The House, M.D. Thread

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
So you like the show House, huh? Come on in and tell us about it.

I've got a lot I'd like to go into, but I'll have to post that later.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I guess I need to get this going here.

Honestly, I haven't really liked a lot of the episodes this season. There have been a few good ones here and there, but I'm enjoying the marathon's on USA more than the new episodes.

Anyone have anything else to add?

The new season starts here next month (I think) so I don't know what's happened since the end of last season. I must say though that, although I like House, last season I found myself less and less bothered about it. By the end, I could've done with a ten minute episode, detailing all the character developments and got rid of the case(s) entirely. It's good, but so episodic that I'm still suprised that it gets the critical attention and praise that it does. Except for this scene, of course.

One of the best scenes in American TV history.

Don't have a lot to say yet, because I'm catching up on the series. Wayyyy out of order, too. Started in the middle of season 3, doubled back to catch the beginning of the season, then a few episodes from season 2, then all of season 4, and now back where I left off at season 2. Long story involving Blockbuster, Netflix, and other such things.

Anyway, I can't really figure out why I like this show. At least, I can't figure out why I still like it. It's highly formulaic and they seem to be testing for the same dozen things almost every episode. The number of drinking games you could play with this show is astronomical.

But, here I am, eagerly looking forward to getting through seasons 1 and 2.

Don't have much else to say yet, since I haven't seen the current season at all. I suppose all I'll say is that I thought season 4 was absolutely fantastic from start to finish.

BANNED
If you have Netflix and X-Box 360, you can just have a casual marathon of season 1-4 (with breaks of course) on your TV.

Anyway, I can't really figure out why I like this show. At least, I can't figure out why I still like it. It's highly formulaic and they seem to be testing for the same dozen things almost every episode. The number of drinking games you could play with this show is astronomical.
Yeah, I've been noticing that more and more and more as this season progresses. I just wish it would get back to what made the show great to begin with. It's like their toning House down and he's not himself.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Don't have a lot to say yet, because I'm catching up on the series. Wayyyy out of order, two. Started in the middle of season 3, doubled back to catch the beginning of the season, then a few episodes from season 2, then all of season 4, and now back where I left off at season 2. Long story involving Blockbuster, Netflix, and other such things.

But, here I am, eagerly looking forward to getting through seasons 1 and 2.

Don't have much else to say yet, since I haven't seen the current season at all. I suppose all I'll say is that I thought season 4 was absolutely fantastic from start to finish.
I could have written most of this myself.
I've been drawn into the show recently, despite it being so formulaic you could set your watch by it. The characters are interesting and the dialogue is fun. It's not one I would rush home to be sure not to miss, but I've never turned off an episode.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I'm not a fan of the show personaly.
Are you a fan of the show impersonally ?

I enjoy "House." I like his dark and cynical humor toward people and religion, as I feel the same way about those things and I do like that we have a medical show that deals with doctors as treating the illnesses of patients vs. holding their hands.

My girlfriend watches it and has every episode on DVD, up until season five. I've probably watched 10-20 episodes with her. It's a very decent TV show and I don't really even like TV that much.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Manolo, Shoot That Piece Of Sh*t!
Love the show, I have season 1-4

Greets
Spikez

Spikez's DVD Collection

Last Movie Seen: The Breakfast Club

I'm getting anxious to see how the new season will go. This will either be a really good season, or signs that the show has run its course.

Hugh Laurie is an excellent actor and definately the reason why the show succeeds so well. His delivery is perfect and draws me in every single week. Ive missed much of season five to poker but very eagerly await the release of the boxset in Australia. Very freaking eagerly.

I'm getting anxious to see how the new season will go. This will either be a really good season, or signs that the show has run its course.
I completely agree. The end of Season 5 wouldn't seem to leave them with many options.

WARNING: "Season 5 finale of House" spoilers below
He went into rehab once before, and we know he was able to bribe his way into keeping the addiction going, so I can't imagine they're going to repeat that whole thing. Maybe they could make a really grand, really elaborate manner of cheating the system work, but it'd feel a little repetitive. They've already shown us how far he'll go to maintain his addiction; having him cheat rehab again would be a bit much. I don't think that'll happen. If it does, it'll be part of something else/something bigger.

That means he either starts to get better--which would seem to be the beginning of the end of the series as we know it--or else they've got something up their sleeve.

One thing that might work is him going through rehab and somehow getting his leg fixed...and still being a jerk. The series could end a number of less-than-perfect ways from this point, though all of them would feel more realistic than some "happy" version where he self-destructs, is faced with irrefutable proof that his personality is only amplified by his pain, and not caused by it, etc. I kind of hope they go this way. I can't imagine the overarching message of the series being anything other than a warning about how even House can't escape the consequences of his actions.

Anyway, I've been pleasantly surprised by how the show has managed to make all its twists and turns over the last couple of seasons feel organic, so I have a fair amount of confidence that Season 6 will go in some interesting directions. I really can't see how they write their way out of this one to approach a degree of the character's normalcy again, but maybe they don't have to. We'll see.

Re: viddy's comments about the show's tone. It's true that the character himself is cynical towards people and religion, but I don't think the show as a whole is. It often portrays that cynicism in a negative light, even when it's technically accurate. If anything, I think it's about the inevitable despair that such thinking leads to. House values truth even though his own worldview gives him no reason to, and he finds himself chasing answers he'll never get. It's one of the reasons he's miserable.

Manolo, Shoot That Piece Of Sh*t!
I was very surprised when I found out dude was british. His american accent is flawless.
yeah, me too, when I was watching the extra's, I suddenly heared him talk with a british accent, I was like "nice acting dude", since then I have seen him in a lot of shows like blackadder, Friends, and he talks really really brittish, it's funny.

He's also in Stuart Little and Monsters Vs. Aliens.

As far as Season 6, Yoda I agree completely. Since Fox is re-airing Season 5 during the summer months, I watched the episode that was on last night, where the husband uncontrollably says what he's thinking. After the episode aired, they showed a bit of a teaser for Season 6, which shows House with a thick beard, and short hair. It also shows him being carried (possibly against his will) back into the hospital.

While much of what will happen in the new season is still speculation, I wonder exactly how long he'll be in the hospital this time around. Could he spend the entire season consulting from within the walls of the mental hospital? I don't know anything, or claim to know anything, just curious as I'm sure you all are.

Well, it's tonight; a big 'ol 2-hour premiere. I'm intrigued, but I can't help but feel this is the beginning of the end for House, for the reasons discussed earlier. I don't mean that it'll be a bad show, or end all that quickly, I just think they've left themselves with nowhere to go and the series will have to beginning its third act in some form or another.

I could be wrong, and the writers could completely blindside us with something brilliant that allows them to simultaneously get through the rehab plotline in a fresh way without robbing the character of everything that makes him what he is, but I can't yet imagine what that might be.

Meanwhile, how I'm so entertained by such a formulaic show is still a completely mystery to me. Perhaps it's got something to do with the caliber of the acting involved, which seems likely. That and the weird mix of in-episode predictability, contrasted with season-long unpredictability.

I'm eagerly anticipating tonight's show. I'm hoping that this season pumps some more life into the series. This last season just seemed to drag a little bit.

Still on season 5 over here.
Which i thought was better than the rather awful season 4.

But "House" went down after the superb first 3 seasons for me (the odd episode aside) the choosing of the new help was too long, and those chosen were non-entities anyway really.

But the deep pit of crud was in "97 Seconds" when the gloriously Atheist House actually went to farcical (and lethal) extremes just to see if he could be wrong about God and the afterlife and blah blah.
It was a disgrace to the character! Awful episode.

The 4th season also lost the excellent 'Clinic' sequences. A big mistake.

If Season 6 does not perform miracles, I'll just stick with the wonderful first 3 season and pretend the rest don't exist.