Movie Tab II

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Adieu au langage [Goodbye to Language] (2014) -
(A spellbinding showcase of Godard's post-Histoire(s) du cinéma style. Masturbatory art you either love or hate!)
Recommended to: those, who love experimental films, fans of Godard, especially his later films and people who take genuine interest in broadly defined art.

リリイ・シュシュのすべて [All About Lily Chou-Chou] (2001) -
(A great predecessor to Love Exposure and Confessions. It shows violence, but most of it happens on the canvas of viewer's mind.)
Recommended to: everyone who doesn't mind films being Japanese and a little bit emo-ish.

Космический рейс [The Space Voyage] (1936) -
(a pussycat on the moon, a team of astronauts consisting of an old man, sexy lady and a little boy, stop-motion jumping on the moon, no-gravity sequences in the spaceship. All of these and even more in a form of Soviet silent flick from the 30's!)
Recommended to: fans of old, silent, Russian or sci-fi.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
I have not seen many films from 2014. However, from those that I did, below are my particular favourites, in no real order:

The Rover - David Michod

A chillingly elemental and minimalist slice of Australian filmmaking. It failed to resonate with audiences because it is so deceptively simple - it is no way near as thematically complex as Michod's previous work, Animal Kingdom, and this is precisely why Cannes were largely underwhelmed with it. It is a masterful exercise in mood and atmosphere, and, consequently, a remarkably straightforward film. It's also impeccably photographed, and one of the few Australian films of the last few years that was shot on 35mm photochemical film. And that is precisely what you needed to capture the stark, unforgiving, yet oddly alluring outback of the Australian outback. It's really beautiful.

The Grand Budapest Hotel - Wes Anderson

I am hardly a fan of Anderson's work, but this has to be one of the most technically well-crafted American films of the last ten years. From the the vibrant, vivid colours to the flawless composition and framing to the perceptive and detailed art design, and all the way down to the the witty, fast-paced screenplay, and beautiful cinematography. It also has an extremely impressive cast, lead by the criminally overlooked Ralph Fiennes.

Whiplash - Damien Chazelle

This is truly an intense, fervent slice of filmmaking. It transforms jazz into a ruthless bloodsport. The towering screen presence of Teller and Simmons place aside, this film has to be one of the best, purely from an editorial standpoint, in quite some time. This is how you build a sense of inexorable anxiety and strain - each cut just nervously adding to the next. So often throughout the viewing it felt like you were behind the drums, in Andrew's position, anxiously playing whilst Fletcher was stalking each and every auditory note, ready to pounce in vexation if you blundered. And the use of sound was impeccable - who would've thought jazz music could be so fanatical and daunting when placed in this context? A masterpiece, for sure.

Boyhood - Richard Linklater

This is when experimentation pays off. It's a restrained, careful, and human work, never becoming too exploitive with its 12-year concept nor coming across as overly-gimmicky and showy. It's a difficult film to dislike because it has so much scope - everyone can relate to this film on some level, and it never becomes too extravagant, conceptually, and this is why I think it has resonated with such a mass audience. I wouldn't put this up there as a favourite and I don't even think it's Linklater's best, but there's no denying it's a wonderful film - it has the humanity of an Ozu film and a very European-orientated sensibility, as the pacing and overall structure of the film felt rather reminiscent to something Ingmar Bergman would have conjured up.

Nightcrawler - Dan Gilroy

This is one of the most uncompromisingly salient American films of recent times. Not only a shatteringly insightful look into the ostensibly questionable merit of contemporary journalism, but, on a much larger level, an aggressive denunciation of the corporatist, capitalist model. It's a work that fundamentally demonstrates how unprincipled our system has become, and how we can grant enterprise and opportunities to businesses that run on depraved and venal convictions. Moreover, Jake Gyllenhaal delivers one of the most impressive and focused performances of the last few years. Elswit's beautiful nighttime photography and Gilroy's slick writing, direction, and pacing are all noteworthy points, too. It's also a remarkably edited feature. An instantly recommendable film, if not for its radical political subtext and postulations but for its sheer intensity and drama.

Foxcatcher - Bennett Miller

Technically adept filmmaking, no matter which way you look it. It has a very bleached out visual aesthetic - it's masterfully shot, but not in your conventionally expected way. It's such a complete work; from photography to editing, to acting to sound, to storytelling to direction - it excels in all of the aforementioned components and exceedingly so. The performances are toweringly good, and as some may give all the attention to Carell (who was, yes, remarkable), I personally believe Ruffalo stole the show. This is a work I admire the more I think about it. As we know, it's a real life tragedy, and it could have easily fell victim to overwrought sentimentality and cliches. But Miller approached it with a restrained and observant sensibility, never letting exposition get in the way.

I also enjoyed large-scale science fiction projects like Interstellar and Edge of Tomorrow. Smaller-scale productions like Joe and Blue Ruin were rather good, as well. The Babadook was also up there for contention as a favourite - one of the more fresh and original horror works of the last decade. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

Wolf of Wall Street

Recent Watches:
The Innocents (Clayton, 1961)-

The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese, 2013)-
+
The Grand Budapest Hotel (Wes Anderson, 2014)-

The Village (Shyamalan, 2004)-

Devil's Knot (Egoyan, 2013)-

Che: Part One (Soderbergh, 2008)-

Neighbors (Stoller, 2014)-
-
Bill Burr: I'm Sorry You Feel that Way (Stand-Up)-

Animal Crackers (Heerman/ Marx Brothers, 1930)-

Short Films:
Time Travel Lover-
-
At Land-

Hotel Chevalier-

The House of Small Cubes-
+

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Some thoughts on The Initiation Game, mark? I'm slightly surprised to see you rate it so highly.
Yeah, I noticed that you and Thursday weren't that impressed. I thought it was a handsome production with plenty of suspense, whether it was old-fashioned or altered from history. The combo of personal drama and important world story was more cinematic and affecting to me than The Theory of Everything. Hence, the higher rating.

Tamara (Jeremy Haft, 2005)

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Peter Jackson, 2014)
+
Six Ways to Sunday (Adam Bernstein, 1997)
-
Big Hero 6 (Don Hall & Chris Williams, 2014)

A computer design wizard (voice of Ryan Potter) tries to build a better super hero and gather together a group of friends to battle the thief of his earlier-created technology.
The Year of the Cannibals (Liliana Cavani, 1970)
-
Alien Resurrection (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 1997)

Triggermen (John Bradshaw, 2002)

The Big Country (William Wyler, 1958)
+

Texas ranch foreman Charlton Heston and Eastern ship captain Gregory Peck become rivals for the ranch owner's daughter Carroll Baker, the captain's fiancee.
Miami Connection (Richard Park, 1987)

Forced Vengeance (James Fargo, 1982)

Mad Hot Ballroom (Marilyn Agrelo, 2005)
-
Annie Hall (Woody Allen, 1977)

Writer/comic Woody Allen imagines how his fellow elementary students turned out.
Hanging for Django (Sergio Garrone, 1969)

Love Is Strange (Ira Sachs, 2014)
-
The Human Scale (Andreas Dalsgaard, 2012)

Inherent Vice (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2014)

Private investigator Joaquin Phoenix keeps going in and out of a fog, sometimes literally, in a California beach town in 1970.
Listen Up Philip (Alex Ross Perry, 2014)

Pride (Matthew Warchus, 2014)
+
Gidget Goes to Rome (Peul Wendkos, 1963)

Leviathan (Andrey Zvyagintsev, 2014)

Some friends have fun at target practice, planning to take aim at Russian and Soviet leaders of the past, but two of them face overwhelming odds against the power of the local bureaucracy.

Sad to see such a mixed response from the people who've seen Inherent Vice. I'm still hoping that I'll love it but seeing others' reactions and knowing my own history with PTA films, I'm really starting to have my doubts.

I like Inherent Vice a whole lot. Very, very funny.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I like Inherent Vice a whole lot. Very, very funny.
We need a review from you, Holden!

@Mark: Did you watch a screener of Inherent Vice? If so, was it good quality? I'm definitely going to watch it in the theater, but I wouldn't mind taking a quick look at it at home first if the quality is good.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yes, it looked good. As far as the movie itself, I was giggling often, but I thought it was way too long to sustain interest in the "plot" and in truth, wasn't crazy enough to capitalize on all the black comedy film noir elements. Yes, Daniel, I was reminded of a more-bloated The Long Goodbye.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Ipcress File (1965)
I suspect this was a big part of the inspiration for Austin Powers. Interesting and at times hilarious period detail. Silly fake blood and daft plots, but the ending was quite good.

Coraline (2009)
I didn't enjoy this as much as I'd hoped to but I'm willing to allow that I didn't give it as much attention as I should have. Quite a good dark moral fable for kids.

Django Unchained (2012)
Restraint is sadly a word no longer in Quentin Tarantino's vocabulary. Watching any of his films post-Jackie Brown is like watching a film written by a 12 year old with a fondness for fountains of blood and explosions. Waltz was good. Foxx was good. The hotch-potch of music didn't work at all. Disappointingly uneven in tone, with none of the visual beauty of Inglourious Basterds but a lot of the same problems.
+

Birdman (2014)
See my review in the Birdman review thread

The Zero Theorem (2013)
I... don't know? I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either. There was a lot of weird for the sake of weird, some of it worked, some of it didn't.

Arietty (2010)
Decent anime adaptation of The Borrowers, a quiet, sad sort of film.

35 Shots of Rum (2008)
I liked that this was a quiet, slice-of-life sort of film, but at the same time I think it suffered from being a bit too quiet and inscrutable, we don't quite get to know these characters enough. And the bit with the dead cat was just plain weird.

Watching any of his films post-Jackie Brown is like watching a film written by a 12 year old
A 12-year-old genius!

The boyish enthusiasm with which Tarantino approaches his films is one of the biggest reasons why he's one of my favorite directors. I get what Thursday Next is saying, but it doesn't bother me that Tarantino is still making the kind of films that he obviously fantasized about as a teenage boy. He's a 51-year-old man with teenage sensibilities. I'm a 27-year-old with teenage sensibilities. Gleeful violence is fun. Explosions are cool. Car chases are thrilling. Kung-fu fights are exciting. I'm glad that QT hasn't forgotten what he enjoyed as a boy and that he still inserts those elements into his films instead of pretending to be overly sophisticated and wagging his finger disapprovingly at such so-called childish antics. He's basically Tom Hanks in Big, except instead of making toys, he makes films. Some may look at that as a criticism, but, in my opinion, that quality is one of QT's strongest, most endearing traits.

I agree with CS about Tarantino in general, but I agree with Thursday about Django Unchained specifically. I was shocked that it was met with as much positivity (more, in some senses) than Basterds. I think it's a vastly inferior film (but then, I'm head-over-heels for Basterds), and a bit of a letdown given the kind of quality I've come to expect from the man.

I think that the majority of Quentin Tarantino fans think that Inglourious Basterds is better, including me. I think the people that dislike that film, and why it didn't do as well critically were slightly confused with its overall tone and comic style story set during the war, I think now people are coming to realise it as a bit of a masterpiece.