The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Downloaded DOOM. It's $20 and they've included ALL the DLC as part of the package for free.
Where did you get it? It's $30 on Steam.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Where did you get it? It's $30 on Steam.
PSN for Plus user.

I was under the impression it would be same system wide.

Suspect's Reviews

The People's Republic of Clogher
I have a sizeable backlog of games to play, but when I'm on PC I always end up in PUBG (sucking badly, these days) and on console with Destiny.

I have become something, and I'm not sure that I like what it is.

Yeah, I know a lot of people who've been sucked into that recently. Feels exactly like the way they all got sucked into Overwatch a handful of months ago. These things come and go like trendy restaurants, it seems, and they often tick the same kinds of boxes.

Actually had enough of a lull in a few work/book/movie/show/whatever things this weekend to get through a bunch of old Steam games I purchased on sale. Mostly focusing on the ones that look like they'll be short, or which I can make quick decisions on whether to keep playing. Banged out maybe half a dozen. Refunct was short and very sweet (fun, airy platformer that takes about 30 minutes), Islands: Non-Places was intriguing; not really a game, per se, but interesting, and again, short.

Kingdom: New Lands was really, really addictive for an hour or two, but that's about the most I could get out of it. I played it twice, maybe 2-3 hours total. Really really liked it in that dosage, though I think I'm probably done. I think with some tweaks it could stay addictive a lot longer, but I appreciated the idea of parsimonious resource manager. I tend to love those kinds of games, except that you need to learn every little tech tree and bit of opaque, idiosyncratic terminology to get any good at it. This was surprisingly fun and challenging given how few total options there are. And I'm a sucker not for pixel art (though it can be lovely), but for pixel art where the pixels are a genuine aesthetic choice married to otherwise modern effects (like really attractive lighting), rather than just a cover for a low budget or lack of creativity.

Rusty Lake: Roots is an absolutely bizarre (but good!) puzzle game that manages to be engaging without throwing a bunch of chaff at you. I'll definitely be coming back and finishing that, and I've already purchased the related (I think it came first?) Rusty Hotel. Super weird, though.

Played the first mission in Sniper Elite III. It seems well-made enough, but I can't get excited for games like that any more. I might try it again just to see if it ends up less CoD and more, well, actual sniping. I'd love a good sniping game where I can methodologically pick my spot, setup my targets, eliminate them in efficient/logical order, etc. Not sure if that'll qualify, but I'll give it another chance to.

Lumino City is really lovely, too, but I stopped so I can (probably) play it with Mrs. Yoda later.

At some point I'll need to sit down and clear out some of the bigger games; I've deliberately avoided dabbling in Dishonored 2 or The Witcher 3 because I can pretty safely assume I'll play those almost exclusively when I start, so I'll probably clear out a handful more of these small-to-mid-sized games (time commitment wise) and then finish one of those. Leaning towards Hitman first, since I started the tutorial awhile back and it's taking up the most space on my new SSD. But I've got something like 3-4 legit GOTY games waiting for me, which will be very nice in a couple of months when SpyParty and softball have died down.

I've also got Dishonored 2 to get through. Bought it close to release but bounced off the game pretty hard due to a combination of (now fixed) PC performance issues and an awful VO for Corvo. Never came back to the game.

Oh, I forgot two other games I played recently and really liked: Antihero and Turmoil.

Antihero is a turn-based strategy game. It's got a 19th century London aesthetic, and you play as a Master Thief going around looting buildings, recruiting street urchins to help you infiltrate buildings, and forming street gangs. Your opponent does the same. It works because the aesthetic and voice clips are smooth and it's really well-balanced. Any time you build up a tough enough gang, your opponent can spend a pretty penny on an assassin who can one-hit them (but is expensive enough to only be worthwhile in select situations). Truancy Officers can come and expel houses full of your infiltrating urchins...but you can also set bombs on buildings to protect them from this. And back and forth it goes.

It seems designed for multiplayer, but I just played the campaign, and found it really fun. After you've got the basics down, it throws a lot of fun (but straightforward) wrinkles at you so that each mission (there's maybe 10, I think) feels a little different. I only found one required several attempts to beat, which seems like the right amount of difficulty. If anyone gives this a go, I'd be up for a game.

Turmoil is more of a throwback: I think the total file size was something like 39MB. It's all just simple assets and gameplay mechanics, but it's still pleasant to look at and listen to. You bid on plots of land, scout for oil, setup drills, manage the pipes and the horses to carry it back and forth, and try to get as much as you can in the allotted time. Then you go back into town, bid in more land, and keep going. You can buy upgrades (drill through rock, more horses), bribe oil company officials, and eventually try to become the mayor of the town by buying stock. It was, like Kingdom, almost instantly addictive.

I played through it once (I won, yay, though it took me a bit to get any good at it) and didn't finish a second playthrough. But it's cheap and pleasant and I really enjoyed it.

In both cases, I loved that you could pick the game up, play for a bit, and stop, without missing a beat. Really a testament to how, if you have modest ambitions and execute really well, you can make a very simple/cheap game that's still very good, at least for a few pleasant hours.

I have a sizeable backlog of games to play, but when I'm on PC I always end up in PUBG (sucking badly, these days) and on console with Destiny.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…

Just lie down in the grass. Amirite, amirite?

Just lie down in the grass. Amirite, amirite?

[/size]
The problem is that a little success makes me think I'm a lot better than I actually am, which leads to me attempting ever more elaborate and smart arsed ways to play the game, none of which end well.

When I play Battlegrounds as a stealth/survival horror game I'm fine and it's probably the best route to take when solo. Duos and squads tend to be a lot more high octane, and I'm bringing those bad habits into solo.

Bach to sitting in bushes while the noobs take themselves out.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Just curious, but did any one ever play the short-lived PS3 FPS, DUST514, from CCP Games?

Wow, The Long Dark finally got a 1.0 release!

I'm now gonna download and play it after having it in my library for what seems like a couple of years.

Yeah, I almost came in here a few times to say it was coming up! I haven't played it in awhile either, but I did check in a couple of times. They just keep improving it. Excited to play it with some more specific goals. Early reviews suggest it's not necessarily more enjoyable than playing the sandbox mode, but it'll at least be a nice change of pace, and because they're releasing them as episodes (over quite a long period of time, if the whole "seasons" thing is seen through completely, I would imagine), I think they'll have a chance to evolve and respond to any criticisms.

Just released today and it's already my fourth-most played game on Steam (123 hours). Really an example of Early Access done right: longer than ideal, I suppose, but with really good, really steady progress the whole way, nearly all of which was a clear improvement and not just bloat or motion for its own sake.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Oh god, I might wait even longer...

Originally Posted by Hinterland_Studio_developer 10 Sep, 2014 @ 6:34pm
Yes, we are planning Oculus support, we committed to it during our Kickstarter campaign (it was a stretch goal that we hit), we have DK2 devkits in the studio right now, and a direct line to engineers at Oculus. It's going to happen.
Apparently that's part of a roadmap that fell off a cliff though.

I imagine they hit the locomotion issue, but if they can scale that peak would be a home-made glove fit alright. (Waving torches at wolves, going for desperate bow and arrow shots, striking tinder sparks at tbe kindling you just placed... Crouching to place a rabbit snare as the cold winds blow and... someone going to the kitchen trips over you... Ok, it wouldn't be perfect, but the aesthetic and gameplay could be rad )

/VR leakage

Welcome to the human race...
Finally got around to finishing Dishonoured 2. Won it in low chaos but didn't quite manage to do a pacifist run (but I still managed to non-lethally deal with every major target). I enjoyed it well enough, but I'm not going to argue too hard with people who complained that it was more of the same as the first game. Kind of wished I'd played the first game's DLC now, but at this rate I'd have to pick up the PS4's definitive edition to play it and, unless I find it for really cheap, I probably won't go to that much trouble.

Wow, The Long Dark sure is a survival game, huh? I'll give it a good honest go ... I mean, this might be the game where I enjoy the mechanic, right?

I kinda liked Eidolon, but that was more exploration than survival/crafting and seemed to take place entirely in the head of 90s Eddie Vedder, which made it a must play for me.

WARNING: "90s Eddie Vedder" spoilers below
For reasons of full disclosure, I have fallen asleep at two different Pearl Jam concerts.

Tacoma's out today!

What little I've allowed myself to see shows me something which I think is more personally engaging than Gone Home but still veering towards the player as dispassionate observer rather than the (perhaps superficially) sympathetic character of a Firewatch.

I'll definitely probably buy it, just not right now.

Welcome to the human race...
I started playing Wolfenstein: The New Order on PS4. Only played it for an hour or so, but going straight from Dishonoured 2 to that is quite a change - I have to consciously stop myself from staying crouched the whole time. I'm sure I'll get used to it but I do think that maybe I need to play something that isn't a variation on the FPS action/RPG format.

Pyre's pretty good but it's still not the Supergiant game I can love.

It's a gorgeous looking and sounding, well written visual novel interspersed with Blitzball.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Downloading Doom made me go over my internet data limit. EEEEK.

I don't do unlimited like you folks, Canada is notorious for screwing people over with such things.

So I'm off online playing for a bit. Going to focus on Battlefield 1 Campaign and Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy.