The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Conformist was certainly in the mix for my final list, but it got cut fairly early on in the painful process of culling down to twenty-five. However, Nic Roeg's atmospheric meditation on grief, guilt, and loss wrapped in a perhaps supernatural mystery with both creepiness and beauty to spare, and starring two of my favorite actors, landed Don't Look Now a spot on my own list, at number twenty. That makes five of mine.

10. The Man Who Would Be King (#81)
13. Breaking Away (#95)
17. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (#94)
19. MASH (#78)
20. Don't Look Now (#72)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	venice.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	16514  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Excellent, The Conformist is the second film to appear on this list that was on my own. It was in 17th position. I'm trying to remember if I've seen Don't Look Now. I'm sure I have but I'm so far removed from it that I can barely remember all that much about it.

Thirteen more of mine should make it, with another three or four that are maybe on the bubble?....is what I imagine I might say if I weren't intimately knowledgeable of every single result.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	dover.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	16515   Click image for larger version

Name:	smile!.png
Views:	552
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	16516  

Glad to see Don't Look Now make it, even if I only gave it a
after watching it. It's a reasonably decent film, even if I don't think it's as good as people suggest. Certainly creepy and interesting. I need to check out more Roeg films.

Never seen The Conformist.

Bertolucci's visually stunning tale about cowardice made my personal list. The famous Italian director sure knows how to create atmosphere and hypnotizing images. The Conformist truly is a great piece of cinema and storytelling. It's also a very accessible film with clear themes and a very strong message, so I recommend it to everyone!
It was my #21.

Haven't seen Don't Look Now yet, but I have it "available", so that's another film I'll definitely watch in the near future.

SEEN: 12/30

100. Logan's Run -

98. Being There -

97. Fantastic Planet -
+
96. All That Jazz -
#12 on my list!
87. Saturday Night Fever -

84. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie -

82. F for Fake -
#17 on my list!
78. MASH -
+ #19 on my list!
77. Mean Streets -
-
76. Hausu -

74. Paper Moon -

71. The Conformist -
+ #21 on my list!

The Conformist (1970)
#2 on my list!
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

A system of cells interlinked
I own both of the latest entries, and Don't Look Now is the first film that has appeared that has me second guessing whether or not I should have put it on my list. It's definitely a great movie, and perhaps if I would have watched it again just before list submission, it might have made it. The Conformist is top-level film making, but I watched it from a cold distance, as I couldn't relate to it very much. Its technical achievements are some of the best ever, I would say, but as a top 25 favorite, it didn't make the cut for me.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Don't Look Now has some of the most "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT" endings of all time.

Really looking forward to The Conformist.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I finally saw F for Fake yesterday and enjoyed it thoroughly. Ordered the DVD immediately afterwards, I feel like it will only get better on repeat viewings. Orson Welles and the film are both absolutely one of a kind.

I've seen 13/30 so far.

98. Being There
+ (#13)

97. Fantastic Planet
+

96. All That Jazz

85. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
-

84. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
-

82. F for Fake
+

78. MASH
-

77. Mean Streets

76. Hausu
(#4)

75. All the President's Men
-

74. Paper Moon

73. Marathon Man

72. Don't Look Now
+

Nice, Skepsis! I knew you would like it. It's a wonderfully atmospheric film to look at. I rewatched it a few days ago. I wished Welles had made more 'essay films' like that, but unfortunately it wasn't a big succes at its initial release, so he stowed away his plans to make more "essay films". It's clear that he was having a lot of fun when putting this film together.

I also fell in love with the film's music by the great (pun intended) Michel Legrand:

Two more I haven't seen. I'm not sure I've ever even heard of Don't Look Now.

My List
1. Didn't Make The Cut
6. Paper Moon (#74)
22. Hausu (#76)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

The Conformist is is a good film, which incorporates the concepts of sex, facism, and frankly conformism very well. The ending scene is beautiful, and essential to appreciating the film. It wasn't In contention to make my list, but I appreciate the film.

Great scenery too

Haven't seen Don't Look Now, don't care for the Roeg films I have seen.

I have seen 16/30, with 4 from my list.

100.Logan's Run

99. The Omen
+
93. The Holy Mountain
#14 on my list!
89. Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles

88. The Tenant
+ #16 on my list!
87. Saturday Night Fever
+
86. Autumn Sonata

85. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
#4 on my list
84. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
#22 on my list
83. Straw Dogs

80. Assault on Precinct 13
+
79. The Wicker Man
+
77. Mean Streets
+
76. Hausu

72. Don't Look Now
+
71. The Conformist

I wonder what other Roeg films will make the cut. I've never heard of Performance, before just now looking at his filmography, so I'd say that's out. Walkabout, on the other hand, seems more popular than Don't Look Now, so I'm sure that will make it sometime soon. But what about The Man Who Fell to Earth, I hear about it quite a bit, and it was printed on Criterion, I hope it doesn't make it, but it might have a chance.

I would say exactly the same thing about the famous, glorious sex scene in Don't Look Now.
Agreed. Such a beautiful scene that speaks volumes about the relationship and the easing of trauma, much more than words can. Don't Look Now was my number 2 , I've loved it since I saw it on its release back then . The ending scared the crap out of me and my friend, we still talk about it.
It wasn't till years later we went to Venice in the early spring when there wasn't many tourists and the nights were still dark. Believe me, it actually is that creepy late at night!

Who had it at number 3 and 10? Good taste

I wonder what other Roeg films will make the cut. I've never heard of Performance, before just now looking at his filmography, so I'd say that's out. Walkabout, on the other hand, seems more popular than Don't Look Now, so I'm sure that will make it sometime soon. But what about The Man Who Fell to Earth, I hear about it quite a bit, and it was printed on Criterion, I hope it doesn't make it, but it might have a chance.
I loved Walkabout, but I'd be very surprised to see any more films from that director.