Best Robot Movie

Tools    

My vote has to go to The Terminator. Which movie, I'll have to say the second film.

A system of cells interlinked
Blade Runner, of course. Although, The replicants aren't really robots, per se. I love everything about this film, from the (still today) unmatched production design, to the performances, to the excellent and incredibly deep screenplay by Fancher/Webb Peoples. As for the "80s mist", I am not sure exactly what you mean. It is raining all the time and pollution is rampant. Blade Runner created an entire genre (Tech-noir), as far as I am concerned. I don't know, I can't sit here and explain why I like it so much, or why I feel it is one of the best films ever made. I must ask, though, how many times have you seen the film, Chris? I actually didn't like Blade Runner the first time I saw it. Only after subsequent viewings did its magnificence reveal itself to me.

Ridley's maniacal attention to detail in set-design (yes, he had a huge part in the set design, as well as the direction) is mind-boggling. The parking meters have instructions on them, for instance, something that couldn't possibly ever read properly on camera. The guy made the world of BR come alive, and he fleshed it out with legendary characters, subtle yet deep philosophy, and tiny origami chickens. Gotta have chickens, man!

Anyway, I love so many little things about the movie. For instance, when Rachel is getting VK'ed by decker, she lights a smoke. I LOVE this little bit of film. She has these little mannerisms and expressions that I just love. Then she takes a drag and exhales and the smoke encircles her in the dim light.... so good. One of my favorite sequences in film, ever, and it's so minor and subtle.

Anyway, I choose Blade Runner.

How about the three drones in Silent Running? Didn't Bruce Dern's character dub them Huey, Dewey, and Louie, or was that in The Black Hole?

Figured the Star Wars saga would hold the record on robots, both the adorable and the menacing. Personally, I prefer the androids of Blade Runner to robots.

In Heaven Everything Is Fine
How about Rocky IV?

"Happy Birthday, Paulie."

I loved Short Circuit as a kid and I'd still watch it if I knew it was going to be on. After that T2 and Robocop do it for me.

How about the three drones in Silent Running? Didn't Bruce Dern's character dub them Huey, Dewey, and Louie, or was that in The Black Hole?
It was Silent Running, which I own. Thing is, I cannot STAND the Joan Baez stuff in the film. At this point, the music makes it tough for me to get through this. These are great 'bots though...

Blade Runner, of course. Although, The replicants aren't really robots, per se. I love everything about this film, from the (still today) unmatched production design, to the performances, to the excellent and incredibly deep screenplay by Fancher/Webb Peoples. As for the "80s mist", I am not sure exactly what you mean. It is raining all the time and pollution is rampant.
Oh, I'm not denying that some of it is intentional, or part of the story, even. But I find it difficult to see much through large portions of the film, as evidenced in the images I posted on the last page. The entire film has this humid, murky, fleshy look to it, all of which is very Alien in terms of feel. Lots of mist and steam and sweat, to the point where I find the whole thing kind of amusing.

Anyway, for a film which relies so much on its visuals, anything which obscures them is bound to be a little frustrating. More power to anyone who likes it, of course. Just one of those beats I can't entirely groove to.

Blade Runner created an entire genre (Tech-noir), as far as I am concerned. I don't know, I can't sit here and explain why I like it so much, or why I feel it is one of the best films ever made. I must ask, though, how many times have you seen the film, Chris? I actually didn't like Blade Runner the first time I saw it. Only after subsequent viewings did its magnificence reveal itself to me.
I've only seen it once, so it's entirely possible I'd enjoy it more another time around.

Anyway, for a film which relies so much on its visuals, anything which obscures them is bound to be a little frustrating. More power to anyone who likes it, of course. Just one of those beats I can't entirely groove to.

I've only seen it once, so it's entirely possible I'd enjoy it more another time around.
Ah, yes. I take it you watched the previous DVD release, which is IMO, the worst DVD transfer ever. Worse than any VCR tape I own. So, track down the crisp new transfer, and give it another go. I think, visually, you will see a marked improvement.

It was Silent Running, which I own. Thing is, I cannot STAND the Joan Baez stuff in the film. At this point, the music makes it tough for me to get through this. These are great 'bots though...
It's been a loooong time since I last viewed Silent Running, so I have no memory of whatever contribution Joan Baez made to that film. The film's strong point for me has always been Bruce Dern.

I have to return some videotapes.
I've only seen [Bladerunner] once, so it's entirely possible I'd enjoy it more another time around.
I had watched the film once before and then happened to watch it again during a Greek Mythology course in college. It was pretty intereseting watching it with the knowledge of the parallels between the two in mind. I was hooked with the film from that point on...

Terminator for me. Then I-Robot. Then 3rd place goes to cute little Short Circuit. Awwwww

I have not yet but very much plan to catch 'Bicentennial Man'.