Quote of the Day

Tools    

"lying is the best kind of fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off but its better if you do" - Alice played by Natalie Portman

"the details of your incompetince does not interest me" Miranda Priestly played by Meryl Streep

"No, we are not friend, I dont take this **** from friends - only lovers" Sandy Lester played by Teri Garr

"flattery will get you nowhere, but dont stop trying" Miss Moneypenny played by Lois Maxwell

Kids are stupid. That's why they're in school.
I'd lecture for an hour about percentages & interest rates, and at the end, I'd ask one simple question:
"You put $10,500 in the bank for one year at 5.5% interest, and what do you get?"
Some kid would always yell out "A toaster!"

- Jeff Jena

"Blessed is the corpse that gets rained on" - My neighbour, Elsie, this morning.

She was talking about the horrible day we had yesterday for my other neighbour's funeral and said her mother used to use that saying but she didn't have a clue what it meant. A quick Google later and I found this - Blessed is the bride the sun shines on and blessed are the dead the rain rains on. 17th Century proverb apparently.
you've got to file that away and use it again - all those old sayings get lost if you don't (hope you don't have to use it any time soon tho )

The People's Republic of Clogher
you've got to file that away and use it again - all those old sayings get lost if you don't (hope you don't have to use it any time soon tho )
This is why I love old people - I love language as much as I love stories.

Even when I was a kid I remember getting taught to fish by a man who fought in the 1916 Rising and Civil War. My Canadian uncles were full of stories about making their living during the 20s and 30s...

Caity - The saying seems to have found its way here through various forms over the years. The 17th C one was the earliest I could find (on a quick search) but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes back much further - there's a definite pre-Christian feeling to it.

Welcome to the human race...
"The problem with being Democrat is that if you vote for Obama, you're sexist. And if you vote for Hilary, you're racist. Its easy being a Republican. No matter what you're retarded." -- Guillotine, Bash.org Quote #846915

What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness. ~ Leo Tolstoy

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
"What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything!"

- H.P. Lovecraft

This was not a boating accident
Either the curtains go or i do.

Supposedly Oscar Wilde's last words.

I am half agony, half hope.
Rock and Roll: Music for the neck downwards.

~Keith Richards

Johann von Goethe

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "

Blood may be thicker than water, but a rare 24 oz T-Bone...man oh man.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever Gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of Circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of Chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

- Invictus (William Ernest Henley, 1875)

I am half agony, half hope.
Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family: Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.

~Jane Howard

We're not excluding the possibility that we'll have to amend or revise our goals
Slovenia Prime Minister Janez Jansa, (Friday March 14th 2008, regarding the European Union's stance on Climate Change.)

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -W.B. Yeats
I really like that one. How true it is, and how I wish the education system would take that into account.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will finally know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -Mahatma Gandhi

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.-Mahatma Gandhi

This was not a boating accident
"A lie get's halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get it's pants on" - Winston Churchill.