Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
I know I've watched The Adjustment Bureau, but I can't remember anything about it. It's like it left no impression on me at all. I have to agree with your rating.

I know I've watched The Adjustment Bureau, but I can't remember anything about it. It's like it left no impression on me at all. I have to agree with your rating.
You and Chyp have it right...it's memory erasing!

I like that! and you know what? at the start of the movie when the dead guy was gas powered and making all those weird, disguisting noises & bouncing around on the beach...I though, what the hell am I watching!...

It seemed overly silly, but then the concept grew on me and I ended up liking it...even though that type of humor is soooo not what I usually like.
Yeah, same!

My favorite body function of the dead guy was: how he had a fountain of water come out of his mouth and poor thirsty Paul Dano drank it,
That was really disgusting to watch the first time. I was kind of gagging for him. He did whisper something like "that is gross" under his breath after he had a sip...but then drank the rest of it anyway haha. I mean, when you're desperate, you'll probably try anything. I figured it could be saltwater and thus undrinkable, but I guess not haha.

Yeah, same!

That was really disgusting to watch the first time. I was kind of gagging for him. He did whisper something like "that is gross" under his breath after he had a sip...but then drank the rest of it anyway haha. I mean, when you're desperate, you'll probably try anything. I figured it could be saltwater and thus undrinkable, but I guess not haha.
Yeah, I was thinking it was saltwater too, wouldn't it have to be. The funniest/grosses thing about that scene was...I was eating dinner at the time But...I was having pizza and nothing can make me loose my appetite for pizza!

I guess it wasn't water Manny had "swallowed" during his time in the ocean, but rather...internal water (our bodies are mostly water after all) that has somehow been expelled. Perhaps internally secreted over time, then expelled from pressure? Is that a thing that happens to bodies? Whatever it was, it was gross anyway haha.

Susan Slept Here
(1954)

Director: Frank Tashlin
Writers: Alex Gottlieb (screenplay), Steve Fisher(play)
Cast: Dick Powell, Debbie Reynolds, Anne Francis
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance

About: On Christmas Eve, Mark Christopher (Dick Powell) a burnt out Hollywood movie screenwriter who wants nothing more than to write a serious drama...finds a teenage girl at his apartment door. Susan Landis (Debbie Reynolds) is a good kid, but has no home and no place to go.

Because she was picked up for fighting and vagrancy, the cops are going to haul her off to juvenile detention. It's the 50s! But the cops do have a heart, well sort of, and let her spend the evening at the writer's apartment so she can stay out of jail on Christmas Eve and he can write a serious drama about teen delinquency.

Review: This might be one of the very few older films that's more shocking now, than when it was first shown in 1954. Dick Powell plays a 35 year old man who has a 17 year old teenage girl spend the night at his apartment. Of course no hanky panky ensues.

But, what happens is creepy because a romance develops that smacks of wrongness. Dick Powell was 50 years old when he made this movie and he looks older than that. And when a fresh faced girlish Debbie Reynolds falls for him, it just feels plain icky.

In the 50s an older guy shacking up with a younger girl might have been the stuff everyone winked at, but today it seems wrong.

I still enjoyed the movie, Debbie Reynolds was very energetic and funny in this. The movie was shot in Technicolor and was based on a stage play of the same name. The movies story was later redone as 1962's Bachelor Flat. This was Dick Powell's last film role, though he did go onto television where he had his own show.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Susan Slept Here 1954 (1).jpg
Views:	339
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	28901  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The Adjustment Bureau (2011)
Director: George Nolfi
Writers: George Nolfi(screenplay), Philip K. Dick(short story)
Cast: Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, Anthony Mackie
Genre: Sci-Fi, Thriller, Romance

In the present day, an up and coming political candidate (Matt Damon) runs up against a secret organization with unworldly powers to control the destiny of humans. Despite his attempts to find his true love, a dancer (Emily Blunt) who he had a chance encounter with on a bus...the mysterious force of The Adjustment Bureau keeps the two apart.

Review: Based on a short story by renowned sci fi writer Philip K. Dick called the 'Adjustment Team'. The movie draws from the Matrix with both the look and feel of the men in long trench coats and hats. Their hats are very special as they open doors that connect the city to different places, sometimes miles apart. Think of the common doors that we all use, now image if you had a device that when your turned the door knob counterclockwise would open a corridor to the other side of the city. Pretty neat.

The Adjustment Bureau is a fine, but none too serious film. It alludes to some deeper meaning to our lives suggesting that the happenstances that change our destiny, are not accidents but under the careful guidance of supreme beings, who just happen to look like everyday humans.

I actually liked Matt Damon in this, he was well suited to playing a maverick congressman running for the senate. The scenes that show him on various newscast and talk shows as he campaigned were done well.

As much as I liked Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow (2014), I didn't care for her here. Especially in the first part of the movie where she has a couple of chance encounters with Matt Damon and is suppose to be his soul mate with an instant love connection. To me she leered at him like a cross between a call girl and a stalker. Later in the film I did like her performance.

Not a bad film, not a great film.

+

I liked The Adjustment Bureau much more than you did. I loved the idea of fate vs. free will. Was it fate that they belong together? Do we have free will to even decide what happens in our lives? These two people who seem to be soulmates were being kept apart because some book says that they don't belong together, but they seem to know better. Is the book right and they're ultimately bad for each other, or is their love so strong that they're destined to be together no matter what, and nothing or nobody can stop them?

Having said that, I agree with you about Emily Blunt. I didn't like her in the beginning of the movie, but she became more likable as the movie went on.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Susan Slept Here
(1954)

About: On Christmas Eve, Mark Christopher (Dick Powell) a burnt out Hollywood movie screenwriter who wants nothing more than to write a serious drama...finds a teenage girl at his apartment door. Susan Landis (Debbie Reynolds) is a good kid, but has no home and no place to go.

Because she was picked up for fighting and vagrancy, the cops are going to haul her off to juvenile detention. It's the 50s! But the cops do have a heart, well sort of, and let her spend the evening at the writer's apartment so she can stay out of jail on Christmas Eve and he can write a serious drama about teen delinquency.

Review: This might be one of the very few older films that's more shocking now, than when it was first shown in 1954. Dick Powell plays a 35 year old man who has a 17 year old teenage girl spend the night at his apartment. Of course no hanky panky ensues.

But, what happens is creepy because a romance develops that smacks of wrongness. Dick Powell was 50 years old when he made this movie and he looks older than that. And when a fresh faced girlish Debbie Reynolds falls for him, it just feels plain icky.

In the 50s an older guy shacking up with a younger girl might have been the stuff everyone winked at, but today it seems wrong.

I still enjoyed the movie, Debbie Reynolds was very energetic and funny in this. The movie was shot in Technicolor and was based on a stage play of the same name. The movies story was later redone as 1962's Bachelor Flat. This was Dick Powell's last film role, though he did go onto television where he had his own show.

Like you said, Susan Slept Here is an enjoyable movie, but Dick Powell was way too old for Debbie Reynolds, so the romance doesn't work. It doesn't feel like they belong together, so it doesn't make you want to see them end up together. I thought Debbie Reynolds was great in the movie, so Dick Powell was the one who was miscast because he was too old for her. They really couldn't recast Debbie Reynolds' role with someone older than her because as it is, it was a stretch to believe that she was only 17 years old, so they should have cast someone younger in his role.

Susan Slept Here
(1954)

I'm just searching thru your thread and I must say with all due respect and not sarcastically that you are a brave reviewer . This my comment is not meant to be invasive, offensive, sarcastic or such. Well, my point is, I see quite an amount of comedies under your reviewer eye and in my opinion the comedy is a genre that is very personal and subjective to judge or critique objectively in any way. I could have lots of laughs with cheesy Italian films with Bud Spencer and Terence Hill or antique Louis de Funès films but today nobody would care. I could laugh like crazy and be entertained by some Hollywood stinker. I could laugh or not with Clerks (Kevin Smith) only because I used work and live in Americas for some time and could comprehend a bit better. Otherwise, Kevin Smith's films wouldn't tell me absolutely nothing. I simply admire your bravery to comment on comedies at all. I'm still to discover the beauty of comedy genre as I've preferred otherwise. Thank you.

@Nestorio_Miklos

Well, thank you I try my best!....I know what you mean, a lot of people don't like comedy, and like you said humor is subjective. I like comedies, they all don't work for me but usually there's something in them to make me smile I hardly ever laugh out loud, but I laugh on the inside.

Glad you stopped by! I welcome all comments, these reviews are just my opinion and I know people will not always agree, which is fine

[center]Donnie Darko The Director's Cut
Indeed, it's a great film. I watched the first release like 7 - 8 times and then today finally I watched the Director's cut. Everything was fine until Cherita Chen with Autumn Angel, I simply miss that single rude whistle from someone in audience and someone's shouting: "Get off the stage, Cherita! You suck!" . Why did he cut it off? It belongs there. I'm not supporting harassment here, it's just for these tiny details, the short moments that you remember, you love a movie even more.

Which do you prefer? The directors cut or original theatrical release?
I don't automatically reject director's cuts, but in this case I prefer original theatrical release. I miss those little things like I mentioned above, plus I didn't like those shots of 3D building and waves. But hey, other than that, it was still good old Donnie Darko. Actually, I'm motivated to re-watch the original.

I don't automatically reject director's cuts, but in this case I prefer original theatrical release. I miss those little things like I mentioned above, plus I didn't like those shots of 3D building and waves. But hey, other than that, it was still good old Donnie Darko. Actually, I'm motivated to re-watch the original.
Glad you posted Others have also said they prefer the theatrical cut. I've only seen the directors cut and so really want to watch the original theatrical version one of these days.

Generally I find that the directors cut of any movie, is not as good as the original theatrical cut. I know many will disagree with me, but that's how I see it.

Well, let me know then if you like that whistle and rude yelling while Cherita's on stage. Speaking of Directors cuts, I actually did like Apocalypse Now Redux.

Well, let me know then if you like that whistle and rude yelling while Cherita's on stage. Speaking of Directors cuts, I actually did like Apocalypse Now Redux.
I've not seen Apocalypse Now Redux. I prefer the theatrical cut of Dune and Blade Runner over the latter cuts.

Me too! I just remember that the original theatrical cut of Blade Runner has the voice over narration, the happy flying over the countryside ending and Deckard's origins are left ambiguous.

I've not seen Apocalypse Now Redux. I prefer the theatrical cut of Dune and Blade Runner over the latter cuts.
I agree with you on a number of cases regarding director cuts, but the Apocalypse Now Redux is better IMO. It doesn't substitute any scenes for others, but adds 49 additional minutes of film. Most of it consists of the French Plantation sequence and one with the Playmates. There's also extra conversational footage between Brando and Sheen. The film is basically a long journey, and the extra scenes are more sights to see. Not necessary to the trip, but still worthwhile and complementing.