Golden Age/Old Time Radio

Tools    

I searched for a thread about this but didn't find one. If there is another one somewhere, please point me in the right direction. I also wasn't sure if this was quite the right forum. It's not really music, but it's radio, so I figured this worked.

Does anyone else listen to Old Time Radio? I really enjoy listening to the radio programs of the 30s and 40s. Here are some of my favorites:

The Lone Ranger
The Green Hornet
The Shadow
The Green Lama
Abbott & Costello
Jack Benny
Burns & Allen
Lux Radio Theater

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
I've listened to a number of Lux Radio theater specials. My favorites are the shortened versions of Cary Grant movies the actors did. I love the atmosphere of them. I swear I was born in the wrong decade...

I've long said I was born in the wrong decade as well. My favorite director is Frank Capra. My favorite fictional character is the Lone Ranger. My favorite comedians are Bob Hope, Jack Benny, Abbott & Costello and the Three Stooges. I enjoy Golden Age comic books more than modern comic books. I listen to OTR more than just about anything.

My favorite Lux episodes are the radio versions of Capra's movies, usually starring the actors from the films. In the days before TV and video, this was how people got to relive their favorite movies. Similar to the "Story of" record albums I had for all the Star Wars movies before we had a VCR. The "Theater of the Mind" can be a fascinating thing.

I still listen to tons of Old Time Radio as well as modern audio drama. My favorite modern shows are throwbacks to the great OTR adventure serials.

Jake Sampson: Monster Hunter follows the title character and his companions Texas Holdem and Lucy Carter as they take on all manner of supernatural occurances. Set in the 1930s, they meet many odd characters, real and fictional, including authors Robert E. Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs. Great action/adventure serial, currently in its sixth story-arc.

The Red Panda Adventures follows the 1930s-40s adventures of Canada's Greatest Super-Hero, the Red Panda, and his sidekick, the Flying Squirrel, as they take on the forces of evil in the city of Toronto. A mix of Batman, the Green Hornet and the Shadow, with a healthy dose of humor, the Red Panda is great fun. Currently in its seventh 12 episode "season."

I recommend both of these shows if you enjoy OTR and audio drama.

Sudoku Blackbelt
I have some Jack Benny, some Lone Ranger, and some Sherlock Holmes.

I also have some of the live Big Band shows.

I think I may have some Johnny Dollar as well.

Oh yeah. Check out this Mercury Theater archive. Lots of MP3s of Orson Welles' old stuff, including the famous "War of the Worlds" broadcast. He did a performance of "The Man Who Was Thursday" as well (Welles was a huge Chesterton fan) than I quite enjoyed; particularly his pitch-perfect introduction.