Her

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The poster for Her is great. I love it.

Want to see a crap poster?

I hope this photoshop guy was fired.

Suspect's Reviews

I'm not sure, but I think the point of that poster is that they're supposed to look old.

I couldn't tell.

Their faces look awful, but I love the font of the text above them.

I don't think it's that bad. Kind of sexy, even.

A unique and appropriate take on the intelligent capability of artificial intelligence. Proof that love is not limited by physical form. This Spike Jonze joint is rolled thick with humorous, beautiful, intelligent dialogue. This film is sure to tickle your eye sockets to the point of tears and then make you smile and chuckle to stabilize your emotions. Marvelous acting and the cinematography can be quite pretty at times. Story and plot are very original and unique to the era we are entering. A truly rare kind of love story.

10/10

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I don't really understand why so many seem to get stuck on the premise? In this age of catfishing and Manti Te'o, clearly the idea of somebody falling in love with an online presence is already happening, right now, today. That it could take that next step and be someone, not who just turned out not to be "real" as a surprise but in fact starts out as not a real, physical person, hardly seems like that big a leap, to me, nor Science Fiction.
That's a really good point. Even with a real live person right in front of you people sometimes recreate them in their mind so that the person they are in love with is not exactly "real" in the way they perceive them.

One of the things I wondered about watching Her was wether Theo was in love with Samantha because she was Samantha or if it was because (at least for awhile) she was exactly everything he needed her to be.

I think Her did an excellent job of having us ask ourselves what makes us fall in love with who we fall in love with and what do we get or need from that love? By having it be a love story between someone who is and and another that isn't human it is easier to explore these things.

I think Her did an excellent job of having us ask ourselves what makes us fall in love with who we fall in love with and what do we get or need from that love? By having it be a love story between someone who is and and another that isn't human it is easier to explore these things.
But what was the answer? If the question is, "What do we get out of love?" -- what was Her's answer?

Change? A new experience? A deepening of ourselves? Happiness? Relief from pain? A new outlook on life?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
But what was the answer? If the question is, "What do we get out of love?" -- what was Her's answer?

Change? A new experience? A deepening of ourselves? Happiness? Relief from pain? A new outlook on life?
Does it have to provide us one? Or simply ask the question itself?

Does it have to provide us one? Or simply ask the question itself?
It would be nice if there was an answer instead of just being flaky and asking a question and then leaving the room.

I mean, I could make a movie and ask the question, "Should you run a beauty contest for pigs?" Is it worth it just to make that movie and ask that question, but not give an answer?

I mean, I could make a movie and ask the question, "Should you run a beauty contest for pigs?" Is it worth it just to make that movie and ask that question, but not give an answer?
You should try and get in touch with Micheal Bay about this one.

Has anyone read this article? http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...dict-sex-phone

I did shiver a bit when the writer said "we feminists". Can anyone call themselves a feminist, or appropriate all feminists? The article does have some interesting interpretations though. As for the film's relation to Lost in Translation, I haven't seen Her but apart from both having Scarlett Johansson in, don't they explore urban alienation and a private fantasy 'relationship' that will never be consummated?

One point though. Everybody's is saying about how he just falls in love with this disembodied voice, but it ain't just any voice, is it? It's the very beautiful Scarlett Johansson.

As for the film's relation to Lost in Translation, I haven't seen Her but apart from both having Scarlett Johansson in, don't they explore urban alienation and a private fantasy 'relationship' that will never be consummated?
Yeah those similarities are there, but I certainly didn't think of Her when I watched Lost in Translation. I think moreso people are reaching for similarties that only exist in a very superficial way because the movie is quite unlike anything else they've seen.

One point though. Everybody's is saying about how he just falls in love with this disembodied voice, but it ain't just any voice, is it? It's the very beautiful Scarlett Johansson.
There's way more to it than that. And there's a reason why she has no body - so that she can be whatever Theodore's ideal woman would be. His mind can project whatever it wants. That's why she doesn't interact using an avatar. She does attempt to give herself a body at one point, with disastrous effects.

Hey Spike, how's the waifu????

"Her' is the type of movie that doesn't invite ambivalence; you either love it or ..um...you don't. It's numbingly slow, boring most of the time and pretty stupid.

It had some good things, like the premise, which extrapolates from our already cyber-obsessed society to the near future. Here, people are even more disconnected from each other, to the point where computers and gadgets offer an emotional substitute. Interesting and could've been good.

So lonely nice guy Theodore gets himself an OS for companionship. I'm thinking Scarlett's showing up in his apt as a saucy, android wench, fulsome lips and bosom at the ready. But no, she's just a computer program ... cold shower, Theo. She speaks though - and not like the robot from Lost in Space - but all breathy, giggly, half drunk, almost post-coital.
And what a gal she/it is! Funny, caring, non-judgemental, bawdy and helpful ... suddenly, just like that! The perfect girlfriend. Trouble is, in order to convince us that it's possible for Theo to fall in love with 'Samantha' without the physical er, component, much talking between the two was required. And boy, did they talk and talk ... and talk. Did doze off a bit.

So I understand now that this is a 'deep' movie; it's telling me that love conquers all, surpasses everything, including sexual urges, so no need for Theo to put his penis in a socket. What a load!

Then comes a lot of dumb stuff: the masturbation scene, where Theo gets his hard drive up and nuts n' bolts Samantha actually 'climaxes.' Hahaha. Surely this would've been a good time for Sam to say "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that."
The ridiculous double date with the human couple - 3 mammals and a chip romping in the meadow! Not wishing to be cyberphobic or specist or anything.

Sick of masturbating and replacing semen-damaged USB's, Theo dumps Sam for a while. She's hurt, but understanding, as always. Then, seeing nothing's happening with Amy Adams, he misses chipchick and wants her back, being the total invertebrate he is. But in the meantime, Sam's been hitting the singles scene with her built-in internet dating site ... 'Seeking Same.'
She ends up playing around with a few thousand other computers - now that's just promiscuous!
So they split up ... and who cares?!

Weirdo Wahkin Phoenix put in a v. good performance, mostly because he could keep a straight face. The nondescript Amy Adams was surprisingly good, too, and it was an inspired choice to cast Johansson as the voice. Even though we couldn't see her, with that husky, slutty voice, da boiz can visualise her, loping around, pouting, whispering "byte me."
Somehow, I don't think the 'love conquers all' theme would've worked if Fran Drescher did the voice.

This film took a cool concept and made it boring, tiresome and silly. Fellas, stick to the hookers; they may not be as caring, but they still function when wet.

Spoiler alert: Hell hath no fury like a laptop scorned 5 outta 10

scarlet jo makes me feel all fuzzy. and if there are surrogates involved where you're actually having sex? and you could maybe switch surrogates every so often? and this only lasts a few months let's say (inevitable break up). come on son(s).