The End of DVDs?

Tools    

I think it will happen soon... it seems to happen not only to videos but audio as well... Remember the days when cassettes were the way people used to listen to music? Then Compact Disks (CDs) came out and took over and now they no longer make cassettes anymore. Just like that, and just like DVD taking over VHS, I have a feeling Blu-ray will take over DVD's. What do you guys think?

Well, as someone else pointed out earlier, the formats are too similar. If you'll remember the difference between audio cassette and laser disc were night and day. The clarity, and ability to skip tracks were never seen before. With blu-ray you are getting a slight improvement in clarity, which is largely dependent on your television, and looking at music as an example; look at iTunes or Mp3 players in general. Compact media storage units are the next step, logically. I'm sure blu-ray will gain in popularity, but I'm not sure if it will get footing before portable movie media storage units.

...uh the post is up there...

Banned from Hollywood.
no need to worry...i cant think of what format MIGHT take over the DVDs but i clearly dont see that happening vey soon....

so i am am thinking another 20 years of DVDs is still infront of us.

I think it will happen soon... it seems to happen not only to videos but audio as well... Remember the days when cassettes were the way people used to listen to music? Then Compact Disks (CDs) came out and took over and now they no longer make cassettes anymore. Just like that, and just like DVD taking over VHS, I have a feeling Blu-ray will take over DVD's. What do you guys think?
i sat in the next 8 years dvds will be on there last leg...

i sat in the next 8 years dvds will be on there last leg...

I can still remember in the late nineties when people would predict that dvds would become the standard within a year or so. . . It takes a while for a media to become "standard" even going from VHS to dvd. Considering that most homes do not have HD televisions and that some even rebel against the dvd format, it may be a while before blu-ray is as appealing to the average consumer as it is to early adopters.