Mission: Impossible (Opinions)

→ in
Tools    

Guy
What did you guys think of M:I. I just watched it for the second time (originally saw it a couple years ago) and it was good. Not your average action movie, it was complex, which sets it apart from the sequel. I don't think you can compare it to the sequel, they're two different types of films. The first one is more of a clever flick while the second is a John Woo action film.

What do you guys think of M:I?

Needlessly complicated without being clever, dumbed-down action for the lowest common denominator, and has absolutely none of the charm and feeling of the TV series. No wonder it was a hit, I thought it was horrible.

Yet as awful as the first Mission:Impossible was under DePalma, that hunk of junk looked like Chinatown compared to Woo's sequel. Sadly, Chinatown scribe Robert Towne actually worked on both scripts. The second one, which steals much of its spine from Hitchcock's Notorious, is even more insultingly dumb than the first flick.

I'd rather go to the dentist than watch either movie.

You did ask.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You kiddin' me? The first was very, very good. The second, admittedly, had a transparent plot...propped up by a few exciting scenes alone. M:I was clever...the operation in Langley is classic...and the actors in it aren't even dead yet.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I got hooked on M:I when it came out, then M:I - 2 came out, and I liked it more simply because there were less gadgetries, and more action. Plus, Anthony Hopkins!!

In Mission: Impossible, I think the cleverness of it all was what drew me in, the poison in the coffee, the dynamite gum, the face changing(which became really lame in the sequel). Stuff like that made it somewhat enjoyable, but still didn't make you feel like you were watching a 007 movie.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

The first time I watch Mission Impossible I just thought it was that same old hollywood take on things but the next time I watch it the atmosphere got me so hook it was like drugs there a lot of positive things about this film one the score was done with style and didn't distroy it like M I : 2 another thing was Stephen H. Burum's cinematography which was a higlight for me all the stuff De Palma and him have done impresses me. Althought it wasn't hard to get what was going on it's one of my favorite of the hollywood fluff.
________
Og Kush Seeds

Guy
Originally posted by L .B . Jeffries
The first time I watch Mission Impossible I just thought it was that same old hollywood take on things but the next time I watch it the atmosphere got me so hook it was like drugs there a lot of positive things about this film one the score was done with style and didn't distroy it like M I : 2 another thing was Stephen H. Burum's cinematography which was a higlight for me all the stuff De Palma and him have done impresses me. Althought it wasn't hard to get what was going on it's one of my favorite of the hollywood fluff.
I agree, I thought the cinematography was excellent! De Palma also used some effective moves, I liked the 'restaurant scene' where he used close ups of tom cruise and the guy he was talking to along with flash cuts!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
It's been a while since I've seen Mission: Impossible. I might need to go find it and bring it home. Would be a nice addition to the collection.

The first time I saw Mission Impossible a few years ago I really enjoyed it. But after watching it recently and after seeing other films, albeit newer films, I no longer think it is as good as my original viewing. For example, I feel Mission Impossible and The Bourne Identity is a fair comparison and I find Bourne much more captivating.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Mission Impossible

Mission Impossible II

Mission Impossible III

Suspect's Reviews

there is only one master piece mission impossible movie
this is part one

part 2 and 3 are only another james bond movie trash

keywords for a good mission impossible movie
mystery, stealth, being smart, team work

keywords for a trash mission impossible movie
blowing every thing in your way, lot of women, one man show

Employee of the Month
I like the third part the most, mainly because of the good actors (all of them) and another sensational performance by Philip Seymour Hoffmann. The action was also very satisfying.

I liked the third one very much. This is because I liked the way the action scenes were directed and edited – plus I loved how the music fit in. The photography was also top notch in MI3. This is a really big issue with me. Films that have great photography get my attention. Movies are mostly visual, though music is really important too.

I will admit that MI3 had many holes in the story (such as Tom suddenly being able to mimic his bosses voice in the air shaft, when earlier in the film setting up such a trick was very complicated and involved doing voice downloads and so on).

But overall I thought it was some of Tom’s best acting.
I did not like MI1 or MI2, even though I love Tony Hopkins.
I would watch a MI4 movie, just to see where they would take it.