The MoFo Top 100 Film Noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I've seen Panic in the Streets, but like so many other movies it was years and years ago. I can remember liking it, especially the interesting idea of a noir that's fighting against time to stop a pneumonia plaque.

I watched Dangerous Crossing in prep for this countdown and wrote about it in the Noirvember 2024 thread. I previously wrote this:

Dangerous Crossing (1953)

A wealthy bride boards an ocean liner with her new husband on their honeymoon...But before the champagne can be uncorked, the groom disappears. As she frantically searches the ship for him, the crew begins to suspect she's delusional, as no one has seen the man she claimed boarded the ship with her
...CR

Ohh, this one was so fun! Clocking in at only 75 minutes, this taunt mystery-noir kept me on my toes...I was glued to the TV set and not only because Jeanne Crain is so lovely but because the script was so well thought out and the mystery played out quite logically with several different outcomes seemingly possible. Michael Rennie as the handsome ship's doctor who tries to comfort Jeanne Crane.

Haven't seen Panic in the Streets or Dangerous Crossing yet. Does the entire film take place on the ocean liner? And is it shot in studio or on location/the ocean?

SEEN 0/4
BALLOT 0/25
John-Connor's Film-Noir Top 50:  

Another 0 for 2 for me. I probably should have watched Panic in the Streets back when The Next Picture Show covered it, but... well, it's not the only movie I missed (but still listened to the episode).

Dangerous Crossing's title sounds familiar, but I don't know where from. One of those, did I see it on a list of noir films or, and I'm going to keep wondering this on almost every entry, "was it one of the movies mentioned when I listened to the audio book of either Crying of Lot 49 or Inherent Vice way back when?"
Reading the plot it sounds like a similar premise to both
WARNING: spoilers below
Bunny Lake is Missing and The Lady Vanishes. I greatly prefer the first one.

...Dangerous Crossing yet. Does the entire film take place on the ocean liner? And is it shot in studio or on location/the ocean?
Studio sets with some stock footage of the ocean and the ship. You can always tell if an ocean liner in a movie is a set because ship cabin's aren't that big and the hallways aren't that wide!

The name of the ship is never mentioned. It is variously represented in stock footage of the Île-de-France, the Queen Mary and by a Fox Studio, Titanic model modified to have only three funnels.

Dangerous Crossing

Ohh, this one was so fun! Clocking in at only 75 minutes, this taunt mystery-noir kept me on my toes...I was glued to the TV set and not only because Jeanne Crain is so lovely but because the script was so well thought out and the mystery played out quite logically with several different outcomes seemingly possible. Michael Rennie as the handsome ship's doctor who tries to comfort Jeanne Crane.

I totally agree! I absolutely LOVE this movie -- where I live, there's a channel that shows this every few weeks, and I'm riveted every time. I love how Jeanne Crane plays it, she really makes you start to doubt her story almost as much as the others do.

This one was #5 on my list, and the only reason why it wasn't higher was I thought some of the other films on my list were better films -- but this is one I could watch over and over again and enjoy it every time.

Dangerous Crossing

I totally agree! I absolutely LOVE this movie -- where I live, there's a channel that shows this every few weeks, and I'm riveted every time. I love how Jeanne Crane plays it, she really makes you start to doubt her story almost as much as the others do.

This one was #5 on my list, and the only reason why it wasn't higher was I thought some of the other films on my list were better films -- but this is one I could watch over and over again and enjoy it every time.
I'm glad you voted for Dangerous Crossing otherwise it wouldn't have made the countdown. I know of two other film noirs set on ocean liner ships Between Two Worlds (1944) and The Hairy Ape (1944) both good films. I can think of another one, but can't remember the title?

I've seen Panic in the Streets - it was a while back but I did like it. I think it was actually a rare recommendation from my dad! Those usually only involve old TV shows.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Panic in the Streets was towards the bottom of my ballot.

In between Elia Kazan’s Oscar-winning triumphs of Gentleman’s Agreement (1947) and A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) he made this cracking good Noir-ish thriller shot wonderfully on location in New Orleans, LA. A couple of low-level murderous hoods Blackie and Fitch, a perfectly cast Jack Palance and Zero Mostel, are unknowingly carrying pneumonic plague around the seedier parts of town, tracked by Richard Widmark’s Public Health officer and Paul Douglas’ Police Captain who are trying to prevent an outbreak. The criminals don’t realize exactly why so much heat is coming down on them, but the race to find them is on.

Yes, it gets a tad melodramatic here and there, but the filmmaking and cast rise above it, building to a fantastic climax. Widmark played more heavies than good guys, especially in that early phase of his career. Several of those dark types will almost surely place here, but his intensity works well with Douglas’ weary cop and the real stars are Mostel and Palance. It’s just too much fun to leave off of my ballot. I had it at number twenty-two, good for only four of its 22 points, but it was enough to sneak it onto the bottom of the list so I’ll take it!

HOLDEN'S BALLOT
22. Panic in the Streets (#98)
25. The Crimson Kimono (DNP)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Panic in the Streets was towards the bottom of my ballot.

In between Elia Kazan’s Oscar-winning triumphs of Gentleman’s Agreement (1947) and A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) he made this cracking good Noir-ish thriller shot wonderfully on location in New Orleans, LA. A couple of low-level murderous hoods Blackie and Fitch, a perfectly cast Jack Palance and Zero Mostel, are unknowingly carrying pneumonic plague around the seedier parts of town, tracked by Richard Widmark’s Public Health officer and Paul Douglas’ Police Captain who are trying to prevent an outbreak. The criminals don’t realize exactly why so much heat is coming down on them, but the race to find them is on.

Yes, it gets a tad melodramatic here and there, but the filmmaking and cast rise above it, building to a fantastic climax. Widmark played more heavies than good guys, especially in that early phase of his career. Several of those dark types will almost surely place here, but his intensity works well with Douglas’ weary cop and the real stars are Mostel and Palance. It’s just too much fun to leave off of my ballot. I had it at number twenty-two, good for only four of its 22 points, but it was enough to sneak it onto the bottom of the list so I’ll take it!

HOLDEN'S BALLOT
22. Panic in the Streets (#98)
25. The Crimson Kimono (DNP)
I have never seen Panic in the Streets but your review intrigues me.
I have seen Dangerous Crossing. I wasn't crazy about it and didn't think of it as noir.

Haven't seen Panic in the Streets but it was recommended to me many years ago. I still haven't gotten around to seeing it although it's on my watchlist. I look forward to it.

I've seen Dangerous Crossing but it's been years. I remember being very caught up in it and the mystery behind the husband-gone-missing scenario. And of course who can resist Jeanne Crain?

I just have to say that this countdown has had me watching films that have been on my watchlist forever, and re-watching movies that are already on my list for this countdown because this era of noir (as opposed to neo-noir) is my favorite. I have a list of noir to-watch that isn't on my list for the countdown that backs up all the way to Peoria! What fun!

...I've seen Dangerous Crossing but it's been years. I remember being very caught up in it and the mystery behind the husband-gone-missing scenario. And of course who can resist Jeanne Crain?
Now you're talking! Jeanne's lovely and so classy on screen. One of my favorites. By my count she made four noirs:
Leave Her To Heaven (1945)
Dangerous Crossing (1953)
Vicki (1953)
The Tattered Dress (1957)

I wonder if any of those made the countdown?

I forgot the opening line.
Still the big fat doughnut - which will persist until we get to about the top 40 I expect. These reveals look like a lot of fun though - looking forward to seeing them.

Seen - 0/4
Heard of - 0/4

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Haven't seen Panic in the Streets or Dangerous Crossing yet. Does the entire film take place on the ocean liner? And is it shot in studio or on location/the ocean?

SEEN 0/4
BALLOT 0/25
Dangerous Crossing is a good movie featuring a gorgeous Jeanne Crain, and a good post-Klaatu (The Day the Earth Stood Still) role for Michael Rennie.

It's really just a good mystery film though, not too dissimilar to Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes.

Oh, I've seen Leave Her to Heaven once. Once! It's the only film I've seen Jeanne in that would make me think of despising her. But I supposed I will chance it again since it's been quite a while. But that swimming scene I'm not looking forward to again.

Oh, I've seen Leave Her to Heaven once. Once! It's the only film I've seen Jeanne in that would make me think of despising her. But I supposed I will chance it again since it's been quite a while. But that swimming scene I'm not looking forward to again.
That was Gene, not Jeanne if you now what I mean...hey that rhymes Both are lovely!

That was Gene, not Jeanne if you now what I mean...hey that rhymes Both are lovely!
D'oh! Their last names aren't even the same! I don't care, I love them both! And I've found the cable channel that I saw Dangerous Crossing on. It's called Movies! It has lots of Noir on it but they do have commercials. I don't care as they don't edit out anything. Here's the link:
https://www.moviestvnetwork.com

Not seen Panic in the Streets but it looks pretty interesting with a good cast.

I have seen Dangerous Crossing and remember liking it for the same reasons others have stated, mainly an engaging story and the endearing Jeanne Crain.

I'm glad you voted for Dangerous Crossing otherwise it wouldn't have made the countdown. I know of two other film noirs set on ocean liner ships Between Two Worlds (1944) and The Hairy Ape (1944) both good films. I can think of another one, but can't remember the title?

Wow, I had completely forgotten about Between Two Worlds! The Hairy Ape -- I don't think I've seen this, but I'll check it out, thanks!