Musicals (Do we need 'em?)

Tools    

Musicals interest me quite a bit, despite the fact I am not a fan of them at all. Truth be told, I have never really understood musicals very well. I get the concept if it's a stage play but I really can't understand a film adaptation of a musical.
Now, to be frank, I know that musicals are not designed for bright people and if we're being honest with ourselves, we know that most people that like musicals and silly airheads with colorful jackets and cowboy boots. I don't mean that as an insult to anyone here that's a fan, it's just a generalization that I have found to be pretty accurate.
The reason I have never been able to get into the movie 'Oliver' for example is because it makes no sense at all for a group of characters to burst into song for no good reason and they somehow all know the words of this song despite the fact it's meant to be improvised on the spot? It's nonsense.
Anyone out there agree with me on musicals? I just don't see what it is that I am missing here.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

So true. But then again how do people in regular films all know the script?

Maybe you should try wearing cowboy boots and colourful jackets next time you watch one. It might help.

But often times they are supposed to be making up a song on the spot and yet several of them are singing it at the same time. How?

Not a fan in general. But there are musicals that blew me away, like A Star is Born (1954). Only you have to endure its 3hrs to get totally blown away.

I know, it's silly TRAAAAAAAAAALLALA! That's why it makes people sick. It made John Lennon sick. He just couldn't bloody stand them. But there are various types of musicals...you have The Sound of Music, or West Side Story, My Fair Lady, Singin' in the Rain. Of course the story also plays an important part. As does the music itself. That's why Hair is my favorite.

This might just do nobody any good.
But often times they are supposed to be making up a song on the spot and yet several of them are singing it at the same time. How?
It's as if the film is trying to convey emotions and character development through song.

Perhaps it's using an abstract form of expression that takes advantage of cinema's correlation between sight and sound...

... nah.

But it still doesn't explain how multiple people are able to sing a song at the same time if we're led to believe that they are making it up on the spot. Also, where does the music come from?

"Musicals are for silly airheads, no offense."
That's a deliberate attempt to misunderstand what I am saying.

To be frank, your inability to understand the appeal of musicals does not make you intellectually superior to the "silly airheads" that enjoy them.

And I say that as someone who generally hates musicals precisely for supposedly spontaneous song and dance numbers.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
If you're not keen on people randomly bursting into song, Cabaret may be the musical for you. The songs all take place in a context, usually on stage.

To be frank, your inability to understand the appeal of musicals does not make you intellectually superior to the "silly airheads" that enjoy them.

And I say that as someone who generally hates musicals precisely for supposedly spontaneous song and dance numbers.
I never claimed that I was intellectually superior.

I never claimed that I was intellectually superior.
By calling others "silly airheads" you are implying exactly that. But I suppose we can't all be sophisticated enough to have Ace Ventura and Pixels in our top tens.

By calling others "silly airheads" you are implying exactly that. But I suppose we can't all be sophisticated enough to have Ace Ventura and Pixels in our top tens.
I wouldn't say either are in my top 10s although Ace Ventura is a great movie. Pixels is actually surprisingly good for a Sandler movie too. I just wanted to point out though, that I NEVER said that people who enjoy musicals are airheads nor did I insult people that like them. I was very careful about that in my OP.

I haven't contradicted myself lol there are only 10 options for favorite movies on the profile so I just named 10 that I like that came to mind. It doesn't mean that there arent other movies I prefer.
But as I say, I did not once insult people that like musicals. I talked about a stereotype but I also talked about how I know that doesn't apply to everyone.

This might just do nobody any good.
What are your thoughts on Rob Schneider, bro-him?

Does every movie have to be sullen, or serious, or a basic comedy?

What's wrong with having feel-good movies?
Musicals aren't all just dancing in funny costumes. Well, ok, 99% are... but there's a few out there that don't keep to the stereotype.
Little Shop and Labyrinth are two examples of live action fantasy musicals.
Most of Disney are musicals, and a lot of them don't conform to the brightly coloured costume-drama-musical.

Does every movie have to be sullen, or serious, or a basic comedy?

What's wrong with having feel-good movies?
Musicals aren't all just dancing in funny costumes. Well, ok, 99% are... but there's a few out there that don't keep to the stereotype.
Little Shop and Labyrinth are two examples of live action fantasy musicals.
Most of Disney are musicals, and a lot of them don't conform to the brightly coloured costume-drama-musical.
But all of those movies stink and are not grounded in reality. Bad movies man. That's the point I am trying to convey.

Don't watch them then.
Stick to Pixels instead of rubbishing anything that's not to your personal taste to get attention.