The Avengers Assemble

→ in
Tools    

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
This movie is as 10/10 as it gets.

I loved that the stakes in this film are ridiculously high and the threat so impressive that there really is a need for these diverse characters to come together.
That was my main quibble with the flick oddly enough. Had the aliens been in cahoots with hydra.nazis in the Cap flick it would have made more of an impact i think.

His "gay mask"? You listed three things you didn't like, and two of them were about his uniform...even though the film is set 70 years ago? And you don't even remember one of the best moments of the movie?

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but it sounds like yours was formed by some pretty superficial stuff.

I get his jist though and agree with his inherent argument but then that maybe because i'm bias against the slightly outdated cultural imperialism/propaganda Cap represents in the standalone film. It's hard to make his costume work on screen and some of it was quite cringe worthy which does detract from making any attachment to the character. I enjoyed his film but it was a superficial one, I didn't really feel any meat to it or any particularly memorable moments- I preferred the flag scene over the grenade one. I like the message of it's not powers that make a hero but it's what's inside, just a shame it's too 'America f*ck yeah' that's inside

But the "cultural imperialism" (pretty loaded term, but okay...) you're talking about doesn't exist in his time. He fought in a particularly necessary, just, altruistic war. He has no connection to Vietnam, or Iraq, or anything else controversial. In fact, in The Avengers, there are strong hints that he's not thrilled with what the world as a whole has become. "They told me we won...they didn't tell me what we lost." The kind of thing you seem irked about is the kind of thing he's completely different from. If anything, this seems like it should make him like you more.

But the "cultural imperialism" (pretty loaded term, but okay...) you're talking about doesn't exist in his time. He fought in a particularly necessary, just, altruistic war. He has no connection to Vietnam, or Iraq, or anything else controversial. In fact, in The Avengers, there are strong hints that he's not thrilled with what the world as a whole has become. "They told me we won...they didn't tell me what we lost." The kind of thing you seem irked about is the kind of thing he's completely different from. If anything, this seems like it should make him like you more.
Ok, replace that with propaganda, used the wrong term, my bad. Even though there's winks at that in the movie with his stage career, it's still what his character represents and it's not something I connected with. I like the disillusionment you refer to and will be interested to see his follow up film which read is to be more 'personal' and deal with his adjustments, just hope it's not made to patriotic.

But as a movie itself (Cap, the character, aside), it does show cultural imperialism to an extent, except for thge chick, I don't remember seeing any British soldiers in it or anything to suggest the War endeavour wasn't another 'America f*ck yeah' situation.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Hi everyone! (haven't been here in a while...)

I'm so disappointed to read some of the negative comments here -- I think this film so totally rocked. But then again, I love Buffy. I'm so thrilled for Whedon's success

But the reason I came here is because I haven't been this excited about an actor since, well....a year ago when I watched Thor. I just think....

We should all bow at the mantle that is Tom Hiddleston.

I loved this movie, but maybe not for the reasons that others did. Every time Loki was on screen, I felt on fire. I absolutely love him! I loved the movie Thor, too, because of the relationship between Thor and Loki. Hiddleston's performance just flat-out amazes me. The way he speaks. His clearly defined turmoil. His clothes. His slicked black hair. OMG.

I also think that Captain America doesn't get enough love. So many say they didn't see his origin film. It's great. I think all of them are (Thor is my favorite along with Iron Man) but I like that old-fashioned soldier hero. I think it speaks to the glory that was once the USA; I'm not a comic fan, but I would think that would speak to all those comic fans out there and reflects on an entire generation of real-life "heroes." It was a time when a villain was really a villain and we could all get behind the soldiers.

Anyway... back to Loki. I wanted to post because I simply didn't see enough Loki love around here. He's working on the "Henriad" (Henry IV and Henry V) for BBC. I can't wait to hear him deliver the St. Crispin's Day Speech!!!

I want a poster of Loki to hang in my bedroom.

Ok, replace that with propaganda, used the wrong term, my bad. Even though there's winks at that in the movie with his stage career, it's still what his character represents and it's not something I connected with. I like the disillusionment you refer to and will be interested to see his follow up film which read is to be more 'personal' and deal with his adjustments, just hope it's not made to patriotic.
Meh. To be frank, I think way too many people want way too many of their characters to be gritty and postmodern and angsty. I thought it was incredibly refreshing to have a throwback in there, not just for balance and for the interplay between them, but to remind us about how notions of heroism and even the nature of our fictional characters have changed. I really think people are underestimating the significance and power of that.

But as a movie itself (Cap, the character, aside), it does show cultural imperialism to an extent, except for thge chick, I don't remember seeing any British soldiers in it or anything to suggest the War endeavour wasn't another 'America f*ck yeah' situation.
Okay, but...how is World War 2 not an "America f**k yeah" situation? It's one thing to not like that sort of thing when it isn't warranted, but if ever a country had a war to celebrate in its stories, it was WW2.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Just saw this yesterday--I looked down the line of kids to my left at one point, seeing 7 or 8 slack-jawed, glued-to-the-screen little faces all the way down the line. 8 little piles of drool on the floor. Always a good barometer for this kind of film.

I admire the way JW blended all these characters together and enjoyed the relationship between them, it was a treat. Fun dialogue. Thor's Hammer--awesome. Also, I don't think I ever remember a major laugh in a superhero movie as intense as the 2 big ones we got here; especially without pandering for it......And...Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner--casting genius.

I would watch it again for sure-- my only complaints -- I get a bit weary from overt-the-top CGI at times, finding it straying a bit into Transformers territory, and some of the quick C/U editing of close combat scenes bugged me a little.

All in all, Me likey.
I give it 9 piles of drool.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Meh. To be frank, I think way too many people want way too many of their characters to be gritty and postmodern and angsty. I thought it was incredibly refreshing to have a throwback in there, not just for balance and for the interplay between them, but to remind us about how notions of heroism and even the nature of our fictional characters have changed. I really think people are underestimating the significance and power of that.

That's exactly what I was trying to say, only you said it so much better, Yoda....as usual....

So nobody likes Loki as much as me? NOBODY???!!!!!

I'm totally with you on Loki. I mean, "like" is tough, because he's deliciously terrible. But yeah, in terms of performance Hiddleston really nailed it. I've heard a lot of reviewers single him out, too, which is nice.

If movie is only fun,entertaining blockbuster not trying to take itself too seriously,than it cant be epic or whatever...average movie this is,nothing more...

A system of cells interlinked
No. It's not average - it's awesome. I know it's your opinion, but it's wrong.

The only awesome thing about it is how it took the comic book approach of having numerous, small, complete sequences all moving towards an end goal. Other than that it tried too hard to frame shots like a comic book, but that can't work because this is a different medium and not a graphic like Sin City. It's a step in the right direction but we've not quite yet figured out how to adapt from comics.

It's a step in the right direction but we've not quite yet figured out how to adapt from comics.
I'll disagree with that. I think many films, including this one, have done an excellent job adapting comics. Superman: The Movie, X-Men 2, Fantastic Four, the first Spider-Man and Iron Man films, all very good comic adaptations, in my opinion.

As I said, I thought they did an excellent job on this movie. I just felt it was missing something I still can't put my finger on. I'll probably need to see it again to figure it out. It may just be the "crossover event" nature of it - lots of awesome sequences with little lasting effect.

this is a different medium and not a graphic (novel) like Sin City.
Actually, with the exception of "Family Values," all the Sin City stories - including the arcs the film was based on - were originally serialized just like Marvel's super hero books. Just sayin'...

I'll disagree with that. I think many films, including this one, have done an excellent job adapting comics. Superman: The Movie, X-Men 2, Fantastic Four, the first Spider-Man and Iron Man films, all very good comic adaptations, in my opinion.
I'm referring to capturing the comic book feel in a cinematic way, not just having comic characters in a decent movie.

Actually, with the exception of "Family Values," all the Sin City stories - including the arcs the film was based on - were originally serialized just like Marvel's super hero books. Just sayin'...
I didn't mean how you inferred. I referred to the film Sin City's visual style.

Too be honest u said this 'hulk' was the best out of the 3. I disagree. Edward norton (not sure how his name is spelt) was best hulk iv seen so far he made the incredible hulk really interesting and made me love that movie when i first watched it. Overall hes a great actor too and has done many great performances. at the moment im going to look into the actor that plays hulk in the avengers.

So, I wanted to write this sooner, but things are exceptionally busy these days, and I ended up waiting to see the film again to get a clearer picture of the whole thing. Here's the review:

The Avengers

Whedon's reputation is one of upsetting convention, and in a media environment where more protagonists are self-aware the only way to go forward is to double back, with heroes so self-aware that they're aware of how tired self-awareness is. The result is a pre-postmodern masterpiece of mayhem....READ MORE

So yeah: liked it a whole lot. The second viewing did bring a few things into focus, though. The first being that the second half is significantly better than the first. The second being that it really does find a near-seamless way to give everyone a couple of moments, usually both one fun and one profound. And the third is that, yeah, the Hulk really does steal the show, even when you know what's coming.

Okay, but...how is World War 2 not an "America f**k yeah" situation? It's one thing to not like that sort of thing when it isn't warranted, but if ever a country had a war to celebrate in its stories, it was WW2.
I'm not knocking the movie, well I am kind of, objectively as a film it was fine and I dig the notions and ideology it presents. Just thought if you were a kid watching it, not knowing the history, it would be easy to think WW2 was American v Germany, with no mention of England being involved. Obviously, the film is called Captain AMERICA but still, i'll put it down to our national perspectives and move on. It was more observation than an attack of the film, i'm not disagreeing with any of what you said, if it's seems to the contrary. And my point was levelled at Captain America and the presentation of the conflict, not The Avengers or his role in it