Quote of the Day

Tools    

"I started making films when I was 7 years old, when my dad was kind enough to let my brother and I use his Super 8 camera. I believe that you should work on films because you love the stories, and not because you think they will be stepping stones to bigger or better movies. Filmmaking is an unique art form because every movie is a collaborative effort involving people with different personalities and visions who are working together. As a director, I’m sort of a human lens through which everyone’s efforts are focused. A big part of my job is making decisions about how all the great talent that I’m working with blends into a single consciousness. To me, a beautifully executed film is one where the sum of all the images leaves a lasting impression. I’m optimistic about the future of the cinema because it’s a communal experience. There is a special excitement that comes from sitting with a group of strangers and watching a story that engages the imagination and transports you to another world. From the beginning, I have shot everything on film because I feel responsible for putting the best possible images on the screen.”

CHRISTOPHER JOHNATHAN JAMES NOLAN

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand"

"God watches over drunks and third basemen."

"I believe in rules. Sure I do. If there weren't any rules, how could you break them?"

"I never questioned the integrity of umpires. Their eyesight, yes."

"Some guys are admired for coming to play, as the saying goes. I prefer those who come to kill."

- Leo Durocher (Player/Manager of the Dodgers and Manager of the Cubs)

He went to sea for a day, he wanted to know what to say when he's asked what he'd done in the past to someone that he loves endlessly, now she's gone, so is he.

I went to war every morning, I lost my way but now I'm following what you said in my arms, what i read in the charms, that i love durably now it's dead and gone and i am free.

I went to sleep for the daytime, i shut my eyes to the sunshine, turned my head away from the noise, bruise and drip decay of childish toys that i loved arguably, all our labouring gone to seed.

we went out to play for the evening, wanted to hold on to the feeling and the stretch in the sun, and our breathlessness as we run to the beach endlessly, as the sun creeps up on the sea.

Lisa Hannigan

How a man plays the game shows something of his character, how he loses shows all of it. ~ Anonymous

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
Never give in! Never give in! Never, never, never, never -- in nothing great or small, large or petty. Never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense.

Winston Churchill

Fall seven times and stand up eight.

Japanese Proverb

The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way.
Some see nature all ridicule and deformity... and some scarce see nature at all.
But to the eyes of the man of imagination, nature is imagination itself.

~ William Blake ~

"Do not consider any act of kindness insignificant, even meeting your brother with a cheerful face."

"The strong man is not the good wrestler; the strong man is only the one who controls himself when he is angry."

"A man's true wealth hereafter is the good he does in this world to his fellow man."

- Muhammad

"God not only plays dice, He also sometimes throws the dice where they cannot be seen."

"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."

- Stephen Hawking

"If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself."

Kathleen Parker, a National Review online columnist and a former Palin supporter

What's the difference between best and favourite?

It's really quite simple. The best Plato quote is: "Only the dead have seen the end of war." My favourite Plato quote is "Neither has Homer, if I remember right, ever said a word about sauces."

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I'm sure this was quoted at some time around here, but one of my favorite quotes:

"I have come to the conclusion that politics are too serious a matter to be left to the politicians." - Charles De Gaulle

I am half agony, half hope.
Man is not truly one, but truly two.

All human beings ... are commingled out of good and evil.

Robert Louis Stevenson Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Johann von Goethe

When my bloodwork came back the doctor told me that I was positive. I told him thank you, I try to look at the bright side of things.

From a tv show but cannot remember the name.

The People's Republic of Clogher
A nice little quote from Bernadette Devlin, Irish civil rights activist, on hearing that a biopic is being mooted:

“The whole concept is abhorrent to me. How dare anybody make a pretend life for me while I’m still living the real one?”

It's 40 years almost to the day since that civil rights march in Derry was batoned by police. That was where The Troubles were born.

The ultimate test of man's conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard. ~ Gaylord Nelson