The Upgrade Bug Report Thread

Tools    

Thanks. Can you do me a favor and drop me a profile comment as soon as you notice it's "fixed" again? I think this little window between when it's right and when it's not is probably the key.

Why is it that my font (default Arial 3) in my post, often looks bigger than everyone elses?

An example

My last post on Miss Vicky's thread, the font looks bigger, I double checked and it's Arial 3

Oh, I never knew that. What I did was copy and paste the movie title that was in size 7 and reduced it. Thanks for checking that out. That happens to me all the time and I wondered if anyone else could see it too? I guess they can.

Update: I got it changed back, thanks

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
What's this business????
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 5.20.18 PM.png
Views:	37
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	28644  

Suspect's Reviews

Okay, should be good now.

Little freaked out by that one, because I don't recall changing the thing that caused that at all. Got me wondering if I changed something while working on this new stuff, though I'm not sure how.

Anyway, let me know if everything looks right, and if you run into any more problems, naturally. Thanks.

Not a bug report...but I didn't know where else to ask this:

Every time I change my avatar, I upload an image that is sharp...but when it gets to MoFo as my avatar it appears soft and slightly blurry.

Is this because of compression? Is there a better file type to upload other than jpg? That's what I use. What else can I do so my avatar doesn't look so soft (size? resolution? file type? or?)

If your avatar is above the maximum height or width (either), it'll resize it automatically. I wouldn't imagine it would lose too much quality this way, but maybe I'm wrong. If you want to avoid that, just resize it first (110x90, I believe) and it'll take it as-is without resizing.

And JPG is usually the best for real life photos, yeah.

Jpg are infamous for being crap quality... they gain a lot of digital noise when moved from device to device. They're known as Lossy Compression.
Transferring a copy of a jpg from your computer to a server (MoFo, Photobucket etc), or if you open the image in Photoshop and do nothing to it at all, but tell Photoshop to save the image again anyway, the image will always look worse afterward because of the fact that jpg is a crap format.

Best thing to do when saving an image to your computer, is to save it as a Bitmap (BMP) or a Portable Networks Graphic (PNG). Personally I always use BMP.
BMP and PNG are Lossless formats, and don't pick up noise and go crappy when exchanged between devices, and you can edit over and over and over... move it between devices as much as you want... and they never lose quality.

MoFo uses a file size policy for avatars... so you might want to try getting an image from the web, save it as BMP, then stick it in Photoshop for editing into an avatar, and save the new avatar image as a PNG.
PNG is a smaller file size than BMP, so MoFo should hopefully allow it to be uploaded as an avatar.

Just did a quick tester... MoFo does allow PNG, just keep an eye on the file size in terms of KB.
PNG will not go fuzzy, grainy, or lose quality.

Jpg are infamous for being crap quality... they gain a lot of digital noise when moved from device to device. They're known as Lossy Compression.
Transferring a copy of a jpg from your computer to a server (MoFo, Photobucket etc), or if you open the image in Photoshop and do nothing to it at all, but tell Photoshop to save the image again anyway, the image will always look worse afterward because of the fact that jpg is a crap format.

Best thing to do when saving an image to your computer, is to save it as a Bitmap (BMP) or a Portable Networks Graphic (PNG). Personally I always use BMP.
BMP and PNG are Lossless formats, and don't pick up noise and go crappy when exchanged between devices, and you can edit over and over and over... move it between devices as much as you want... and they never lose quality.

MoFo uses a file size policy for avatars... so you might want to try getting an image from the web, save it as BMP, then stick it in Photoshop for editing into an avatar, and save the new avatar image as a PNG.
PNG is a smaller file size than BMP, so MoFo should hopefully allow it to be uploaded as an avatar.
Excellent! I will try that. I also have this problem at other sites. I will upload my jpgs, that I've spent a long time working on, and they look great on my computer but when they get to that site they look blurry, like they were taken with a disposable camera I'll take you advice and post back on how it goes.

Just cleared out my top ten and every entry was duplicated when I went into edit meaning I had to 'X 20 movies - thought I'd mention it in case it was in any way connected to the recent Oscar Picks thing involving doubling that was fixed last week.

Just in case it makes any difference to what code might be used: I went in via Edit Favourites from my profile as opposed to from the User CP.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
There's been many times on the "LIST" after I click on a movie I just saw (or saw before) I click "Save List" and then a few weeks later, same thing.

Just cleared out my top ten and every entry was duplicated when I went into edit meaning I had to 'X 20 movies - thought I'd mention it in case it was in any way connected to the recent Oscar Picks thing involving doubling that was fixed last week.

Just in case it makes any difference to what code might be used: I went in via Edit Favourites from my profile as opposed to from the User CP.
I'll PM you tomorrow, if that's okay, to try to debug by getting more specifics. But if and when this happens, screenshots would help a lot, if you think of it.

There's been many times on the "LIST" after I click on a movie I just saw (or saw before) I click "Save List" and then a few weeks later, same thing.
Not sure what you mean: that a few weeks later, it's unchecked, or that you get duplicates, like Chypmunk mentioned?

Either way, it is very hard to fix these things after the fact. I can be a much bigger help if they're reported when they happen.

I'll PM you tomorrow, if that's okay, to try to debug by getting more specifics. But if and when this happens, screenshots would help a lot, if you think of it.
I'll try and see if I can recreate it and grab a screenshot, sorry for not thinking of that at the time.

update: It's not recreated itself in a few tries Yoda so perhaps just leave it as a once-off anomaly for now and I'll keep it in mind so if it does recur I'll not only take a screenshot but also try to note what the last few actions on site have been in case they have some bearing too.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I try to update my lists every few weeks. Some remain unchecked.

Today I noticed 5-6 movies that I'm sure I checked (and saved) before. It's been 20 minutes since, I'll check again right now.