Movie Tab II

Tools    

What films are you talkin' about, Pilgrim?
I'm just curious.

Your ratings are usually low and we are used to that, but those I mentioned in my post all got a pretty high rating from you, and they are all mainly popcorn entertainment (at least more than some others). So I was just wondering if you were particularly fond of high-entertainment flicks that's all.

Aladdin (Ron Clements and John Musker, 1992) (Rewatch)
+

Gone Girl (David Fincher, 2014) (Rewatch)
+

How To Train Your Dragon 2 (Dean Deblois, 2014) (Rewatch)

Fantasia (Norman Ferguson, James Algar, et al., 1940) (Rewatch)
+

Lilo and Stitch 2: Stitch Has A Glitch (Michael LaBash, Anthony Leondis, 2005)
+

I have noticed a pattern in mark's ratings. Most of the times it is the extremely entertaining and fun movies that gets the high rating. Looks like he really likes to have fun more than anything else, which is completely fine.

Point Break I didn't like, but I understand that people love it for the fun of it, because it is not a well written or acted movie. Love the foot chase scene though. King Kong I personally love as well, but that is also mainly high entertainment value. Gravity's weakest thing is its script and overall story, while the visuals and sound design are both stunning! So what's up mark? Why the lesser ratings to impressive and well made stories with originality?
don't see anything amiss with Mark F's rating of King Kong. remember being moved when seeing it at the theater in 2005. The giant ape is very cool and Naomi Watts is extraordinarily... shall we say, tantalizing in it as well

don't see anything amiss with Mark F's rating of King Kong. remember being moved when seeing it at the theater in 2005. The giant ape is very cool and Naomi Watts is extraordinarily... shall we say, tantalizing in it as well
Didn't say there was. That was not the point of my discussion. I personally gave King Kong a
on my IMDb page, I love it.

I'm looking forward to the new King Kong movie, it's centered on Skull Island.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Why the lesser ratings to impressive and well made stories with originality?
I wanted to know what these movies were.

The Interview (2014) - I'm not really big on comedies but enjoyed watching this one, not sure if I will see it again though. 6/10
The Drop (2014) - Didn't really like it. I thought it was predictable and too preachy and sentimental and just overall not very memorable. 3/10
Under The Skin (2014) - Loved the music in the film but I'm not a fan of surrealism and I thought the film was a bit pretentious. 3/10

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Under The Skin (2014) - Loved the music in the film but I'm not a fan of surrealism and I thought the film was a bit pretentious. 3/10
It hurts, but I still love you.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Did you see that new Polish film Ida? Gave that one 6/10 which is good in my book

What does it mean for a movie to be pretentious haha?

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I know what the word pretentious means, but I don't realy understand what it means when its applied to a movie.
Well, I'd say it to describe something like a Steve McQueen (the director, not actor) film. A film which presents itself as a series of answers, as opposed to a series of questions. What I think most people mean when they call a movie pretentious (from my experience) is that the film uses a stylistic mode that purposefully obfuscates certain conventions or narrative moments that the viewer finds unnecessary or excessive.

January so far...
At Land (Maya Deren, 1944) [Short]

Interesting artistic short, easy to see the influence on directors such as Lynch and Bergman.

The House of Small Cubes (Kunio Kato, 2008) [Short]

Subtle yet moving film that slowly builds up emotional power, great animation too.

Hotel Chevalier (Wes Anderson, 2007) [Short]

A more adult Anderson film that focusses more on human emotion, I didn't think I would like this at first, but it won me round and I felt moved by the end.

Foxcatcher (Bennett Miller, 2014)
-

Greatly made film with fantastic performances at the heart of it. Dark and intense, it has an impending sense of doom throughout. Some narrative problems as its difficult to fit in characters and themes into a narrative some times.

Out of the Past (Jacques Tourneur, 1947)

The Set-Up (Robert Wise, 1949)

The Big Combo (Joseph H. Lewis, 1955)
+

Thoughts in the Noir Hall of Fame thread for these three.

Boyhood (Richard Linklater, 2014)
+

A fantastic achievement, I can understand why some people would dislike this. Being brought up mainly by my mother and having recently left home for University, I felt really connected to this, extremely moving in its subtlety that somehow captures the wonders of human life.

Birdman (Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2014)

I wasn't sure whether I would love or hate this. Feels like a song, with the beat never stopping, fantastic performances, my favourite would be Edward Norton's very dark and funny character. Could turn into a favourite.

The Drop (Michaël R. Roskam, 2014)
+

Nice little crime film. Good performances from all involved. Very bleak and depressing though.

Chef (Jon Favreau, 2014)

A wonderful little film. A great cast that isn't overused, and seem really great feel good moments. Add to that some mouthwatering food scenes, and the best use of social media in a film I've seen, and you've got yourself a real good time.

The Interview (Evan Goldberg & Seth Rogen, 2014)
+

Funny in parts, but a lot of the laughs and repetitive jokes didn't work for me. I liked the ending though, I think I would enjoy this more with friends.

Whiplash (Damien Chazelle, 2014)
+

One note film. Sure it knows how to be powerful with certain moments, but past two performances and a message that's drummed (lol) into our head every single moment, there's not much here. The concept is good but the narrative structure is more, the relationship angle was weird too.

The Imitation Game (Morten Tyldum, 2014)
-

Absolutely filled with about every movie cliché you could imagine. But it manages to be quite moving in parts.

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Jacques Demy, 1964)

One of the most powerful, moving films I have ever seen. I love Casablanca as the male is the innocent victim who has to make hard decisions for himself, and it's imilar in here. The end was so uplifting but so heartbreaking at the same time.

The Lunch Date (Adam Davidson, 1989) [Short]

Lovely little short recommended to me by Cobpyth, shows how a successful film can be made on a simple idea. Left a smile on my face.

Bob le Flambeur (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1956)

Classic crime film with loads of fantastic elements. Loved the old central character that somehow has a lot of depth given to him in such a short amount of time, the dialogue and supporting characters are great, it's wonderfully shot, and I'm a sucker for a good heist movie.

Permanent Vacation (Jim Jarmusch, 1980)

Not much happens here but it's interesting to see where Jarmusch started out, some of the parts are interesting and feel uplifting in a personal way. I liked the focus on character, the search for 'something' and the music used.

The Sweeney (Nick Love, 2012)
-

British crime film that wasn't as bad as it could have been, but wasn't particularly good either. Far too many twists and turns, but it's shot well.

Live and Let Die (Guy Hamilton, 1973)
+

One of my guilty pleasures, this Bond film is one of the most stupid at times, but one of the best at others. Perhaps I'm underrated, it has a great Bond girl and one of my favourite endings on the train.

American Sniper (Clint Eastwood, 2014)
+

Very good film, that does a good job of portraying someone struggling with warfare. I especially enjoyed the first half, and was a bit annoyed at all the typical Hollywood bits like the villain they added to give it a clearer narrative in the second half. Extremely powerful ending, the audience sat in silence for the credits, it was like nothing I had seen before. Great direction, love the sense of control you get with Eastwood films.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Did you see that new Polish film Ida? Gave that one 6/10 which is good in my book

Nykvistian cinematography kills.

I feel a bit the same about all of Bird's films that I've seen - I like them and they have interesting themes but he doesn't explore them enough. He's more content with another action scene than to look a bit deeper into the characters. That was the issue here - too many chase scenes and not enough character development.

Also, I would have given it an extra half popcorn box but it was too long and in the last half hour I kind of lost interest.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 (2014) - Francis Lawrence

The Act of Killing (2013) - Christine Cynn/Joshua Oppenheimer

Rebel Without a Cause (1955) - Nicholas Ray

The Beastmaster (1982) - Don Coscarelli

The Haunting (1963) - Robert Wise

Cabaret (1972) - Bob Fosse

Beloved Infidel (1959) - Henry King

-

The Time of the Wolf (2003) - Michael Haneke

+

Behind Enemy Lines (2001) - John Moore

The Pianist (2002) - Roman Polanski

-

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Get On Up

This movie is fantastic. From the Main actor who portrays James Brown, to the writing, to the music, to even the way the film was structured (often in a non linear fashion, focusing on emotion rather than timeline)...Just a knock out.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/