The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Ah, here we are finally at my first Film I planned on putting on my ballot when I first saw the countdown posted, but managed to completely forget when I submitted my ballot. I recall really liking Blue Ruin, thinking about it for days afterward, and I meant to watch to again on the run up to ballot deadline; I just didn't have the time, and was really trying to watch as many films that I hadn't seen as possible. Oh well, probably belonged on my ballot. Excellent film, and I recommend it to anyone that hasn't seen it.

Love Brick, and it would easily make it on my ballot in the 26-30 range.

Seen 14/20

Welcome to the human race...
no votes. have seen blue ruin once and liked it well enough, but odds are i won't watch it again. rewatched brick a few years ago and, as much as i appreciate such a concerted effort to do a high-school neo-noir that's high in construction and low in irony in the abstract, i can take or leave the end result.

Ah, here we are finally at my first Film I planned on putting on my ballot when I first saw the countdown posted, but managed to completely forget when I submitted my ballot. I recall really liking Blue Ruin, thinking about it for days afterward, and I meant to watch to again on the run up to ballot deadline; I just didn't have the time, and was really trying to watch as many films that I hadn't seen as possible. Oh well, probably belonged on my ballot. Excellent film, and I recommend it to anyone that hasn't seen it.
Very noir to have memory problems

Yahoo! Blue Ruin was my #13...finally a neo noir I've seen and vote for. I wrote this about it.

Blue Ruin (2013)
Hell yeah! Gotta love a movie with Jan Brady toting a Tec 10 semi auto like some backwoods survivalist in a modern day Hatfield and McCoy feud...I didn't even know Eve Plumb was in the movie and then the credits rolled, good thing I watched them as otherwise I'd never had spotted her.

I should probably hate this movie, but hot damn I really liked it. Right at the get go I was onboard when we first see the homeless guy and follow him around town...all without him speaking. I knew then that I liked this movie. I mean he could've just went dumpster diving for the next 90 minutes and I would've dug it. It's hard to explain but the movie felt like what I call 'honest cinema'. I loved that non-glossy, you are there style of film making and the main actor/character was interesting too. Gosh, I wish more movies were made without the bombastic need to 'wow' the audience.

Yes Blue Ruin had some graphic violence, but...and this is a big but...the film never presented that violence as tawdry, cheap thrills. I've watched other movies that made graphic violence seem like a thrill ride in an entertainment park. Blue Ruin on the other hand never did that and for that reason I was OK with the violence. The violence was there but it was never presented as a reward to the movie goer, instead the violence was an integral part of the story.

Loved the low key ending too, less is more and that ending worked so perfectly. Blue Ruin rocks!

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... BLUE RUIN

RT – 96%, IMDb – 7.1

Susan Wloszczyna, from RogerEbert.com said:

"Not unlike America, the film is as obsessed with such deadly hardware as it is repulsed by it, and Saulnier—who clearly put a lot of artistic thought into how his characters are mortally wounded—seems to be of both minds. Which keeps Blue Ruin from becoming a preachy turnoff [...] From camera angles—especially one unsettlingly spooky shot as Dwight’s car heads into a cloud of fog in a remote mountain region—to the unnerving soundtrack, this guy knows how to build a nail-biter." (read full review here)
The Guardian said:

"This sweaty portion of strip-mall noir is essentially a lurid revenge story but filtered through an arthouse sensibility, peppered with stillness and deglamourised violence. " (read full review here)
@MovieMeditation said:

"What I like really about this film is the way the story is presented to us. It is a revenge thriller with reservations but not restrictions, which relies on realism and not reassurance. It isn’t a tumble through terrorists or mercenaries that relieves our protagonist with every powerful kill he makes, as the popcorn-munching audience applaud, watching our hero juggle around with justice. This is not a glorified revenge tale with a capable killer, but instead an everyday man wanting to do what he feels is right." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... BRICK

RT – 80%, IMDb – 7.1

Roger Ebert said:

"Brick is a movie reportedly made with great determination and not much money by Rian Johnson, who did the editing on his Macintosh [...] What is impressive is his absolute commitment to his idea of the movie's style. He relates to the classic crime novels and movies, he notes the way their mannered dialogue and behavior elevates the characters into archetypes, and he uses the strategy to make his teenagers into hard-boiled guys and dolls." (read full review here)
David L. Tamarin of MovieWeb.com said:

"At first glance, it almost appears to be more like a high school drama or a cheap parody of detective clichés, but Brick gradually reveals itself to be an incredibly unique film noir utilizing hard-boiled tropes from the past but updating them to fit in the world of high school." (read full review here)
@Darth Stujitzu said:

"Although the film was confusing at points, and although I didn't totally understand the language, it all came together to a satisfactory but not brilliant ending. Definetly a film you have to be in the right mood for, and one that demands your full attention." (read full review here)

Blue Ruin was on my list. I love how quiet and deliberate the tone is, punctuated by some very graphic moments of violence. There are lots and lots of movies about revenge, and while some are cathartic wish fantasies where the baddies who done you wrong get what’s comin’ to them, in reality revenge is probably closer to the murky, bloody mess that our at-first-shaggy protagonist finds himself in. Unless there are only two people involved, as soon as you add perspective and secrets it is rarely a black-and-white division of good versus evil. This 21st Century Hatfields versus a McCoy tale is very effective.

Jeremy Saulnier certainly announced himself as a talent to watch with this dark little piece, a promise which was realized again in the fantastic and even bloodier Green Room which he also wrote and directed and co-stars Macon Blair again, and Hold in the Dark which he directed and Macon Blair wrote.

I used my second-to-last spot for Blue Ruin, so only two little points, but I am glad others had it up higher.

HOLDEN'S BALLOT
15. Shallow Grave (#95)
17. Dead Again (#90)
22. The Hot Spot (#85)
24. Blue Ruin (#82)
25. Johnny Handsome (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Ah, here we are finally at my first Film I planned on putting on my ballot when I first saw the countdown posted, but managed to completely forget when I submitted my ballot.
When I first saw that it was one of the picks I let out a loud, "YEAH!" Then I went looking for my ballot to see how many points I had given it. It had to have been a lot. I mean, it was my #5 on the All Time Top 100 List. Then, come to find out, I hadn't included it. Reassuring to hear I'm not alone in doing this.

But hey, two for two. Watched both Blue Ruin and Brick but neither was on my ballot.

9 of 20.

First one from my ballot show. Brick was my number 25. While I don't remember much about the plot I do remember plenty about the style and dialogue. It was such a cool movie. I could see this being a love/hate type of flick.

Completely forgot about Blue Ruin. That would have been pretty high up on my list and I would have also included The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo pretty high but didn't know it was eligible. Probably going to see a lot of that from me as there was just too much flipping around sites trying to see what was considered noir and what wasn't.

I haven't had anything to say about the reveals for a few days now, since Shutter Island was the only one I'd seen, and I wasn't really a fan of it. Been meaning to watch both versions of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for awhile now, but never seem to get around to them.

But I'm really happy to see Blue Ruin make the list today! I nominated in the 22nd Hall of Fame, and it was on my ballot here at #5. This was what I wrote about it for the HoF:

Blue Ruin (2013)
Directed By: Jeremy Saulnier
Starring: Macon Blair, Amy Hargreaves, Devin Ratray

On the surface, the plot of Blue Ruin sounds like a typical revenge story, but anyone expecting a glorified, righteous reckoning in the final act is going to be sorely disappointed. This is a slow, quiet, and methodical film with minimal dialogue, that doesn't attempt to make its protagonist's actions seem justified. He is not a hero, but rather a flawed and self-destructive man who makes a series of bad decisions, and is left to deal with horrific consequences.

Macon Blair is excellent as Dwight. He is alone on screen for a large chunk of the runtime, so his performance is the single most important aspect of the film. Even without many spoken lines, he's able to convey Dwight's emotions and state of mind with his incredibly expressive eyes. He's very believable as a man in over his head, whose every action only digs him deeper into the dirt. Nothing seems to go as planned for him, but he is ultimately the architect of his own downfall.

There are no genre-typical scenes where you cheer for Dwight as he mows down his enemies. Instead the violence in Blue Ruin is quite realistic and brutal. It's meant to be uncomfortable and shocking, even though you know it's coming. The effects looks great, especially considering the low, kickstarted budget. The cinematography is also fantastic, with well framed shots and only a minimal use of the dreaded shaky cam. There are a lot of blue hues throughout the film which help set the mood, but the camera itself builds the most suspense.
Seen: 9/20

My List: 3

05. Blue Ruin (2013) - #82
10. The Man from Nowhere (2010) - #87
15. Infernal Affairs (2002) - #91
25. The Chaser (2008) - DNP 1-pointer

I like this pairing. Both films are fine examples of modern neo-noirs. Neither got my votes but glad to see them here.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

My heart is embiggened to hear all the love for Blue Ruin.

Blue Ruin is very good, but it didn't make my list. I love how its portrayal of revenge comes from an ordinary person whose lack of skill effects his progress and often results in bloody messes. While some scenes in it are gory (they feel like consequences to the main character's amateurism), they're fairly infrequent since the film focuses more on a slow and deliberate pace. That said, I think I prefer Green Room.

I haven't seen Brick.

FINALLY one from my ballot.

#81 on the big list, but #3 on my own, Brick. 23 of its points were from me.

It perfectly embodies the Noir detective stories that I'm always a sucker for.

Brick is really helped by the terrifyingness of its antagonist, who counters our hero's craftiness with extreme violence and brutality. It elevates the story above similar, lighter faire, in my opinion.

3. Brick

Stats: Pit Stop #2

After hitting our second pit stop (80), here's were we are now:

Decade Breakdown
  • 1960s = 4
  • 1970s = 2
  • 1980s = 0
  • 1990s = 8
  • 2000s = 2
  • 2010s = 4
  • 2020s = 0

Big push from both the 90s and 2010s, which puts the former ahead of the game. Will it remain victorious?

Again, no point in doing a director breakdown cause there have been no repeats so far.