Favorite Albums of 2010

Tools    

Heligoland - Massive Attack
Victorian America - Emily Jane White
Where Did The Night Fall - UNKLE
Crazy For You - Best Coast

These aren't my absolutely favorites since its still too soon for me to name them. I have really high hopes though on Gil Scott-Heron's I'm New Here and Chemical Brothers' Further, which I'm yet to listen, like many many other albums.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - Social Network Soundtrack
Wu Tang vs The Beatles - Enter the Magical Mystery Chambers
Nas + Damien Marley - Distant Relatives
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Operation Paralysis
Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles II
The Black Keys - Brothers
Yeasayer - Odd Blood
Zola Jesus - Stridulum 2
Plan B - The Defamation of Strickland Banks
Deftones - Diamond Eyes
Mike Patton - Mondo Cane
UNKLE - Where Did the Night Fall

I highly doubt anyone in here knows these guys but whatever:
  • Caribou - Swim
  • Shed - The Traveller
  • Pantha du Prince - Black Noise
  • Matthew Dear - Black City
  • Four Tet - There Is Love In You
And some guys that you should know:
  • Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
  • MGMT - Congratulations
  • Vampire Weekend - Contra
  • Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
  • Big Boi - Sir Licious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty
  • LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening

Agalloch - Marrow Of The Spirit
Janelle Monae - ArchAndroid
Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here
Alcest - Ecailles De Lune
Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones
Ihsahn - After
Brendan Perry - Ark
Grinderman - 2
Les Discrets - Septembre et Ses Dernieres Pensees
Mike Patton - Mondo Cane
Sigh - Scenes From Hell
Pensees Nocturnes - Grotesque
Current 93 - Baalstorm, Sing Omega
Belle And Sebastien - Write About Love
Rotting Christ - Aealo
Swans - My Father Will Guide Me Up On A Rope To The Sky
How To Dress Well - Love Remains
Nick Cave And Warren Ellis - The Road Soundtrack
Clint Mansell - Black Swan Soundtrack

Opposite Of Good:

Circa Survive - Blue Sky Noise
Dark Tranquillity - We Are The Void
Iron Maiden - Final Frontier
Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record
Rosetta - A Determinism Of Morality
Deftones - Diamond Eyes
Stargazer - A Great Work Of Ages
Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
The National - High Violet
Arcade Fire - Suburbs
Immolation - Majesty And Decay
Barren Earth - The Curse Of The Red River
Lantlos - Neon
The Tallest Man On Earth - The Wild Hunt

Would do a bigass post with pics and write ups but I'm super busy. Maybe later

So, you think black metal is actually... good? I don't even think of it as a music genre, just a bunch of dudes abusing their instruments and one guy who sounds like a screaming, really angry version of Bale's batman. I once saw what people did at black metal shows and got the hell outta there asap, passing by a chick whose face was covered by piercings in such a way that there was more metal visible than skin. Yeah...

Actually, I think these are the only new releases I bought in 2010. I no longer buy albums by artists that are not already established favorites, as I'm too often disappointed with them.

For older stuff that I heard for the first time last year, I also listened to Pray For Smurph (Gary Panter) and Deep Breakfast (Ray Lynch) a lot.

Well based on your immense background on the topic I should probably just take your word for it, let alone the fact that there is no black metal in my list
Sure you know the genres you listen to? A buddy of mine is into hardcore and black metal (and all crap related), has a T-shirt of Deathspell Omega and when I asked what horrible band it referred to, he described them as black metal. I just listened to some of their stuff on YouTube (well, 20 seconds was all I could stand) and sounds pretty much like black metal to me. I also checked numerous websites, they all call them a black metal band...

Also Enslaved and Ihsahn are black metal.There's some other metal on there. I don't discriminate when it comes to my disliking of metal, there are however various degrees of bad. Black metal has to be classified as unspeakably bad.

Still, to each their own.

Deathspell Omega have black elements, them being guitar tone and blast beats, but that's about it. Enslaved is a prog band now and has been for years, Ihsahn's old band Emperor were black metal, but his solo records are prog. You know nothing of which you speak. I don't feel the need to defend black metal anyway because you either get it or you don't, you either train your ears to hear production as an instrument or you limit yourself. Nothing HAS TO BE classified as unspeakably bad, especially when the classification comes from someone with absolutely no knowledge about metal in general let alone the sub-genre he speaks of.

There's some other metal on there.
What a keen observation. There's also non-metal on there! Also based on the bands you thought were black metal it's clear you don't believe in bands ever evolving their sound, which makes me pity whatever bands you listen to.

Nah, you don't need to defend black metal or metal in general to me. That would be chasing a hopeless cause, you'd never even get me to consider your arguments. Metal is the only music genre I've no love for. I even listen to some industrial noise which is insane stuff.

I also don't see why you need knowledge of something to think it's unspeakably bad. I've listened to some of it, it sounded like ***** to me, therefore I classify it as bad.

And there's no need to pity the bands I listen to. Much like myself, they don't give two sh!ts about your pity.

Some I adore that, I think, were released in 2010:

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz
Nas & Damien Marley - Distant Relatives
Marina And The Diamonds – The Family Jewels
Kylesa - Spiral Shadow
Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
Klaxons – Surfing The Void
The Social Network - Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross
Tron Legacy - Daft Punk
Pulled Apart By Horses – Pulled Apart By Horses
MIA - Maya