Movies you think are dated

Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Cimarron (1931) - Best picture winner is definitely dated. It's racist and the acting is awful. I had a hard time watching the whole thing. (The Public Enemy from the same year is not dated at all, to me).

And I think the racism in Gone with the Wind (1939), The Sante Fe Trail (1940) and Northwest Passage (1940) makes them all dated.

I loved all three of those movies when I was younger.
What do you mean sugar?

Next thing you'll tell me they don't erect statues to men who abandon their families.

Worst best picture winner.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
No way. The Broadway Melody, Cavalcade and Ordinary People are definitely worse, even if The Broadway Melody is damn sexy.

I can think of plenty of films that might be considered 'dated', but that's part of the attraction for me. Whether it be the fashions, attitudes, special effects or subject matter; I often think being 'dated' only adds to a film's charm and my sense of escapism. Some films can viewed as historical documents or period time capsules, others merely serve as sources of amusement due to their old fashioned effects or seemingly cheesy fashions (which would have been cutting edge cool at the time). I think this is to be celebrated, especially by people who consider themselves film lovers; after all it's nigh on unavoidable so why not embrace and learn to love it

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
No way. The Broadway Melody, Cavalcade and Ordinary People are definitely worse, even if The Broadway Melody is damn sexy.
Well at least Queeny was sexy.

Revenge is a meal best served cold.
I'll have to disagree w/ Terminator. I just watched Terminator for the first time about a week ago and loved it. Yes, it was made in the 80's, but it was set in the 80's. Still works if you ask me.

One movie I loved as a kid but the flight scenes just aren't holding up to the times is Top Gun imho. Hell, many may have not even liked it from the beginning.

Banned from Hollywood.
In terms of DIALOGUE..Pretty much most of the movies before 1966, 67 are quite dated ...I mean the first movie to use the word "f*uck" was Ulysses (1967) ..and it was found grotesque at the time and was banned..Imagine what it must have felt for people who read the james joyce book in 1923.where it was banned in ireland for more than a decade...

different society, different values,...things have changed quite a lot over the last 40 years apparently and obviously...

as far as DIRECTION goes, there are quite a lot of old movies that are far superior in style..considering the limited technology they had back then.

What movie is that? I think it looks kinda cool.
Reminds me of the video to Tonight Tonight by The Smashing Pumpkins.
That's because the Pumpkins' video was based on the Melies film.

I just saw Seven Samurai, for the most part I found it somewhat boring.

I guess that it is hailed as such a masterpiece largely on the basis of its influence.
No. It's hailed as a masterpiece based on its (perceived) quality.

Hackers

Not sure if it represents NYC teens of 1995...I am from California and none of the teens I have known looked like these.

Also, the technology is dated for sure. A cheesy movie that just seems out of touch to me.

In terms of DIALOGUE..Pretty much most of the movies before 1966, 67 are quite dated ...
different society, different values,...things have changed quite a lot over the last 40 years apparently and obviously...

as far as DIRECTION goes, there are quite a lot of old movies that are far superior in style..considering the limited technology they had back then.
Here's a question, regnif: Would you consider West Side Story (1961) dated? What about Sound of Music or Dr. Zhivago?? How about Lawrence of Arabia, or most of the older James Bond movies? Just curious.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Untouchables. This movie is very dated already. Good guys vs. bad guys. Elliot Ness and his crew are so boring and generic, and DeNiro's Capone is so 1-dimensional. The scene with the shootout on the bridge is laughably ridiculous as are a bunch of other scenes. It feels like a parody of Mob films. How this film is considered a classic is beyond me.

I think just about every movie made becomes dated after a year or so. But that dosent mean they are not good movies.

The Untouchables. This movie is very dated already. Good guys vs. bad guys. Elliot Ness and his crew are so boring and generic, and DeNiro's Capone is so 1-dimensional. The scene with the shootout on the bridge is laughably ridiculous as are a bunch of other scenes. It feels like a parody of Mob films. How this film is considered a classic is beyond me.
Ooo a bit harsh

Finished here. It's been fun.
Maybe I was a bit harsh but the film just feels very weak compared to other mob/gangster films. Maybe it's just me, but the movie just rubbed me the wrong way.

Dated? Goddard comes to my mind.

Goddard's films appear to be very dated, specially Breathless.

Some of Hitchcock's films are also quite dated, such as Notorious (I mean, it was considered all normal back them for a men that look's 65 to marry a woman that looks 25?, Vertigo already suffered a bit, given the male protagonist was about twice the age of the female (49 to 25, actually)).

Another film that felt really dated for me was Casablanca.

emm..well all classics basically are dated since they are 50+ years old. Or I am missing the meaning of the term?

Dated? Goddard comes to my mind.

Goddard's films appear to be very dated, specially Breathless.

Some of Hitchcock's films are also quite dated, such as Notorious (I mean, it was considered all normal back them for a men that look's 65 to marry a woman that looks 25?, Vertigo already suffered a bit, given the male protagonist was about twice the age of the female (49 to 25, actually)).

Another film that felt really dated for me was Casablanca.
Breathless to me felt like a film made by a director attempting to create something fresh and new, very stylish and 'cool', obviously it Godard was quite important in revolutionising cinema and the film would have impacted on a lot of others, so it's feel will have been reflected in a lot of films since, so maybe it feels dated in that way where as it might have been more 'fresh' at the time. But I still found it very cool, it's the only film where I have seen such unusual jump cut editing.

Vertigo I wouldn't say is dated, it's main strengths are in the themes it deals with with the characters, and for me the ages are not important, masculinity, domination, obsession etc. are all issues that a lot of people find important and are still very relevant today, it's a very personal film and this can be felt, it's risen over the years in terms of critical appeal and was recently voted the top critics film of all time, so I would say that it is definitely not dated.

Casablanca feels like it was made in the era that it was, yeh, but I would say most Bogart films do, this is not a bad thing though, I love the old, stylish feel of them.