Fox Has Cancelled Joss Whedon's 'Dollhouse'

Tools    

Joss Whedon's 'Dollhouse' Cancelled

"Dollhouse" is closing its doors at Fox.

The network has canceled Joss Whedon's cult fave, which in May beat the odds with a second-season pickup despite low ratings.

The sci-fi series, which is filming episode 11, will finish its 13-episode order.

"Yes. Canceled. Sad but true," tweeted Maurissa Tancharoen, a writer on "Dollhouse" who is married to Whedon's brother Jed Whedon, also a writer on the show.

Beating the odds after a very slow start last spring, "Dollhouse" was renewed for a second season. But with a dismal performance this fall -- and despite getting a ratings bump from DVR viewing -- the show starring Eliza Dushku was benched for November sweeps after four episodes.

Fox plans to air all produced episodes of "Dollhouse," which will return with originals Dec. 4 as planned. Whedon is working on giving the series a proper ending with a big finale.

"I feel the show is getting better pretty much every week, and I think you'll agree in the coming months," Whedon wrote on Whedonesque.com. "I'm grateful that we got to put it on, and then come back and put it on again."

The cancellation of "Dollhouse" may spell good news for fans of Whedon's Web short "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog."

Whedon, who had been rumored to be working on a sequel to the Emmy-winning Internet project, said on Wednesday he is "off to pursue internet ventures/binge drinking" following the end of the Fox series.

"Dollhouse" stars Eliza Dushku as a DNA-altered woman who gets implanted false memories for various missions and tasks.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Whedon reacts to 'Dollhouse' Cancellation

"Dollhouse" creator Joss Whedon on Wednesday shared his disappointment at Fox's decision to cancel the sci-fi thriller.

"I don't have a lot to say," Whedon wrote in a post on Whedonesque.com. "I'm extremely proud of the people I've worked with: my star (Eliza Dushku), my staff, my cast, my crew. I feel the show is getting better pretty much every week, and I think you'll agree in the coming months. I'm grateful that we got to put it on, and then come back and put it on again."

Whedon also addressed his plans. "I'm off to pursue internet ventures/binge drinking," he wrote. "Possibly that relaxation thing I've read so much about. By the time the last episode airs, you'll know what my next project is. But for now there's a lot of work still to be done, and disappointment to bear."

"Thank you all for your support, your patience, your excellent adverts. See you again," Whedon said in closing.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

I liked this show it was not Firefly but it is fun. I think it has a lot to say about the human condition or could do if it were not rather formulaic, but it has potential.

I still haven't seen a single episode. I've DVR'd a bunch, but missed the first four or five and haven't been willing to buy them on iTunes or anything just yet, and this doesn't do much to change my mind. I've never been a big Eliza Dushku fan and I just didn't get the same vibe from this; it always sounded less like a Joss Whedon show and more like something you'd do if you wanted to imitate a Joss Whedon show, you know?

Anyway, I might watch a random episode or two just to make sure, but this probably makes the decision for me. Oh well.

A system of cells interlinked
Great show - bummer it is getting canceled.

Read this news earlier and can't say I'm surprised. As usual, someone's hired Whedon to do a show and then spent all their time meddling with it. TBH, I was surprised it got beyond season 1, what with the, enforced, pilot reshoot and 5 episode pilot start. Even then, after Fox had decided to go ahead with another season, they still cut the last episode "Epitaph One" in the States, though it is included in the boxset. Whether that was a financial decision or not I don't know, but it's just another example of the studio messing around with a show they wanted but didn't know what to do with or how to market.

Well. Not too surprised it was canceled - I mean, really. At least the guy who played Alpha got a new gig, albeit brief, on V. I'm thinking he's really reaching into his bad guy roles. Surprising. In a good way.