The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Movies

→ in
Tools    

I do remember that conversation. Ahh...the good ole days

Sci-fi can be a hard one to nail down as there's no one size description fits all. Just an IMO, if a movie feels like sci fi to me, then it's sci-fi Mark Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court, that would seem like fantasy. In the first Mad Max, I don't remember any talk about a catastrophic event that destroyed the world. To me it seemed to be about one lone cop who lived in the middle of nowhere and was harassed by motorcycle bandits. Has anybody seen that film lately? Do they talk about post apocalyptic stuff?

Road Warrior
and Thunderdome do clearly have a post apocalyptic society going on, so yeah they're sci fi. Not hard core sci fi, but still enough to call it sci fi.
I case can be made that if Mad Max existed by itself without the sequels it would not be science fiction because it wasn't intended as such, and was filmed in a bleak setting for budgetary reasons. I do believe it was intended to be set in a near future, but I'm not sure. However, once all the fans took it as science fiction, the sequels clearly embraced the post-apocalyptic themes. And that qualifies the whole series as science fiction.

Ugh, this thread is terrible.
I have to disagree, I first read this thread four years ago and it was great then!

Areas of grey came up with dystopian futures (or maybe even extremely near futures, like tomorrow). For example, is The Road a science fiction? Is 1984 considered science fiction? Does sci-fi cease to be such once the time in reference is in our past?
Yes, Back to the Future Part II stopped being Sci-Fi last year. You can't pick it.

Generally, Frankenstein is considered the first literary work of science fiction.
I didn't read the book until long after I'd seen the movies, but I was expecting long chapters depicting biological experiments, surgical procedures and the use of captured electricity to re-ignite the electrical synapses of a human brain.
But, although the scientific concept is there, the story is very light on science. There's no great detail regarding Dr. Frankenstein's work in his laboratory. (Should this post have a spoiler alert?)

I have no idea what this means haha
'Tis a sci-fi thread started only yesterday ....

.... never mind - I'll get me hat and coat

Cronenberg calls it a horror film, which I've always thought, and part romance, which I've always thought. A Sci-Fi element doesn't make it a Sci-Fi film.

With a countdown celebrating Sci-Fi, I think that should be the dominant genre of the movies that show up.
The Fly is about equal. The telepods are in the film throughout and the actual horror part: the transformation (which is also Sci-Fi) is durring the last half an hour or so.

With a countdown celebrating Sci-Fi, I think that should be the dominant genre of the movies that show up.
The Fly is about equal. The telepods are in the film throughout and the actual horror part: the transformation (which is also Sci-Fi) is durring the last half an hour or so.
Besides a horror genre and a sci-fi genre, there's legitimate grounds for a sci fi-horror genre. Which is different than describing a film as sci-fi, horror. Many sci fi films are horror based, that goes back to Frankenstein.