerer is a remake to Wages of Fear
I kinda wondered. I do remember a conversation about it during the 70s HoF about it.
Thanks

edarsenal 10-27-20 09:00 PM

This is gonna be a lot of fun!
I'm outta here, got Hunger primed and ready for viewing -- take care all!!

Wyldesyde19 10-27-20 09:10 PM

If whoever picked Blade Runner wants to choose again I am also fine with that.

cricket 10-27-20 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2135576)
Hold off watching and I'll get back to you.

Wyldesyde19 10-27-20 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2135577)
Hold off watching and I'll get back to you.
No problem. I realize that it gets confusing with multiple versions.

Wyldesyde19 10-27-20 09:21 PM

A Woman Under the Influence (1974)
Cassevetes is a director I’ve been meaning to dig into. This film has always been one I’ve wanted to start with. Thank you
Bambi (1942)
I love classic Disney, and mentioned how envious I was when it was picked for CR the last go around. Miss Vicky listened. Thank you 🙂
Blade Runner (1982)
Bringing Up Baby (1938)
A old rom com I’ve always had on my watch list and now finally have a reason to watch.
Dial M for Murder (1954)
Hitchcock! Need I say more?
The Innocents (1961)
Not familiar with this one until I joined this site. Looking forward to this. Feels like a Siddon pick. If it is, I’ve always enjoyed his HOF picks
Letter from an Unknown Woman (1948)
Another I’m not familiar with, although I have heard of it. *Looking forward to it as well.*

Paper Moon (1973)
Another 70’s film I’ve had on my watch list for ages.
Raising Arizona (1987)
A Coen Brothers classic (so I’ve been told anyways) that I’ve been meaning to watch.
The Shape of Water (2017)
Sci fi film that I have been wanting to see as well. Excellent.
The Wind that Shakes the Barley (2006)
After watching I, Daniel Blake, I’ve started to dip into Ken Loach.*
I have know ln of this film since it was first released but never got around to it. *Excellent time to start, wouldn’t you say?

Once again, excellent selections. *All have my interest. *This will be fun.*

Miss Vicky 10-27-20 09:25 PM

*Looks at people's responses to their lists*
*Wonders if some of my choices might have been a bit too obvious."

Oh well.

cricket 10-27-20 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2135584)
*Looks at people's responses to their lists*
*Wonders if some of my choices might have been a bit too obvious."

Oh well.
You have a guess on which movie 2 people tried to nominate for you?

Citizen Rules 10-27-20 09:52 PM

I knew it! I knew somebody would give me these two:

Do the Right Thing (1989)
Midnight Cowboy (1969)

I had expected The General and City Lights (would've liked to see those)

A Matter of Life and Death (1946)
Black Orpheus (1959)
Brighton Rock (1948)
Do the Right Thing (1989)
Friendly Persuasion (1956)
Ghost (1990)
Good Will Hunting (1997)
The Iron Giant (1999)
On Dangerous Ground (1951)
Peter Pan (1953)
Midnight Cowboy (1969)

I've heard of most of these, looks like a good haul🙂

Citizen Rules 10-27-20 10:19 PM

Whoops, me bad! I've seen Friendly Persuasion (1956) only a few months ago, but didn't realize it wasn't crossed off my list. I liked it too.

Miss Vicky 10-27-20 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2135588)
You have a guess on which movie 2 people tried to nominate for you?
I don't know much about most of the movies that were picked for me, so I'm going to go with The Untouchables because I've nominated two other movies starring Kevin Costner in past general HOFs (Dances With Wolves and A Perfect World) and because there are several Costner flicks in my top 100.

cricket 10-27-20 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2135602)
I don't know much about most of the movies that were picked for me, so I'm going to go with The Untouchables because I've nominated two other movies starring Kevin Costner in past general HOFs (Dances With Wolves and A Perfect World) and because there are several Costner flicks in my top 100.
Nope

cricket 10-27-20 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2135601)
Whoops, me bad! I've seen Friendly Persuasion (1956) only a few months ago, but didn't realize it wasn't crossed off my list. I liked it too.
Your replacement is in-

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974)

Citizen Rules 10-27-20 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2135606)
Your replacement is in-

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974)
Never seen it:p But I've heard it mentioned many a time.

Wyldesyde19 10-27-20 11:00 PM

Hardly any westerns and no docs this time.
Docs are hit or miss, so I get that, but surprised at the lack of westerns.

Citizen Rules 10-27-20 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2135609)
Hardly any westerns and no docs this time.
Docs are hit or miss, so I get that, but surprised at the lack of westerns.
I was hoping for a doc or two, I usually enjoy them. I've been watching westerns again for the the last couple weeks, but nothing that's on the western list.

Miss Vicky 10-27-20 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2135604)
Nope
American Werewolf in London? I did say I like horror comedies.

cricket 10-27-20 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2135611)
American Werewolf in London? I did say I like horror comedies.
Sorry, it was a 1 guess game.

Miss Vicky 10-27-20 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2135612)
Sorry, it was a 1 guess game.
Boo. Oh well. I'll find out at some point.

cricket 10-27-20 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2135613)
Boo. Oh well. I'll find out at some point.
In 8 months after Suspect turns in the final list:p

Miss Vicky 10-27-20 11:51 PM

Looks like I'm going to need some help finding a non-sketchy source for Secrets & Lies. None of my trusted sources have it and it's not available on region 1 DVD. (One of these days I may get me a region free DVD player, but this is not that day.)

edarsenal 10-28-20 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2135621)
Looks like I'm going to need some help finding a non-sketchy source for Secrets & Lies. None of my trusted sources have it and it's not available on region 1 DVD. (One of these days I may get me a region free DVD player, but this is not that day.)
Let me know if the link I sent in comments works.

Miss Vicky 10-28-20 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by edarsenal (Post 2135625)
Let me know if the link I sent in comments works.
Yep, looks like it works. Thanks!

TheUsualSuspect 10-28-20 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2135614)
In 8 months after Suspect turns in the final list:p

Hey, I wasn't last in the first HoF. :p

HashtagBrownies 10-28-20 05:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jackie Brown

A woman with not much going for her attempts to perform a heist that could cost her everything if failed

I see that some people consider this to be an outlier in Tarantino’s career. How can that be though? It has engaging dialogue, a long runtime that flies by, a groovy soundtrack and clear homage to films that he loves. The only two reasons I can really see is that there’s very little violence and the plot is, for the most part, linear. I know a few people who say it’s their favourite Tarantino for these reasons. While I wouldn’t call it my favourite, I can’t blame them.

This film really takes its time; Most of the film is character interactions and the heist doesn’t happen until near the end of the film. I quite like this style, not everything has to be about samurai sword fights and warehouse shootouts. I was already familiar with this type of Tarantino film when I saw ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’, but of course this was the first time I’d say he used it. For a dialogue heavy film the dialogue is very well written and expresses the personalities of the characters well. Of course the dialogue has that standard Tarantino flair of talking about a random topic that has nothing to do with the plot but is interesting nonetheless (coughing's good, it gets you higher). The use of soul music for the soundtrack gives it a very fresh and cool mood. Even though it's a heist film that doesn't focus too much on the planning or the heist itself, these parts are very well done; they manage to be intense and really funny at the same time.

Not Tarantino’s best film but certainly a great one. Thanks to whoever picked it (even if I did see it before I knew it had been picked last night!)

Chypmunk 10-28-20 06:14 AM

I don't wanna come across as a d1ck but it's Cabaret not Caberet. Both Joel Grey and Liza Minnelli are great in it imo.
Enjoy your watches al!!

cricket 10-28-20 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 2135650)
I don't wanna come across as a d1ck but it's Cabaret not Caberet. Both Joel Grey and Liza Minnelli are great in it imo.
Enjoy your watches al!!
It's better than what I first put down, which was Cabernet. Perhaps I have wine leaking into my brain. Thanks for the heads up🙂

cricket 10-28-20 09:54 AM

I've always thought that Jackie Brown was QT's most under appreciated film. It was my first choice for Hash before it was snatched up from my claws. Glad you enjoyed it!

Chypmunk 10-28-20 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2135671)
I've always thought that Jackie Brown was QT's most under appreciated film. It was my first choice for Hash before it was snatched up from my claws. Glad you enjoyed it!
I agree - it's up there with his best imo.

cricket 10-28-20 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2135576)
Your replacement movie is......

Let the Right One In (2008)

Miss Vicky 10-28-20 11:02 AM

Tarantino is pretty hit or miss for me and Jackie Brown was one of the misses.