Game of Thrones Season 2

Tools    

Agree it's hard to reserve judgement till seen the writers decisions play out. Definitely agree about Arya in regard to giving some brilliant chemistry with new scenes involving Tywin and not even too annoyed her names changed. Would have like Weasel soup, it's kind of a turning point for her character and a shame we won't get that scene with The Tickler down the road.

I'm a bit annoyed they've cut Jon's warging and downplayed Bran's. Hopefully the Reeds will bring that element to the fore next season. Robb and Catelyn's decisions were idiotic in the book as well, and they're still idiotic despite changes so can live with that. Winterfell needed some establishing shots of Theon coming over the wall, just to give some context to the scene and scale. Winterfell just seems like that one courtyard and a couple of rooms and about 20 citizens. Theon's force being able to hold it doesn't really weigh up. Rodrik's death does make thematic/dramatic sense for Theon and was probably the scene of the season so far, liked the book scene with Ramsay though. Was first OMG moment for me, I think.

That all said, biggest annoyance is how they cut Renly's peach. Such a fantastically metaphorical moment that summarised his character to a tee and would have been extremely easy to include.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Agree about the peach and you bring up some things that have actually been bugging me:

The weasel soup brings up the idea that they are whitewashing Arya. Does it come down to the fact that they don't want to turn off viewers? Can't make the cute Stark girl a killer!

Robb Stark -- wow, the more I think about this, the more angry I am. He married Jeyne for HONOR -- the very thing his father died for. Of course, at the same time, he breaks his honor with the Freys. It seems to be more a moral dilemma and Robb is very much his father's son.

Here, it's like he's decided to mess around with a girl he likes. It takes away the greater theme of honor.

And I love the warging, too, and I also think Jon is getting pushed around a bit and I'm not liking that either.

I don't know, I know adaptation is hard, but I think the spirit of the book and the characters should remain true. They are messing with characters and their motivations/actions. Further, Tyrion isn't a total hero -- he can be rather ruthless. Is he being whitewashed, too?

Out of all this, I dislike the change to Robb's story the most. I do love the actor, though, and I think he's doing a great job.

I liked Madden's Robb, except he has ZERO chemistry with Jeyne and those scenes are so awkward, I cringe. I think that's probably why Martin kept it as an event heard of not seen because it's hard to justify Robb getting with her and forsaking his vows. At least if he was injured and being nursed there's a more believable and sympathetic motivation for it, instead some chick he's flirted with over several episodes then gets on. Hopefully they'll focus more on his honour if he marries her and that dilemma over the initial act.

I'm more concerned about the fact Tyrion isn't really doing in KL what he's meant to be. It's meant to show us his brilliant mind, so far he's not really done anything. There's no scheming, no military tactics, no chain, wildfire wasn't his idea, no training etc. In fact last episode made him seem rather incompetent at the job.

Plus, the escape scene is when Arya gets her first cold blooded kill. I don't see how they can white wash her story when she becomes Cat of the Canals and that IS her story.

How hard would it be for some throw away lines of wolf dreams from Jon, or some POV shots from Ghost. Pssshk.

I really miss Jojen's green dreams, fantastic sense of foreboding they gave. Seeing the peeled faces of Bran and Rickon etc.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
But the nurse gal is hot!!!!! and the granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin!!!!

Suspect's Reviews

It works better in the books when he's a horny teen, though making her super hot definitely helps emphasise with his 2 seconds romp.

POTENTIAL SPOILER it's not the sexing that's the mistake though, it's the subsequent marrying.

The season is winding down. Who is going to fall?

One of the best shows on the tube.

Stephen Dillane has made me like Stannis infinitely more, especially as he seems to be leading the charge against Kings Landing

I'm keeping my eyes on the lower half of the page while I type this so I'll avoid reading anything. I'm catching up now and should be caught up sometime around Monday, if yesterday's pace keeps up. I'll be sure to pop in then to see what everyone's been saying.

Through about two and a half episodes, I still love it, but I do find it slightly less compelling than it was in the first season. But I'll be stunned if it doesn't get a lot crazier very soon.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Oh yea, great battle sequence. The wildfire was great!

My only problem with this episode was too much Cersei. I cannot stand her. I have trouble watching the actress and how she talks. I hate the character with a passion. I want to rematch but I'm not sure I can take watching her again.

But it was a pretty great episode. And I really didn't want Tyrion to lose his nose.

Best episode of TV ever. Literally was grinning and clapping at some bits. Loved how they finally hit pretty much every beat that made the books great along with some additional ones too. Suppose that's be the benefit of having GRRM write it. Only bit missing was Renly's ghost and the little bird's song. Definitely redeemed slightly lacking season.

Magnificent episode! Narrowing their focus to just King's Landing really made it that much more gripping and involving. Battle scenes were awesome, and every performer pulled their weight, even Sansa, who's usually a bore. Peter Dinklage was truly brilliant, not that we've come to expect anything less.

I loved seeing the Hound show his weakness and decide to blow off the king. The rock over the head scene was awesome too.

What do you mean?

Was more aimed at book readers but, say with Bran and Rickon (don't want to mention the added extra couple), audience was led to believe they were dead then it was revealed they weren't. So when characters die later on, wondering if TV viewers will expect them to be alive again after all the fake outs previously

Oh I get what you mean. Maybe they will make their deaths gory?

Keep on Rockin in the Free World

Oof. Well, I caught up last night, and I'm starting to read through this thread...and I see tons of random discussion about the books and what happens next in them. So I guess I can't read it after all.

Might be worthwhile to have a thread for people who are just watching the TV show, and want to talk about it without having likely show developments spoiled by talk of what happens later in the books. Either that or, like, a third of what's been written needs spoiler tags.

Yeah, lol, my boyfriend hates that I'm finding more information faster without intentionally doing it because he thinks it ruins it for me, but I don't think it does because then I just find out I'm right about my theory on some characters and that I am wrong on others.

So really I agree with you Yoda, just took me a day to say so. lol

Not sure how all the death fake outs this season are going to wash with fans when the big ones come along
Do not read this unless you've read the most recent book.

For me, one of the biggest shockers was
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
Aegon.
Who the **** saw that coming? Granted, it's much later in A Dance with Dragons, but still...