Movie Tab II

Tools    

I liked Jackie Brown a lot. It's actually my favorite Tarantino, but I've only seen three of them.
Which three?

It was certainly better than the Kill Bill movies (which I hate), but I'd rank it last out of the others I've seen.

1. Django Unchained
2. Inglourious Basterds
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Reservoir Dogs
5. Jackie Brown

I've seen Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, and Django Unchained.
I recommend adding Reservoir Dogs to that list soon. I watched it recently myself, and it didn't disappoint.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

It's bound to pop up for me at some point.
That's what she said.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

schindler's list (1993) is a classic...

Finished here. It's been fun.
Ikiru-

This is a spectacular film,spectacular. It is a simple tale of a man who is diagnosed with cancer, and knowing he only has a short time on earth he finally begins to "Live". The theme of death is handled beautifully, and the film never feels bleak or overly-sentimental. I am not sure how Kurosawa was able to pull that off, but he does. The movie features one of the greatest cinema performances ever IMO, Takashi Shimura as the film's dying protagonist. Everything you need to know can be read through his facial expressions,eyes, and motions. It is incredible. The script is wonderful as well, the movie handles the subject matter carefully and it even ridicules the hypocrisy of bureaucracy.
Its a delightful piece of cinema that I think honestly anybody can relate to. The final scene on the swing is magical.

Come and See-
I have heard numerous people call this film "propaganda". I do not agree whatsoever. I feel this is a harrowing,bleak,realistic and powerful film that neither glorifies war nor makes it seem "heroic". Lets all be honest here, films like Black Hawk Down or Saving Private Ryan are only loved because of the firefights,action,and their depiction of warfare. Come and See is a film more in line with Full Metal Jacket or Apocalypse Now. This movie is about atmosphere, and showing us the horrors of humanity through the eyes of a young kid. This is one of the best child performances ever, and i mean ever. As he witness the monstrosities of war, we see this take a toll on him physically and mentally.The landscape of this film is barren,lonely and filled with dread. The movie is extremely slow and nihilistic, so if one is looking for something frantic or entertaining this is not it. This is a portrait of hell, hell on Earth. It's sad knowing the human race is capable of such evil.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Swap ratings for Ikiru and WH and I'm okay with it.

Watch the movie to find out.

My to-watch list is already pretty full, and there's a few other war films I want to watch before this, such as Full Metal Jacket. I may never even get to this one, which I hadn't heard of until now.

My to-watch list is already pretty full, and there's a few other war films I want to watch before this, such as Full Metal Jacket. I may never even get to this one, which I hadn't heard of until now.
It's a great film - easily top 5 from the 80s. Move it up the watchlist

3 Women (1977)

Really good weird movie, I didn't understand everything, but it's one I'll rewatch!
Badlands (1973)

Made me think a lot of Bonnie and Clyde, really good, but the problem I had with it is that it's kind of banalising murder, but it's not that obvious.
Blow-up (1966)

Same as 3 Women, but I think I might like this one a little more. The scene in the park when he takes pictures is absolutely beautiful, same as the part in the middle where he just watches is pictures and discover the crime. The tennis game at the end was weird, I guess I'll come to my own conclusions on the second or third viewing. Movies like that or 3 Women are movies that I will probably like more after I rewatch them.
Key Largo (1948)

Really good, entertaining movie with a great villain played by Edward G Robinson! I liked how they refer as the end of prohibition and how these gangster that were dealing alcohol in the 20's were now trying to make the prohibition come back. The things I disliked was that Lauren Bacall's character is useless and that I didn't find it to be a Film Noir (I can't blame it on the film since they didn't even know the term at that time, but I was expecting to see a film noir according to the IMDB description)
Man Bites Dogs (1992)

I see the point, but the execution was not that good for me.
Senna (2010)

I'm a fan of F1 and this movie is really showing us how much politics there was behind who actually won the championship. It also shows us the personnal and professional life of one of the greatest athletes that ever lived Ayrton Senna

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Believe It or Not #11 (No Diirector Listed, 1932)

A Murder of Crows (Rowdy Harrington, 1998)

The Red Sneakers (Gregory Hines, 2002)
+
The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg (Ernst Lubitsch, 1927)

Ramon Novarro, Norma Shearer
Judgment Day (John Terlesky, 1998)
+
Pictures of Hollis Woods (Tony Bill, 2007)

Deadfall (Christopher Coppola, 1993)

The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1972)

Margit Carstensen, Hanna Schygulla
Solo (Norberto Barba, 1996)

Waiting for Guffman (Christopher Guest, 1996)

Confidentially Connie (Edward Buzzell, 1953)

Gambit (Ronald Neame, 1966)

Herbert Lom, Michael Caine, Shirley MacLaine
Hip Moves (HPG, 2012)

X, Y and Zee (Brian G. Hutton, 1972)

Ironfinger (Jun Fukuda, 1965)

Get Carter (Mike Hodges, 1971)

Michael Caine
Bride by Mistake (Richard Wallace, 1944)

Sinbad, the Sailor (Richard Wallace, 1947)

The Yellow Cab Man (Jack Donohue, 1950)

Them aka Ils (David Moreau & Xavier Palud, 2006)
-

Olivia Bonamy