Reasons why the Internet freaks me out....

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've just been sent this email and it's kinda....well....unsettled me -

Hi
I found your e-mail address that search by Google. You must used to be a member of ***** ***** (band name withheld by Tacitus to protect the embarrassed ). I have been looking for your records for ages so if you have got some records and CD for sale. Please let me know.

Regards
Kanazawa from Tokyo Japan

Now, is this an elaborate scam which just happened to hit the right idiot, or has this sad person really been trawling through the internet for hours because he's a fan of a band I used to sing with.

10 years ago...

If it's the latter, it really is freaky. I know it's a long shot, but has anyone else had a similar email? Is it an extension of the 'Nigerian money laundering' scam?

Help!

This got me worried, thank god i don't have that much money to be taken out my account

Originally Posted by Peoples Bank
Your payment($495) is processing .

==================================================
To verify that your payment was applied follow the steps below:
1. Access
Dubious link
2. Login and select Charter e-pay
3. Select Recent Activity on the left navigation
4. View Payment Status

Your one time EFT debit card payment dated Sunday 06/07/2005
MST is listed below.

Expiration Date: Sunday 06/07/2005
Payment: $495

PLEASE NOTE: THIS PAYMENT IS A 'REAL TIME' PAYMENT PAID DIRECTLY FROM YOUR
CHECKING ACCOUNT WHEN YOU SUBMITTED YOUR PAYMENT.

Thank you again for making a ONE TIME payment online.
===================================================

This email message is not set up to receive reply messages. If you have any
questions regarding this email notification of your account change, please
contact us at
Dubious LinkThank you for using Peoples Bank Online for this request.

Peoples Bank
Peoples Bancorp Inc
The dubious link sends me to a page where i can enter my account number, sort code and atm pin number......

hehehehe! I've managed to avoid those emails.

The one I got seems genuine though, been doing a bit of digging and it seems this poor guy actually listened to some of the trash we put out in the early 90s.

What intrigues me is that -

a. We never had any promotion (and rarely played) outside the NW of England.

b. This guy's Japanese.

c. And likes snowboarding.

Y'know the feeling you get when an ex turns up in your local just as you're buying a drink for the pretty girl in the corner?

I honestly dunno. Made a couple of phonecalls and got laughed at...

Don't think MoFo would be ready to discover that I am, in fact, Phil Collins.

A system of cells interlinked
They may have had a gig or two out of the NW or England

OK, I've managed to work this out:

My new 'friend' managed to connect my email addy (which includes my name, silly me) with a post I made on a forum 2 years ago. I googled the band name and my forum screen name, which led to the forum and then my profile.

What are the chances of a knock on my door accompanied by the sound of clicking Nikons sometime in the future?

Hopefully nil.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Tacitus
Hi
I found your e-mail address that search by Google. You must used to be a member of ***** ***** (band name withheld by Tacitus to protect the embarrassed ).
BANAN ARAMA!!! Ha!! Gottcha!!! Yo, Siobhan! How's Dave?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

you can learn anything from the internet.

haha i got the nigerian letter lol. Biggest crock of **** i ever read.

May The Forks be With Us
all y'all crazy people. I have never gotten any scams like that before in my life. I fell sorry for y'all though. Just don't put your emails out in the wide open, make sure they are in a reasonably secure zone. I never put my real email down on anything unless i'm sure about it being safe.

"Snozberries taste like snozberries"