The Most Influential People of 2009!

Tools    

The year is nearly over. I thought it would be a good idea to look back on the celebrities, politicians, and other ordinary people who inspired us in a certain way, moved us, or reduced us to tears of joy or sadness this year!

Here's my list:

1. Michael Jackson - His death came as a shock to the entire world at the unexpected age of 50 on the now unforgettable day of Thursday, June 25, 2009. He was, and forever will be, a musical icon who defined a generation (mine, specifially). Upon his death, Michael dominated the charts once again, selling millions and millions of copies of his records going back to the Jackson 5 catalog. His songs were played nonstop on almost every radio station. On the Billboard charts, Jackson's albums outsold every new release for the weeks after his death. He was the Elvis of the 80's. And like Elvis, his legacy will live on forever. R.I.P. King of Pop.

2. Barack Obama - The first ever African American President of the USA was sworn in on January 20, 2009! Obama's optimistic view of the future inspired not just the majority of Americans, but earned the admiration of millions of people from around the world. He was also the most popular Presidential candidate the year before amongst the American youth, being labeled a President of "Rockstar' calibre. His call for "hope" and "change", as well as his famous quote "Yes, we can!" became a signature slogan of his campaign and inspired most voters, especially Independent voters, to look his way.

3. Susan Boyle - The moment this cheeky, overweight, middle aged, and quite unattractive Scottish woman took the stage at the Britain's Got Talent show in front of Simon Cowell and co on April 11, 2009, nobody, and I mean nobody, expected what she would do next. For the next 2 and half minutes, Susan stunned the entire audience, became an international sensation, made Simon gasp and smile, and reminded us that there still is magic in the world with the uplifting and tear-jerking rendition of I Dreamed A Dream. The video of the performance became an internet sensation as well, particularly on youtube where it was viewed by hundreds of people every minute. Even though she ended up losing the top honors at the show, her debut album released just last month dominated the album charts on both sides of the Atlantic and has already sold over 3 million copies worldwide. A true underdog! Thank you, Susan, for your beautiful voice and for being such an inspiration.

The People's Republic of Clogher
All very worthy and, I suppose, hard to disagree with but I'm afraid I just don't 'get' Susan Boyle on any level.

She's got a passable voice but what has happened to her, to me, has been an example of Cowell's manipulation to almost freakshow proportions. The poor woman was driven to practically a nervous breakdown midway through the year because, and I'll whisper this, she's just not meant to be doing what she's doing. Voice or no.

The whole 'anyone can be a star through work, packaging and Autotune' that Cowell and his ilk espouse really gets my goat, and I'm not saying this as a failed musician. Oh no.

That the campaign to get Rage Against The Machine (never a band I liked - a kind of Red Hot Chilli Peppers for 5th Form Politics students without a sense of humour) to the Christmas number 1 ahead of that execrable dirge from X Factor has been my highlight of the season.

It won't hurt Cowell's wallet but it's sure to dent his ego.

Cool idea Mojo…

I would like to add Brad Pitt to the list for his contributions to New Orleans. He helped found a green building project designed to rebuild the lower 9th Ward that was completely devastated by Hurricane Katrina... and he's been the major driving force behind making it all happen. If anyone is interested, they can check out the foundation here:

Make It Right

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Madea
For serving time in jail.

Michael Jackson
For the best celebrity death in years.

Jake Gyllenhaal
For breaking up with Reese Witherspoon and marrying me.

Joan Rivers
For winning The Celebrity Apprentice -- and for filling in for Michael Jackson's cancelled plastic surgeries for fall 2009.

Aretha Franklin
For keeping her head up.

All very worthy and, I suppose, hard to disagree with but I'm afraid I just don't 'get' Susan Boyle on any level.

She's got a passable voice but what has happened to her, to me, has been an example of Cowell's manipulation to almost freakshow proportions. The poor woman was driven to practically a nervous breakdown midway through the year because, and I'll whisper this, she's just not meant to be doing what she's doing. Voice or no.

The whole 'anyone can be a star through work, packaging and Autotune' that Cowell and his ilk espouse really gets my goat, and I'm not saying this as a failed musician. Oh no.

That the campaign to get Rage Against The Machine (never a band I liked - a kind of Red Hot Chilli Peppers for 5th Form Politics students without a sense of humour) to the Christmas number 1 ahead of that execrable dirge from X Factor has been my highlight of the season.

It won't hurt Cowell's wallet but it's sure to dent his ego.
I totally agree with you on all the Cowell/Boyle words there. I hear that he's already offered the two people that set up the facebook group a job that they'd both rejected.

Personally I'd much rather listen to RATM than RHCP, who I think are one of the most overrated bands of the last 20 years, but that's probably just me. Sadly, the real winner of the Christmas #1 race was Sony, who'll be getting royalties from both, that's over a million sales! It'll be a very merry Christmas for those guys.

On a side note, I love the irony of people choosing a song specifically for that refrain to oppose the Cowell machine and then tell people to buy it. It really is too much.

As for the list, it all depends on whether it's my most influencial or the most influencial. Jackson and Boyle wouldn't be anywhere near the first, but I'd have to include them on the second.

Banned from Hollywood.
I totally agree with you on all the Cowell/Boyle words there. I hear that he's already offered the two people that set up the facebook group a job that they'd both rejected.

Personally I'd much rather listen to RATM than RHCP, who I think are one of the most overrated bands of the last 20 years, but that's probably just me. Sadly, the real winner of the Christmas #1 race was Sony, who'll be getting royalties from both, that's over a million sales! It'll be a very merry Christmas for those guys.

On a side note, I love the irony of people choosing a song specifically for that refrain to oppose the Cowell machine and then tell people to buy it. It really is too much.

As for the list, it all depends on whether it's my most influencial or the most influencial. Jackson and Boyle wouldn't be anywhere near the first, but I'd have to include them on the second.

The reason i like Susan Boyle is for the obvious. Unemployed middle aged woman makes it big time in a world full of "pop stars" and "required good looks to make it in the showbusiness". Deserved it or not, i'm quite sure we hadn't seen the likes of her in the past..as far as i can remember...so that's a bit of an oddity.

As for RHCP i couldnt agree with you more. SO overrated, never got what all the fuss about them was about. But then again the Beatles were always too overrated and i never got into them either. If only a few incredibly obscure Jazz musicians could have been as overrated.

peace.

The reason i like Susan Boyle is for the obvious. Unemployed middle aged woman makes it big time in a world full of "pop stars" and "required good looks to make it in the showbusiness". Deserved it or not, i'm quite sure we hadn't seen the likes of her in the past..as far as i can remember...so that's a bit of an oddity.
Whilst I understand what you're saying, it's not really that big a difference. For a start, I wouldn't say she's made it in showbusiness. I'd say that she's been made, like most others. The only difference between her and them is that she looks terrible (even for a 'normal') and they don't. But her 'looks' have been marketed and exploited in exactly the same way, she just had a makeover rather than a 'risque' photoshoot. I don't think Cowell thought, even in his wildest dreams, that she's break as big as she has, but all they've done is extend the campaign outside these (the UK) shores.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
In general, I think that people's family and friends are the most influential people every year. I mean, I have no clue who Susan Boyle is, and I'm semi-thankful that I almost have no idea who Simon Cowell is. I do spend a lot of time on the Net, but I rarely frequent anyplace which reeks of "popularity". To me, popular is not influential because for every popular person there is, there are at least three billion people (less than half of the world's population) who don't like, pay attention to, or even know about them. So, in many ways, some of you here are the most-influential people in the world. True, I haven't heard about ALL your affairs, plastic surgeries or whatever, but since I don't have affairs (except a love affair with my wife, family and friends), even if I did, that wouldn't be all that influential to me. Oh, and I don't usually like surgeries of any kind unless they keep me alive and I haven't had any of those yet.

I guess that ultimately I believe that each and every person is the most-influential person to themselves for most adults, and I believe that most people here qualify to be called adults of various kinds and ages. Therefore, I believe that each of you is the most-influential person of the year, even if it is an infinite tie for first and/or last. Now, whether you want someone else to be more-influential to you on a daily basis, I wouldn't know. If you do have a family though, I think in a perfect world the youngest family member would be the most-influential (except for perhaps in things to do with eating, babysitting and cleaning oneself) because the younger you are, the more love you have to give and receive, or so I do believe. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Good Everything Else.

Female Jungle Poster
The owners of our local cable company, who screwed up my whole TV show viewing schedule all year.

Harrumph!

"Exit, pursued by a bear." ~

Now that sounds horrible. I don't know what I'd do if that happened to me... I'd have to watch a dvd or read a book or something.

Seriously though, I do feel for you.

Female Jungle Poster
... I'd have to watch a dvd or read a book or something.

Seriously though, I do feel for you.
Even worse...I'm now forced to talk with the hubby at night. Ack.

(Thanks, honeykid. )

Banned from Hollywood.
Whilst I understand what you're saying, it's not really that big a difference. For a start, I wouldn't say she's made it in showbusiness. I'd say that she's been made, like most others. The only difference between her and them is that she looks terrible (even for a 'normal') and they don't. But her 'looks' have been marketed and exploited in exactly the same way, she just had a makeover rather than a 'risque' photoshoot. I don't think Cowell thought, even in his wildest dreams, that she's break as big as she has, but all they've done is extend the campaign outside these (the UK) shores.
Either way, i don't wanna dig in too deep about wether or not she was made (apparently she was)...I just respect the fact that she's got a great (at times angelic) voice (although a lot would disagree). All the other stuff i couldn't care less about. Weird that a jazz freak and obscure music fan like me actually likes her, but i do.

Cheers hk!

The People's Republic of Clogher
My most influential person of the year?

I have respect for very few politicians where I live, downright dislike for an awful lot, of every hue but the extremes of Sinn Fein and (of which Marty is Deputy Leader) The DUP in particular.

Not only was I surprised that McGuinness was so straightforward in condemning the kind of murderers of two British soldiers and a police officer as "traitors to Ireland" but I actually believed his sincerity.

Recent polls have seen his popularity soar in the traditionally diametrically opposed Unionist community while their own that of their own political representatives drops.

It's been a weird old year over here.

I must also mention Michael J. Fox, who made several appearances this year on TV, promoting optimism in light of his constant struggle with Parkinson's Disease. We love you, Mike!