Make Your Picks
Looking for an IMDB forum replacement?
Click here to learn about us.

The Videogames Tab

Tools    

Do not concern yourself w/ the child on the ground
So I'm guessing Persona isn't going to be out for awhile, so I began looking for the next game. It appears to be Resident Evil VII. I start perusing the available pre-order bonuses and they are pitiful. Sorry Capcom, guess I'll wait to read the reviews and possibly not buy the game if it's a poop.

The best pre-order bonus I ever got was with the last RE game (which makes sense, considering how horrid it was). It was an Umbrella umbrella which I gifted to someone who uses it as their go-to brella-ella-ella-ella -eh- eh....

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."

Try out the Nier Automata demo. It looks fantastic - Xenosaga crossed with MGR Revengeance.

Persona V is out in Japan but the English translation isn't coming until April.

Over the last 7 or 8 months I haven't had any new game really grab me (with the exception of playing my buddy's Vive, god that tech is cool). Civ6 feels awesome, I have nothing but great things to say about it, but it couldn't keep me. I struggled with wanting Fallout 4 so bad that I spent literally 6 hours trying to install fallout NV on my computer and running into horrible install problems, finally got it to work, bounced off it in a couple hours, blamed game's age, got a new graphics card later, got fallout 4, bounced off it (though I can tell I'll go back eventually).

But god damn, I've been hooked by DOOM. It's weird I'm even posting this because I hate just saying exactly what others are saying, but it is thrilling. It's funny, the game comes with this reputation for being this ultra-machismo simulator, but I hardly ever feel in control; they nailed the difficulty curve. It feels like it knows that it's pushing how much I think I can handle and getting me to be constantly on the move; almost always running from one demon while shooting at another.

It's great.

Oh, and the sound design is seriously incredible.

Over the last 7 or 8 months I haven't had any new game really grab me (with the exception of playing my buddy's Vive, god that tech is cool). Civ6 feels awesome, I have nothing but great things to say about it, but it couldn't keep me. I struggled with wanting Fallout 4 so bad that I spent literally 6 hours trying to install fallout NV on my computer and running into horrible install problems, finally got it to work, bounced off it in a couple hours, blamed game's age, got a new graphics card later, got fallout 4, bounced off it (though I can tell I'll go back eventually).
I'd be curious to hear more about all this: why you bounced off F4, and why you can tell you'll go back.

Also, please stream it. I've been trying to get people I know to stream F4, particularly if they haven't played much of it before. I will totally watch, possibly for long stretches of time, and I'll even let you control how much information I give (if any) about nearby locations and quests and such.

there's a frog in my snake oil
All this Doom love really does tempt me. But I keep having to remind myself that I don't want to be trapped between two demons . (Basically I worry that a modern day take on all the gore-gasm wouldn't do it for me, as I'm not a horror fan. All round it does sound stellar though, and I do like fast shooters time to time, especially if they've got personality and cunning level design and that. Hmmm).

PS What games worked for you on the Vive? (I'm yet to try VR, and probably shouldn't. My vague plan is to snag a 2nd kit in a few years if it takes hold. It's a good plan. And luckily I can't afford any of my bad plans )

I'd be curious to hear more about all this: why you bounced off F4, and why you can tell you'll go back.

Also, please stream it. I've been trying to get people I know to stream F4, particularly if they haven't played much of it before. I will totally watch, possibly for long stretches of time, and I'll even let you control how much information I give (if any) about nearby locations and quests and such.
You know, I just might do that because it's also a really good fit for streaming and I tried for a little bit to stream games that I want to talk out loud about (One of my favorite experiences of all time was when someone was watching me play the beginner's guide for the first time, because I'd stop for long sections and explain what I was thinking, and it really hit me a lot harder when I actually talked through what I thought about the game).

I loved fallout 3 a lot because I really got in the head space of my imagined character. My favorite experience in the game was actually walking the dad back to the jefferson memorial (for some reason I didn't think I could fast travel). As far as I can tell, it's the longest my character got to spend with her dad after the separation, and I kinda got to experience that (that and the dad felt the need to karate chop every single boatfly in a 100 yard radius on the way there).

So I think I'll be more into fallout 4 when I can get in the role playing side, and that might be easier when I'm in talking mode. I'll ponder a bit more, a VOD might appear out of nowhere during a late night session while I see if I like streaming it.

All this Doom love really does tempt me. But I keep having to remind myself that I don't want to be trapped between two demons . (Basically I worry that a modern day take on all the gore-gasm wouldn't do it for me, as I'm not a horror fan. All round it does sound stellar though, and I do like fast shooters time to time, especially if they've got personality and cunning level design and that. Hmmm).
Honestly I don't care for gore at all. I don't watch game of thrones because of it. I saw one particularly gruesome MK fatality and I've actively avoided seeing any more since.

But really, the gore in this game doesn't get to me even a little bit. It feels so played up that there's just such a clear disconnect that it's like seeing Tarantino gore.

It's a very fast shooter, it's got personality, but not the dominant personality that people mean when they say personality (firefly-esque witties tossed between characters); though I don't know if I'd say the level design is cunning per se, it's just very functional (finding secrets is a lot of fun though, and often you'll see something and just know there's something off about it that there's a secret there).

PS What games worked for you on the Vive? (I'm yet to try VR, and probably shouldn't. My vague plan is to snag a 2nd kit in a few years if it takes hold. It's a good plan. And luckily I can't afford any of my bad plans )
A lot of stuff honestly, my head was swimming after the first time.

One of the best parts was part of Zombie simulator where there's a speed challenge to shoot 4 zombies as quickly as possible. I realized that the fastest I could get was by holding up one hand and pointing it at one zombie, holding that hand as still as possible while I looked in the opposite direction and lined up a shot on the other one, pulled the triggers at the same time and instantly moved my other hands to line up on the others. The simple act of aiming at something you're not actually looking at really tickled my brain. It was like learning object permanence all over again. The normal campaign of that game is just kinda aight though, there will be better versions of it.

The archery games have been pretty good. The archery game that comes with the lab has a lot of great haptic feedback on the vive controllers that make it feel like you're pulling a string. And when it gets stressful it gets super immersive. The other archery game is probably even better though, Holopoint. The gameplay premise is suuuuper simple. There are cubes that shoot at you after a few seconds unless you hit it first, but even when you hit the cube, it'll shoot a projectile at the location you shot it from. This forces you to constantly be on the move in ridiculous ways. I'm in decent shape. I was sweaty and out of breath after 20 minutes of this. I just forgot about this until now, but I actually was running around so much that I kicked the wall so hard the front of my toenail came off on my pinky toe and I was bleeding pretty badly but I had NO IDEA because I was so immersed. The people watching me didn't even notice til we saw the blood all over the hardwood floor.

I also enjoyed the spaceship game in the Lab a lot. Waltz of the wizard was a great tech demo, and I hope they put that in a full game (like a VR Magicka). It's also just a ton of fun to watch someone play it in person. My girlfriend got in a shootout and it was awesome watching her crouch and roll around while she was hiding under an office desk in the game. My buddy got tilt brush since I was last there a week or so ago and has been raving about it.

That said, after having played it for about 5-6 hours by now, I think the most exciting thing is the promise. After the first night I very nearly bought my own, but now I'm content to wait until we really capitalize on this. I'm happy that Valve is involved so heavily in bringing this about, I've always been upset that so much of the Wii's potential was squandered by Nintendo's refusal to really open up their platform to independent devs, but I think this will really be something special.

Even then, once there's a few games out that really use the tech I've seen so far in a full fledged game experience, I'd drop 800 on it, no question (and I'm pretty frugal).

there's a frog in my snake oil
But really, the gore in this game doesn't get to me even a little bit. It feels so played up that there's just such a clear disconnect that it's like seeing Tarantino gore.

It's a very fast shooter, it's got personality, but not the dominant personality that people mean when they say personality (firefly-esque witties tossed between characters); though I don't know if I'd say the level design is cunning per se, it's just very functional (finding secrets is a lot of fun though, and often you'll see something and just know there's something off about it that there's a secret there).
Cool, I need to check out some footage for sure. (Yeah I'd heard secrets were one of the things they'd replicated well, plus the flow of action). I normally lean to slower / co-op / vehicle shooters generally, but Titanfall has speeded me up a bit, and it's definitely getting a lot of love.

The simple act of aiming at something you're not actually looking at really tickled my brain. It was like learning object permanence all over again...
That sounds great . There does feel like this world of potential out there for novel gaming and experiences. There was an interesting launch game called Esper 2 that deliberately messed with players by changing objects and characters when they moved out of sightline, for physics puzzles and narrative twists. It look like it supported the 'psychic detective' trappings pretty well.

...This forces you to constantly be on the move in ridiculous ways. I'm in decent shape. I was sweaty and out of breath after 20 minutes of this. I just forgot about this until now, but I actually was running around so much that I kicked the wall so hard the front of my toenail came off on my pinky toe and I was bleeding pretty badly but I had NO IDEA because I was so immersed. The people watching me didn't even notice til we saw the blood all over the hardwood floor....

I also enjoyed the spaceship game in the Lab a lot. Waltz of the wizard was a great tech demo, and I hope they put that in a full game (like a VR Magicka). It's also just a ton of fun to watch someone play it in person. My girlfriend got in a shootout and it was awesome watching her crouch and roll around while she was hiding under an office desk in the game. My buddy got tilt brush since I was last there a week or so ago and has been raving about it.
Yeah the full-immersion injuries seem to really rack up! (I'm kinda intrigued by some art installation stuff that uses bigger floor spaces. Apparently by representing a 90 degree turn as an 80 degree one you can trick people into believing they're in a completely unfettered world).

And my god, I would so pay for a VR Magicka . Setting your own head on fire by mistake would be something else...

That said, after having played it for about 5-6 hours by now, I think the most exciting thing is the promise. After the first night I very nearly bought my own, but now I'm content to wait until we really capitalize on this. I'm happy that Valve is involved so heavily in bringing this about, I've always been upset that so much of the Wii's potential was squandered by Nintendo's refusal to really open up their platform to independent devs, but I think this will really be something special.
Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the strategy though. Currently it seems most Devs are relying on some kind of financial support from the tech platforms. Not sure it's a great space for AAA at any rate, and not sure all the high-end users will be satisfied with indie output. Hopefully all the experimenting at the cheaper end of the scale will truffle out some killer apps tho

Today is a glorious day. I've witnessed a miracle. For the first time in years, I can actually, finally play Jade Empire. I was told great things about it, but no matter what I did I could never get it to work.

2017 is already off to a great start.

Do not concern yourself w/ the child on the ground

Sign me up. I'm sure this is going to be overpriced, but...

So I finally watched the Resident Evil 7 trailer. Right? I have literally read nothing, seen nothing, and my basic summary = Texas Chainsaw Massacre the game.

Read Only Memories cost me £2 max. It's been out on PC for quite a while and I picked it up in a sale.

It's cute but I didn't think it was any more than ok.

RE7 looks like a return to form, and by 'form' I mean actual survival horror and not an action game with tank controls (RE4 and onwards).

Just finished my second Hitman playthrough, using different methods to the first time, and it was as satisfying as ever. It's one hell of a game, whether on PC or console - The only real console downside is the horrendous load times.

Some might say, it's the game of the year.

Now to attack my backlog - I bought a number of PS4 games on disc in the post-Christmas sales and still have Watch Dogs 2 and Dishonored 2 in my Steam 'To play' folder.

In other news, I'm now a genuine E-Sportsm'n, having done a Pinball Arcade tournament in the latest Games Done Quick thingie. I was top 100, which pleased me immensely as I hadn't played half the tables before.

I think I like pinball even more now than I did when I was 25...

Finally getting away from the bash-style of play and made a Skaven team in Blood Bowl 2, the fast moving squishy ratpeople race. Immediately won my next 2 games.

The name of my team? The Garbage Can Elite. My poor Rat Ogre died, and hes one of the few pieces of muscle on a Skaven team. Halfway there to getting enough fake-money to buy another one.

Finished Just Cause 3. Just 28 hours, and that's after liberating every settlement and finishing the main storyline. I played the second game in the series for over 100 hours, so I dunno if I'm just better at efficiently plowing through those areas, or if they're a little simpler this time. It seems like a bit of both: I recall (accurately or not) a bit more variation in them last time, or at least a few more elaborate cities with all sorts of chaos objects tucked away.

It's a pretty great game, though, and if you had any fun with JC2, you'll love JC3. The story missions alternate between tedious and fun, to be sure, but they never go on too long even when they're on the tedious side.

I'll probably spend an hour here or there just experimenting and blowing stuff up, especially if I can unlock (in-game or through mods) infinite ammo and the like. And I'll keep buying the JC games if they're still generally like this, even though this one went by three times as fast as the last one. Weirdly, that's almost nice, since I'd feel obligated to keep going if it were larger and I've got plenty else to play.

Super fun, improved iteration on a winning formula, and one of the prettiest games ever made. Highly recommended.

So is anyone here planning on getting The Switch? My Wii U has been collecting dust for months so I'm gonna trade it in and all my games for it and that will just about completely cover it. It's crazy how soon it's coming out, it seemed like not too long ago that they first revealed the name.

I'm on the fence. I strongly suspect they have a hit on their hands here (maybe not as huge as the Wii, but certainly a big improvement on the Wii U), but with the Mario title not even launching alongside I might be able to wait.

That said, an open world Zelda game...oof. Hard to resist. But I've got lots of PC games still to play, so odds are good I'll wait awhile.

I'm on the fence. I strongly suspect they have a hit on their hands here (maybe not as huge as the Wii, but certainly a bit improvement on the Wii U), but with the Mario title not even launching alongside I might be able to wait.

That said, an open world Zelda game...oof. Hard to resist. But I've got lots of PC games still to play, so odds are good I'll wait awhile.
It's always exciting when a new console comes out, the launch titles are pretty underwhelming with the exception of Zelda of course but just that should keep me busy until the next game launches.

They really need to learn from the Wii U and make sure that there's not a huge shortage of games. It's a shame because I did think the Wii U was a pretty good console, but there just wasn't enough games to keep people interested!

I've cooled dramatically on the Switch since it was first announced.

It looks to me like they're concentrating on trying to replicate the path to success of the original Wii and are forgetting about the 3DS. In a product that's supposed to replace their console and their handheld I find that strange - Things I've read from people who were at the press launch indicate that that they weren't demonstrating the touch screen at all.

The party games look neat but so many of them seem to be based on sound recognition. So, quiet parties then?

At least there's one person who's ok with the teeny controllers...